Technical Articles A central location for technical articles gathered from throughout the community and internet.

Air Filter Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by footballplaya3k
I'd rather be safe and not have a shitty plastic IC and IC piping that will break at some point.
I use to think the same way, but being completely honest odds are heavy in my favor that the plastic will hold up just fine like it was designed to do from GM. sure you see a few stories of plastic endtanks cracking or the piping randomly crack, but how many of those people were running the 25+ psi tunes? how many times did rookies hit driveways or run a solid mounted charge pipe on stock endtanks (therefore giving no room to flex like stock pipes do) and break or even weaken their endtanks from doing so? I've never even scraped my lip over the last 2 years of ownership, let alone smash it hard enough to crack an endtank.. I find it hard to believe that any failure is occuring just from the pressure in the charge pipe, it takes a lot of stress to do that.

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Padlock got this figured out. Plastic may not be bling but it sure as hell doesnt heat soak like metal. For me its all about performance vs cost and durability. And keeping dirt out of the engine.
even so, the plastic cleans up pretty nice for what it is.. it matches the plastic on the rest of the car

the heat soak is another compelling argument. My metal CP use to be pretty hot during any sort of use which sort of kills part of the efficiency of the setup as a whole. The K&N, like stated earlier, was always dirty.. I could've probably cleaned it every fuel fill-up with the amount of grime that built up in it on the bottom side of the filter over time
Old 03-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
^^^ really hard to do anything more than say "right on!"
Old 03-11-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by padlock
I use to think the same way, but being completely honest odds are heavy in my favor that the plastic will hold up just fine like it was designed to do from GM. sure you see a few stories of plastic endtanks cracking or the piping randomly crack, but how many of those people were running the 25+ psi tunes? how many times did rookies hit driveways or run a solid mounted charge pipe on stock endtanks (therefore giving no room to flex like stock pipes do) and break or even weaken their endtanks from doing so? I've never even scraped my lip over the last 2 years of ownership, let alone smash it hard enough to crack an endtank.. I find it hard to believe that any failure is occuring just from the pressure in the charge pipe, it takes a lot of stress to do that.

even so, the plastic cleans up pretty nice for what it is.. it matches the plastic on the rest of the car

the heat soak is another compelling argument. My metal CP use to be pretty hot during any sort of use which sort of kills part of the efficiency of the setup as a whole. The K&N, like stated earlier, was always dirty.. I could've probably cleaned it every fuel fill-up with the amount of grime that built up in it on the bottom side of the filter over time
I agree with you for the most part, expect for the plastic heat soak once the plastic is hot its going to stay hot, vs the metal will transfer heat quickly drop temp or gain temp quickly compared to plastic. For the intake not a huge issue, run the stock/zzp tube just make sure the MAF tables are dialed in and have a quality filter (which this study points towards factory filters).

The hot side CP will be hot no matter plastic or metal you might not notice the plastic hot side being hot since the heat doesnt transfer as quickly. So from a thermodynamic stand point as long as the engine bay area temp is lower than the air charge in the hot side the metal CP will act as a heat exchanger and some transfer will occur to the environment. Now is this transfer significant, I'm going to assume no, but without sitting down and performing the calculations and knowing what temp the hot side air charge is and the surface area of both pipes, the air density per min, the air speed, it can't be calc'd (i might be missing a variable in there). I do recall a member that had issues with a blown motor and GM stated changing CP, intercooler, DP will not void warranty because they don't greatly affect the way the engine performs. But a different intake than stock will void the warranty.

May have just convinced myself to find a stock intake, pretty sure a friend of mine still has his but doenst have his LNF anymore. Side question for those with an LNF, anyway to run the stock intake and have the louder BPV and turbo sound (I know novel but I enjoy listening to my turbo spool)
Old 03-11-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
I agree with you for the most part, expect for the plastic heat soak once the plastic is hot its going to stay hot, vs the metal will transfer heat quickly drop temp or gain temp quickly compared to plastic. For the intake not a huge issue, run the stock/zzp tube just make sure the MAF tables are dialed in and have a quality filter (which this study points towards factory filters).

The hot side CP will be hot no matter plastic or metal you might not notice the plastic hot side being hot since the heat doesnt transfer as quickly. So from a thermodynamic stand point as long as the engine bay area temp is lower than the air charge in the hot side the metal CP will act as a heat exchanger and some transfer will occur to the environment. Now is this transfer significant, I'm going to assume no, but without sitting down and performing the calculations and knowing what temp the hot side air charge is and the surface area of both pipes, the air density per min, the air speed, it can't be calc'd (i might be missing a variable in there). I do recall a member that had issues with a blown motor and GM stated changing CP, intercooler, DP will not void warranty because they don't greatly affect the way the engine performs. But a different intake than stock will void the warranty.

May have just convinced myself to find a stock intake, pretty sure a friend of mine still has his but doenst have his LNF anymore. Side question for those with an LNF, anyway to run the stock intake and have the louder BPV and turbo sound (I know novel but I enjoy listening to my turbo spool)
I'm a senior mechanical engineering student so I enjoy the thermodynamic discussions oddly enough. Polypropylene (which I'm just going to assume is the material used in stock charge pipes) actually has a very similar overall heat transfer coefficient to steel and aluminum in an application like this although their thermal conductivities vary by quite large factors (PP=.12, Steel=21, Aluminum=221)

Heat Exchangers of polypropylene
in a nutshell, the above article basically clarifies that while metal is more conductive to heat (aka changes temp faster/slower) the air on both sides still has identical conductivities so the overall heat transfer rate of the piping material is really almost negligible, which makes sense as we dont really notice any IAT differences between changing charge pipes out (we shouldn't as air can only absorb so much heat on either side in a given time due to its properties).

What we do notice though during short runs during AutoX for example is the metal pipes get hot fast! (thermal conductivity to blame). it takes a long time for the same thickness of PP to get to the same temp as Steel given exact same "tests" or runs around the course in this example. just going off of the conductivity values alone tells us steel heats up 175X faster than PP (1,840X faster for aluminum). kinda nuts.. /science
Old 03-11-2014, 11:33 PM

I'm a senior mechanical engineering student so I enjoy the thermodynamic discussions oddly enough. Polypropylene (which I'm just going to assume is the material used in stock charge pipes) actually has a very similar overall heat transfer coefficient to steel and aluminum in an application like this although their thermal conductivities vary by quite large factors (PP=.12, Steel=21, Aluminum=221)

Heat Exchangers of polypropylene
in a nutshell, the above article basically clarifies that while metal is more conductive to heat (aka changes temp faster/slower) the air on both sides still has identical conductivities so the overall heat transfer rate of the piping material is really almost negligible, which makes sense as we dont really notice any IAT differences between changing charge pipes out (we shouldn't as air can only absorb so much heat on either side in a given time due to its properties).

What we do notice though during short runs during AutoX for example is the metal pipes get hot fast! (thermal conductivity to blame). it takes a long time for the same thickness of PP to get to the same temp as Steel given exact same "tests" or runs around the course in this example. just going off of the conductivity values alone tells us steel heats up 175X faster than PP (1,840X faster for aluminum). kinda nuts.. /science
Science is pretty freaking awesome and I'm trained as a Chemist and slowly learning all this fun engineering stuff so i am known to get terms incorrect. So after all the engineering discussion, the take home difference between metal and plastic charge piping is only the burst pressure rating. Which the difference is in the range where it doesnt make a difference, can't say a recall anyone bursting a stock charge pipe (end tanks yes, but you've pointed out very valid points about why the increase in this area). And i'm not willing to test out what the stock charge pipe burst pressure is.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 AM

basically burst pressure rating is really the only difference from what I can gather on it (obviously metals the winner of the chicken dinner there).. all i know is that the burst pressure is a factor of safety high enough on OEM pipes that I dont have any concerns blowing it on 22-23psi which is where I'm tuned at currently. I could potentially see an odd vibration or stress fatiguing the stock CP in some odd case if that rubber grommet to hold it in place on the engine isnt installed right or manufacturer defect, but thats about it at best.

whether or not people want to believe it, GM did their homework.. surprising I know
Old 03-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Took the car out for a nice pre-spring drive yesterday....

Ran a supercharger inlet pressure test to see if the stock filter caused any more restriction then my K&N E-0777 filter I used to run. Nothing changed in my intake tract other than the filter. Stock donaldson intake with modified airbox lid is all.

K&N 0.4 inlet pressure from 6000-7500 rpm
AC Delco 0.5 inlet pressure from 6000-7500 rpm

Below 6k, both filters only showed 0.0-0.1 inlet pressure

It's a crude test, but the minute difference between the two makes me happy to know the stock filter is not a big restriction like many once believed.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 03-12-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
I think I will swap back to my stock intake and do the airbox mod. Sure it may not be bling bling but I rather have a cleaner engine...plus I can always plasti-dip the intake whatever color I want lol
Old 03-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Haven07
I think I will swap back to my stock intake and do the airbox mod. Sure it may not be bling bling but I rather have a cleaner engine...plus I can always plasti-dip the intake whatever color I want lol
I honestly like the look of the stock intake.

GM (donaldson) gave us a decent looking cold air intake. No ribbing or silencers on the tubing.

Also, the composite/rubber material does a much better job insulating the intake charge from the engine bay heat than the bling bling pipes.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I honestly like the look of the stock intake.

GM (donaldson) gave us a decent looking cold air intake. No ribbing or silencers on the tubing.

Also, the composite/rubber material does a much better job insulating the intake charge from the engine bay heat than the bling bling pipes.
As padlock and I discussed above, heat transfer is dependent on the air, which is pretty poor fluid for heat transfer. (Post 54 second paragraph)

The reference to donaldson is that donaldson torrit?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

As padlock and I discussed above, heat transfer is dependent on the air, which is pretty poor fluid for heat transfer. (Post 54 second paragraph)

The reference to donaldson is that donaldson torrit?
Read that. I too am an engineer. I understood what he was getting at.

The reference to donaldson is that donaldson made the stock air intake piping and air box for the SS/SC.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 03-13-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Awesome thread! Thanks for the info
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I will be getting my K&N Filter Wrap in today.

I'll try to see if i can do some testing and finding on it.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 AM

I'll be doing some logging on my trip home for spring break and can report back with findings..

not sure its fair to make accurate comparisons here though with IAT differences, because its 20* outside compared to 90* when I was logging my full bolt-on setup this last summer
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
basically burst pressure rating is really the only difference from what I can gather on it (obviously metals the winner of the chicken dinner there).. all i know is that the burst pressure is a factor of safety high enough on OEM pipes that I dont have any concerns blowing it on 22-23psi which is where I'm tuned at currently. I could potentially see an odd vibration or stress fatiguing the stock CP in some odd case if that rubber grommet to hold it in place on the engine isnt installed right or manufacturer defect, but thats about it at best.

whether or not people want to believe it, GM did their homework.. surprising I know
^I've said this numerous times on this forum . There's a reason everything was designed way it is. I think you're spot on with the unecessary intercooler/cp arguement too. Unless you swap turbos or are pushing the K04 past its efficient range, there's no reason to change them. Heck, I'm ZFR swapped and still on the stock cp, and plan to stay that way . The stock intercooler on the other hand has to go.

On another note, I've got a K&N on my Solstice because the stock air box was awful, and the GMPP intake was an arm and a leg more, but I think I'm going to look around for paper cone filters that fit for a replacement.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by AaronJ
^I've said this numerous times on this forum . There's a reason everything was designed way it is. I think you're spot on with the unecessary intercooler/cp arguement too. Unless you swap turbos or are pushing the K04 past its efficient range, there's no reason to change them. Heck, I'm ZFR swapped and still on the stock cp, and plan to stay that way . The stock intercooler on the other hand has to go.

On another note, I've got a K&N on my Solstice because the stock air box was awful, and the GMPP intake was an arm and a leg more, but I think I'm going to look around for paper cone filters that fit for a replacement.
We need to find out the diameter of the GMPP cone filter from the 2.2/2.4,

There has to be a good alternative. The Amsoil EA filter look good but I believe the K&N is a 3.25" inside diameter and Amsoil doesn't make one that size.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
But with a stock air intake system, we cant here our cool pew pew pshhh Pssstt BEWB noises
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
So my noob question is, how do we do for some of us using filter cones? Keep drinking koolaid?

Last edited by DFZ24; 03-13-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by DFZ24
So my noon question is, how we do for some of us using filter cones? Keep drinking koolaid?
Say what?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CudaJoe
But with a stock air intake system, we cant here our cool pew pew pshhh Pssstt BEWB noises
I still hear blower whine just fine
Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Say what?
Powell stated that after reading, if we still believe in using K&N is better we are drinking koolaid
Either way I'm looking for a replacement because mine has oil from the return line and won't come off.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I still hear blower whine just fine
The intake on the lnf isn't as awesome as the lsj's
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM

Quick pic of the K&N filter wrap
Name:  IMG_20140313_130420_zpsby1cpsss.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  87.0 KB
Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM

All the filter wrap will do is help with shedding water and large particle filtration
Old 03-13-2014, 03:22 PM

All the filter wrap will do is help with shedding water and large particle filtration
yes that's what it's designed for, but anything to prevent fast clogging will hopefully be an added bonus. Especially if the filter passes as much particles as everyone is saying.

Quick Reply: Air Filter Testing