Technical Articles A central location for technical articles gathered from throughout the community and internet.

Air Filter Testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Staged07SS
I increased my mileage with my airbox setup, and def felt a vast improvement over the sad ass Injen intake I used to have.

I also had the AEM intake. It is the same thing as running a modifed airbox. Just much more expensive.

I felt more power while running the factory ac delco than the K&N drop in filter. My car made 299.45whp with the factory filter.
I might figure out a way to use the AEM SRI with the stock AC filter, and make a modified box of some type..... sounds like a spring project though...... -17C today lol.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by UnkleRaRa
I might figure out a way to use the AEM SRI with the stock AC filter, and make a modified box of some type..... sounds like a spring project though...... -17C today lol.
Probably just better to get the ZZP Intake Tube with stock air box and stock filter. That's what ZZP used on their setups.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Probably just better to get the ZZP Intake Tube with stock air box and stock filter. That's what ZZP used on their setups.
He has an SS/SC. If I had an SS/TC, thats what I would do though.

I wouldnt waste your time. The AEM intake is no larger than the stock airbox inlet pipe at the MAF sensor.

All you might gain is some sound, because the filter would be 100% exposed.

Last edited by Staged07SS; 01-21-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by umrdyldo
Its not a bad setup, the bypass valve is so quiet though...
Old 01-21-2015, 01:38 PM

I wouldnt waste your time. The AEM intake is no larger than the stock airbox inlet pipe at the MAF sensor.

All you might gain is some sound, because the filter would be 100% exposed.
Maybe ill just drive a little longer and wait until the weather is a little better to make a proper judgment on the fuel economy, lol. Not worried about the sound as much as having a clean engine and spend as little on gas as possible!
Old 01-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Maybe ill just drive a little longer and wait until the weather is a little better to make a proper judgment on the fuel economy, lol. Not worried about the sound as much as having a clean engine and spend as little on gas as possible!
I can care less about gas mileage, lol. Even though my car gets 22 on avg around town with a heavy foot.

I changed back to the stock air filter to protect my engine and it actually provided more get up and go than the K&N drop in (believe it or not). More than likely because it is a much larger filter.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM

I can care less about gas mileage, lol. Even though my car gets 22 on avg around town with a heavy foot.

I changed back to the stock air filter to protect my engine and it actually provided more get up and go than the K&N drop in (believe it or not). More than likely because it is a much larger filter.
I started a new job last year and drive 100km everyday back and forth to work :S

The last job I had was less than 2 km from my place. I cared a lot less about mpg back then
Old 02-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've known that the K&N's don't filter the fine particles for years. On one of my Grand Nationals back in the early 90's I had a cold air kit with a scoop mounted right under the bumper. I had one of the K&N cone filters that was prob 8-9" long and after maybe 15k miles I took it off to put on a longer one after upgrading the turbo. I stuck my finger inside the filter and ran it around the inside step/ledge where the filter is the largest and this area obviously had some filter oil finely misted over it after all the miles and there was a real fine grit all around the lip area. I could feel it on my fingers, it wasn't as coarse as sand but more like a flour/fine consistency. You can hold a brand new K&N up to the sunlight and look through it and see many small areas of direct white light, thats nothing but small/minute holes in the media. Pretty much nothing filters as well as the stock filter material. Heck, the K&N prob filters better as all the small/minute holes start getting clogged up....at the cost of airflow. Too bad someone couldn't come up with a different type of airbox that used one of the largest style flat filters that GM has, or use 2 large GM filters on the sides of the airbox etc..