War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

380HP 69 Camaro vs Cobalt SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
380HP 69 Camaro vs Cobalt SS

Well I was at the snow cone stand around 11pm tonight and this guy pulls up in a black 69 Camaro. It looked really nice and he poured a ton of money into it. He had disc brakes and a drag suspension from just what could be seen. I go to school with him and he's supposed to be the creame of the crop. I walked up to him and his friends and asked who was it (even though I knew), then asked him if he wanted to race. He asked me what against, and I told him a Cobalt SS. At that point I had everyone laughing at me, but I just smiled and told him to follow me and walked off.

I took him to this four lane country road, which was a good 10 minute drive, called the "5 Mile Flats" because its totally flat for about 5 miles . So we line up with about 20 cars behind us, and he asks how I want to start the race. I told him to count to 3. He counts to 2 and I rev to about 5,000RPM's ready to drop. He says 3 and peels out leaves me in the drag machine's wake. Well my car never moved. It just sat there at 6,500RPM's and I was confused as hell. In first gear, no clutch and I'm giving it gas, but I'm not moving. Hmmm... so I push the clutch in and let the RPM's die down then leave the line like it was a stop light. No problems.... well he pretty much did the 5 miles in the time it took me to figure this out. I pulled up next to him and told him I had off the line complications. We both do a U turn facing the other way and wait for the 20 cars of people to find a place to park. We line up and this time I do the 1-2-3. Same thing happens. No clutch, in gear, gas, but no movement. Well he notices and lets off the gas, and I run up beside him. He floors it, I drop from 3rd to 2nd and floor it. I gain about half a car length on him in 2nd and 3rd gear. But as soon as I hit 4th he leaves 5 or 6 car lengths before 120mph.....then starts to blow smoke.... lots of it....

I still say he won.... but I get up next to him after we slow down to about 30mph and asks if its a V8 and I tell him its a completely stock L4. Well he's has this total look of confusion on his face. I ask how much horsepower he was pushing and he told me 380. I ask him where his exhaust is cut off at and he says "its not, it goes all the way to the bumper". I tell him that he's blowing a lot of smoke and its coming from under his car, and its not his exhaust. We pull over and then 20 cars join us once again. A lot of guys are looking under his car. Seems when he gained the 5 or 6 car lengthshe started blowing oil and coolant all over the road. (he probably sprayed....) When I say all over, I mean ALL OVER. He had a good sized puddle just from the 60 seconds they were inspecting it. Some fat kid walks up to me and says "Hey dude you lost" and I say "Yeah at least I didn't blow my engine." Well I hear police sirens in the distance and so does a few other people. We shout "Sirens!" and people run for their cars like there's a bomb about to go off. Well during the process of everyone running for their car I was able to be the first one out, yay for me. I pull over in someone's driveway next to a truck so that you couldn't see my car from the oncoming way. I get out and run into a dark spot between these two houses. To my amazement, the guy drives his Camaro out of there........ so I'm pretty sure his engine is extra crispy toast about now..... I kinda feel bad though, I pretty much killed a classic Camaro..... oh well.... better luck next time. Wish I could of got it on tape, no passenger to film though....
Old 08-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Banned

oh boy... it could have been worse. Nice die
Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by VaMP
In first gear, no clutch and I'm giving it gas, but I'm not moving. Hmmm... so I push the clutch in and let the RPM's die down then leave the line like it was a stop light.
Sounds like you had some problems of your own...burnt clutch?

spraying oil all over the place doesn't mean spray, he could have easily blown a seal and that would lead to the same thing.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:13 AM

Whats up with races starting at Snow cone stands?? this is second post that i've seen in like the last week or so that started off at a snow cone stand....

Note to self................Snow Cone stands are the place for racing. SO STAY AWAY!!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nocturn
Sounds like you had some problems of your own...burnt clutch?
spraying oil all over the place doesn't mean spray, he could have easily blown a seal and that would lead to the same thing.
Yeah but during the process of him gaining 5 or 6 car lengths suddenly, he starts blowing oil and coolant all over the place. That's what I think he sprayed.....

Originally Posted by Devin72985
Whats up with races starting at Snow cone stands?? this is second post that i've seen in like the last week or so that started off at a snow cone stand....
Note to self................Snow Cone stands are the place for racing. SO STAY AWAY!!!!
Because both posts were mine! Here the "snow cone stand" is the place to be for anyone who has a car worth anything. Every kind of car imaginable has at least been seen there once. What I think is funny is that I always have more people looking at my SS then the Maserati.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:47 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't drop the clutch at 5k on a Cobalt SS You'll break it.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 PM

Your car might have went into "limp" mode. Thinking there was something wrong with the engine and disabling the vehicle so that no damage would be caused. Did your car throw any codes or anything light up on the dash? And 5,000 RPMs is way too much to launch an SS, your gonna get a shitload of wheel hop.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:14 PM

^^^ I agree, who would launch this car at 5000rpm? When I launch at 2000rpm I get wheelhop! The car is probably in limp mode from the abuse to the car. Good luck on any future warranty work and you're most likely going to need it! Also, who in their right mind would race a Camaro that's built. You lost because he is faster, plain and simple. Pick your races more wisely. You probably made yourself look like an a$$ infront of witnesses. The Camaro may have been damaged but it drove off, so it didn't blow up yet! Also, lay off the clutch, you may win more races. If you ever get it out of that limp mode? Good luck with this one!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:11 PM

380 hp...maybe, maybe 280 @ the flywheel...if lucky.

Not a flame...but 380 hp is easy low mid 12's@108-110 mph for most guys in the 1/4. Unless your car is close to that...especially from the roll part.

But heh, anything can happen on the street.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal21
Your car might have went into "limp" mode. Thinking there was something wrong with the engine and disabling the vehicle so that no damage would be caused. Did your car throw any codes or anything light up on the dash? And 5,000 RPMs is way too much to launch an SS, your gonna get a shitload of wheel hop.
OKAY, this **** happended to me tonight. I've had the car for only 4 days and I try to do a burnout (yeah I know, stupid me) and the car was revving moving forward very slowly. I let off the gas rather quickly when I realized what was happening and the car took off like normal after that. I smelled burnt clutch immediately. Did I **** this car??? I hope not. It still goes good in second but getting out of first doesn't feel the same anymore. If my car is in "limp mode", how do I get it out?? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:21 PM

All you do is launch at a lower RPM and it fixes everything. Trust me WOT at any RPM in first will give you a burnout of biblical proportions. Thanks for using the search!
Old 09-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Banned

Its interesting how a car with a supposed 380HP could only pull on you by that much. See there are some technicalities with the numbers, and here's why:

The stock engine is a 69 Camaro is rated using SAE Gross. Meaning that if his engine was factory rated at 350HP, it would be more like 300HP net. So if he figures he has about 380, then he may only be making something like 320HP net. The you factor in drivetrain loss - if it was an auto, that number would be about 20%. So lets say he's putting 270-280HP to the rear wheels.

The Cobalt SS is the opposite. Its underrated instead of overrated, and its on the SAE Net rating scale as opposed to Gross. They dyno 210HP-215HP at the front wheels, which is about 240HP at the flywheel.

Figure the Cobalt weighs about 2900lbs, and the Camaro weighs about 3500lbs. So theres approximately a 600lb. weight difference, and a 70HP difference in power output.

So the race being as "close" as it was really isn't that surprising at all
Old 09-08-2005, 09:17 PM

If he got up a few furlongs on you and started to spray, how did you avoid getting oil/coolant on your tires, or at least your ride? If a 380HP as much as throws a seal, if your within that range your going to take one for the team.

If this did happen, I think it was a ham n egger small block with a spray....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:36 PM

Has anyone checked the post date on this thread yet?
Old 09-09-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by VaMP
Has anyone checked the post date on this thread yet?
haha

street racing = cool y0!
fast and the furious n ****!

haha, keep dropping the clutch at 5k, itll put chest on ur hair
Old 09-13-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by wesmanw02
Its interesting how a car with a supposed 380HP could only pull on you by that much. See there are some technicalities with the numbers, and here's why:

The stock engine is a 69 Camaro is rated using SAE Gross. Meaning that if his engine was factory rated at 350HP, it would be more like 300HP net. So if he figures he has about 380, then he may only be making something like 320HP net. The you factor in drivetrain loss - if it was an auto, that number would be about 20%. So lets say he's putting 270-280HP to the rear wheels.

The Cobalt SS is the opposite. Its underrated instead of overrated, and its on the SAE Net rating scale as opposed to Gross. They dyno 210HP-215HP at the front wheels, which is about 240HP at the flywheel.

Figure the Cobalt weighs about 2900lbs, and the Camaro weighs about 3500lbs. So theres approximately a 600lb. weight difference, and a 70HP difference in power output.

So the race being as "close" as it was really isn't that surprising at all
Most people use rearwheel horsepower figures when talking about the power they make around here. I also see no where in the post about the car being stock so where are you getting your numbers from?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tiny
haha, keep dropping the clutch at 5k, itll put chest on ur hair

it's the only way to break in a brand new car