War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Is it hard for you to say no to a street race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
hell i do 160mph pulls on a weekly basis
lol latley I can agree with this but as for racing someone else it all depends on the mood im in which most of the time is that "Eh, sure why not" -downshift- ( i spend almost all of my drive time on the highway)
Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shibito
Did you try again around a small road course?

Just messing.
yeah, i know. i figured i'd get flamed for saying that i ran an esprit. but i didn't intend on winning. that ass didn't even let me get through the honks before he nailed it either. did he think he needed the head start? i hate that unsportsman crap.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM

I have little ricey hondas do that rev **** to me all the time, I dont ever pay attention to them. but my bad habbit is speeding, I'm never in a hurry, I just like driving 80 or 90 on the 70mph freeway. lol
Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 PM

in the 3 years ive owned my car, ive only street raced it twice. im right in that middle zone where hondas dont bother cause they know they'll lose and v8 guys dont give a **** about a cobalt.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
ill be honest it is really damn hard, but the punishment here is quite severe if you're caught, its really not worth it. I might engage in a light to light sprint, but really nothing more, its not worth it.

Thought, the temptation is always there lol
Old 06-19-2011, 03:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAZIN07SS
everyone on this forum has street raced at one point or another. hell i do 160mph pulls on a weekly basis
You're effin crazy man...lol. My balt never even saw 160. Only 155 on this long azz straight stretch that I saw and stepped into 5th coming back from Columbus on I77. Did blow the doors off a Porsche Carrera though. Happened to see a blue light special speeding in the other direction when I was slowed to 145 so thats when I decided to get off of the interstate and eat.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 PM

I keep having to remind myself the risk isn't worth it. I couldn't imagine life without a license.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rissa
Not hard at all, I usually just laugh lol. Especially if it's a douche in a truck I mean come on..
Seriously.

I had 4 friends in high school that were killed in a street racing accident. They weren't even the ones street racing, they just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. That and the guy that was on here that killed a woman racing and went to prison. It's not worth the consequences to show some punk what's up.

Originally Posted by vahdyx
Haha, it's almost like girls hate it all together lol. All of my buddies girlfriends don't even know why why add "pointless parts" to our cars. I say we wanna be faster, but their like, why? And it gets difficult to explain after that statement.

Nice though,

My girlfriend wouldn't let it down all night. "See you shouldn't do this", "remember when I told you not to race and it saved your license" All night, but I'm thankful I listened.
I think it's the lack of ***** that does it. No, but seriously. When another guy challenges them, it's a direct hit to their ego. It's a lot easier for a girl to just brush it off and forget about it than it is for a guy. Guys just take stuff like that more personally.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Its hard, Ive never randomly street raced a stranger just friends.... I've had my car for about a month i drive mostly highway and just like driving and the random WOT pulls....
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
I think it's the lack of ***** that does it. No, but seriously. When another guy challenges them, it's a direct hit to their ego. It's a lot easier for a girl to just brush it off and forget about it than it is for a guy. Guys just take stuff like that more personally.
Makes sense. I think with the cobalt hate in my state I feel like I need to prove something. So I think with me its especially difficult.

But I agree when you think about the cost over reward its really not worth it.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM

I race all the time on the streets, its alot of fun. Of course not in residential..

7 years no tickets, no accidents.

Only way I wouldn't race is if im tired, lazy, have a passenger, its not safe.. or there is a cop behind me.

My balt saw 160mph yesterday...
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
I got a similar story.

Had 4 people in the car and was headed to a family dinner event. I just merged onto the road and was starting to accelerate when I heard this screaming whine coming from my left. I look over and Im neck and neck with what sounded like a heavily modded 90's Thunderbird S/C. We both slowed quickly at the next redlight. Girlfriend said nooo dont do it (it was wet out because it just rained) so I decided not to. My friend in the back seat wanted me to race him. The light turns green and I faked a stage, lol... He floors it and immediately get several lengths and then loses control!!!! slided deep into my lane where I would have been and a billow of black smoke POURs out from under the hood and wheel wells lol.

He immediately pulled over and we all laughed and pointed as we rolled by. He was on his phone, rofl.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:32 PM

I never get challenged at the street.. i'm always trying to get friends to race me at the dragstrip. but no one wants too. and in the street no ones pays attention to an HHR. But at the track it does catch a lot of peoples attention as they don't expect an HHR to run the way it does. Sometimes i wouldn't mind a short race from a dead stop on the street, If its safe to do so. Figures it hooks good on my drag radials even on the street...
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by vahdyx
Makes sense. I think with the cobalt hate in my state I feel like I need to prove something. So I think with me its especially difficult.

But I agree when you think about the cost over reward its really not worth it.
There's some hate here, but it's just talk at the end of the day. They want to see what the car can do, there's almost always at least one Cobalt at any drag strip test n tune, auto-x, or open lap day at the road course.

That and MOST of the people around here that want to try and instigate a race on the street, can't drive for ****. No better motivation to stay out of it then the desire to keep my car in one piece.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:20 AM

I remember I Teased a riced out eclipse by letting him hear the whine, he speed up and at the corner of a turn he lost control lol me and this guy in a celica had a good laugh
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Seriously.

I had 4 friends in high school that were killed in a street racing accident. They weren't even the ones street racing, they just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. That and the guy that was on here that killed a woman racing and went to prison. It's not worth the consequences to show some punk what's up.

It's the people who street race anywhere, anytime, and in any conditions that give a bad name to people who street race. And it's people like that who unfortunately killed your friends (I do feel for the families and friends who have lost lives to these idiots for no good reason.) If everyone had the common sense to keep it to clear highways and abandoned industrial parks then people dieing would become very rare.

Just like normal driving though, idiots think they can do whatever they want wherever they want and think they're the only ones on the road.

As for the latter, for me personally, it's the adrenaline rush. This and my job are the only 2 things I've found to give me an insane adrenaline rush and it's like a drug honestly, but I just have to remember to take a deep breathe and remind myself not to get tunnel vision.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 AM

Not hard at all. I got challenged by a GT-R once, i knew i was going to get my ass kicked, not only did i get my ass kicked but got nailed by the cops too. GF was with me, yelling at me the whole time...ever since then, i dont care if its a ricer, GT-R, SRT-10...or someone that just wants to pass me at high speed, i go the speed limit.

But when it comes down to proving how fast I am in the truck, i go to the drag strip. I didnt know it one night but there were a dozen guys from my unit that were watching one night when i was at the strip. I was beating other trucks, mustangs, cobalts, STI's...got huge props when i got to work the next day.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by cmiller8006
I say no all the time.
thats cuz your afraid of losing.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by cranemaster
I race all the time on the streets, its alot of fun. Of course not in residential..

7 years no tickets, no accidents.

Only way I wouldn't race is if im tired, lazy, have a passenger, its not safe.. or there is a cop behind me.

My balt saw 160mph yesterday...

this guy is exactly right. people die not street racing everyday so who gives a **** you could be dead tomorow might as well live it up. you have to know when to do it and the opportunities are endless. and yea the cobalt might suck but hey its ****** supercharged (or turbo'd) its got some good torque and with some work can be really fast. and its fun to just street race yourself you dont even have to be showing off. my balt see's 160 all the time. why? because it can and if my tire blows out and i go down in a fiery reck like ryan dunn hey atleast i was having fun but too bad it wasnt in a GT3 right?

if you street race enough your going to know how to do it safely. i would never put any other driver in danger, if your going faster then them your probably not going to him them and you always have a exit strategy. unless theyre too busy checking out your sick high rise then theyll probably be alright. brakes are good too. and people wtf scan the road. you shouldnt be racing down main street where cops have hiding spots. if your on the highway scan the ******* road. look as far down as possible youll see the cop and usually have time to stop. dont they teach that in drivers ed? i live in a state with some of the harshest speeding laws and ive never gotten even pulled over. not yet atleast, but why? because im not just some dumb ass kid with a fast car. everything i do in that thing is done responsibly and as safely as possible...as far as street racing goes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shibito
It's the people who street race anywhere, anytime, and in any conditions that give a bad name to people who street race. And it's people like that who unfortunately killed your friends (I do feel for the families and friends who have lost lives to these idiots for no good reason.)
That's what everyone assumes, but according to the street racing "afficianados" they were being "responsible" criminals. They weren't on a main road, where there wasn't traffic. Just a VERY slight grade, enough to block the view of the road my friends were coming from. They stopped, looked both ways, pulled out, there was less than 50' from the crest of the little rise in the road to impact. Ended up killing the 4 of them, both racers, and the passenger in one of their cars. Front car t-boned my friends, second car had no time to react and no where to go.

I mean, that's just where I'm coming from on the issue. I look at it as no different as drunk driving, there are people who claim they're "good/safe" drunks that actually drive slower and are "more careful and aware" when they're drunk. There's no such thing as a safe drunk or a safe street racer. You can reduce the risk, but it's never eliminated. If they just killed each other, meh, what's the big deal. It's when someone else's actions have consequences for people who were minding their own business, following the law that it bothers me.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 PM

After you know the capability of the car you just tend to look at GT's and 5.0's and SS Camaros and lots of other stuff with the "yeah right" attitude ..

Even still it's hard to deny some people the delivery of an ass whooping ...

Sedans don't get as much attention with no huge bench seat on the back ..

Since I put the rear lip on I've been getting some more action lately

The sedan deserved the lip , now they know it isn't just some rental cobalt ...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:29 PM

For us older geezers there was a time when street racing had no stigma to it, it was just something to do in the back roads when we were board in between track days. There was a time before fast n furious when it was status quo, no one really cared, it was cool. Nowdays it's cool to drive a 400whp car to a meet and scold someone when they ask for a run.

Back then the only reason you went to the local meet spot was to find out where the fun was going down. No one ever **** in their own backyard and raced around the busy residential and city streets.
Times have just changed that all, you can't do this **** anymore thanks to all the idiots racing downtown etc. Last summer some little dink wiped his skyline into a group of people on a downtown intersection median street racing through traffic, drunk. Like cmon. With dinks like this out there, the old days are gone for good.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
That's what everyone assumes, but according to the street racing "afficianados" they were being "responsible" criminals. They weren't on a main road, where there wasn't traffic. Just a VERY slight grade, enough to block the view of the road my friends were coming from. They stopped, looked both ways, pulled out, there was less than 50' from the crest of the little rise in the road to impact. Ended up killing the 4 of them, both racers, and the passenger in one of their cars. Front car t-boned my friends, second car had no time to react and no where to go.

I mean, that's just where I'm coming from on the issue. I look at it as no different as drunk driving, there are people who claim they're "good/safe" drunks that actually drive slower and are "more careful and aware" when they're drunk. There's no such thing as a safe drunk or a safe street racer. You can reduce the risk, but it's never eliminated. If they just killed each other, meh, what's the big deal. It's when someone else's actions have consequences for people who were minding their own business, following the law that it bothers me.
That's what I mean though about being minimizing the risk to others. The 2 people who raced in that story didn't do it, the fact that they were racing over a hill makes them complete idiots, it's just very unfortunate that they had to involve innocent people in their mistake. I'm not trying to say street racing can be made legal or completely safe, hell racing on a track is not even safe, but I ask that you don't judge everyone on what the idiots do. We're not all out racing on surface streets.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by demento
Street racing is like being in the special olympics. Even if you win your still mentally challanged
I agree!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
meh, If I were to race it'd have to be for money, I'm not just going to waste my gas in an attempt to prove whose the slower...

Quick Reply: Is it hard for you to say no to a street race?