War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Y R all the GTO vs SS Threads Locked ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread makes me want to take off my drivers side door and ghost ride my GTO into a tree.
Thats funny **** dude.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
This thread makes me want to take off my drivers side door and ghost ride my GTO into a tree.

Yeeeeeehaaaaaaw................
You better video tape it
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 AM

GM people, we should all be working together to take out Ford and Dodge and them pesky Imports...VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!! lol
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by FNFAST
always does man.

By the way...your sig is the best...that is funny stuff!!

ONYX - I should apologize...I shouldn't have called you a peckerhead. You have kept your posts civil even if you are calling out disbelief and BS on me. Sorry about that.
Whoa whoa, I'm not calling disbelief and BS on you. I'm calling it on some, and not others. I'm just saying that what non-cobalt owners want is truth. The suspension, yeah, I wouldn't call it teeth rattling. Mine is stiff, but I wouldn't call it teeth rattling. Teeth rattling is like, a NASCAR, F1, etc. We have stiff suspensions (stiff ones if you'd like to make a joke out of it ) but teeth rattling....that'd be near un-drivable is all I'm trying to say. Anyway, apology accepted

For the most part, I enjoy reading the posts in here. Occasionally I'll jump in with a BS, but for the most part, I just like reading.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Onyx Dragon
You better video tape it
But then I can't call it in stolen
Old 08-15-2007, 02:09 PM

But then I can't call it in stolen
Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeeeeeehaaaaaaw................

Note to self: Ghost riding not as fun as advertised!

Not even going to explain that pic except - It is possible to have TOO Much Horsepower, and YES GOATS CAN FLY!

Gives you an idea of what GTO Vs. Tree looks like LOL!
Old 08-15-2007, 02:57 PM

It'll buff right out mang'
Tree 1 Goat 0.

What a shame, that goat looked like it was awesome.

GG
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
It'll buff right out mang'
Tree 1 Goat 0.

What a shame, that goat looked like it was awesome.

GG
The GTO was cool, had a Procharger on it, but it was an Automatic :-/ Don't know why they make Automatic Sports cars......maybe for the handicapped. All of those one-legged Vietnam Vets in their 40's with a midlife crisis (going bald, thrice divorced, and a belly that blocks the sun from their *****), must be creating a high demand for shoving pickup truck transmissions into high power sports cars.

Seriously automatic and sports car is a bad combination, might as well put the car on a slot track and let the road steer the wheels for you.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
The GTO was cool, had a Procharger on it, but it was an Automatic :-/ Don't know why they make Automatic Sports cars......maybe for the handicapped. All of those one-legged Vietnam Vets in their 40's with a midlife crisis (going bald, thrice divorced, and a belly that blocks the sun from their *****), must be creating a high demand for shoving pickup truck transmissions into high power sports cars.

Seriously automatic and sports car is a bad combination, might as well put the car on a slot track and let the road steer the wheels for you.
Uh. The autos are just about equal with the sticks time wise in the GTO, and autos are also more consistent than sticks at the drag strip. That's why they make them in autos.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
don't mind me, just pass through
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Banned

Uh. The autos are just about equal with the sticks time wise in the GTO, and autos are also more consistent than sticks at the drag strip. That's why they make them in autos.
Maybe if the person driving the M6 sucks.

I actually wanted an auto for some reason but I wanted 17" wheels also, the only red GTO with 17's I could find was a M6. It's also nice since the A4 adds a nice fee for gas guzzler tax.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Banned

I actually wanted an auto for some reason but I wanted 17" wheels also, the only red GTO with 17's I could find was a M6. It's also nice since the A4 adds a nice fee for gas guzzler tax.
true , i feel if i had an auto i would be at the track every weekend and never at the car meets which is a good thing , shittie thing about the auto is if it breaks its expensive a T56 is a great tranny and the only thing thats gonna go is the clutch , i think autos are great ,but not the ancient 4 speed in the GTO , who uses 4 speed autos these days anyways
Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM

The way things are going with my knees from all the dumb **** I did growing up and the military, I may end up needing an auto too. I'm 27 and already have knee problems. An auto comes in handy for long drives, as well as consistancy. Try driving a manual through 5 hours of traffic, that sucks monkey *****. lol
Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 AM

An auto is always more consistent. It never misses a shift, it never shifts just a little too early or a little too late. It's always exactly the same.

As for the gas guzzler, you get one more MPG city, 4 highway. So you save $1300 That's gonna break you! Besides, if you're buying a sports car, you should be expecting to pay more for it.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

An auto is always more consistent. It never misses a shift, it never shifts just a little too early or a little too late. It's always exactly the same.

As for the gas guzzler, you get one more MPG city, 4 highway. So you save $1300 That's gonna break you! Besides, if you're buying a sports car, you should be expecting to pay more for it.
so your saying the auto is way better
Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
so your saying the auto is way better
No. Just saying that you don't see GTO's on a road course as often as you do a drag strip. As such, the auto is just a better choice, especially when there's not much of a difference in times, if any. Top it off with convenience if you use it as a DD, especially in traffic, and it's a pretty good choice. Road course, obviously the manual would be a better choice, as the auto in the GTO isn't designed for a road course. The MPG is also only 4 off on highway. Though how 21 is considered gas guzzler and 24 isn't, is beyond me

Though I am also wrong. Both cars qualify as gas guzzler, though the auto is $400 more.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:15 AM

The GTO is more of a drift car then road course vehicle. Actually, quite a damn good drift car.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Don't know why they make Automatic Sports cars......maybe for the handicapped. All of those one-legged Vietnam Vets in their 40's with a midlife crisis (going bald, thrice divorced, and a belly that blocks the sun from their *****), must be creating a high demand for shoving pickup truck transmissions into high power sports cars.
Couple quick points: Those Vietnam Vets are in their 50s, not 40s, you must be a youngster! And don't be disrespecting those Vets. If you ever were in the military you wouldnt's say stupid **** like that. Those Vets fought under worse conditions than the ones fighting in the mideast now.

Two: Yeah, it pisses me off how many Vettes and "sports cars" have autos. To me that's a secretary's car. May as well be a friggin' mustang. I've always had 3-4-5 speeds and have only had auto in low-dollar work cars. That's one of the things I like about the SS/SC, the tranny separates the performers from the stylists.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by DrPuttsSS/SC
Two: Yeah, it pisses me off how many Vettes and "sports cars" have autos. To me that's a secretary's car. May as well be a friggin' mustang. I've always had 3-4-5 speeds and have only had auto in low-dollar work cars. That's one of the things I like about the SS/SC, the tranny separates the performers from the stylists.
There's a lot more to it. Anyone saying that sticks are better without any real proof are just blindly following the "sports car" enthusiast masses, and really know nothing about cars. It depends on the situation you are in as to what trans the car should have.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:41 AM

Wow, going from a GTO vs. Cobalt thread to an Auto vs Manual thread...lol
Old 08-16-2007, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1gmfanatik
The GTO is more of a drift car then road course vehicle. Actually, quite a damn good drift car.
I prefer to think of the GTO as more of a "I'm going to haul ass, and then take your sister out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again" car.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:06 AM

You wish you could take my sister out..lol...

They are pretty quick and have massive potential, in which they should running with the LS series motors in em, but they are hefty which is why they have good competition from stock Camaro Z28's and SS's from the early 00's...I wanted one pretty bad (GTO) but the gas prices and my financial standings at the time were not jiveing...
Old 08-16-2007, 06:11 AM

There's a lot more to it. Anyone saying that sticks are better without any real proof are just blindly following the "sports car" enthusiast masses, and really know nothing about cars. It depends on the situation you are in as to what trans the car should have.
Let me start by saying that my first car was 4-speed and I've owned two 3-sp, two 4-sp and four 5-sp since then. I am an older guy and grew up when no one built a performance automatic. They were called slushboxes back then and yes, some of my beliefs were formed back when I was young.

I am not a blind sheep following the masses, I have years of experience and I couldn't care less what someone else thinks of me or my car. I don't care about "style" and am not a member of the "masses". I never take advice from anyone without critically analyzing that advice.

I am a scientist and only believe in proof, that's what drives me crazy about forums like this. So many people jump into threads with no facts. I try very hard to back up every statement I make here.

OK, so what kind of proof do you want? BTW, I will keep this personal, your experience may differ.
1. I have lived in large cities (Cleveland, Columbus, Memphis, others) and never got tired of shifting or holding the clutch in. It really doesn't bother me. It doesn't take much more pressure holding the clutch in than what you have to put on the brake pedal with an auto. Sure it is easier to drive an auto in the city but I don't care about easy.

2. You have more contol with a stick. You pick the gear, you decide how much clutch to use at any time. Your control of the cars' traction and forward motion is better, no doubt about it, every day, all the time. Anyone who has raced or driven on slick roads in the winter will verify that fact. It really makes a difference when you take off from a stop in the snow. And I don't have to punch the gas and ask the box to downshift for me, I'll do it myself thanks.

3. Braking in a stick car is better. You are not fighting the momentum of the engine because of the auto tranny. Brakes in a stick car heat up less and last much longer.

4. An auto adds to the complexity and weight, and decreases the reliablitly of a car. I have had to change 2 clutches in my life and have never blown a gear or had to replace a tranny. Autos are much more reliable than they used to be but still not as reliable as a manual tranny with a driver who has learned to shift well and not abuse it.

5. To me, that money spent on an automatic tranny is much better spent on performance parts. Did someone here say that it was a $1300 option in the GTO?

6. Finally, you do pay at the pump for an auto. Way better than it used to be (before locking torque converters) but you will still get less mileage than with a manual. Could really add up over the life of a car.

I am a traditionalist in what I consider a "sports car", and to me a part of that definition is a manual transmission. I understand that the catagory has gotten stretched to include many cars with autos and some of them perform as well as their manual versions. But I will always be more interested in light, 2-door, 5/6 speed manual cars, like my SS/SC or a Vette.

Finally, you can't do a gangsta lean when you have to shift!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:36 AM

^^You go boy...lol

Quick Reply: Y R all the GTO vs SS Threads Locked ?