Wheels and Tires All about wheels and tires. What fits, show tires, and so on

testing procedure TPM sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
testing procedure TPM sensors?

I swapped my winters on last night, and it appears as though one of my TPM (tire pressure monitor) sensors has died.

I don't quite know how they work, or get/hold a charge, but I figured that maybe after my 40mile drive to work, the sensor would register... it didn't.

Before anyone asks, I have an authentic GM TPM tool.

I also have (because I have collected TC wheels as the opportunity arose) five spare TPM sensors - one is bad; the other four, I am not sure.
Is there a way that I can test these four loose TPM sensors?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
The only thing you can do is drive on them for about 20mi to put them in "wake" or "drive" mode, then try to do the relearn then. I don't remember how long it takes but once they sit they go into a sleep mode to save battery. Which gm tpms tool do you have? The one we use gives a indication that the sensor is active by beeping and flashing the mghz reading. The sensors have a lithium cell inside them that is not replaceable. They last about 10 years so its about time they started dying. I got one on my ss that's going in and out throwing low count codes. Luckily the ls sit so much hopefully they will last a little longer.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Kolt
The only thing you can do is drive on them for about 20mi to put them in "wake" or "drive" mode, then try to do the relearn then. I don't remember how long it takes but once they sit they go into a sleep mode to save battery. Which gm tpms tool do you have? The one we use gives a indication that the sensor is active by beeping and flashing the mghz reading. The sensors have a lithium cell inside them that is not replaceable. They last about 10 years so its about time they started dying. I got one on my ss that's going in and out throwing low count codes. Luckily the ls sit so much hopefully they will last a little longer.
First, thanks for the reply.

The tool I have is the Kent-Moore J46079.

The four TMPS I have here have green bodies if that helps;
I think I started seeing some with black bodies a number of years ago.

The trouble is I am probably going to have to pay to have a sensor swapped, so I'd like to verify that the sensor is good before having it swapped in.
And I'd like to stay off buying any sensors if I can.

Maybe I just need to shake them awake?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:38 AM

Oh you got the old one lol. I haven't used that one in years. You can get sensors really cheap on amazon now, cheaper than I can buy them at work actually. Id be prepared for it. Have you tried to learn the sensors by the air pressure method.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 AM

I just shook them - and it seemed to wake them up!!

Sweet!

Funny thing is that I thought I tried this before, and nothing happened.

So I verified their functionality by seeing the ID number of all four of these sensors!

Thanks again for your reply!
Old 11-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Oh you got the old one lol. I haven't used that one in years. You can get sensors really cheap on amazon now, cheaper than I can buy them at work actually. Id be prepared for it. Have you tried to learn the sensors by the air pressure method.
yup. but I believe when I bought it, there was no other GM TPM tool out there.

I am glad to read the price has dropped on these TPMS - frankly I understand the logic behind it, but I see these like a cabin filter - just another cash grab.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:42 PM

Its useful, nice to know pressures without grabbing a gauge. I like having a cabin filter honestly, who doesn't like clean air, clean heater core, and clean evaporator.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:48 PM

...I like having a cabin filter honestly, who doesn't like clean air, clean heater core, and clean evaporator.
Fair enough;
It only filters air going into the cabin though;
The heater core can still get plugged up, and although I don't disagree with your opinion, as soon as mine was dirty I just tossed it...
I mean, what did we ever do before these filters were added?
Or even worse yet, what ever do we do if we want to open a window - there's no window air filters!?!

lol

Old 11-15-2018, 04:05 PM

The cabin filter actually filters air before it enters the hvac case, pre blower motor, which is pre heater and evap core so nothing can get clogged. We had the cores that could be serviced much more easily from the engine bay back then lol.