ZZ Performance ZZ Performance is a proud Supporting Vendor

My experience with ZZP

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience with ZZP

I am writing this for a few reasons, and I will be editing it through out the day as I get my thoughts together, my emails in order, and as I get actual time to write this.

This post is ment to be informative but there are parts that might come off as me bitching and complaining. But trust me, you would be too if you had been going through what I have. I am going to try and be as objective as possible. I will point out the mistakes I made as well as the mistakes this vendor made.

To begin with, I will tell you what prompted me to use this vendor vs a supporting vendor of this website. I initially went with DDM for my engine build. I talked with Dave almost every other day about options, price, timeframe ect...We agreed on everything and the build began. However unforeseen problems started to crop up delaying the build more and more. This was not Daves fault, this was not my fault. Had this not been my daily driver I would have continued to wait as I know Dave does great work. But my borrowed car was going away soon and I had to have an engine. Dave understood, refunded the entire amount and ate the cost on the custom pistons. I will talk more about Dave later in this post.

Now I have all my money back, no engine, and a blown motor in my Sky. Enter ZZP. I talk with them, they say they have an engine ready to ship on Friday. I say lets do it and send them the money. This engine, however, is more expensive, with less quality parts than what DDM was going to deliver. But I was in a hurry and they assured me that this engine could handle 800whp with fuel and a turbo.

Fast forward a week. The engine gets delivered and the swap begins. The shop doing the swap had never done an ecotec before so they were learning as they went. I dont have a problem with that because they were great on other platforms. Once the swap was finished, and the car was started, we were constantly getting a Low fuel pressure check engine light. (this is the part that is not ZZP's fault) I trouble shoot the issue with Matt from ZZP for a few days, and we finally discover that the plunger for the HPFP had been left in the old engine, therefore the HPFP was not pumping, and the engine was running on 60psi from the LPFP. I fixed this problem and I was sent on my way to break in the engine.

Per Matt M at ZZP, I used the break in oil they sent me for 500 miles with easy boosting. Taking it very easy on the engine... During this 500 mile break in the engine lost 1.75 quarts of oil. That is when I started the email chain with Matt about the oil loss.

The oil loss issue spanned many many emails. Most of them were trouble shooting steps that I completed and reported back to Matt. The last few emails were me and Matt discussing warranty info. Basically, what was expected of me and what ZZP was prepared to do. During our email exchanges, several times Matt insinuated that I was wasting his valuable time with my oil problem. I was also accused of doing something wrong and that was probably the cause of the oil loss issue. Several times I have pointed out that he is in a customer service position and he should not talk to paying customers, especially ones who fork over $7,000, like that. He then defended himself in a very argumentative mannor and I could see that this was going to go nowhere. I basically just accepted that I was dealing with a child who was in a position of authority over my warranty engine work. The last email I sent them basically said Thanks for nothing, this is the end of our business relationship.

Matt informed me that they would perform the work, at my cost of around $800 for engine removal and replacement. They would only cover the part that was bad. So even if it was their fault for the oil issue, as in, the rings are bad, or the valve seals are bad, I would be responsible for all the labor and shipping costs. This would put the total around $2000 for warranty work. WARRANTY work.... lol what a joke. However they said they may "work" with me on this. Well, if work with me means they will pay to ship it, fix it and ship it back then I am all for it. However, knowing what I know now about their company, I think I will have work done, at my expense, somewhere else.

By the way... here is the Better Business Bureau link to ZZP
Z Z Performance Business Review in Wyoming, MI - Western Michigan BBB

Once I get to work, I will forward the emails to my home address and post references to all of what I said.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:11 PM

Awesome and a f rating at that. Exactly why I spent money elsewhere
Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Banned

i usually talk with zoomer when i do business with them. matt just seems mouthy to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting. I know of a couple of friends that have had smaller issues but have trouble talking with ZZP about fixing and replacing.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM

1. You choose a shop who has never worked with an ecotec motor before. I'll tell you one thing - that says alot too. If I ordered a new motor, you damn well bet that I'd have my friend (a gm certified tech) put the motor in who actually knows what a hpfp is, and if i couldn't, I'd either fine a reputable one or I would have zzp do it themselves, and I would put on the 500 miles when they were around.

2. I co-owned a gym a while ago. The BBB ratings are fishy too. I don't know how many idiots i've had who have made comments to the BBB that was either false or they had no ground to stand on.

3. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but regardless, you are entitled to your feedback.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by raver0789
1. You choose a shop who has never worked with an ecotec motor before. I'll tell you one thing - that says alot too. If I ordered a new motor, you damn well bet that I'd have my friend (a gm certified tech) put the motor in who actually knows what a hpfp is, and if i couldn't, I'd either fine a reputable one or I would have zzp do it themselves, and I would put on the 500 miles when they were around.
I had the most reputable shop around me do it. Probably wasn't the best idea, but they got the job done after a few hiccups and my help.

. I co-owned a gym a while ago. The BBB ratings are fishy too. I don't know how many idiots i've had who have made comments to the BBB that was either false or they had no ground to stand on.
It may be fishy but it was brought to my attention after I started to question ZZP's reputation.

. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but regardless, you are entitled to your feedback.
I understand. Thanks man.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is always two sides to a story and since the average person is a kid in here, i tend to take the response of a company. Interested in seeing what zzp has to say about this.

What kind of steps did zzp do to troubleshoot the oil, and is the car running like a slouch? Is it still loosing oil or just that one time.

I have dealt with Matt & Steve a ton and have never had issues in email on anything.BBB complaints are a joke IMO as well.

Hope you get this worked out with zzp but this is definately not going to help the matter IMO.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ULWizSS
There is always two sides to a story and since the average person is a kid in here, i tend to take the response of a company. Interested in seeing what zzp has to say about this.

What kind of steps did zzp do to troubleshoot the oil, and is the car running like a slouch? Is it still loosing oil or just that one time.

I have dealt with Matt & Steve a ton and have never had issues in email on anything.BBB complaints are a joke IMO as well.

Hope you get this worked out with zzp but this is definately not going to help the matter IMO.
Engine consistently burns a quart of oil every 500 miles.

Steps I took per ZZP to diagnose the oil consumption.
1. rebuilt the turbo at a cost of $500 dollars. IT did nothing
2. Multiple compression checks
3. Multiple leak down checks
4. re-made my intake per Matt to create high and low pressure ports for the PCV system

compression was 140 across the board, seems low but matt didnt have an answer as to what it should be

leak down was around 7% per cylinder

With the PCV correct per matt we still lost oil.

As far as my dealings with ZZP, I have ended them. So this thread has no effect on the outcome of my engine. They made it clear that I am responsible for everything except the price of the failed component.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM

sub'd
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM

wow... ya i wanna see if zzp will chime in on this
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MastaShaKe_88
wow... ya i wanna see if zzp will chime in on this
Yea allying the op a lier and it's all his fault about everything on the engine and whatever else ive seen to many of these threads go for a day and be deleted.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM

This company is amazing. There is only ONE reason they've stayed in business as long as they have. That reason is, I'm sorry to say, their demographics. If their customers were 10 years older they would have been out of business long ago. I'm not trying to slam youth in any way, it's just the way it is. ALL car brands have their particular stereotypes, some hold true, others don't. German car owners have no problem spending $1000 on a minor service. Corvette owners will sit out in front of the dealership to see if you're gonna test drive their car, and if you do, they'll follow you to make sure you don't rev it over 3k rpm. GTO owners are similar, we had a GTO guy put his Dashhawk on record and reviewed the test drive the tech took, came back and demanded the tech be fired. Cadillac owners will demand a new paint job if there is the slightest little blemish in their paint. Solstice and Sky owners are weird old men. (lol, just being honest here.) And lastly, Cobalt owners are young, inexperienced, don't have that much disposable income, and have no problem laying under their car in their apartment parking lot to save a buck on repair costs. Of course NO stereotype holds true for 100% of the owners, I'm sure there's 50 year old Cobalt owners with PHD's, making 6 figure incomes. Be honest though, if there is there's probably only one.

Back to the subject...
With that inexperience and wanting the absolute cheapest solution to their car issues or mods, obviously they're going to be happy with a company like ZZP. Many Cobalt owners have been waiting for ZZP's bolt-on EFR solution, while I know of about a dozen Kappa owners that have spent 10's of thousands of dollars putting turbo's or V-8's in their cars in the meantime. The last guy I talked to about doing the EFR spent about $12k doing his turbo, engine, clutch, etc. I actually tried to talk him out of spending that much, but he didn't care about the money and wanted his non-essential, non-daily driver perfect. You can buy a WHOLE Cobalt for that kind of money. How many Cobalt owners are gonna want to spend more on mods for their cars than they did buying the actual car? I'm betting not that many.

Again, sorry to ramble, back to my point...
I tried to post a thread on this forum about a major design flaw in one of ZZP's products. Since it would have shown ZZP in a bad light as far as their product quality, it was IMMEDIATELY deleted. NOTHING I wrote was false or fabricated. It was a truthful review of a product that ZZP sells. I was not allowed to voice my opinions on this forum because of the effect ZZP has had on the mods on here. This is censorship plain and simple. Are we in China already? Last I checked we were all still in the USA.

ZZP has the most horrendous customer service and internet presence of any company I've EVER seen. There's only one way to stop the abuse this company dishes out, don't accept it as OK. It's not.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by bogalusahondakiller
Yea allying the op a lier and it's all his fault about everything on the engine and whatever else ive seen to many of these threads go for a day and be deleted.
*sigh* tis true tho
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
$7000 ? Wtf
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 PM

John, I have tried to be cordial in my emails, accepting everything as it comes and taking it with a grain of salt. I figured in the end it would right itself. But it did not. So now, my only option is to tell my experience and hope it reaches the right person at ZZP, and they will change how they do business and treat customers.

I have explained that if I treat my customers, Navy/Airforce/Marines/Army with the same level of respect I have been treated, they would take their million dollar contracts right out of my hands and give them to someone who gives a damn.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mongorat427
$7000 ? Wtf
$6700. Sorry

Some of that was refunded because some of the parts would not work with my sky since I dont have an electric PS pump. But yeah.. originally $6700. Rounded up. Sorry.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by bogalusahondakiller
Why in the world would this get deleted? Do they own this forum? I know they are a sponsor, but I didn't think they could delete threads. Maybe I should make it not in their sub forum?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by 20gsky
John, I have tried to be cordial in my emails, accepting everything as it comes and taking it with a grain of salt. I figured in the end it would right itself. But it did not. So now, my only option is to tell my experience and hope it reaches the right person at ZZP, and they will change how they do business and treat customers.

I have explained that if I treat my customers, Navy/Airforce/Marines/Army with the same level of respect I have been treated, they would take their million dollar contracts right out of my hands and give them to someone who gives a damn.
I know for a fact you are not the trouble making kid you were a year ago, I don't even have to see your emails to ZZP to know you were cordial and professional to the utmost degree. If a responsible adult such as yourself cannot reason or get satisfaction from ZZP, nobody can.

If anyone has any doubts about how Jeb dealt with ZZP, I would bet he would have no problem showing the emails. Only reason I'm saying this is that will be one of Matt's offense points, to say Jeb was "unreasonable" or "unprofessional". He's not.

Oh and calling $6700- $7000 is not a big deal. Damn, that's only a few tanks of gas difference! You spent a bunch of money. You should be happy with your purchase. Your purchase is broken. I think I'd be going to BBB or small claims court, or a lawyer.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz
This company is amazing. There is only ONE reason they've stayed in business as long as they have. That reason is, I'm sorry to say, their demographics. If their customers were 10 years older they would have been out of business long ago. I'm not trying to slam youth in any way, it's just the way it is. ALL car brands have their particular stereotypes, some hold true, others don't. German car owners have no problem spending $1000 on a minor service. Corvette owners will sit out in front of the dealership to see if you're gonna test drive their car, and if you do, they'll follow you to make sure you don't rev it over 3k rpm. GTO owners are similar, we had a GTO guy put his Dashhawk on record and reviewed the test drive the tech took, came back and demanded the tech be fired. Cadillac owners will demand a new paint job if there is the slightest little blemish in their paint. Solstice and Sky owners are weird old men. (lol, just being honest here.) And lastly, Cobalt owners are young, inexperienced, don't have that much disposable income, and have no problem laying under their car in their apartment parking lot to save a buck on repair costs. Of course NO stereotype holds true for 100% of the owners, I'm sure there's 50 year old Cobalt owners with PHD's, making 6 figure incomes. Be honest though, if there is there's probably only one.

Back to the subject...
With that inexperience and wanting the absolute cheapest solution to their car issues or mods, obviously they're going to be happy with a company like ZZP. Many Cobalt owners have been waiting for ZZP's bolt-on EFR solution, while I know of about a dozen Kappa owners that have spent 10's of thousands of dollars putting turbo's or V-8's in their cars in the meantime. The last guy I talked to about doing the EFR spent about $12k doing his turbo, engine, clutch, etc. I actually tried to talk him out of spending that much, but he didn't care about the money and wanted his non-essential, non-daily driver perfect. You can buy a WHOLE Cobalt for that kind of money. How many Cobalt owners are gonna want to spend more on mods for their cars than they did buying the actual car? I'm betting not that many.

Again, sorry to ramble, back to my point...
I tried to post a thread on this forum about a major design flaw in one of ZZP's products. Since it would have shown ZZP in a bad light as far as their product quality, it was IMMEDIATELY deleted. NOTHING I wrote was false or fabricated. It was a truthful review of a product that ZZP sells. I was not allowed to voice my opinions on this forum because of the effect ZZP has had on the mods on here. This is censorship plain and simple. Are we in China already? Last I checked we were all still in the USA.

ZZP has the most horrendous customer service and internet presence of any company I've EVER seen. There's only one way to stop the abuse this company dishes out, don't accept it as OK. It's not.
i deleted your thread because it WAS full of slander, false info, and misrepresentation. and i told you never to bring it up. remember? final warning, then you're gone. go back and look at your posts since joining 75% or more are bashing zzp and people in general. i'm honestly surprised another mod or black or speedlimit himself hasn't canned your ass.

OP, here is the warranty info as per their website. and like i also said to GM Tech via pm's. just because i have a zzp signature does not mean i'm takin it up the ass, i take the same actions no matter what vendor is being brought up. i just happen to have an entire build done by them and have spent more than most people paid for their cars, to me being 100% satisfied in everything they've done for me, yeah... i'll rep their name.. that has no effect on my actions here though.

Warranty information:
Warranty is 1 year. Warranty begins on date of purchase and covers defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty provides for a replacement or repair (at our discretion) of engine only, and does not cover labor, shipping, or any other costs. Purchaser and installer assume all liability with regard to any and all damages in any way related to the purchase, shipping, installation, and/or use of this engine.

HP related, and tuning related failures are not covered under warranty. This means piston melt down/chipping, blown head gaskets, or broken sleeves are not covered under warranty. We recommend discussion usage plans and having us build an appropriate engine for you to avoid this problem.

Here are examples of what is and what is not covered and how we’ll take care of it:
  • The warranty starts the day you have it installed or it arrives if shipped. Mileage does not affect warranty.
  • If your motor ingests debris, it will not be covered by warranty
  • If you run the motor out of oil, do not run synthetic oil, or do not change the oil at regular intervals it will not be covered under warranty.
  • If you have an oil cooler installed which leaks and causes engine failure it will not be covered under warranty.
  • If you have a flywheel which breaks or the bolts back out it will not be covered under warranty.
  • If you have an engine installed here and it needs service you must bring your car back. If this isn't possible you will be responsible for the local R&R and it will have to be shipped back for warranty. You will be responsible for shipping here and we will pay for return shipping. If your engine breaks on the way home, we limit liability to a 50 mile tow, after which you will be responsible for all costs. Please take this into account when considering whether to drive in for an install or have it done locally.
  • For service on engines that were shipped (including units that have problems immediately), you will be responsible for return shipping. We will pay for shipping back to you. Our engines are tested before shipping so the chance of this should be very small. If you choose to have a shop do any repair on your engine, we will not be responsible for any charges unless prior arrangements have been made and agreed upon in writing detailing specifics.
  • If you have another shop work on your engine internals or you open it yourself, the ZZP warranty is void and we will not be liable for any costs or problems in the future.
  • If the engine you receive has sensors on it, they are not covered under warranty. We are selling you the engine, not the sensors.

That should explain everything. next time you might want to look in to these things before you expect "this and that" from them when something fails.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:32 PM

I do not have the time or the money to deal with this any further right now. The wife is having issues and may require surgery.

Now that I have basically thrown the "warranty" away, I will be doing further troubleshooting on my own. One will be replacing all the valve seals myself. What better way to learn than to do. I will write up what I find inside the head. Hopefully It is one or two that got messed up when they replaced the valve springs or the cams.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 PM

Thank you EXsoccer, this was pointed out to me earlier. "something" didn't fail by the way, the entire longblock has failed. Burning 2 quarts of oil every 1k miles is a failure, and I think that this type of catastrophic failure may warrant some out of the ordinary warranty work. It does not matter anymore. Like I said, I have ended my business relationship with them solely on the way I was treated.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

think of it this way,

how do they know that what you tell them is what actually happened? i'm not saying "you sir, are a liar", but to them you're just a customer who had an engine shipped to and installed by a 3rd party shop, who also had never done an ecotec engine before. zzp is going to look at it this way, well we sent off his engine, its out of our hands now. if something fails yeah it may possibly be covered under warranty. but they aren't going to know what failed until the engine is torn apart and inspected it. which is something THEY do. all you have to do is have the engine sent to them.

all i'm going to say is your engine was shipped to a non zzp shop, installed by a non zzp employee who had never done an ecotec before, tuned by a non zzp employee, and broken in by a non zzp employee. and you want them to cover it without even sending it up to them to be diagnosed as to what failed????
Old 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
i deleted your thread because it WAS full of slander, false info, and misrepresentation. and i told you never to bring it up. remember? final warning, then you're gone. go back and look at your posts since joining 75% or more are bashing zzp and people in general. i'm honestly surprised another mod or black or speedlimit himself hasn't canned your ass.

OP, here is the warranty info as per their website. and like i also said to GM Tech via pm's. just because i have a zzp signature does not mean i'm takin it up the ass, i take the same actions no matter what vendor is being brought up. i just happen to have an entire build done by them and have spent more than most people paid for their cars, to me being 100% satisfied in everything they've done for me, yeah... i'll rep their name.. that has no effect on my actions here though.

That should explain everything. next time you might want to look in to these things before you expect "this and that" from them when something fails.

You would really "can" gmtech (or anyone else for that matter) for expressing his own oppinion about a vendor? Granted it is a very strong oppinion, but an oppinion none the less posted on a public forum. I ovbiously don't know the content of what was said in the deleted thread, but it just strikes me as a tad harsh and inappropriate use of "moderator muscle".
Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
You would really "can" gmtech (or anyone else for that matter) for expressing his own oppinion about a vendor? Granted it is a very strong oppinion, but an oppinion none the less posted on a public forum. I ovbiously don't know the content of what was said in the deleted thread, but it just strikes me as a tad harsh and inappropriate use of "moderator muscle".
i've highlighted your question. and the answer.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 PM

So he gets a engine that burns 2 quarts of oil during a break in procedure and it's the instal is wrong? I don't think so. I am a mechanic and that don't happen I have engines that cost more than most of the cars on here and that don't happen. But before I get In trouble for being correct an helping the op.

Quick Reply: My experience with ZZP