ZZ Performance ZZ Performance is a proud Supporting Vendor

ZZP's 4t45e

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They have stalls up to 3500 I believe. I've been considering a built zzp trans but I'd rather pay the car off first instead of just blowing my upcoming tax return lol. Dick measuring contest needs to end.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 1LowLS
Thanks Matt!What fluid type would you run in this transmission?Factory is Dex VI,Would you stick with that?This is not for me btw,Just trying to get as much info as possible for auto guys as I am manual.

There you go Ty.I think this trans would be good,but you should look into a much larger trans fluid cooler.Keep the heat down as much as possible and get a higher stall so you could actually launch in boost.
We run Dexron 6.

On the 2.4 cars, depending on what turbo you are running, it is easy to launch in boost. The ECM file has to be modified to allow brake boosting, though. The stock setting will not allow WOT with the brake depressed.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's a 2.2.The converter is to tight for it to get into boost.I think it would go right around 2000rpm and you can hear the turbo starting to spool but doesn't build boost.He may have to have our tuner look over his tune for that though.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
We run Dexron 6.

On the 2.4 cars, depending on what turbo you are running, it is easy to launch in boost. The ECM file has to be modified to allow brake boosting, though. The stock setting will not allow WOT with the brake depressed.
What would you midify in the ecm? My stock stall goes to 2k which obviously won't spool.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Man, you just keep ignoring what I said. You don't have to assume what they build. I told you that they don't build trannies, but you are being stubborn because you are mad. that's why you can't say, "Oh, I didn't know that." and move on.

I clearly stated that no one here said that Bates built a trans for us, but you could have easily misunderstood something that was said. Since you can't give me a name or produce the email where this came from, I have to stick the much higher probability that it was just a communication failure. It's not a big deal. It happens. Move on.

As far as this Saturn, I did not know his screen name, so I had to do some searching. I do not know how hard he is running his setup daily, so once again, there is nothing solid to go from.

As far as the builders knowing better- that is not necessarily true. They don't know the application like we do. When they tear apart a trans and the parts are all small and don't look like they would hold up to much, it can be deceiving. Cobalts are light, which helps a lot. Furthermore, these have a 3.63 final drive which gives a significant mechanical advantage over for example, a GTP running a 2.93 final drive. It is similar to how we put 4.45s in our F35s and they handle a lot more power and abuse as a result. They are not putting these cars on a dyno or going out and running 11s in them like we have. They are just diagnosing failures and putting the best parts in them that they can. Their main experience in this application comes from the 4T65 transmissions. They built the one in my 8 second car and aside from input shaft breakage, it has never failed in ~8 years. Their 4t45 builds are based on what they know from the 4t65 since they are similar transmissions.

Almost thought it was over lol...
I'm still talking with Shane though to see if the 4t65 is going to work out for me. Still waiting on an end quote to see how much everything will be... He said he needed to talk to Ryan to get it all situated out. I was originally quoted 4000-5000 plus shipping the car back and forth. which is anywhere from 1700 to 2000... So About 6000-7000, his last email said it would be more like 8000 because of the TCM. Still don't know if shipping was included in that price or not though.

He's a 2.2.The converter is to tight for it to get into boost.I think it would go right around 2000rpm and you can hear the turbo starting to spool but doesn't build boost.He may have to have our tuner look over his tune for that though.
You know how I drive my car Steve, I'm not easy on it. I honestly don't think the 4t45e is the way for me to go. I think it would end up just like any of the others unfortunately. I really just want to be done with it completely and just drive the damn thing and not have to worry about it My cars been sitting more in the last 2 years than it has been drive able. I want the big bad ass transmission that I know ZZP could build to be bullet proof. Then I don't have to worry and my mind will be at ease!
Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor

Scan it and see if the actual throttle position is going to 100%. It could be keeping the RPM down by only allowing part throttle like the LE5s do.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tundraboarder666
I'm still talking with Shane though to see if the 4t65 is going to work out for me. Still waiting on an end quote to see how much everything will be... He said he needed to talk to Ryan to get it all situated out. I was originally quoted 4000-5000 plus shipping the car back and forth. which is anywhere from 1700 to 2000... So About 6000-7000, his last email said it would be more like 8000 because of the TCM. Still don't know if shipping was included in that price or not though.
Yes, a 4t65 swap is seriously expensive. It requires tilting the motor forward, so custom mounts all around. With the forward tilt comes the need for a custom sump. With the forward tilt, you also end up changing your charge tubes. Both axles need to be custom made. You need the bellhousing adapter plate. You need a torque converter. You need a custom shift cable bracket and connector. On top of all this, the trans itself is $2500-$3500 depending on what upgrades you want. You can get it to run on the factory ECM, but it means a custom wire harness and you will be at a disadvantage vs. running a good aftermarket trans controller like Ryan runs. All in all, it is a big project and could eat up all of $10k.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Yeah it sounds like a big badass job... out of curiosity how long would that take?
Old 07-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Scan it and see if the actual throttle position is going to 100%. It could be keeping the RPM down by only allowing part throttle like the LE5s do.
Well his trans is toast so won't be able to do that for a while.Good idea though.

You know how I drive my car Steve, I'm not easy on it. I honestly don't think the 4t45e is the way for me to go. I think it would end up just like any of the others unfortunately. I really just want to be done with it completely and just drive the damn thing and not have to worry about it My cars been sitting more in the last 2 years than it has been drive able. I want the big bad ass transmission that I know ZZP could build to be bullet proof. Then I don't have to worry and my mind will be at ease!
Yea but we already talked about your last trans failure and what it more than likely was.I dunno though,this is why I stick with my manual gearbox's.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM

Yeah it sounds like a big badass job... out of curiosity how long would that take?

10k? BFD, this guy wants to know how long you'll be!

Awesome man, determination and $$$ can solve any problem so I hope your next tranny is your last
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 PM

Why is it that it took a VENDOR 3 pages before they even attempted to answer questions from the OP and page 1?

Was it that hard to say,"Honestly we don't know what it can handle, so far the highest numbers posted it can hold(that we know of) are xxxhp and xxxtq,"? I would have been satisfied with that in your first post, I honestly wouldn't have wasted the time to read this whole thread just to find out how unprofessional a supposed reputable company can be.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 PM

It wasn't because the question remained unasked, and yes it gives a bad impression of a pretty decent vendor.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM
Former Vendor

It would take a couple weeks, minimum.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Why is it that it took a VENDOR 3 pages before they even attempted to answer questions from the OP and page 1?

Was it that hard to say,"Honestly we don't know what it can handle, so far the highest numbers posted it can hold(that we know of) are xxxhp and xxxtq,"? I would have been satisfied with that in your first post, I honestly wouldn't have wasted the time to read this whole thread just to find out how unprofessional a supposed reputable company can be.
We already did provide an estimate of what it can handle before this thread was made. It was the context of the thread making it sound like our answer was dishonest that started the debate. I won't come into a thread where someone is trying to discredit us and proceed to answer questions like that never happened. Some companies will. Others will just hide. We don't take either route. We put the facts out there and let people decide if they like them or not.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:01 AM

We already did provide an estimate of what it can handle before this thread was made. It was the context of the thread making it sound like our answer was dishonest that started the debate. I won't come into a thread where someone is trying to discredit us and proceed to answer questions like that never happened. Some companies will. Others will just hide. We don't take either route. We put the facts out there and let people decide if they like them or not.
But at the beginning you could have simply said:

"These are the numbers we have verified xxxhp xxx tq, we speculate it could reach higher but it has not yet been tested."

Then hopped on the defensive. You both were ignoring replies (even to each other) and just having an all out Twisted Metal battle of the sandy vaginas...

And yes I agree OttawaMark.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never launched the car on any of the built transmissions once... the trans coolers perfectly fine...
You know how I drive my car Steve, I'm not easy on it.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 AM

Hopefully OP renames this thread, wouldn't want to confuse it with information about ZZPs 4t45e
Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 AM

true story lmao and Exsoccerblah blah I'm not looking to see what the rest of your SN is lmao,He doesn't launch it hard,but roll races the **** out of it.So he did not contradict himself as I think you were implying.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
actually. 1921 is less than typing blah blah. but you can call me Ex, exsoccer, soccer. any of those will work
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 AM

I didn't see any blatant contradiction either, you can drive hard and still not bag the ***** out of it.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
actually. 1921 is less than typing blah blah. but you can call me Ex, exsoccer, soccer. any of those will work
Haha true but I didn't feel like scrolling up.
Originally Posted by OttawaMark
I didn't see any blatant contradiction either, you can drive hard and still not bag the ***** out of it.
I saw his intention and I know how OP drives.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:30 AM

3 built ones actually... lol

Built motor, full bolt-ons, e-85, sccobaltss tune, Gt2860rs 17 PSI.
Chris tuned you? He did a ton of tuning on my car as well. He knows how to make some serious HP, Im currently on trans #4 and going in to motor #2. I like having too much HP lol.

I think the 4t65eHD swap would be my only path if I were in your shows at this point, but thats just me, good luck with the car and keep doing work breaking those parts. Ill do the same here
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 AM
Banned

I have the zzp trans... I am running 271 currently.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:00 AM

Op is well over that.

Quick Reply: ZZP's 4t45e