08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Official 2008 SS/TC shipping news

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
I am at this point no longer on speaking terms with the GM (He stated that since I was obviously frustrated that perhaps he shouldn't sell me the car),
I would have been at his dealership in as fast as I could and rammed it up his ass and went somewhere else. What a tool, he should not have said that to a customer.

Did you buy it yet, ie, sign all of the loan paperwork?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:15 PM

I signed the buyer's order but got outside financing (4.5% for 72). Problem is this dealership is the only one in Utah to get imperial blue and all other SS/TC in the state have already been sold. Loan work has already been put in and approved.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM

We need to find out how many of us are just waiting for the car. Then we find out by going up the phone tree to find the right person to talk to who can make somthing happen. Then lets say we have 30 of us waiting for are cars you take 30 x 23,995 = 719,850.00 and we let them know that if we don't get are cars in one week we will drop every thing and buy something that is not a chevy ..........Now who is with me!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol my car was on a truck to come to my dealership from LA on monday night...still not here =[
I'm hoping it gets in tomorrow, there were other cars on the truck that had to go to other dealers
so hopefully that's why it's taking longer. UUGGHH.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by TurboSS
We need to find out how many of us are just waiting for the car. Then we find out by going up the phone tree to find the right person to talk to who can make somthing happen. Then lets say we have 30 of us waiting for are cars you take 30 x 23,995 = 719,850.00 and we let them know that if we don't get are cars in one week we will drop every thing and buy something that is not a chevy ..........Now who is with me!!!!!!!
I am with you, the problem is, chevy knows these cars will sell with us or without us. There will be a line of people wanting to buy them if we move onto something else.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by fubar993
I am with you, the problem is, chevy knows these cars will sell with us or without us. There will be a line of people wanting to buy them if we move onto something else.
The other problem is that there is nothing else out there quite like this. Trust me I have been looking and for the price this is the best there is performance wise. If I spend more then I can get a WRX but even the new ones have less hp (and I am bumping up against my budget). If I spend the same then I am looking at 175-180 hp...maybe 190 if I get an STI but you can't even find those right now in my area. I have been considering a WRX, STI or Tiburon SE..but they just don't seem to measure up...any alternatives that I may have missed? The magic $ here is 25K....

Oh and forget the Mazda Speed 3 and Caliber...No use getting power if I wouldn't be caught dead in something that ugly....

Last edited by Nakaiya21; 06-12-2008 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Additional thought
Old 06-12-2008, 09:18 AM

The other problem is that there is nothing else out there quite like this. Trust me I have been looking and for the price this is the best there is performance wise. If I spend more then I can get a WRX but even the new ones have less hp (and I am bumping up against my budget). If I spend the same then I am looking at 175-180 hp...maybe 190 if I get an STI but you can't even find those right now in my area. I have been considering a WRX, STI or Tiburon SE..but they just don't seem to measure up...any alternatives that I may have missed? The magic $ here is 25K....

Oh and forget the Mazda Speed 3 and Caliber...No use getting power if I wouldn't be caught dead in something that ugly....
I looked at all of those too, almost got the mazdaspeed 3. The caliber is ugly, but some people like it. Personal taste I guess. WRX is ok, although the new model style is a bit uglier than before. There are plenty of civic SI's around me, but I wasn't all that impressed to be honest, although I have no idea how the cobalt SS matches up since I haven't been able to drive one yet. I thought the STI's had 300 HP? I know they are faster than the cobalt SS.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by fubar993
I looked at all of those too, almost got the mazdaspeed 3. The caliber is ugly, but some people like it. Personal taste I guess. WRX is ok, although the new model style is a bit uglier than before. There are plenty of civic SI's around me, but I wasn't all that impressed to be honest, although I have no idea how the cobalt SS matches up since I haven't been able to drive one yet. I thought the STI's had 300 HP? I know they are faster than the cobalt SS.
Yeah, an WRX STI is...I'm sorry...mean't Civic SI...accidently pressed T...anyways a WRX STI is way out of the price range...it would have to be a plain ol' WRX. I have been 'borrowing' a 2007 WRX and I have finally gotten the hang of it to the point that I like it but the thought of paying more for less power on a '08 just sucks...
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Yeah, an WRX STI is...I'm sorry...mean't Civic SI...accidently pressed T...anyways a WRX STI is way out of the price range...it would have to be a plain ol' WRX. I have been 'borrowing' a 2007 WRX and I have finally gotten the hang of it to the point that I like it but the thought of paying more for less power on a '08 just sucks...
Gotcha. I was looking at some used STI's but the only way I can get it in the right price range is a 2004/2005 with high mileage. Sucks.
So the balt it is, and so i wait.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I don't neccesarily think the WRX is higher up on the totem pole compared to the Cobalt SS. At its core its just like the CSS, econobox car w/ expensive powertrain, although in the Subies case its even more expensive due to AWD.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by krispy
I don't neccesarily think the WRX is higher up on the totem pole compared to the Cobalt SS. At its core its just like the CSS, econobox car w/ expensive powertrain, although in the Subies case its even more expensive due to AWD.
Trust me if I could get an STI I would...hands down. The AWD is a big plus in my book...however, since price is a big issue I guess I will have to wait like everyone else...it is just really bad being without a car....

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the dealer. ALL COLBALT SS/TC DUE TO SHIP HAVE BEEN PUT BACK ON HOLD CITING QUALITY ISSUES!!! Mine has been taken off the train and been bayed again! It is time for everyone to put out feeler and try to figure out what is going on. According to my dealer they are holding all SS/TCs until the issue is resolved. This means another full round of inspections (3 weeks?) and then shipping will resume. There are rumors the issue may be due to a part associated with the turbo failing and that it might require a recall on the few SS/TCs out there.....

Last edited by Nakaiya21; 06-12-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 06-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Trust me if I could get an STI I would...hands down. The AWD is a big plus in my book...however, since price is a big issue I guess I will have to wait like everyone else...it is just really bad being without a car....

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with the dealer. ALL COLBALT SS/TC DUE TO SHIP HAVE BEEN PUT BACK ON HOLD CITING QUALITY ISSUES!!! Mine has been taken off the train and been bayed again! It is time for everyone to put out feeler and try to figure out what is going on. According to my dealer they are holding all SS/TCs until the issue is resolved. This means another full round of inspections (3 weeks?) and then shipping will resume. There are rumors the issue may be due to a part associated with the turbo failing and that it might require a recall on the few SS/TCs out there.....
I hope they are wrong or just pulling your leg. 4 more weeks of waiting? With no car? If it's true, I will have to cancel.

What about all of the solstice (redline) and skys (GXP) out there? Same turbo I thought?
Old 06-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Surprised they are still having this issue they fixed the first one which was one of the high pressure vacuum lines had to large of a clamp on it making the turbo spool all the time, it takes about a week to do inspections and i got to believe they are being forced to do them quickly, i guess i am just lucky to have gotten mine when i did, hey on another note if anyone in oregon or the western states wants one my dealer has one that is just sitting outside.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cobaltss/TC
Surprised they are still having this issue they fixed the first one which was one of the high pressure vacuum lines had to large of a clamp on it making the turbo spool all the time, it takes about a week to do inspections and i got to believe they are being forced to do them quickly, i guess i am just lucky to have gotten mine when i did, hey on another note if anyone in oregon or the western states wants one my dealer has one that is just sitting outside.
It may have only taken a week to gets your thorugh...but mine took 3 weeks to get through the hose issue (it was finally released on 6/5)....I can only assume that I am looking at the same time frame here. It could be that they are doing them in VIN order which would indicate that mine was built near the back of the pack. Any info found please share...this seems to be the only place where you can actually get an answer...

Also, the dealer has put in a call to the regional manager...if I get any more information I will post asap!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:01 PM

Any info found please share...this seems to be the only place where you can actually get an answer...
This is the sad part about the entire situation. We get more info here then our dealers or chevrolet.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM

Unfortunately that is the case.... I am putting out a all call to any GM sales personnel: Is anything on the way to Utah or Mass? Have any recall notifications been posted?

What can I say...perhaps basic skills decrease exponentially in proportion to the distance from the dealership....

Also, if anyone needs VINs to track some cars let us know. I know I will be happy to supply mine!
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Yup I have my VIN number too
Old 06-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Unfortunately that is the case.... I am putting out a all call to any GM sales personnel: Is anything on the way to Utah or Mass? Have any recall notifications been posted?

What can I say...perhaps basic skills decrease exponentially in proportion to the distance from the dealership....

Also, if anyone needs VINs to track some cars let us know. I know I will be happy to supply mine!

I just checked and as for Utah everyone but three cars have been shipped or at the dealer
there are 4 ss/tc sitting on lots in Utah, as for Mass there are only 4 cars that haven't shipped,
also there are cars sittin on lots in Mass
Old 06-12-2008, 02:49 PM

I just checked and as for Utah everyone but three cars have been shipped or at the dealer
there are 4 ss/tc sitting on lots in Utah, as for Mass there are only 4 cars that haven't shipped,
yay it's here! =]
Old 06-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rissa
yay it's here! =]
color/options/topless pics with car?

err...I mean...

nvm
Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM

Mine is one of the 4 that haven't shipped, go figure

I know there are some on the lots... but i can't get them.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by krispy
color/options/topless pics with car?

err...I mean...

nvm
Lol, black on black with everything except the high-rise wing
no topless pics but I'll make sure I'm in them :P
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Congrats on getting it!

I hope the rest are soon to follow.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 PM

congrats man!!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by rudeone79
congrats man!!!!

Thanks! the guy was sooo sneaky on the phone too! He was like "I heard you've been waiting for a while" and i was like well duhhh and he said "well when's the best time?" I said "umm best time for what?" And he replied "to get your car of course" That's when I probably made him deaf by screaming so loud.

Quick Reply: Official 2008 SS/TC shipping news