08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

Story of a ZZP Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chevycobaltss3
I have no clue but if the rod was put to the stockich setting it would grind into gear.. oh yeah. It was also causeing the clutch master cylinder to fail..
LIES! I Call BS! I want pictures and video of said failure and sound of said grinding and pics and video and pics and more video of the master cylinder AS IT FAILED!

LMAO j/k's Just busting your ***** James
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Banned

Lulz... Why does everyone mess with me.. I got tears :'('''''''
Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Our clutches don't need the adjustable rod, but some people like to use it for fine-tuning. Also, we have seen cases where the stock clutch rod bends when used with higher pressure plates.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I kno were past the mpg thing, but I got 29 avg on a road trip to mizzo on gas n that was stayin just above the speedlimit
Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LOL Ive worked on a few zzp cars and they needed there adjustable rod.. Witht he ky clutches you dont have to have them!!!
I have no clue but if the rod was put to the stockich setting it would grind into gear.. oh yeah. It was also causeing the clutch master cylinder to fail..
Originally Posted by Matt M
Our clutches don't need the adjustable rod, but some people like to use it for fine-tuning. Also, we have seen cases where the stock clutch rod bends when used with higher pressure plates.
So I'm gathering here that I may or may not need the rod. Is there any way to tell? The pedal feels great now that it's nice and bled, with no grinding.

Any ideas on what was causing the master cylinder failure versus other clutch brands? Was ZZP made aware of any of these possible issues?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Banned

The adjustable clutch rod pushes the master cylinder piston farther then it should since it raises the peddle up. And it causes the piston failure.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM

The adjustable clutch rod pushes the master cylinder piston farther then it should since it raises the peddle up. And it causes the piston failure.
So from that point of view, would it be better to stay with the stock rod unless failure of the stock rod or tranny grinding warrants needing it?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My adjustable clutch rod is adjusted back to factory on my car. But I bought a new master cylinder when I installed the adjustable rod and found that my bleeder screw was leaking around the threads, I'm guessing my clutch never was completely bled. I'm running the clutchmasters stage 4.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor

We have installed dozens of these and never ran into an issue like that. It sounds like it was adjusted way too far out in that case.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
My adjustable clutch rod is adjusted back to factory on my car. But I bought a new master cylinder when I installed the adjustable rod and found that my bleeder screw was leaking around the threads, I'm guessing my clutch never was completely bled. I'm running the clutchmasters stage 4.

Yeah, I've heard of that happening before.

A mechanic told me the other day that a customer was coming to him complaining that the clutch kept "un-bleeding" itself somehow, and kept getting a soft pedal when it wasn't driven regularly. It turned out that there was a seal that was leaking on the clutch pipe by where it goes in the tranny to the slave. From the sound of it, it was a non-SS with a manual.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned

So basically a adjustable clutch rod shouldn't be adjusted so much? Why have a adjustable.clutch rod.. I get the reason for one. But if it shouldnt be adjusted so much, you guys should have made it not to. so it is a part failure. And the csrs that came to me with the adjustable rods were done by zzp.
Originally Posted by Matt M
We have installed dozens of these and never ran into an issue like that. It sounds like it was adjusted way too far out in that case.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stamina
So I'm gathering here that I may or may not need the rod. Is there any way to tell? The pedal feels great now that it's nice and bled, with no grinding.

Any ideas on what was causing the master cylinder failure versus other clutch brands? Was ZZP made aware of any of these possible issues?
That type of master cylinder failure would not be due to any specific clutch.

It's interesting though that we have had several inquiries about clutches from KY clutch customers who report incorrect pedal height with their KY clutch and now we have a KY clutch rep claiming that he has had issues with ZZP clutches.

We don't have any issues with our clutches when we install them here. Outside of that, I would not be able to comment unless I got involved with the individual case to see what happened.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor

So basically a adjustable clutch rod shouldn't be adjusted so much? Why have a adjustable.clutch rod.. I get the reason for one. But if it shouldnt be adjusted so much, you guys should have made it not to. so it is a part failure.
If the clutch hydraulics has air in the system and you try to compensate by extending the adjustable rod way too far, I could see the master cylinder failing.

You can turn a boost controller up way past where it should be set. You can adjust the timing on a distributer equipped car to places where it has no business being set. You can enter numbers in your HP Tuner tune file that will damage motors. You can put 120psi of air in your tires. You can try to tighten your T-bolt clamps to 100 ft lbs. You can adjust your rear-view mirror to where you can't see anything. You can adjust camber plates to where the car is unsafe to drive. You can aim your headlights incorrectly. You can set adjustable cam gears to where your engine overheats and performs terribly. You can gap your spark plugs to where your car won't run. Do I need to come up with more, or do you get it? Seriously, this is an advanced mod that allows you to make decisions. You need to be held responsible for the decisions that you make.

And the csrs that came to me with the adjustable rods were done by zzp.
No, they weren't. You repeatedly claim that you work on all these ZZP cars all the time. Over and over you spend day after day fixing work that zzp did. You specified one time and said that you had to fix a whole bunch of my tunes. When I asked you to PM me with the name of ONE of these customers who's tune you fixed, I received nothing from you. I'm calling you out on this one as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Banned

Ky clutch rep? First off , I've delt with south bend clutches (you just vend them). And sorry to say but they need work... Ky clutch pedal height varies with master and slave health, which you should know..

Funny thing is id never have a southbend.clutch in my car just because of what I seen so far of them.... People come to me.because of issues with there zzp/ aka southbend clutches.... And I install the ky clutch and they are much happier... And the only person who i can remember who had issues with ky clutches cluth was due to improper install on the owners part....

Not only is the ky clutch much cheaper then your clutches, but ky clutch offers a substantial warranty and also has had alot of money, time, and sweat in testing ... (Meaning Chris at ky clutch and his fellow employees and myself). We have developed a clutch that has little to no peddle pressure depending on clutch stage..
Old 03-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Banned

Calling me out huh....

Eric hunts tune, you guys told him to add one gallon of 100 octane to a tank of premium fuel to compensate for his meth controller that you guys messed up
.. so he asks.me for help and what do i notice. Kr every single place in top end. i fixed your tune here.... Another tune is a guy named justin, speratic idle. Kr everywhere, shitty wot fueling.. tune fixed it. And he had a zzp clutch that failed which was a pressure plate that was seized to the friction disc. And he also had a zzpl clutch rod that messed.the.master up which I had.to replace........I can name a few.more......

So you gonna report me Matt, it seems that its your specialty.......

You can turn a boost controller up way past where it should be set. You can adjust the timing on a distributer equipped car to places where it has no business being set. You can enter numbers in your HP Tuner tune file that will damage motors. You can put 120psi of air in your tires. You can try to tighten your T-bolt clamps to 100 ft lbs. You can adjust your rear-view mirror to where you can't see anything. You can adjust camber plates to where the car is unsafe to drive. You can aim your headlights incorrectly. You can set adjustable cam gears to where your engine overheats and performs terribly. You can gap your spark plugs to where your car won't run. Do I need to come up with more, or do you get it? Seriously, this is an advanced mod that allows you to make decisions. You need to be held responsible for the decisions that you make.

No, they weren't. You repeatedly claim that you work on all these ZZP cars all the time. Over and over you spend day after day fixing work that zzp did. You specified one time and said that you had to fix a whole bunch of my tunes. When I asked you to PM me with the name of ONE of these customers who's tune you fixed, I received nothing from you. I'm calling you out on this one as well.[/QUOTE]

Calling me out huh....

Eric hunts tune, you guys told him to add one gallon of 100 octane to a tank of premium fuel to compensate for his meth controller that you guys messed up
.. so he asks.me for help and what do i notice. Kr every single place in top end. i fixed your tune here.... Another tune is a guy named justin, speratic idle. Kr everywhere, shitty wot fueling.. tune fixed it. And he had a zzp clutch that failed which was a pressure plate that was seized to the friction disc. And he also had a zzpl clutch rod that messed.the.master up which I had.to replace........I can name a few more...

No, they weren't. You repeatedly claim that you work on all these ZZP cars all the time. Over and over you spend day after day fixing work that zzp did. You specified one time and said that you had to fix a whole bunch of my tunes. When I asked you to PM me with the name of ONE of these customers who's tune you fixed, I received nothing from you. I'm calling you out on this one as well.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Chevycobaltss3; 03-14-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2012, 02:17 PM

Why. THE ****. Do these threads ALWAYS end up like this?!?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Ask Mr Matt there, I was in this thread helping out op...
Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still looks an automerge dbl post
Old 03-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
well I enjoyed reading this thread. Its a good thread I hope it doesnt get locked and moved...
Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM
Banned

Sorry guys, ill stop..
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM

ugh...

**** you, you're cool.mpg - YouTube
Old 03-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Former Vendor

Calling me out huh....

.. so he asks.me for help and what do i notice. Kr every single place in top end. i fixed your tune here.... Another tune is a guy named justin, speratic idle. Kr everywhere, shitty wot fueling.. tune fixed it. And he had a zzp clutch that failed which was a pressure plate that was seized to the friction disc. And he also had a zzpl clutch rod that messed.the.master up which I had.to replace........I can name a few.more......

So you gonna report me Matt, it seems that its your specialty.......

1. Eric Hunt does not own an LNF.
2. Eric's meth pump was hooked up backwards when his car arrived here. Yes, the install was messed up, but not here. We found the issue and corrected it. He emailed us a while later and said-
Hey Tim last night I was driving the car and I'm assuming the meth kept spraying into the block because the car was running a 10.0 a/f while driving I pulled into a parking lot to see what had happened and the car idled and shut off. I went to go look in the back to see if there was something wrong and there was the pump kept running even with the car off. I had to have it towed home i don't know what to do.
We did not sell him the meth kit, or install it, but somehow you find it reasonable to say that zzp is at fault for that part failure.
3. I doubt that this Justin guy has an LNF, either.
4. If his disk stuck to the plate, it sounds to me like he runs a South Bend clutch, not a ZZP clutch. We don't run the same disk, for that very reason.

Anything else? You failed to provide anything to back up your statements, as usual.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Banned

Lol........ It makes me want to go watch it now.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm too JDM for you

james, it's funny how every single thread involving zzp you badmouth them in one way or another. must just be a coincidence huh?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Banned

[First thing is he does own a lnf. and I never said it was a lnf. you have some quick assumptions there guy.. second off All I did was.log him and get.rid of his kr by taking timing out and making trims.correct.. third, Justin has a lsj (does it matter lol) and it was a.zzp clutch....Justin smith to be exact.....
On eric hunts Meth kit ( he himself said you guys did somthing to the controler snd messed it up) ... Anyways matt, you want me to come to this so called.zzp meet thing. But yet you just wanna argue, not a good start there buddy..
Honestly ...QUOTE=Matt M;6394569]1. Eric Hunt does not own an LNF.
2. Eric's meth pump was hooked up backwards when his car arrived here. Yes, the install was messed up, but not here. We found the issue and corrected it. He emailed us a while later and said-
Hey Tim last night I was driving the car and I'm assuming the meth kept spraying into the block because the car was running a 10.0 a/f while driving I pulled into a parking lot to see what had happened and the car idled and shut off. I went to go look in the back to see if there was something wrong and there was the pump kept running even with the car off. I had to have it towed home i don't know what to do.
We did not sell him the meth kit, or install it, but somehow you find it reasonable to say that zzp is at fault for that part failure.
3. I doubt that this Justin guy has an LNF, either.
4. If his disk stuck to the plate, it sounds to me like he runs a South Bend clutch, not a ZZP clutch. We don't run the same disk, for that very reason.

Anything else? You failed to provide anything to back up your statements, as usual.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Story of a ZZP Engine Swap