08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion Discuss the 2008 - 2009 Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged. On sale since the second quarter of 2008.

who makes wheels that clear the brembos

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mal - nice setup!!! I think those rims look very good.

I would like that setup too. BTW, are you getting any codes (CEL) without the TPMS?

Thanks,
Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plenty of clearance
Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zerort
Hey Mal - nice setup!!! I think those rims look very good.

I would like that setup too. BTW, are you getting any codes (CEL) without the TPMS?

Thanks,
2x the above, would also like to know the same thing.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks! The light comes on, but that doesn't bug me too much. How would I know if there are any "codes" thrown? A couple of chimes on startup, then the light stays on as a warning. No big deal for me. Keep in mind that "plenty of clearance" is with those small 3mm spacers. You can see a pic of them in my web album. Without the spacers, there's about 1mm of clearance, which is too close for me.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MapOfTaziFoSho
Needs more cheap wheel for winter...
+1 Anybody know of any steelies that will fit hahaha..........seriously haha. I know theres 17"steelies on cars like the Saturn Aura and maybe the new Malibu i think. However, I cant find any other measurements on them so I dont know if theyd even come close to clearling the brembos.

Last edited by 80vetteL82; 10-17-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Hey, don't know if this would help you guys, but do the stock SS/SC 18" rims fit your TC models?? I used my stock 18" rims on my 2006 SS/SC with snow tires. I found a set of used snow tires on Ebay, in 18" size. They came off a Porsche. I think I have seen them before on tirerack.com. They were the same brand as came stock on the SC's, Pirellis. They are actually a real nice tire, and grip better than my stock summer tires. There is a winter snow tire tread pattern, but still a real nice performane ride. They were a little expensive, but you could probably find stock 18" rims for less than $400. It would not matter if your winter rims had a little curb rash already, right? Should be able to find them cheap. Hope that helps.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by stangthang
Hey, don't know if this would help you guys, but do the stock SS/SC 18" rims fit your TC models?? I used my stock 18" rims on my 2006 SS/SC with snow tires. I found a set of used snow tires on Ebay, in 18" size. They came off a Porsche. I think I have seen them before on tirerack.com. They were the same brand as came stock on the SC's, Pirellis. They are actually a real nice tire, and grip better than my stock summer tires. There is a winter snow tire tread pattern, but still a real nice performane ride. They were a little expensive, but you could probably find stock 18" rims for less than $400. It would not matter if your winter rims had a little curb rash already, right? Should be able to find them cheap. Hope that helps.
the ss/sc rims do not fit over the brembos
Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 AM

hmm...well, there goes that idea....you guys could still use the idea of the 18" Pirelli snowsport tires..... There are not many snowtires made in 18", mostly 16", some 17".....

Why is is the stock SC rims don't fit?? Is the off-set different?? The rim width??...I guess I figured if the sctock TC rims fit the SC model......????
Old 10-19-2008, 05:29 AM

I guess I figured if the sctock TC rims fit the SC model......????
................that has yet to be tested
Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 PM

This shouldnt be as hard as it is. Although I will be driving my mazda, I would like to think worst case, I could pull the balt out into the white stuff should times warrant it. I called around to several places. I called dealerships too and no one knows anything, even if you give em a VIN. One shop guy I spoke to was "You give me the vin, and I can tell you, the vin lets us know everything you need to know about that car, including tire and rims"... Then he called back 5 min later to say "Sorry I have no idea, my system doesnt tell me anything..." lol F'kin GM
Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 PM

hmm...well, there goes that idea....you guys could still use the idea of the 18" Pirelli snowsport tires..... There are not many snowtires made in 18", mostly 16", some 17".....

Why is is the stock SC rims don't fit?? Is the off-set different?? The rim width??...I guess I figured if the sctock TC rims fit the SC model......????
The brake calipers on the TC hit the spokes of the SC wheels. The calipers are just that big. If you use spacers with the SC wheels, they'll clear the calipers, but it's still really close.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:20 PM

What size spacer though? Thats another question that varies. I can live with 3mm due to the fact I "should" be able to hub center the wheel. Even still I would want to use the same spacer in the back, and some say dont? I mean, what so good about having you're front wheels out farther than the rear wheels? Some wheel places are stating 20mm spacer may be needed. Thats terrible.

Interesting, I wonder how this is all going to pan out for us TC owners. One thing I do know, the market is wide open for a wheel manufacturer to offer a winter tire / rim solution for the 08 - 09 TC
Old 10-19-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS
What size spacer though? Thats another question that varies. I can live with 3mm due to the fact I "should" be able to hub center the wheel. Even still I would want to use the same spacer in the back, and some say dont? I mean, what so good about having you're front wheels out farther than the rear wheels? Some wheel places are stating 20mm spacer may be needed. Thats terrible.

Interesting, I wonder how this is all going to pan out for us TC owners. One thing I do know, the market is wide open for a wheel manufacturer to offer a winter tire / rim solution for the 08 - 09 TC
Stop being a ***** and start test fitting some wheels!

And that goes for everyone in this thread. I am sick of reading all these complaints You guys have the lug pattern and offset...try test fitting and stop whining.

Also, why would you want to run a spacer in the back? What logical reason is there to run one?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:35 PM

ok I'll ask a neb question what do wheel spacers look like( anyone have a pic?), and what additional wear and tear if any is involved if I find a set of sc rims and wanted to put them on the tc for the winter?
Old 10-19-2008, 04:54 PM

get a truck.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:11 PM

And that goes for everyone in this thread. I am sick of reading all these complaints You guys have the lug pattern and offset...try test fitting and stop whining.

Also, why would you want to run a spacer in the back? What logical reason is there to run one?
i think personally i'm going to just bite the bullet and do the 3mm spacer and go after some 2.4L rims or even some used cheep sc rims
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1WhiteSSTC
i think personally i'm going to just bite the bullet and do the 3mm spacer and go after some 2.4L rims or even some used cheep sc rims
I'm under the impression that you need more than a 3mm spacer with the SC wheels. Quite a bit more. At that point you can no longer hub center your wheel. That's why I went with the 3mms spacers and BSA wheels as I detailed in this thread. Stick with wheels that work with 3mm spacers or you may end up with a wobbly ride. Maybe I'm wrong about 3mm spacers working with the SC wheels....

Mal.

The photos I posted in this thread prove that 17 inch wheels fit fine, with plenty of clearance. That opens up a lot of winter tire options, at more reasonable prices too. The offset/brembo problem still exists though, but I found at least 1 set that fits with a small 3mm spacers (the only size I would consider using since I still want to hub center the wheel).

Mal.

Last edited by malachii; 10-19-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Who's saying I havent? Tried 2 different sets of 17 steelies and one set of 17 konigs that didnt fit with a 12 mm spacer and I wasnt going any higher than that. The ones out there getting close seem to be down to 3mm and the point I was making was that I am ok with that. As far as only using spacer in the front, just making a statement it doesnt make much sense to me.

Dont ASSume so much, you won't be as upset when you read chat forums
Old 10-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Who's saying I havent? Tried 2 different sets of 17 steelies and one set of 17 konigs that didnt fit with a 12 mm spacer and I wasnt going any higher than that. The ones out there getting close seem to be down to 3mm and the point I was making was that I am ok with that. As far as only using spacer in the front, just making a statement it doesnt make much sense to me.

Yeah 3mm worked for me with the BSA wheels 17" wheels. The tire shop I used (Steelcase in Markham, ON) told me that for Brembos it's common to use 3mm spacers in the front for several cars that have them, and they usually only do the spacers in the front. They didn't think it was worth putting spacers on the rear given the 3mm spacer's tiny size. I guess I'll find out!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:26 AM

Which 17" steelies did you try? Pics?

Also, why would I run a spacer in the rear if I have no clearance issues?

And stop being such a pansy. Ass!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM

Hahaha, quit youre whining ass-jack ! I was making a collective statment that none of the 2 steelies OR konigs fit, so pics are pointless unless you like to see what a rim looks like that doesnt fit.... When/If I find a solution other than storing my car for the winter I will be sure to post all the details.

Also, why would I run a spacer in the rear if I have no clearance issues?
With a 3mm spacer I wouldnt be concerned but having my front wheels sticking out 20 - 30 mm more than my rear does.

Last edited by SuperchargedSS; 10-20-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 PM

the tenzo type-m's fit the ss/tc the only prob that tenzo is having rite now center cap clerance.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:10 PM

Apparently a local tire and rim guy here has fit two TC's with a 17 inch steelie.... hmmmm this may be pic worthy. He quoted me 1280 for rims tires installed + tax... I will post back if this works. He asked "Is that the model with the Brembo's?" so I am encouraged.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:12 PM

Hahaha, quit youre whining ass-jack ! I was making a collective statment that none of the 2 steelies OR konigs fit, so pics are pointless unless you like to see what a rim looks like that doesnt fit.... When/If I find a solution other than storing my car for the winter I will be sure to post all the details.

With a 3mm spacer I wouldnt be concerned but having my front wheels sticking out 20 - 30 mm more than my rear does.

The pic was actually so I can reference what you tried. I have yet to try the 17" steelies off my co-worker's 2008 Saturn Aura, but these wheels hold promise...
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM

Yes they do. I "just" found out there is a 17" steelie that will cover the brembo's. As soon as I encouter this magical rim, I will be sure to post a pic and contact info. I just want to verify this info first.

Quick Reply: who makes wheels that clear the brembos