2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

LHU/LDK can't hold same or more than LNF

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz
I'm sorry, I was wrong. It wasn't ONLY the tune, stupidity had a huge part in it too.

Quote from the owner of the car...

Are you people insane? Here's what happened. You broke a piston by overheating the rings and breaking a ring land. You then proceeded to keep driving it and doing "Highway pulls". That fractured piston could not handle that and came apart. Broken piston pieces don't compress very easily so the rod also exploded and destroyed everything else.

All you had to do was STOP DRIVING IT when it was belching smoke and all you would be doing right now is throwing some pistons in it.

Really? This is a big mystery? Horrible vendor+bad parts+horrible tune+stupidity=shrapnel. This stuff is utterly amazing to me.

Edit-

Wait a minute. I just re-read the owners post about what happened. He picks up the car from ZZP and it's smoking on the way home? Holy cr@p, they did a dyno run didn't they? ZZP BROKE THAT ENGINE ON THE DYNO!!!!!!!!!!! They pushed it too far on a cr@ppy tune and cracked the piston. That was why it was smoking on his way home from ZZP. Again, the cracked piston finally failed catastrophically after "a couple highway pulls".

I wasn't there, but the way it's described, it sure looks like ZZP broke this motor on the dyno and just let the guy pick it up and drive it home. Holy f'ing cr@p! Tell me I'm wrong in my reading of this guys. Sure seems to me it's pretty simple to understand what happened. No wonder they didn't give him any dyno sheets!!! Infriggincredible.

Anyone wanna guess how long it takes for me to get banned by simply stating the obvious here? lolz.
Best post in this thread
Old 07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by taintedred07
Best post in this thread
Well it might be if any of it was true.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M
Well it might be if any of it was true.
^ best post in this thread
Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
^ best post in this thread
Damn you nuthug HARD dude

We know you spent a **** ton of money at ZZP and therefor are their best friends. but you have to stop jumping on their **** anytime they get some heat.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
:popcorn:
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Lol

I stand by ZZP, no doubt. But gmtech CLEARLY pointed out the circumstances with the car that needed to be addressed - all according to the op's original post! I understand gmtech has had a grudge or whatever he has against ZZP over the years. But it's not like he made up this story, he was just confirming what the op said and pointing out what should've been done ect. Yes it is his opinion, but don't be ignorant, we are all entitled to our own opinion.

ZZP has been a pioneer for the ecotec community, but that doesn't mean they are a perfect company that never makes mistakes ect. Ofcoure there are always two sides of every story, but it seems if anyone has a serious issue with, for example ZZP, that it is never the shop's fault or responsibility. Can the mechanical and tune issues be argued? Sure, but the vendor should at least have some sort of responsibility with a situation of this magnitude.

IMO, based on the op's recollection, I agree with gmtechs comments about the possibility of the motor breaking a ring land on the dyno ect, although I do not agree with the ridiculous accusations of ZZP's products or as a company in a whole. Also, again based on the op's testimony, on receiving the car in the smoking condition, lack of knowledge of the tune and/or dyno sheets, and advice on to just "drive the damn car", clearly shouldn't be overlooked and is unacceptable.

I said "best post on here" because gmtech seemed to be the only individual to bring to light the circumstances that happened with the car from ZZP in a common sense point of view - again, all according to the op's statement, not gmtech's imagination.

With that being said, the insults and ridicule that gmtech persistently throws at ZZP - I do not agree with.

There's my explanation for my previous post, I just didn't feel like texting this all out on my phone earlier.

Last edited by taintedred07; 07-29-2014 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by leemanfor

Damn you nuthug HARD dude

We know you spent a **** ton of money at ZZP and therefor are their best friends. but you have to stop jumping on their **** anytime they get some heat.
if you say so man. No sense in arguing or name calling.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So from the PM's I've gotten and the post above by taintedred07, it appears that there are some people on here that can look at things objectively. Unlike members like tomj77 that just want to spew retarded, ignorant comments to get their post count to 10k because that's somehow cool.

This is the reason I pop into these forums from time to time...

It's YOU GUYS. I don't have it "out" for ANY vendor, I don't have any "vendettas" against anyone. I actually feel for the MEMBERS of these forums. We are a community. The only way a community survives is to stick together and watch out for each other. If the "nuthuggers" make it so everyone else is scared to talk about their negative experiences, then NOBODY learns. I get emails and PM's all day long from guys that have been screwed by vendors, not just ZZP. Not a single one of those guys will ever post their stories online because they're either too nice or just don't want to waste their time. Here's an example of one going on right now...

I was banned from the Kappa Performance forum for calling out Performance Autowerks on an OUTRIGHT LIE they told about another vendor's product. The claim, told by the owner Dave Gilbert, was clearly shown to be untrue even by the owner of the other company involved. He slandered another vendor simply because that vendor refused to do business with Werks anymore. They refused because Werks wouldn't pay for the parts he ordered and received. Since Dave is a friend of the owner of the KP forum, he asked that forum owner to ban me and he did. No violations, no warning, no reason given and not even an indication that it had been done. I just went to log in one day and it said I was banned. Many members there cried foul and wanted to know the reason I was banned. Every post asking just that was deleted by the forum owner. I later found out it was because a vendor wanted me shut up.

Here's one of the results of my, or anyone else's voice being shut up... A fellow Solstice/Sky forum member asks for advice in the forums about doing a V8 swap. Of course nobody is gonna say anything bad about Werks for fear of being banned, so this poor unsuspecting guy has no idea what he's getting into. He spends almost $40 GRAND with Werks. He now has a car with a list of issues. It overheats, it's too loud, the traction control he paid for doesn't work, the 1k hp axles they sold him were really only the cheaper 600hp ones, and I guess they aren't in the car yet anyway! He called the vendor of the axles and guess what? The story Dave told the customer was totally BS. The axle vendor had to set the car owner straight because everything Dave told him about the axles was a lie. He soaked the guy for another $600 or so for the crappy LS2edit software and cable so the guy could get it to pass smog. Basically this guy has been bent over and reamed to the tune of ~$40k. Really?

You guys want another example, here you go...

Can you guys do me a little favor?

Take a look through that and you'll see what one of your beloved vendors is selling as far as "tuning". Criminal. I have not and will not name the vendor.

THIS is why I post what I do. You guys can call me all the names in the book you want. There's only one person that it's hurting, YOU. If you want to stay ignorant, there's nothing I can do about that. If you want to know the truth, open your eyes and ears. Stop attacking and start listening. You might learn something that could save you $40k someday.

My advice to the owner of the Regal with the blown motor...
Take ZZP to court. Have records and receipts from ALL the work, including the tow bills. You have a strong case and the consumer almost always wins against the shop. They screwed up, on several points. You should get some, if not all of your money back for the trouble they have caused you. This "Pay to Play" comment everyone always spouts out is ridiculous. Of course you have to pay to play, but there is NO REASON to pay for incompetence or shoddy workmanship or simply a shop experimenting with your car. If nothing else, the clutch work sounds like they used your car as a test bed for what doesn't work. Really? That's ok with you guys?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM

So from the PM's I've gotten and the post above by taintedred07, it appears that there are some people on here that can look at things objectively. Unlike members like tomj77 that just want to spew retarded, ignorant comments to get their post count to 10k because that's somehow cool.

It's YOU GUYS. I don't have it "out" for ANY vendor, I don't have any "vendettas" against anyone. I actually feel for the MEMBERS of these forums. We are a community. The only way a community survives is to stick together and watch out for each other. If the "nuthuggers" make it so everyone else is scared to talk about their negative experiences, then NOBODY learns. I get emails and PM's all day long from guys that have been screwed by vendors, not just ZZP. Not a single one of those guys will ever post their stories online because they're either too nice or just don't want to waste their time. Here's an example of one going on right now...

I was banned from the Kappa Performance forum for calling out Performance Autowerks on an OUTRIGHT LIE they told about another vendor's product. The claim, told by the owner Dave Gilbert, was clearly shown to be untrue even by the owner of the other company involved. He slandered another vendor simply because that vendor refused to do business with Werks anymore. They refused because Werks wouldn't pay for the parts he ordered and received. Since Dave is a friend of the owner of the KP forum, he asked that forum owner to ban me and he did. No violations, no warning, no reason given and not even an indication that it had been done. I just went to log in one day and it said I was banned. Many members there cried foul and wanted to know the reason I was banned. Every post asking just that was deleted by the forum owner. I later found out it was because a vendor wanted me shut up.

Here's one of the results of my, or anyone else's voice being shut up... A fellow Solstice/Sky forum member asks for advice in the forums about doing a V8 swap. Of course nobody is gonna say anything bad about Werks for fear of being banned, so this poor unsuspecting guy has no idea what he's getting into. He spends almost $40 GRAND with Werks. He now has a car with a list of issues. It overheats, it's too loud, the traction control he paid for doesn't work, the 1k hp axles they sold him were really only the cheaper 600hp ones, and I guess they aren't in the car yet anyway! He called the vendor of the axles and guess what? The story Dave told the customer was totally BS. The axle vendor had to set the car owner straight because everything Dave told him about the axles was a lie. He soaked the guy for another $600 or so for the crappy LS2edit software and cable so the guy could get it to pass smog. Basically this guy has been bent over and reamed to the tune of ~$40k. Really?

Take a look through that and you'll see what one of your beloved vendors is selling as far as "tuning". Criminal. I have not and will not name the vendor.

THIS is why I post what I do. You guys can call me all the names in the book you want. There's only one person that it's hurting, YOU. If you want to stay ignorant, there's nothing I can do about that. If you want to know the truth, open your eyes and ears. Stop attacking and start listening. You might learn something that could save you $40k someday.

Take ZZP to court. Have records and receipts from ALL the work, including the tow bills. You have a strong case and the consumer almost always wins against the shop. They screwed up, on several points. You should get some, if not all of your money back for the trouble they have caused you. This "Pay to Play" comment everyone always spouts out is ridiculous. Of course you have to pay to play, but there is NO REASON to pay for incompetence or shoddy workmanship or simply a shop experimenting with your car. If nothing else, the clutch work sounds like they used your car as a test bed for what doesn't work. Really? That's ok with you guys?
Well said. I think people(myself included) don't realize the politics sometimes involved with vendors/shops.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol

I stand by ZZP, no doubt. But gmtech CLEARLY pointed out the circumstances with the car that needed to be addressed - all according to the op's original post! I understand gmtech has had a grudge or whatever he has against ZZP over the years. But it's not like he made up this story, he was just confirming what the op said and pointing out what should've been done ect. Yes it is his opinion, but don't be ignorant, we are all entitled to our own opinion.

ZZP has been a pioneer for the ecotec community, but that doesn't mean they are a perfect company that never makes mistakes ect. Ofcoure there are always two sides of every story, but it seems if anyone has a serious issue with, for example ZZP, that it is never the shop's fault or responsibility. Can the mechanical and tune issues be argued? Sure, but the vendor should at least have some sort of responsibility with a situation of this magnitude.

IMO, based on the op's recollection, I agree with gmtechs comments about the possibility of the motor breaking a ring land on the dyno ect, although I do not agree with the ridiculous accusations of ZZP's products or as a company in a whole. Also, again based on the op's testimony, on receiving the car in the smoking condition, lack of knowledge of the tune and/or dyno sheets, and advice on to just "drive the damn car", clearly shouldn't be overlooked and is unacceptable.

I said "best post on here" because gmtech seemed to be the only individual to bring to light the circumstances that happened with the car from ZZP in a common sense point of view - again, all according to the op's statement, not gmtech's imagination.

With that being said, the insults and ridicule that gmtech persistently throws at ZZP - I do not agree with.

There's my explanation for my previous post, I just didn't feel like texting this all out on my phone earlier.
this is the best post i think......no one is perfect but for some reason the haters seem to think that a big company like ZZP NEEDS to be perfect. i like zzp, hahn, and powell, im diverse haha, no sides being taken here. much like you. however if youre dumping this kind of money into a car, you HAVE to have some type of common sense that if the car is smoking.......there is something wrong with the car....lol.

id ******* murder someone after spending that kind of money and still having issues.......

Well said. I think people(myself included) don't realize the politics sometimes involved with vendors/shops.
politics unfortunately play a big role in EVERYTHING! and its sad, esp in a forum.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Former Vendor

Lol

I understand your viewpoint on this based on the way John presented it. However, I can assure you that he tried his absolute hardest to make this look like ZZP's fault without any concern for the truth or where any responsibility actually lies. I will address some points here. First, the car was not smoking here. I did 6 dyno pulls in mid june, with the last pull posted a couple pages back. There was zero knock, a perfect AFR, and no smoke. Second, the customer contacted us a few days later asking about the possibility of smoke from the turbo and asked how long EFRs last. No one here said that smoke was normal or that there is no concern. My response was that some EFRs will last for 2 months and some will last for 6 years, just the same as any brand turbo we have ever run. Third, the customer contacted us mid July about engine failure. Yes, there was a clutch repair in between, but his car was not put on the dyno or beat on by anyone at zzp. This makes the whole "zzp broke it on the dyno" theory impossible. Fourth, this is a connecting rod failure. Regardless of whether the smoke was caused by the turbo or not, the engine failure was unrelated.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor

Wow, you really buy into his BS? He doesn't use this forum for anything except to attack ZZP when he sees the opportunity. Open your eyes.

For people that don't know- John (gmtech) is an intelligent guy for the most part. He's good with numbers and I would have no problem if he was the tech working on my car at the dealership. However, he has a serious God complex that doesn't allow him to associate with others in a natural manner. He has actually stated that he is always the smartest man in the room, that everyone in the Cobalt forum is dumb, etc... Where things went bad between John and ZZP- Some of our early neutral balance shafts had an issue. The manufacturer(not zzp) had problems with their lathe which was not known at the time. There were a few sets that failed in the bearings. John was willing to work with ZZP on this and we appreciated that. However, we found the problem with the lathe and understood exactly why the shafts had failed. John was talking to the owner of ZZP and had different theories. Zoom thanked him for his time, but stated that we had it under control. Now those of you that know John already know how this would pan out. John took it personal and has ever since hated ZZP. Of course things escalated after the fact because we always stand up for ourselves and don't let him spread his propaganda around any forums that we are involved in.

Last edited by Matt M; 07-30-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're speaking of John Powell ?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:34 AM

gmtech
Old 07-30-2014, 10:37 AM

Nice try Matt.

You should know I'm smart enough to have saved every piece of correspondence and details of phone conversations about that particular balance shaft issue. Do you really want me to post up all that information and make you look like the idiot liar that you are? What you just posted is FULL of lies that I can easily prove false by posting the documented facts. You can say whatever you want about me, but I don't make things up and I don't say anything I can't back up.

I'm done here. I hope that the owner of this car will take my advice and take you to court. Your handling of his entire experience with ZZP would be a joke in any court of law. If he takes you to court and shows any judge the facts of his ZZP experience, he will be getting most if not all of his money back.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor

Nice try Matt.

You should know I'm smart enough to have saved every piece of correspondence and details of phone conversations about that particular balance shaft issue. Do you really want me to post up all that information and make you look like the idiot liar that you are? What you just posted is FULL of lies that I can easily prove false by posting the documented facts. You can say whatever you want about me, but I don't make things up and I don't say anything I can't back up.

I'm done here. I hope that the owner of this car will take my advice and take you to court. Your handling of his entire experience with ZZP would be a joke in any court of law. If he takes you to court and shows any judge the facts of his ZZP experience, he will be getting most if not all of his money back.
You are right- I did leave out one detail. You did come back one time and asked me to sponsor you on your EFR project. I declined, and that must have been the last straw for you.

You saved your phone calls? Ok, sounds about right.

Anyhow, here is the scan from the last dyno pull I did on this car a month before the engine failed. I stand corrected on the timing. It peaked at 21, which is still not very aggressive on E85. If anyone sees anything reckless here, feel free to point it out. It all looks solid to me.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Former Vendor

Your handling of his entire experience with ZZP would be a joke in any court of law.
As if you have even the slightest clue how anything is being handled.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Haha, I followed that thread most of the way through and I pretty much agreed with your every point on that one. It still amazes me that the guy spent well over $30k for what should have been a beast of a car, and wound up with a never ending project . At the beginning of that guy's build, I was under the impression that Perf Autowerks had done so many V8 swaps that they had literally every kink worked out and it was a turn key deal. By the end I feel like it was one of their first. Now he's spending more money trying to figure out the cooling issue and he's trying to quiet the obnoxious exhaust. It was his DD and now the car is so unbearable he can't even DD it anymore. He should have just sold the dang solstice and bought a new C7 vette and been 1000x happier . On a side note, you should give me your step by step instructions on how to shoehorn a LSA into my Solstice

Sorry for the thread derail OP. Hopefully things work out for you. When I had ZZP work on my car I thought they did a great job.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by AaronJ
Sorry for the thread derail OP. Hopefully things work out for you. When I had ZZP work on my car I thought they did a great job.
Actually the Regal owner is not the OP. This whole thread is a hijack.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Banned

Windows xp? Comon now ZZP
Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually the Regal owner is not the OP. This whole thread is a hijack.
Haha, thanks for pointing that out. I never even noticed that.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by leemanfor
Windows xp? Comon now ZZP
xp is one of the best os there is from windows. windows 7 is better, but xp is great, there is no reason to laugh at that.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomj77
xp is one of the best os there is from windows. windows 7 is better, but xp is great, there is no reason to laugh at that.
Hell no its not. Windows 7 is miles better than XP ever was.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Was this not a wastegate failure of some kind? The tune could be fine. A couple of 35psi spikes would do a stock motor in no problem.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Wow, you really buy into his BS? He doesn't use this forum for anything except to attack ZZP when he sees the opportunity. Open your eyes.

For people that don't know- John (gmtech) is an intelligent guy for the most part. He's good with numbers and I would have no problem if he was the tech working on my car at the dealership. However, he has a serious God complex that doesn't allow him to associate with others in a natural manner. He has actually stated that he is always the smartest man in the room, that everyone in the Cobalt forum is dumb, etc... Where things went bad between John and ZZP- Some of our early neutral balance shafts had an issue. The manufacturer(not zzp) had problems with their lathe which was not known at the time. There were a few sets that failed in the bearings. John was willing to work with ZZP on this and we appreciated that. However, we found the problem with the lathe and understood exactly why the shafts had failed. John was talking to the owner of ZZP and had different theories. Zoom thanked him for his time, but stated that we had it under control. Now those of you that know John already know how this would pan out. John took it personal and has ever since hated ZZP. Of course things escalated after the fact because we always stand up for ourselves and don't let him spread his propaganda around any forums that we are involved in.

ya I know people like him, after what iv read I wouldn't even listen to anything else he has to say. that's not a God complex, God is nice, that's a someone wanting the job of God when its already taken complex. I figured this started from something stupid like u said, crap like this always starts when someone who ooooozes pride and arrogance gets a little offended. iv seen I many times. and that dude stinks of arrogance, its disgusting, and its to late to deny that, everyone sees it. lol

Gmtech ur bashing of zzp aint gonna fly here, we know the work they do, we have seen it, a lot of us have our cars modded with their parts or their tunes or even had them built by them. this is the first issue iv ever heard of. but **** does happen, and no one is gonna join ur vendetta because ur pride got butt hurt, or because u through out theories about how they messed up this guys engine when u don't even know all the facts. You seriously need to get over yourself.

Quick Reply: LHU/LDK can't hold same or more than LNF