2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

LHU/LDK can't hold same or more than LNF

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
interesting read. the gm tech seems like a bit of an ahole. but of course gm doesn't make any defective parts, so it must be something else. let me tell u just how big of aholes gm is mr gm tech. I had a ticking in my motor, and had it in to get it checked. gm regional service manager came to look. saw that one cam lobe was almost totally warn away, on the inside of the lobe, the outer edges were still there. found out I had a water meth kit on it a while back, said oh that's what caused it and voided my warranty. they can void it for that if they want, I had a part that should not be there to keep warranty, but to use that as the excuse that that's why my cam lobe wore away was total bs. any half assed mechanic could tell u that had nothing to do with it. truth is, I later realized I had put non 4718 royal purple oil in my car, and the ticking started a week after that and that is what caused the issue. did a lot of research and found a lot of people on other car forums had the same thing happen to them with that oil. non 4718 oil also according to the manual warranty voiding. now if the service manager would have told the truth instead of just finding an excuse to void my warranty id have respect for gm, but he lied, now everything u have to say, and the way u say it is meaningless. ya there were some mistakes made, was it the tune? maybe? was it the rod, also possible. don't go being a rude ahole and putting all blame like u guys always do off of you and onto someone else. its not like he wants warranty on it, he played, engine failed, now he will make the engine the way it should have been and stronger, and id let zzp do it any day of the week, cause mr gm tech who is new to the site, they know their ****, and they know it a hell of a lot better than you do. if it was the rods they would have gone eventually anyway. why the ringland cracked, who knows, could have been the force of the the rod exploding that cracked it? very possible.

zzp ftw. op zzp is great, id trust em with my car. but with anyone, id make sure im there when the tuning is being done to let em know what u want. its ur car, have them do it ur way next time. don't be a push over and let anyone including ur friends tell u to stuff like just drive the damn thing. if u feel something is wrong, listen to ur gut and get it checked right away. and definitely don't do pulls like that. hard lesson learned, my lesson was just as hard and painful on the wallet. and in the future. if ur dealing with one guy at zzp, don't accept dealing with any other guy, one guy knows what u want, only talk with him directly. it makes things easier, info doesn't get messed up, ull get better feed back.
just my 2 cents.

Last edited by tomj77; 07-26-2014 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cobaltss#01
I like that Matt chimed in because, until this I never heard anything like this happening and it makes me feel a lot better hearing his side.
Thanks. I'm not saying we didn't drop the ball here, though. If he emailed us about engine failure and didn't receive a response, then I can understand why he's upset. Unfortunately, we have had a lot of problems with email and communication in general over the last few months due to our move. Of course that is our problem and needs to be addressed so this sort of thing doesn't happen.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M
Kyle- I'm not sure why you wouldn't email me direct. I'm sure you noticed that every time you asked tech questions they were forwarded to me. This is the first I am hearing about most of your issues. As far as the clutch- you do realize we were prototyping and we never charged anything for any repairs as far as I know. Hopefully you can agree that you specifically asked for parts that we don't have available. Your cams for example are s3 because they have the largest fuel pump lobe. S2 and s3 cams have the same intake and exh lobes. The reason we called them a mix is because you don't need the offset phasers to spin past 7400 with the regal ECM. As far as the smoking- that is news to me. And the tune did not break your motor. You are running on e85 which has far more octane than pump gas, and you only have 18-19 degrees of timing. It is a conservative tune. This rod issue has actually been documented and it has been found that the rods are in fact weaker in the regal than in the cobalt.

More importantly- you seemed like a really good customer. I'm not sure how we ended up here. If someone didn't respond to you or you didn't like their answer, you can always escalate it within zzp and look for a resolution. Throwing us in the mosh pit and trash talking us won't help anyone.

Hella lolz here. Damn this site never fails to entertain and amaze me.

Matt, It is amazing to me that you've been doing this stuff as long as you have and you are still completely ignorant to what a "conservative" tune is. I suppose you think "KR" is what breaks ring lands? This engine was belching smoke DAYS BEFORE the rods broke. Why? Because it needed a "catch can" like your company suggested? Really? Are you guys that ignorant? Or are you that used to selling unneeded parts to unsuspecting people.

Stand back and think about this guys. The car was run on the dyno and put down 420whp (??? I'm going by what the owner said here.) No dyno sheets were given to the owner. No records were given to the customer of what the AFR or cylinder temps were when it was being flogged on the dyno trying to give ZZP those ever important peak numbers. The car smokes all the way home from ZZP. It smokes the next day. THEN he does a couple hard pulls and it blows up. Is this that difficult to understand?

BTW, this has NOTHING to do with GM or whether or not the rods were defective or not. THE RODS WERE NOT THE CAUSE OF THIS ENGINE FAILURE THEY WERE THE RESULT.
I've worked for GM for over 30 years. I don't need some ******* cobalt kid to tell me what GM is all about. Lol.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz

Matt, It is amazing to me that you've been doing this stuff as long as you have and you are still completely ignorant to what a "conservative" tune is. I suppose you think "KR" is what breaks ring lands? This engine was belching smoke DAYS BEFORE the rods broke. Why? Because it needed a "catch can" like your company suggested? Really? Are you guys that ignorant? Or are you that used to selling unneeded parts to unsuspecting people.

Stand back and think about this guys. The car was run on the dyno and put down 420whp (??? I'm going by what the owner said here.) No dyno sheets were given to the owner. No records were given to the customer of what the AFR or cylinder temps were when it was being flogged on the dyno trying to give ZZP those ever important peak numbers. The car smokes all the way home from ZZP. It smokes the next day. THEN he does a couple hard pulls and it blows up. Is this that difficult to understand?

BTW, this has NOTHING to do with GM or whether or not the rods were defective or not. THE RODS WERE NOT THE CAUSE OF THIS ENGINE FAILURE THEY WERE THE RESULT.
I've worked for GM for over 30 years. I don't need some ******* cobalt kid to tell me what GM is all about. Lol.
Currently they are about recalls, just saying
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

You realize this car made the power last year and has been running for quite some time under constant abuse from the owner of the car, right? The owner did get a dyno sheet as well.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

you only have 18-19 degrees of timing. It is a conservative tune.

really? do u know anything about e85. guys run up to 25 degrees of timing on e85, so yes 19 us conservative. u come here calling everyone a dumb ass and zzp knows nothing and u don't realize there people have tuned and built cobalts for many years and have tuned and built some of the fastest ecotec cars around, that are still running well for years. btw what exactly do u do at gm? Please do us a favor and get lost, ur giving gm a worse name than it already has. 1
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
You realize this car made the power last year and has been running for quite some time under constant abuse from the owner of the car, right? The owner did get a dyno sheet as well.
really? why is it a surprise that it blew then lol
Old 07-26-2014, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
you only have 18-19 degrees of timing. It is a conservative tune.

really? do u know anything about e85. guys run up to 25 degrees of timing on e85, so yes 19 us conservative. u come here calling everyone a dumb ass and zzp knows nothing and u don't realize there people have tuned and built cobalts for many years and have tuned and built some of the fastest ecotec cars around, that are still running well for years. btw what exactly do u do at gm? Please do us a favor and get lost, ur giving gm a worse name than it already has. 1

What is this "e85" you speak of? I'm new here so I don't understand some of what you guys are saying.

I'm a lot boy at GM, but some day I'm hoping to be a salesman.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

What is this "e85" you speak of? I'm new here so I don't understand some of what you guys are saying.

e85 is flex fuel, 85% ethanol 15 % gas. its 105 + octane which lets ur run a lot more timing than just gas. if u don't even know what e85 is, why are u even commenting on the tune? or are u just bsing
Old 07-26-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 839 Likes on 736 Posts

Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
e85 is flex fuel, 85% ethanol 15 % gas. its 105 + octane which lets ur run a lot more timing than just gas. if u don't even know what e85 is, why are u even commenting on the tune? or are u just bsing
He's just pulling your leg....
Old 07-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
There are always some relevant details being left out for every blown engine threads.
Every time someone double/triple the hp that the car was designed, they should know it will not be as reliable as oem, just saying.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Again, I'm amazed at the ignorance. Are you the voice of this forum? With 7500 posts you obviously hang out here too much.

E85 IS NOT "Flex Fuel". Flex Fuel is a name the car makers gave their vehicles that would run on straight gasoline AND any blend of Ethanol up to E85. A "Flex Fuel" vehicle can run on E67. Does that mean E67 is "Flex Fuel"? No. It means it's a blend of gasoline and ethanol. Google search "what does flex fuel mean" and maybe you'll learn something.

While you're google searching, why don't you type in my screen name and spend a couple minutes figuring out who I am before making retarded assumptions about someone you know nothing about. That's called being ignorant. Here, I'll give you a link to just one of the forums I've contributed to since forums were called "newsgroups", probably when you were still in diapers.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...s.com&safe=off

There's 11 google search pages of my posts on that one forum. Do a quick search on the threads I've created, I might have figured out a thing or two about Ethanol. Actually, I was the one that TAUGHT most of these vendors and tuners about tuning LNF's. (Except for ZZP, they're too stupid to learn.)
Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Again, reading comprehension fail. Thank you two for being the face of this forum. Blind ignorance and not comprehending the words somebody puts in a post.

Go back and re-read the owners description of what happened. He JUST had MAJOR work done at ZZP. They did head work so he could rev to 7500rpm. They ran the car on the dyno after they did the headwork. After the car was dyno'd, the owner picked up the car and it smoked all the way home and the next day too. The owner stated that he DID NOT get any dyno sheets from those runs. Hey ZZP, why don't you post up those sheets? Show us how that engine was running the DAY BEFORE it blew up.

The owner stated that ZZP said they dyno'd it. He also stated he didn't receive any dyno sheets. They told him it made the same power on less boost, but he left with more boost so he figured it was making more power than it had been for the last year(?)? at the least, the headwork they did and the fact ZZP is all about peak numbers would clearly tell me they were pushing that motor pretty hard on the dyno, harder than he'd been pushing it on the street.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^
You really do enjoy coming here just to tell everyone that they have no idea what they're talking about dont you.
Are you related to that james rakes guy?
You two seem to act the same way.
Your a real smart guy but noone with half a brain will respect you or your opinion with that attitude.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Again, I'm amazed at the ignorance. Are you the voice of this forum? With 7500 posts you obviously hang out here too much.

E85 IS NOT "Flex Fuel". Flex Fuel is a name the car makers gave their vehicles that would run on straight gasoline AND any blend of Ethanol up to E85. A "Flex Fuel" vehicle can run on E67. Does that mean E67 is "Flex Fuel"? No. It means it's a blend of gasoline and ethanol. Google search "what does flex fuel mean" and maybe you'll learn something.

While you're google searching, why don't you type in my screen name and spend a couple minutes figuring out who I am before making retarded assumptions about someone you know nothing about. That's called being ignorant. Here, I'll give you a link to just one of the forums I've contributed to since forums were called "newsgroups", probably when you were still in diapers.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...s.com&safe=off

There's 11 google search pages of my posts on that one forum. Do a quick search on the threads I've created, I might have figured out a thing or two about Ethanol. Actually, I was the one that TAUGHT most of these vendors and tuners about tuning LNF's. (Except for ZZP, they're too stupid to learn.)
Well no ****. Ur a fricken retard . And a complete *******
Old 07-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Abuse? I put maybe 5k miles on my car since the work (first upgrade). I like how you speak for me; ryan, like you have ridden shotgun. Do I beat on my car occasionally and do some back to back pulls? Sure, but I do not abuse it, there is a difference. I have one dyno sheet from ZZP from last year. It has since been on the dyno three other times with no up to date sheet. But you would know this from talking to other people that have no clue, right?
really? why is it a surprise that it blew then lol
I don't care that it blew, all you guys are doing is speculating that because I "abuse" my car for 5k miles it was my driving style that grenaded it? My sincere question is IF that is the case, why was I not told about this when it went on the dyno and drivin' for 3 days? It had to be obvious there was in issue that over a week later I was informed about the smell.

IMO this whole thing is gay as hell and needs to be closed. OP put up my motor you guys all had opinions and I gave you the true story of my specific block. Why start a flame war, I'm not bashing ZZP, I don't care that I didn't get a dyno sheet, It would have meant nothing to me anyway. Live and learn.

Last edited by Mxman38; 07-26-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Mxman38

Abuse? I put maybe 5k miles on my car since the work. I like how you speak for me though, like you have ridden shotgun. Do I beat on my car occasionally and do some back to back pulls? Sure, but I do not abuse it, there is a difference. I have one dyno sheet from ZZP from last year. It has since been on the dyno three other times with no up to date sheet. But you would know
Kyle, you beat the **** out of the car dude lol. I wasnt speaking for you at all, i am just aware of how you treat your car though. From your own mouth "I give the car hell but so far it still runs" Back to back to back pulls is what I would consider abuse. No cool off time at all, and i was speaking of your initial dyno sheet that I saw in your hands lol. I spoke of what I know. No need to get all butthurt. :-)
Old 07-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey ZZP, why don't you post up those sheets?
Ok. We have nothing to hide.

Here is a sheet from last fall after we installed our IC. The Wideband was set at 11:1 stoich to match his percentage of ethanol at the time.

Here is a sheet from June. Stoich was set for gas, so it looks like a different afr than the other chart, but they are almost exactly the same lambda.

I can post the logs, too, but I don't have my laptop here right now.
I don't know where GMtech got the idea that his motor failed the day after we did headwork. We never did any head work on this car. We installed cams back in mid June.

Last edited by Matt M; 07-26-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so at the end of the day, its the rods that couldnt handle the power? thought the lhu/ldk was good for 500? but it broke at 420?
Old 07-26-2014, 10:20 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
wow so much attitude- GM tech, i hear what you are trying to say, but as others have said, you might try and tone it down. Sorry to hear about the regal, and sometimes thats the price we pay for playing. Sounded like the op was ok with it. ZZP is one one of the few that make stuff for our discontinued cars, and i have had good luck with them. IF i ever blow mine up, it will be my own fault, no matter who works on it, cause it was made for 260 hp, not 350 or even 450 on the motor like the op had. The price you pay to play.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LNFTX
^
You really do enjoy coming here just to tell everyone that they have no idea what they're talking about dont you.
Are you related to that james rakes guy?
You two seem to act the same way.
Your a real smart guy but noone with half a brain will respect you or your opinion with that attitude.
i bet it is james hahaha, ******* clown

Originally Posted by kzak104
so at the end of the day, its the rods that couldnt handle the power? thought the lhu/ldk was good for 500? but it broke at 420?
i have a feeling those three rods that snapped were probably tuned by the same person instead of "three different" tuners as the OP says.....hence why they are not being named.

what im realy curious about gmtech blah blah blahs claims are.....if your car was smoking as you picked it up from zzp........then why the **** would you pick it up instead of make them fix it? you cant possibly be that stupid......at least i hope not.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Matt M
Ok. We have nothing to hide.

Here is a sheet from last fall after we installed our IC. The Wideband was set at 11:1 stoich to match his percentage of ethanol at the time.

Here is a sheet from June. Stoich was set for gas, so it looks like a different afr than the other chart, but they are almost exactly the same lambda.

I can post the logs, too, but I don't have my laptop here right now.
I don't know where GMtech got the idea that his motor failed the day after we did headwork. We never did any head work on this car. We installed cams back in mid June.
Matt don't even bother with that clown. Not worth it.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This gmtech douche sounds like the king asshat of car forums.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM

i have a feeling those three rods that snapped were probably tuned by the same person instead of "three different" tuners as the OP says.....hence why they are not being named.
They were tuned by three different tuners, that's a fact !
Since don't have details on each calibration map don't want to bash names without details.
But with just a name said here was enough for now, ZZP has been very straight and clear, seems rods on LDK are weaker than LNF, showing those picts was to open a discussion about if LDK is weaker than LNF that seems to be true.

Quick Reply: LHU/LDK can't hold same or more than LNF