2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

My ZFR

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
i sure hope the oil fitting wasent drilled and retapped. thats a red flag to bw right there.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Omiotek
With the small turbos I don't find it crucial but with the big ones I find it to be a insurance policy. What's it going to hurt? Sorry for the thread derail

Afiak he bought zaps prototypes turbo which is used and saw some abuse. Turbos are a maitence item and they don't last forever.
Some turbos have seals that don't take kindly to idling a whole lot. Over time they'll start leaking oil into the exhaust and such.

On that note, when my turbo seal went on my last turbo, the dealer even told me I needed to idle the car less and get into boost more... and I was like okay, not a problem.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
When I was looking into the EFR I was told that they slightly redesigned the turbos and resolved some issues. Thats why they were hard to get for a period of time. You have one of the first design ones and I would ask BW for the upgraded Model. It also uses a better wheel
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frogstofall

They had to enlarge the fitting or the oil feed hole on the turbo itself?

Also, this turbo has been on your car for 7 mos but what about how long ZZP had it? What's the warranty time frame? (Just asking bc I'm curious nothing more)
Enlarge the fitting, no modifications to the turbo has been made. I have no clue man, I sent them the info they wanted yesterday and no reply yet today. I'm guessing they're contacting BW for me but I'm not sure. If I don't hear anything from them by the end of this week I guess I'm on my own. I really don't think that's the case though. They've always helped me.

Originally Posted by Omiotek
i sure hope the oil fitting wasent drilled and retapped. thats a red flag to bw right there.
No not at all. In the how to thread provided by Macgyver2484 he states

"16. Before starting to install the new oil/coolant lines the oil return line will need to be modified to fit the new bolts that go into the turbo. You need a 21/64th drill bit. I had all sorts of drill bits, but this size isn’t exactly common so I had to buy one. Be sure to remove all metal shavings and clean out the tube with brake cleaner to ensure all metal is cleared from the tube. Metal shavings in the oil pan = bad."

Originally Posted by mongorat427
When I was looking into the EFR I was told that they slightly redesigned the turbos and resolved some issues. Thats why they were hard to get for a period of time. You have one of the first design ones and I would ask BW for the upgraded Model. It also uses a better wheel
Lol, I'm hoping they will reimburse me with a new turbo. I mean it would be illogical to give another turbo that will be prone to blowing. I really want to see if I can be another guinea pig for their EFR 7064 .
Old 03-07-2013, 10:16 PM

No reply yet, hopefully by tomorrow we will find out. If not, I will probably have to go with my plan B.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't give up man that's not right.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 PM

I mean from the standpoint of BW the 7 months doesn't matter. You could have beat the living **** out of it for 7 months for all that they know. I mean we all know that you have taken care of it, but they don't. As a business you are not trying to hand out free turbos, even tho you may **** a few good people off, you will save urself from alot of scumbags
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stamina
Some turbos have seals that don't take kindly to idling a whole lot. Over time they'll start leaking oil into the exhaust and such.

On that note, when my turbo seal went on my last turbo, the dealer even told me I needed to idle the car less and get into boost more... and I was like okay, not a problem.
im not saying to let the thing idle for 10 minute.... 1 minute after driving isnt going to kill seals or anything.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by 4g63killer
Don't give up man that's not right.
I'm not giving up. Just sucks cause I'm trying to be realistic as possible. Kind of in a corner till I hear something, but I have to get my car running ASAP.

Originally Posted by kdub1492
I mean from the standpoint of BW the 7 months doesn't matter. You could have beat the living **** out of it for 7 months for all that they know. I mean we all know that you have taken care of it, but they don't. As a business you are not trying to hand out free turbos, even tho you may **** a few good people off, you will save urself from alot of scumbags
I don't even know. I mean AFAIK and heard that **** will take months for them to even determine if they will warranty it or not. I'm definitely not going to pay for labor twice to put my k04 back in etc. I'm probably going to have to just buy another turbo, simple as that. It's either going to be another ZFR or a bigger turbo. Unfortunately you gotta pay to play, and they weren't joking.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mongorat427
it mostly had to due with the whole indy car thing.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you email someone about this? I see you sent me some PMs the other day... If that was all you did, you should realize that PMs are not a proper method of customer service. There are many people at zzp that you can email and get a response in a short period of time. I check PMs about once a week, if that. I'm also on vacation right now and just happened to check out css since I'm in for the night.

Were you the one that bought the used turbo and then got hooked up by BW when they rebuilt it for free?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Did you email someone about this? I see you sent me some PMs the other day... If that was all you did, you should realize that PMs are not a proper method of customer service. There are many people at zzp that you can email and get a response in a short period of time. I check PMs about once a week, if that. I'm also on vacation right now and just happened to check out css since I'm in for the night.

Were you the one that bought the used turbo and then got hooked up by BW when they rebuilt it for free?
My fault, I should have emailed. You just replied to my Pms pretty quickly and I though you guys were working on it.

BTW, no I was not the guy that got hooked up by BW. I was the guy asking you a year ago that I am very interested in your EFR. You then said that you actually had one set up for me because I told you that I would take detail pics and dyno etc. I waited a month and pmed you again. You said the turbo had to be sent back to BW and they had to rebuild it. After that got done I waited a couple more weeks for the coolant and oil lines. From sometime in March we talked and i waited till July when I got the whole turbo. You should remember me by now lol. You said I had the prototype kit without the PCV valve in the housing and I had to get the bolts for my turbo to dp and manifold etc. I was literally the third person to have the ZZP EFR on their car.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Former Vendor

Yes, I remember now. We have sold a few dozen of these, so it's not easy to recall individual cases. However, yes- you did get the one that was rebuilt, as I was saying. You got yours cheaper than everyone else was getting them and then it ended up that there was a chip in the wheel and they rebuilt the whole turbo for free. Then we still honored the discounted price. I guess what I'm saying is that it was special circumstances that allowed you to get a much cheaper price. Does that mean the turbo should have failed? No, of course not. Is does mean that it will be tough to get it warrantied, though. The serial number shows that it was the 13th one made, so it's been around a while. The easiest thing to do would be to send your turbo in and we could replace it and give you some credit back for yours. You would probably come in around half price that way. We can also set you up with the PCV inlet on the new one.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:36 AM

Yes, I remember now. We have sold a few dozen of these, so it's not easy to recall individual cases. However, yes- you did get the one that was rebuilt, as I was saying. You got yours cheaper than everyone else was getting them and then it ended up that there was a chip in the wheel and they rebuilt the whole turbo for free. Then we still honored the discounted price. I guess what I'm saying is that it was special circumstances that allowed you to get a much cheaper price. Does that mean the turbo should have failed? No, of course not. Is does mean that it will be tough to get it warrantied, though. The serial number shows that it was the 13th one made, so it's been around a while. The easiest thing to do would be to send your turbo in and we could replace it and give you some credit back for yours. You would probably come in around half price that way. We can also set you up with the PCV inlet on the new one.
I will keep in touch with the process and what I plan to do. I'm at work right now and will keep in touch through Email as well. Thank you for the responses.

Ps, I didn't get any discounted price. I paid 2200 for the turbo and 2 mounts. Essentially I just got free shipping. Thank you for that though.

Last edited by Fastgti69; 03-10-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
Hey OP, what happened with this? did you get it warrantied?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by leemanfor
Hey OP, what happened with this? did you get it warrantied?
We are going to exchange it and sell him a brand new setup for 1/2 price. BW most likely won't warranty it becase it is a very old unit, one of the first 6758s.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM

We are going to exchange it and sell him a brand new setup for 1/2 price. BW most likely won't warranty it becase it is a very old unit, one of the first 6758s.
Very stand up move by ZZP, I applaud that!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
ah ok. thats cool.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:02 AM

Yea, when I have some money though. I'm in some bad financial situations right now so it's going to take some time unfortunately :/
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pay to play is a bit of an understatement lol, rough!!
Old 03-21-2013, 03:11 PM

Damn Man, That down right sucks....Yeah I'd be a tad bit ticked myself, But this kind of stuff does happen unfortunitley, This is the exact reason that I wanted to wait until they came out for a while to see how they were producing/holding up, Good Luck though man
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 AM

Mine was a preproduction rebuilt turbo. I understood what I was getting myself into. Glad nothing worse happened. Thanking ZZP for doing this favor for me.