2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

And So It Begins - Another ZZP Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Made some good progress today!

Dropped the engine by myself, it amazingly wasn't hard at all. The hardest part was removing the heater core hoses. I guess where it got hot and where they haven't been off for 32k miles, they were stubborn and I bent the heatshield on them all up. I ended up cutting the larger heater core hose back about an inch as there was slack in them anyways and I was starting to bend the inlets a little. I degreased the entire engine bay because oil and coolant was all over everything, plus it was a little grimey. I will pressure wash it tomorrow. I also forgot my inverted torx bit set at the house so I couldn't completely remove the head at the timing cover to see the carnage, but I did get all of the head bolts out. All I can say is my air tools are a life saver.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 04-05-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, this year people are going to be surprised on how many Cobalts/ LNF's are going to be waxing that ass. Lol
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by 40rty
Wow, this year people are going to be surprised on how many Cobalts/ LNF's are going to be waxing that ass. Lol
Lol, oh yeah! Guy locally is getting the same turbo kit I have. Not sure if hes going with the entire charge piping and intercooler like I have or not but it will definitely be another fast lil LNF!

Edit: Also I called up the shipping company today. They were waiting on a box truck so they could deliver the engine. Said the scheduled delivery date is tomorrow. So its looking like I'm going to be assembling the top end tomorrow!

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 04-05-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:06 AM

Yea the heater core hoses gave me **** too.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Damn our expensive ass water pumps! $257 but thats at the dealer...
Old 04-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Engine is here, should be in the car by the weekend. Debating on what to run in it as far as oil. Seems ZZP didn't send me the brad penn break in oil and no one around here sells it. I'm thinking either AMS Oil with Zinc additive or Mobil 1 with Zinc Additive. I would link pics from my facebook but I cant get the links as I am on my droid atm.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM

Nevermind, I was able to get the pic link through the facebook mobile site. Also just got an email from Tim at ZZP. They are sending me break in oil by UPS. So I may not be able to start it until Monday or so, but thats cool because all I'll have to do when I get it in is prime the engine with oil then fire it up!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good faster can't wait to see the finished project. I can't wait to start on mine soon! Did just the engine come in or did all your stuff from zzp come on in , charge pipes and stuff?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Engine is here, should be in the car by the weekend. Debating on what to run in it as far as oil. Seems ZZP didn't send me the brad penn break in oil and no one around here sells it. I'm thinking either AMS Oil with Zinc additive or Mobil 1 with Zinc Additive. I would link pics from my facebook but I cant get the links as I am on my droid atm.
I'm running Mobil 1 High Mileage in my ZZP engine after finishing off the break in oil. A GM/Chrysler engineer (now retired) that was invited out to an MPx meet to give a talk about oils recommended it, stating that the Mobil 1 High Mileage oil had the better levels of Zinc Additive (ZDP) in it for performance engines, and that it was on record and regularly tested by Mobil when he had looked into it. The regular synthetic and Extended Performance versions did not have the elevated ZDP content (due to emissions goals).

As a side note (and I'm not saying this to start anything.. because I used RP too at one point), but he was unable to verify Royal Purple's mixture, due to the their shipping containers not being tested for consistency with their marketing. Not saying that it is worse necessarily, but that it lacks in quality control in this case, which could lead to inconsistent levels of ZDP.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Damn our expensive ass water pumps! $257 but thats at the dealer...
dude napa for like 75 dollars
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Really? Is it a knock-off?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by 40rty
QFT.

i already wax 95% of cars in my area and surrounding cities. lol. people got all jelly when they found out i swapped the turbo. altho im only slightly faster than i was for now.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM

lol

FAILS WORLD - World's Fastest Engine Removal - YouTube
Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 AM

Engine is Assembled and In Time! I still need to get a 90 degree barbed/threaded fitting for the oil pan as ZZP uses a different oil pan than the stock LNF one apparently. Doesn't seem as big as the stock LNF oil pan either.

Almost looks like an LSJ pan.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 04-06-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:50 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Looking good Nick! I am going on a road trip this weekend..
Old 04-07-2012, 02:05 AM

I pulled the head off my stock engine and it seems as expected, my head gasket blew. There isn't much wrong with the block. I may use it as a buggy engine or just keep it as a spare since I have to pay for shipping if I send it to ZZP for my core.

I took my time with assembling the engine the rest of the way. I realized the ZZP block doesn't have the oil cooler ports so I just removed all cooling lines for it and plugged off the outlet for it on the plastic coupler and here I was worried because I didn't buy the seals for it. I also installed the turbo manifold and turbo onto the new engine as well as picked up some brass fittings for my turbo oil drain in the ZZP oil pan. I'll install my fueling system and intake mani after I bolt the frame back into the car.

The engine should be in the car and have the fueling system and intake mani completely installed tomorrow. It will be ready to start other than my break in oil by Sunday so I'll just be waiting until it comes!
Old 04-07-2012, 02:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there, but you seemed a little miffed about ZZP not filling you in on the differences.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by JBThrasher22
Looking good faster can't wait to see the finished project. I can't wait to start on mine soon! Did just the engine come in or did all your stuff from zzp come on in , charge pipes and stuff?
All my stuff came in other than my break in oil, couplers and clamps for my ZZP lower charge piping. I'm getting them in a few days. I can ship out my Hahn piping to you then.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by SSlobalt
I'm just throwing this out there, but you seemed a little miffed about ZZP not filling you in on the differences.
Yeah, they didn't tell me much. I am just noticing them as I go. Maybe it will help others who install an engine of theirs. I am not annoyed really, I just have to make changes to the expected install. I understand that the oil cooler was most likely not made usable with their engine for reliability purposes when making high hp. I kind of understand the oil pan as well, I believe the oil return was relocated to the oil pan due to rigidity purposes on the girdle. I see reasons for everything, I just wish it was more specific in the description of the engine on their site.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by blrt
Looking good Nick! I am going on a road trip this weekend..
Let me know how it goes!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Let me know how it goes!
Not really doing anything major just the 4.45. Good job and thanks for sharing the installed with us. It is good to know the little differences from the stock block.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 AM

Engine is in the car with all on engine sensors hooked up. The wiring harness has been reinstalled and I ended up replacing my powergrid endlinks with lifetime warranty moog ones as all the moving of the subframe broke the aluminum cased ends. I installed the injectors, fuel pump (used a thin layer of rtv as specified when using the cam with the upgraded fuel lobe for greater travel with the pump), fuel rail, new revised low pressure line(I really like it, as it seems to be larger in diameter than the factory one, I had issues with it leaking in the past so i thought I'd make sure it wouldn't happen again with a new one), new high pressure fuel line, new intake gasket, and rerouted my cooling system as I do no longer have the oil cooler due to the block not even having the ports for it. A few of the holes on the front of the block are also tapped at a different size and thread which I noticed, I had to choose a smaller oil drain fitting as my half shaft would hit the fitting so I stepped it down to 1/4" NPT fittings. It had the same ID as the oil drain hose so I wasn't worried about flow limitations on it. Cooling system and A/C system is reinstalled along with the alternator and starter.

Pretty much the only thing needed to be installed is the intercooler, chargepiping, turbo air intake, wg dump tube, downpipe, and boost line routing. I thought I could use my Hahn couplers on the zzp lower charge pipe temporarily but I can't as ZZP's pipe has a step up to the size of the throttle body welded into the lower pipe so my chargepiping will have to wait. I did however mount my Boost controller in the trunk release compartment, however I haven't routed the lines yet.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 04-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by raver0789
Old 04-09-2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by matt638
Yea, I'm not that impatient or stupid!
Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM

All my stuff came in other than my break in oil, couplers and clamps for my ZZP lower charge piping. I'm getting them in a few days. I can ship out my Hahn piping to you then.
No problem man just let me know, I'm just excited to see your beast put back together and running also! Hope you had a great Easter Holiday and everything else goes smoothly. Keep the information coming!

Quick Reply: And So It Begins - Another ZZP Engine Swap