2.0L LNF Performance Tech 260hp and 260 lb-ft of torque Turbocharged tuner version.

Turbo Build upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shibito
There's no nitrous. I also believe that ZZP is running their own valvetrain. I'm not sure if they are on stock pistons or not.
ZZP has a fuel pressure regulator on their car running ~2750 psi. There are always ways around the ECMs limits if you are willing to innovative.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Shibito
There's no nitrous. I also believe that ZZP is running their own valvetrain. I'm not sure if they are on stock pistons or not.
yup found the thread and updated my post, high octane gas....really high octane, 110.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 80vetteL82
No offense man, but I find this REALLY hard to believe....unless if by traction you mean, if you get on it really really easy in 2nd gear you dont spin....if you have 404tq to the wheels and get on it hard in 2nd I dont care what tires youre running, theyre going to be pulverized onto the pavement
lol ok dont believe me i have no problem on it... i was the firs LNF to be tuned by Vince on 30psi on a VERY aggressive tune.... i dont care if u do believe me or not...
Old 01-05-2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by cardelino18
would this be good for my project???
Carrillo H-Beam Connecting Rods- $1000
Head gasket- $89.99
Wiseco Forged Pistons- $721.56
Supertech Ecotec Stainless Valves- $400.00
Supertech 78Lb Valve Spring Kit- $359.99
OTTP Rolated Trans Mounts- $205
SPEC Stage 4 Clutch- $572
Total = $3348.54

its a good start:

ARP Head studs
intercooler
charge pipping
air intake

all the miscellanous bullshit. it adds up real quick. like i said im around 15grand spent on full motor and tranny rebuilt along with brakes, suspension, tires, and whatever else u wanna due

due it right or dont due it at all

Last edited by SloBaLt RiDeR; 01-05-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by northvibe
zzp made I think a 2nd fuel rail of sorts to get more fuel in as the stock pump wasnt doing what they wanted. Also they used nitrous if Im not mistaken. They wont release any more info about it until further testing etc.. they said some time Q1 2010 I think.

You will seriously be disappointed, theres a glass 400whp wall with the way current tuning and parts are. Its the same in the MS3 world..well they recently had a break though and have 450-500+whp now...
Corrections-

We raised the fuel pressure. No additional injectors were added.

We have never run nitrous on my Cobalt, or any of our Cobalts for that matter.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes I know why they did what they did, NO VINCE HAS NOT. He has unlocked some new tables they are NOT the tables needed. I read their post about that and its NOT fully unlocked yet.

Ok found zzp's thread, sorry they used insanely high octance gas not nitrous.
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/zzp-lnf-turbo-upgrade-first-dyno-session-192648/
It was like 200 oct!

Really, 110 not very high.

Originally Posted by Terminator2
ZZP has a fuel pressure regulator on their car running ~2750 psi. There are always ways around the ECMs limits if you are willing to innovative.
stock fuel regulator

Last edited by Ryan@zzp; 01-05-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Matt M
Corrections-

We raised the fuel pressure. No additional injectors were added.

We have never run nitrous on my Cobalt, or any of our Cobalts for that matter.
yeah sorry didnt know what exactly you did, thank you for correction.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SloBaLt RiDeR
its a good start:

ARP Head studs
intercooler
charge pipping
air intake

all the miscellanous bullshit. it adds up real quick. like i said im around 15grand spent on full motor and tranny rebuilt along with brakes, suspension, tires, and whatever else u wanna due

due it right or dont due it at all
Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM

its amazing all the people in this thread posting incorrect info
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by EXsoccer1921
nevermind about the manifold hahah. didn't expect a cast piece to be as clean as that one is. as soon as i heard "cast manifold" i thought of the stock exhaust manifold on the lsj's....balhfglasdflsdh
Does that manifold fit our car?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 PM

we are making a manifold that will fit the LNF engine...
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by glhs379
its amazing all the people in this thread posting incorrect info
good thing I said I think and then zzp never really released any info on how they did it.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM

good thing I said I think and then zzp never really released any info on how they did it.

Yeah wow , like that many SS Cobalts or even LNF's exist or enough people are in the market for that sort of upgrade anyway , Good job ZZP way to keep the community interested in your products, you got my money just waiting for you let me tell ya.... Why wouldn't you just tell us "how you did it" or did you really even do it at all is the real question I haven't seen any engine bay pics or anything but a youtube video of the turbo spooling and spiking like it has roid rage. Oh and a few "dyno sheets" for all I know they gutted the TC and thats how they ran 11's I am not a non-believer but being shady about developments is just giving you all a bad image to the whole community , we as the consumers aren't here to "take your ideas" as soon as you release a kit you know how many other vendors are just going to take your idea and run with it anyway , besides that HPT will have us all fixed by spring I am guessing so who will need ZZP's genius ideas anyway I don't know... Even if it just requires a few innovative parts some one else is going to manufacture it replicate it and sell it for cheaper so you might as well just spill the damn beans.

Last edited by PrincessTurbo; 01-05-2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 PM

why do people always think that fwd cars can't have a lot of power?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0CW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r6KiLpbuao

i know one of you ignorant ******** is going to say something about it being a civic but honestly why does it matter. its an 800+ hp fwd car that gets down the track very well. yes its a race car but it proves that fwd cars can have a lot of power and still have enough traction to get down the track.

i wish you luck on your build and hope you are able to reach your power goals
Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
Yeah wow , like that many SS Cobalts or even LNF's exist or enough people are in the market for that sort of upgrade anyway , Good job ZZP way to keep the community interested in your products, you got my money just waiting for you let me tell ya.... Why wouldn't you just tell us "how you did it" or did you really even do it at all is the real question I haven't seen any engine bay pics or anything but a youtube video of the turbo spooling and spiking like it has roid rage. Oh and a few "dyno sheets" for all I know they gutted the TC and thats how they ran 11's I am not a non-believer but being shady about developments is just giving you all a bad image to the whole community , we as the consumers aren't here to "take your ideas" as soon as you release a kit you know how many other vendors are just going to take your idea and run with it anyway , besides that HPT will have us all fixed by spring I am guessing so who will need ZZP's genius ideas anyway I don't know... Even if it just requires a few innovative parts some one else is going to manufacture it replicate it and sell it for cheaper so you might as well just spill the damn beans.
Wow, do you really view us like this? That's a pretty tainted perception. Do you really think we should tell everyone how to do something new and experimental? Do you think it would be safe or responsible for us to have a bunch of Cobalt owners around the country driving around with maxed out fuel pressure before we really know how their mechanicl fuel pumps will hold up or if the injectors will fail or leak? We will release fuel pressure upgrades if and when we find it safe to do so. If we were as shady as you claim, then we would have released a simple product to raise fuel pressure and sold them at an unreasonable price.

As far as gutting my Cobalt to run 11s, you are simply coming up with theories in attempt to discredit our accomplishments. We announce when and where we race, and we invite people to come watch and/or race with us. We also bring customers through the shop or dyno bay on a regular basis. We are completely up-front about what mods we have and how we set up our cars for racing. Anyone who claims otherwise obviously does not interact with us enough to know the truth.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by jschru

i know one of you ignorant ******** is going to say something about it being a civic but honestly why does it matter. its an 800+ hp fwd car that gets down the track very well. yes its a race car but it proves that fwd cars can have a lot of power and still have enough traction to get down the track.

Thanks! i really appreciate your support!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by jschru

Did you pay attention to any of the thread? Yes there can be extremely high HP FWD cars hat get down the track consistently and very quickly...but the OP said he wants his car to remain a Daily Driver in addition to being 500+ at the wheels. Do you honestly believe that civic in those vids can get around town at all? Trust me...we all know those power levels can be achieved and used at the track on a FWD setup running large slicks...but not for getting back and forth to work.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Wow, do you really view us like this? That's a pretty tainted perception. Do you really think we should tell everyone how to do something new and experimental? Do you think it would be safe or responsible for us to have a bunch of Cobalt owners around the country driving around with maxed out fuel pressure before we really know how their mechanicl fuel pumps will hold up or if the injectors will fail or leak? We will release fuel pressure upgrades if and when we find it safe to do so. If we were as shady as you claim, then we would have released a simple product to raise fuel pressure and sold them at an unreasonable price.

As far as gutting my Cobalt to run 11s, you are simply coming up with theories in attempt to discredit our accomplishments. We announce when and where we race, and we invite people to come watch and/or race with us. We also bring customers through the shop or dyno bay on a regular basis. We are completely up-front about what mods we have and how we set up our cars for racing. Anyone who claims otherwise obviously does not interact with us enough to know the truth.
Damn, say it again!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM

Another fast street car minus the slicks on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQh8Xw_RjBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcY0fS32fxI

Its no cobalt but fast none the less
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sweetsandman
Did you pay attention to any of the thread? Yes there can be extremely high HP FWD cars hat get down the track consistently and very quickly...but the OP said he wants his car to remain a Daily Driver in addition to being 500+ at the wheels. Do you honestly believe that civic in those vids can get around town at all? Trust me...we all know those power levels can be achieved and used at the track on a FWD setup running large slicks...but not for getting back and forth to work.
I see both sides of this. You are correct that a 500whp Cobalt is worthless on the street. The OP is also correct in saying that he can turn the boost down for daily driving.

What I found driving around last fall was that I had to be well below 400whp to get any kind of traction in 2nd gear. I'm also running very good tires up front, and they are taller than stock. Basically, when I had the boost set where it made 450-475whp, the car wasn't any fun till 90+mph, which is pretty much a waste. This is why we decided to switch our base kit to a smaller turbo. We are setting it up to be more responsive and have 450whp capability, rather than 550 whp capability. We think people will have more fun with an instant 375whp if they punch it in 3rd, rather than a slight lag and then blowing the tires off and going nowhere with 475whp.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 AM

I see both sides of this. You are correct that a 500whp Cobalt is worthless on the street. The OP is also correct in saying that he can turn the boost down for daily driving.

What I found driving around last fall was that I had to be well below 400whp to get any kind of traction in 2nd gear. I'm also running very good tires up front, and they are taller than stock. Basically, when I had the boost set where it made 450-475whp, the car wasn't any fun till 90+mph, which is pretty much a waste. This is why we decided to switch our base kit to a smaller turbo. We are setting it up to be more responsive and have 450whp capability, rather than 550 whp capability. We think people will have more fun with an instant 375whp if they punch it in 3rd, rather than a slight lag and then blowing the tires off and going nowhere with 475whp.
I couldn't agree more And I'm extremely excited for your setup to be released. Pay no attention to the Naysayers...just keep proving them wrong with each accomplishment

As far as a low boost setting on your 550+whp setup with the big turbo...I'm sure it could be used as a daily driver on low boost...but the spool time would be obnoxious even for a small abount of boost like climbing a hill or light acceleration from stoplights for getting around town...I suppose it would be possible...but not really fun or anything that one would want to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

Your smaller turbo setup is the one I'm excited for!
Old 01-06-2010, 11:08 AM

i agree with this statement, thats the boat i'm in, prolly not hitting anywhere near 475, but still all it does is lag then as soon as it hits boost it blows the tires loose and i hit the rev limiter. on the autobahn its pretty nice though
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree . I like going to the track every now and then but Daily Driving is more important even if I only go to car shows with the car. Ill be happy with 400HP
Old 01-06-2010, 12:03 PM

So give us some pictures of the engine bay and the turbo swap and full interior .

All I have seen is a black cobalt at the strip ..

Safe ? DO you think it is safe for HPT to charge 600 dollars for tuning software knowing with just a few incorrect settings you could potentially blow the motor and void warranties ?

It isn't their job to be the "LNF Police" lol wow I guess if vendors have no faith in their own products they are doubtful of themselves thats how I see it .
It's that funny little disclaimer message called "use at your own risk" thats real hard to put on a product .. Stop beating around the bush. I smell something fishy around here .

BTW the stock parts have MAX ratings that are clearly put on the OEM parts so all you gotta do is look up the part number and you can have your MAX ratings right their. I am pretty sure the flow rate of the DI's are rated up to IIRC 800HP along with the Fuel pump, fuel rail is another issue. your individual ratings and test results on 1 cobalt doesn't justify the platform as a whole so stop with the shenanigans. For one I live at 6000 feet and I really doubt you are gunna test it at high altitude now are you probably didn't think of that.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
So give us some pictures of the engine bay and the turbo swap and full interior .

All I have seen is a black cobalt at the strip ..

Safe ? DO you think it is safe for HPT to charge 600 dollars for tuning software knowing with just a few incorrect settings you could potentially blow the motor and void warranties ?

It isn't their job to be the "LNF Police" lol wow I guess if vendors have no faith in their own products they are doubtful of themselves thats how I see it .
It's that funny little disclaimer message called "use at your own risk" thats real hard to put on a product .. Stop beating around the bush. I smell something fishy around here .

BTW the stock parts have MAX ratings that are clearly put on the OEM parts so all you gotta do is look up the part number and you can have your MAX ratings right their. I am pretty sure the flow rate of the DI's are rated up to IIRC 800HP along with the Fuel pump, fuel rail is another issue. your individual ratings and test results on 1 cobalt doesn't justify the platform as a whole so stop with the shenanigans. For one I live at 6000 feet and I really doubt you are gunna test it at high altitude now are you probably didn't think of that.
Wow, you really are bitter about something. Where is all of this coming from? Here is a pic from the track photographer at Milan Dragway on the day I ran 11.4-

Nothing was removed from the interior. I didn't run skinnies. I ran a full, off-the-shelf ZZP exhaust. I really have no idea where you are coming from with your comments. We have never gutted any of our Cobalts.

If you think I'm "beating around the bush", maybe you should email Hahn and ask for all of the details on a product they have not released yet. You will get nothing from them.

We will have more information on our turbo kit released soon. I have been busy with about 10 other projects, but hope to have my car on the dyno by the end of the week. The S252 turbo is installed.

Quick Reply: Turbo Build upgrade!