2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Lysholm 1.6 Twinscrew - En route to power!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frew
Congrats, im glad to see it turned out well, I would like to see the results on 93 and stock head
I will be on stock head with pump gas for the initial set up
Old 07-24-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
has plenty to do with the thread, it's discussing the cost/benefit for this type of setup, and a turbo was never once mentioned there, how do you know i wasn't referring to nitrous?
I disagree with your assumption as to why the thread was made. There was nothing in the first post that compared this to any other setup. This thread is to post numbers and prove/disprove what this kit can do. And without numbers, we don't really know.Also I assumed that when you said you could take 4000 and make the alternative, it was a turbo because that would be a lot to spend on a nitrous kit(I know you said or less). So can we stay on what the lysholm is capable of or can do until numbers or figured so we can then compare in the future. Thanks..
Old 07-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wRcKLes
so whats being said is that this Lysholm twinscrew should not be placed on a car thats being daily driven not saying it cant be done but it wont be practical aka needs race gas or is at least on E85. seeing as how I dont have any E85 gas stations around me Im kinda ...screwed

and price tag is going to be over 2,000 for this supercharger?
thats is not whats being said the 1600 can be daily driven what is being discussed is what it its gonna take to get the full potential out of it
Old 07-24-2011, 12:33 PM

numbers!!!!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM

someone asked for the compressor maps?

1600ax

TVS
Old 07-24-2011, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just out of curiosity what kind of numbers are you putting down with your 3071r selfinfliction?
Old 07-24-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RooTBeeR
someone asked for the compressor maps?

1600ax

TVS
How are you supposed to compare two graphs, one in m^3/min the other in m^3/hr?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
The graph Rootbeer posted is way out of date.

Vortech is working on providing new up-to-date graphs for all their lysholm products. (vortech owns Lysholm... sob i know... i know.. moving on)

---------------

This isn't rocket science ladies and gentleman..

With any s/c'd setup on this car. To see maximum gains you'll need a full exhaust, intake, ls4 throttle body, e-85 or methanol. I really don't consider that "heavily modded". Cooling mods are optional... Your better off getting a phenolic intake mani spacer from ZZP and/or introducing more water into the system via Euthanasia's 4 gallon or 1 gallon flow thru tanks.

Here's a HUGE key point to remember. This blower is a 1.6L... our engine is a 2.0l... Our heads flow as well as I can throw darts (I'm ****).
DISPLACEMENT, DISPLACEMENT, DISPLACEMENT, DISPLACEMENT!!!!! WE DON'T HAVE IT!!!

What do we have?
We have an efficient twinscrew, whether it's on a 3.4 @ 7400 (14,127 rpm) or 3.8 pulley @ 7400 (12,657 rpm)
Capability to rev to 7400 rpm (STOCK VALVETRAIN)
Euthanasia's porting abilities for an extremely low cost... Ehhhem... Euthanasia's head porting....

What do we do?
Port the head (without head work, you'll be around 23-24 psi on a 3.8 pulley... ^PSI = ^HEAT... Put the silly cooling mods down... yes I'm talking to you... add a nozzle pre blower... no no not a 3gph you puss... and spray a 50/50 mix or greater)
add e-85 or methanol, maybe both
rev it as far your budget allows
quit dicking around w/ cooling mods and tune the damn thing, it's not difficult.

Last edited by 100% METH; 07-24-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
it dosent cost 2000 in mods to run a tvs
really? so injectors, harness, plugs, dual pass +/- secondary heat exchanger, intake, header, downpipe, exhaust, tune, gauges doesn't add up to two grand? you may be able to hover right over a grand with used and ebay equipment

you're correct, you can bolt up a tvs to anything but in your own words, it is a disappointment unless you push it
Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BlackMagic
just out of curiosity what kind of numbers are you putting down with your 3071r selfinfliction?
final numbers on pump gas without meth was 379whp, 362wtq with a cheap, non flowing garret cast manifold.

hell, it put down 320whp/330wtq with a canned tune right out of the box lol
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

really? so injectors, harness, plugs, dual pass +/- secondary heat exchanger, intake, header, downpipe, exhaust, tune, gauges doesn't add up to two grand? you may be able to hover right over a grand with used and ebay equipment

you're correct, you can bolt up a tvs to anything but in your own words, it is a disappointment unless you push it
considering most people have injectors,harness,plugs,dual pass,heat exchanger,intake,header,down pipe, no it wouldent cost 2000
Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 07-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrbelvedere
considering most people have injectors,harness,plugs,dual pass,heat exchanger,intake,header,down pipe, no it wouldent cost 2000
yeah but you're avoiding the entire issue of it being NECESSARY to get even a decent gain
Old 07-25-2011, 01:02 AM

So is the M62. I think you will agree that the M62 is slow as ***** unless you perform all supporting mods and of course tuning.

But even with a turbo, you need injectors, harness, plugs, intercooler setup, charge pipes, intake, turbo manifold, downpipe, exhaust, tune, gauges.. etc. So it's a moot point. You can't claim that the TVS will need supporting mods and pretend like a turbo won't.

There are some here who have done the TVS, injectors, tuning, E85 and that's pretty much it, and put out WELL over 300, in fact closer to 350 - a gain of over 150whp off of most stock dyno's (which also, btw, is only ~30whp off of your turbo setup). That doesn't sound like $2k in mods to me just to run the TVS.

But, of course, to each their own. The turbo vs. supercharger debate will always be there.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Im a firm believer in a ported head being the best mod for the LSJ if it is still on a blower. That combined with E85 or meth and a good tune makes for a fun and decently quick setup. Most blower LSJ's wont compete with turbo ones but to each their own. Hell on a TVS with a 2.9" pulley (***** **** lol) on 17psi on the STOCK slipping clutch and stock 05 fuel pump and 26" slicks that hit the spring perch and kill the top end I mustered out a 12.6 with a 2.1 60' and trapped 113.2mph.

Also Euthanasia's heads are pretty damn awesome.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in for results
Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
So is the M62. I think you will agree that the M62 is slow as ***** unless you perform all supporting mods and of course tuning.

But even with a turbo, you need injectors, harness, plugs, intercooler setup, charge pipes, intake, turbo manifold, downpipe, exhaust, tune, gauges.. etc. So it's a moot point. You can't claim that the TVS will need supporting mods and pretend like a turbo won't.

There are some here who have done the TVS, injectors, tuning, E85 and that's pretty much it, and put out WELL over 300, in fact closer to 350 - a gain of over 150whp off of most stock dyno's (which also, btw, is only ~30whp off of your turbo setup). That doesn't sound like $2k in mods to me just to run the TVS.

But, of course, to each their own. The turbo vs. supercharger debate will always be there.
you are arguing my exact point, you will spend$4000 on a decent tvs setup or about the same on a setup that puts out more power with less upgrades.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

you are arguing my exact point, you will spend$4000 on a decent tvs setup or about the same on a setup that puts out more power with less upgrades.
where do you see a tvs injectors e85 and a tune costing 4000 bucks lol
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Not at all actually. The 340whp can be had for less than $3k. Actually much less than $3k with buying used. Even less if you get someone else to tune you.

TVS ~ $2000
2.7" pulley ~ $60
80# inj ~ $180
injector harness ~ $35
HPT Pro ~ $650
E85
-----------
$2925

In any sense, the injectors and tuning (and E85) are a wash since you would also need those for a turbo car. So, for simply the cost of a TVS and pulley, you can have 340whp. Plus, they are a direct bolt-in which can be done in under 20 minutes, adding injectors will take another 10. And with the way the TVS's are going for used on here, you can trade up your M62 and some cash and it will only cost you around $12-1500 for 340whp.

But according to what you wrote...
"more power with less upgrades...."

Turbo
Turbo exhaust manifold
custom downpipe to mate to exhaust
custom intake routing
blow-off valve
intercooler piping
intercooler
wastegate

[EDIT : Forgot about the supercharger delete and belt re-routing, 2.2 alternator, tensioner... etc...]

and if you wanted to add in the injectors and tuning...

+$865

That doesn't fit your argument. The turbo swap doesn't really start to shine unless you start to push it... just like you said about the TVS swap. Plus, the turbo is most definitely NOT a direct bolt-in. Lots of custom/special parts needed (even more if you have a redline...) So, more power with less upgrades doesn't really apply to anything under "heavily modded" and 400 whp. Hell, you ain't even at 400 yet...

Last edited by Tennpenn83; 07-25-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

oh ye of little knowledge.. i've had three different blowers on the car and multiple turbos, you are guessing what actually needs to be done and i am telling you from first hand knowledge.

when you do your calculation there, you are picking and choosing what to list and what not to to try and prove your point, in a worse case of statistics manipulation than a fox news poll.

you don't need a custom intake on a turbo, and you don't need a custom downpipe. the intake on mine was an aem, and the downpipe was an unmodified zzp downpipe that was on the car with the tvs. don't need a wastegate, plenty of them are internal and function fine. and you can't compare used equipment... if that was the case, i only paid $2400 shipped for a tune, piping, intake, filter, manifold, turbo, aem electronic boost controller, fmic and a partidge in a pear tree than ran on pump gas and puts down more power (and way more torque) with a canned tune than most of the tvs's... but what i paid and the price of used tvs's is completely irrelevant

and peak hp is irrelevant to me, if you ain't making torque, you're not going anywhere unless you're in the peak of the rpm band.. .torque is what gets you there and mine had enough to break street tires loose at 80mph with the boost turned up, you're not doing that with any blower here because they just don't have it.

anyways, removing my stuff from the discussion and back to the point, i was just talking about the cost/benefit of this and someone always has to point towards personal stuff when they have no valid info to back up their points... you can argue about shoulda would coulda all day, but this is one reason why i got rid of the car and am buying an ariel atom they're expensive and not so many kids that own them.

Last edited by selfinfliction; 07-25-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM

oh ye of little knowledge.. i've had three different blowers on the car and multiple turbos, you are guessing what actually needs to be done and i am telling you from first hand knowledge.

when you do your calculation there, you are picking and choosing what to list and what not to to try and prove your point, in a worse case of statistics manipulation than a fox news poll.
Show examples of where I did this? The only times I used "statistics manipulation" showing prices on used parts was after I already gave the prices for brand new parts...

you don't need a custom intake on a turbo, and you don't need a custom downpipe. the intake on mine was an aem, and the downpipe was an unmodified zzp downpipe that was on the car with the tvs. don't need a wastegate, plenty of them are internal and function fine. and you can't compare used equipment... if that was the case, i only paid $2400 shipped for a tune, piping, intake, filter, manifold, turbo, aem electronic boost controller, fmic and a partidge in a pear tree than ran on pump gas and puts down more power (and way more torque) with a canned tune than most of the tvs's... but what i paid and the price of used tvs's is completely irrelevant
So, using completely new, non-used parts... How much would it cost you to build a turbo kit for the car, using a properly sized, quality turbo, and excluding injectors, tuning, and other things that any modded car would need? I gave you :

TVS ~ $2k
2.7 ~ $60

Can you build a turbo kit that is able to reach 350whp using brand new, quality parts for under $2k? It can't be done. There are too many things that need to be done.

and peak hp is irrelevant to me, if you ain't making torque, you're not going anywhere unless you're in the peak of the rpm band.. .torque is what gets you there and mine had enough to break street tires loose at 80mph with the boost turned up, you're not doing that with any blower here because they just don't have it.
Then you've never ridden in a properly set up TVS car. This is not at all hard to do on mine. 1st gear is useless, 2nd gear is becoming useless, and 3rd gear can burn out the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs, 235/40/17, (one of the best summer tires on the market, in two sizes wider than stock) in 90 degree heat quite easily.

And I completely agree. Torque is a beautiful thing. That's why I love how a supercharger makes torque from 1500 rpms to redline. And btw, a 2.7" TVS with E85 makes quite a bit of torque.

anyways, removing my stuff from the discussion and back to the point, i was just talking about the cost/benefit of this and someone always has to point towards personal stuff when they have no valid info to back up their points... you can argue about shoulda would coulda all day, but this is one reason why i got rid of the car and am buying an ariel atom they're expensive and not so many kids that own them.
You are contradicting yourself. You talk about how someone always has to prove a point with a bias towards personal stuff, and yet that is exactly what you are doing.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tennpenn83
Can you build a turbo kit that is able to reach 350whp using brand new, quality parts for under $2k?
i will as soon as you show me the tvs that makes 350whp for under $2000, cause you're not going to find one on a completely stock car putting out anything near that.

which points all the back to the beginning of the discussion
Old 07-25-2011, 12:50 PM

WSFrazier, I hope you don't mind if I use your thread.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/dyno...5-dyno-246633/

So 352whp can be had with :

TVS
2.7" pulley
E85

Plus what any other car pushing 350whp would need
80# injectors/harness
tune

Other stuff on the car
ZZP BRFPS
Aftermarket fuel pump (since the `05's were crap)
GMPP extruded honed exh manifold
Cat-delete downpipe, 2.5"
GMPP cat-back (2.25", smaller than the stock 2.5")
Hurst Shifter

All this "other stuff" really doesn't mean a whole lot in terms of power.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

stuff does matter, that is not even close to a stock car jesus this place never ceases to amaze...

this is like me saying the sc only had everything installed except piping and an fmic and put down 350whp for $1k cause that's all the turbo itself cost
Old 07-25-2011, 01:27 PM

...good 'ol .nub

Quick Reply: Lysholm 1.6 Twinscrew - En route to power!