2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

MAF missing!!

Old 04-23-2019, 08:29 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
FYI I wasn't trying to make you look stupid. I don't know who you are or what your skill level is. Just trying to prevent any possibility of tail chasing. The main reason I wanted to verify there actually wasn't a MAF at all was because you said the MAF code didn't trip until just recently. It still doesn't add up that it took a month of driving without a MAF sensor for the MAF code(s) to show up. When things don't add up we usually don't have the whole story or parts of the story are inaccurate. It's easy for people to sometimes miss things and it isn't necessarily a result of incompetence.

If you want the car to run right you will need the lower intake portion to mount a MAF. You could probably easily find one at a salvage yard or on the internet from someone parting out their LSJ for relatively cheap. If your car still has stock tune it should be an easy fix.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Unrelated to the issue at hand, where in ON are ya?
Old 04-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
it should still set a circuit code as soon as the key is turned on, regardless of what other codes are there. if the maf was plugged in just hanging there the car should have had some serious running issues.
Im gonna guess the maf was plugged in and fell off the connecter at some point and that's why initially there was no circuit codes. He may not have been at high rpm enough to have the ecm run the maf monitor and set the code when the maf was plugged in, surprised that it didn't run poorly at high rpm when it changed over to the maf table but regardless we know what has to be done to fix it right now.
Originally Posted by Little/Nobody
@Kolt assuming my high rpm pulls is what caused the switch over, how to I switch is back. Im planning to sell the car and dont want to dump money into it. I can get an airbox if i must, but would prefer not to. When i bought the car it had the p0171 code that @Sharkey mentioned from the cone filter but that was all. Now i have all the MAF codes.
The switching of tables is automatic and rpm based. Regardless of how its ran so far and everything else, your cheapest route at the moment is get a factory intake assembly with a new maf, have the codes cleared and drive the car a while. Be prepared you may reset o2 codes but don't chase them right now, only worry about them if they reset after you get the intake fixed and clear everything.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolt
Im gonna guess the maf was plugged in and fell off the connecter at some point and that's why initially there was no circuit codes. He may not have been at high rpm enough to have the ecm run the maf monitor and set the code when the maf was plugged in, surprised that it didn't run poorly at high rpm when it changed over to the maf table but regardless we know what has to be done to fix it right now.

The switching of tables is automatic and rpm based. Regardless of how its ran so far and everything else, your cheapest route at the moment is get a factory intake assembly with a new maf, have the codes cleared and drive the car a while. Be prepared you may reset o2 codes but don't chase them right now, only worry about them if they reset after you get the intake fixed and clear everything.
Okay thank You for all your help
Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
FYI I wasn't trying to make you look stupid. I don't know who you are or what your skill level is. Just trying to prevent any possibility of tail chasing. The main reason I wanted to verify there actually wasn't a MAF at all was because you said the MAF code didn't trip until just recently. It still doesn't add up that it took a month of driving without a MAF sensor for the MAF code(s) to show up. When things don't add up we usually don't have the whole story or parts of the story are inaccurate. It's easy for people to sometimes miss things and it isn't necessarily a result of incompetence.

If you want the car to run right you will need the lower intake portion to mount a MAF. You could probably easily find one at a salvage yard or on the internet from someone parting out their LSJ for relatively cheap. If your car still has stock tune it should be an easy fix.
Exactly, none of it adds up. Thats why i was here asking. I just felt it was a little redundant to ask a qurstuon i answered basically twice in the main post.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchman
Unrelated to the issue at hand, where in ON are ya?
Windsor
Old 04-23-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Little/Nobody
Exactly, none of it adds up. Thats why i was here asking. I just felt it was a little redundant to ask a qurstuon i answered basically twice in the main post.
Redundancy is no reason to act like an ass to people trying to help you.

I deal in customer service often with my job. Nearly 100% of the time I get 80% of the story when trying to troubleshoot with customers. There have been multiple occasions that customers told me they checked something or are 100% sure they installed something correctly. I have chased my tail for hours trying to diagnose an unexplainable situation only to find out the original information I was given was incorrect. I apologize you were insulted by my assumption that it was more likely you were mistaken about the MAF not ever being installed rather than the MAF being unplugged this whole time, with no noticeable symptoms, only set a code after a month of driving due to some still unexplainable phenomenon within the ECU.

Last edited by jdbaugh1; 04-23-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:24 PM

So i picked up a MAF. Do I really need the top half of the airbox? Whats the dangers of routing a new hole in the plastic stock pipe?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
The maf has to be aligned in the pipe and set at a certain depth to read correctly so the box is a must.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kolt
The maf has to be aligned in the pipe and set at a certain depth to read correctly so the box is a must.
Okay thank you. I knew i would need it but i figured it wouldn't hurt ask.