2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Meth Questions/Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Meth Questions/Help

Hey guys before anyone even says "search", I have and I just need more clarification on some stuff.
There are so many different products out there and so much information on meth and all it entails that I'm just looking for some solid, basic answers for stuff. I've looked at a lot of kits (Snow, AIS, Devil'sown, etc) and they all seem really similar yet really different at the same time. I just want to know what I should look for when buying meth with my set up (see below) and what kit would be best for it.

Here's what I'll have when I look to install it (current mods are in the sig)...
Stage 2, CAI, full exhaust, 2.7" pulley, 60lbs, h/e, 2-step colder plugs and obviously a tune when I get the meth in.

So what do you guys think? What's the best thing to look for and what kit will work the best. I'd rather not have a trunk mounted kit just because I use my trunk a lot but I can always just deal. And I'd rather not spend like $500 on a kit. Thanks guys.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
devils own methanol progressive kit > all.

Also trunk mount > all. Can't be seen, you have a nice tank, easy to refill, seperate from windshield fluid so you aren't spraying methanol on your windshield and removing your paint.

But its really all opinion/personal preference. The biggest difference difference is progressive and none progressive. I recommend progressive.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:15 PM

Yea I've been looking at the Devil's Own kit a lot and I think I'm just gonna wind up doing a trunk mount (my hockey stuff can move haha). What's the difference b/n progressive and non-progressive? Pardon the noob-ness
Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 PM

i got the coolingmist non-progressive tapped into the washer fluid tank.

guess i have exactly what zach said not to get haha.

All it is spraying on the windshield is just strong washer fluid.. isn't gonna hurt anything. Dual purpose!

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
Yea I've been looking at the Devil's Own kit a lot and I think I'm just gonna wind up doing a trunk mount (my hockey stuff can move haha). What's the difference b/n progressive and non-progressive? Pardon the noob-ness
progressive ramps up the pressure it is spraying. You set a psi to start and a psi to have full spray.

We don't really need a progressive kit, you will be fine without one. I have mine set to spray at 7.5 psi. Some run it even lower, at like 4-5 psi.

Last edited by BriantheLion26; 08-30-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Try putting 100% methanol on your paint, let me know what happens brian lol. I have the dual pass option b, so Tom and I really didn't have a place to mount the devils own kit in the engine bay. So we just used the trunk, under the carpet in the wheel well. It takes up NO space in the trunk, minus the tank which is really small. I would go trunk mount as it also keeps the methanol cooler then in the warm engine bay.

Brian was dead on with the progressive vs non progressive diagnosis. I recommend progressive because if you are daily driving and accidentally hit low boost, it will spray a small amount to keep the temps even cooler. So that way it sprays when you are at like lets say 5psi starting, and full at 10psi. That is what mines set for.

However my iat2s hit 150 on a 90 degree day. I need to figure out whats up with that.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM

Awesome, both of those posts cleared up a lot of questions. So a progressive kit is definitely what I wanted. And now for the kit itself.... like I said I've been looking at the Devil's Own kit for a while and I've always been sorta leaning towards it. I looked on their website and saw it doesn't come with a tank since it's setup for using the washer fluid tank which I really don't want to do. I'd much rather have it trunk mounted than there. So Zach, where did you get your kit and where did you buy the tank for it (what size did you get also) and do you need to buy longer lines or will the ones that come with the kit reach?

Devil's own site....
http://www.alcohol-injection.com/wat...age-2-106.html
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

I bought the kit from my sponsor at www.ottperformance.com They have a great deal on there progressive kits, and also there tanks. I believe the lines are long enough to go from the trunk to the engine bay, but I didn't use the stock hosing, its kind of a long story. I do know josh bought extra hosing, but I don't know if it was necessary or not.

I recommend a 1 gallon tank, or a 5 gallon tank, not the 2 quart tank. 2 quarts is way to small. Also, check it frequently as running out of methanol on an aggressive tune could be bad.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:33 PM

I have the Coolingmist progressive in my truck. The controller is fully adjustable with 10 user selectable maps on the fly. Way too much stuff to mess with. I am running 24GPM though and need to be able to adjust for lower boost or it will shut down the engine. Coolingmist is also offering a lifetime warranty on their kits. If you need a link to a great price on them, let me know.

I know some guys that run 100% meth but anything over 50 and you are playing with fire... literally. Methanol burns clear and will flash up just like gas. Remember Ricky Bobby?

I know when I get my kit for the car it will be non progressive and probably a 4gpm nozzle. Set it and forget it, you can fine tune if you want with nozzle sizes.

JMHO.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Banned

Don't set it and forget about it. Set it and check it every day in case you run out of methanol. There's nothing wrong with running 100% methanol imo. However, Methanol doesn't cool as well as water does.

If you are not going to advance your timing, or you don't need the extra octane it is better to just use 100% distilled water, or windshield washer fluid for the simplicity. Windshield washer fluid is roughly a 40/60 mix of meth/water. If you want a 50/50 mix add a couple bottles of HEET.

Water cools better than methanol but methanol will increase the octane which helps with detonation and will help for the timing advancement etc.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:46 PM

So what would you recommend filling it with? I know people out there have used BoostJuice but idk if that needs the distilled water too. Especially starting out, I'd rather go with a safer mix than going more aggressive and risking something happening.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zach06CobaltSC
Don't set it and forget about it. Set it and check it every day in case you run out of methanol. There's nothing wrong with running 100% methanol imo. However, Methanol doesn't cool as well as water does.
I didnt mean it that way. Once you get it tuned for it, dont mess with it. The reason you stated above is why I like using washer fluid tanks.... the light comes on when its low so you dont have to worry about checking your trunk.

A lot of guys run 100% meth but me, personally, I would not. If you have the trunk mount you have a pretty much a big ol' gas can in the back. Plus the connectors are push-lock for all the hoses and its real easy to get a leak at one.

I would not spend the cash on boost juice. Just go to the race track or speed shop and they will tell you where to get methanol. It was just 3.95 a gallon the other day for me. For 2$ you can make boost juice which sells for a whole lot more.

If you are running washer fluid make sure you shake it to check for foamy stuff. That usually has soap in it. -20* fluid is 32% methanol according to the MSDS on the stuff I use.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Banned

I recommend using a mixture of 50% methanol and 50% distilled water. DO NOT USE REGULAR WATER it is
corrosive.

Windshield washer fluid can also turn your supercharger a bluish green. No joke.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 AM

^^Psychedelic supercharger haha. I think 50/50 would definitely be what I'd start out with.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:31 AM

u suck ross lol just got back from york, pa man it was a hike
Old 08-31-2008, 12:32 AM

^^I was wondering when one of you guys would find this haha. See ya in the chat thread (you threadjacker haha)
Old 08-31-2008, 10:16 AM

I don't see why people have issues with using the washer fluid tank. It holds atleast 1.5 gal, if not a smidge more. It isn't going to hurt anything spraying 50/50 on your windshield. Hell half the time it is going to evaporate quick if you use it driving down the road or whatever.

My non-progressive kit works perfect. Got a damn good price on it, new, lifetime warranty. I could probably bump to a 4 or 5 gph nozzle but I don't feel like screwing with it. It works how i want it to work. I even brake boosted the car to test the boost switch and I can't even tell when it kicks on at 7.5 psi and it pushes it full blast (150 psi). I really dont see why you would need/want a progressive kit on these cars.

I recommend using a mixture of 50% methanol and 50% distilled water. DO NOT USE REGULAR WATER it is
corrosive.

Windshield washer fluid can also turn your supercharger a bluish green. No joke.
Zach is right... use distilled. it was a buck a gal when I got it at the store.

3.95 for a gal of 100% methanol, 1 buck for a gal of distilled. For 10 bucks I got 4 gal of 50/50. Can't beat that.

Last edited by BriantheLion26; 08-31-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-31-2008, 10:32 AM

Easy enough, hit up the supermarket for some distilled water, then I guess a speedshop or something for the meth? Just gotta find a place around here that sells it.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
Easy enough, hit up the supermarket for some distilled water, then I guess a speedshop or something for the meth? Just gotta find a place around here that sells it.
Yep yep. Tracks should sell it too if they sell race gas.

4 gal of 50/50 even using it on my windshield here and there will last me a year. I figured it out.. I can go about 30 minutes WOT before my washer fluid tank will go bone dry... that is a LOT of driving...
Old 08-31-2008, 10:42 AM

Try putting 100% methanol on your paint, let me know what happens brian lol. I have the dual pass option b, so Tom and I really didn't have a place to mount the devils own kit in the engine bay. So we just used the trunk, under the carpet in the wheel well. It takes up NO space in the trunk, minus the tank which is really small. I would go trunk mount as it also keeps the methanol cooler then in the warm engine bay.

Brian was dead on with the progressive vs non progressive diagnosis. I recommend progressive because if you are daily driving and accidentally hit low boost, it will spray a small amount to keep the temps even cooler. So that way it sprays when you are at like lets say 5psi starting, and full at 10psi. That is what mines set for.

However my iat2s hit 150 on a 90 degree day. I need to figure out whats up with that.
how much cooler are we talking? would the temp without the meth be enough to damage the car at low boost daily driving conditions?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:48 AM

^^Good question

Originally Posted by BriantheLion26
Yep yep. Tracks should sell it too if they sell race gas.

4 gal of 50/50 even using it on my windshield here and there will last me a year. I figured it out.. I can go about 30 minutes WOT before my washer fluid tank will go bone dry... that is a LOT of driving...
Oh wow that's pretty damn good. I'm looking at buying a 2.5 gallon tank because a 2-quart tank just seems really small. And Atco Raceway is like 3 minutes from my house so maybe I'll swing by there one day and see if they sell it.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
there are several reasons to run a progressive controller. lets put it this way, would you set your injectors up to at a certain boost level (lets say 5psi) just open 100% and dump fuel into the engine??? no you wouldnt do this, itll burn black, wash the rings out and use exess fuel. same reason to run a progressive kit. you need to remember that your not just injecting water into your engine for cooling, you are injecting a fuel (methanol). you can get away with a non progressive kit with small nozzles, but once you want to run a larger nozzle its going to cause more issues.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:40 PM

^are you saying you can't tune for a non progressive kit for it to kick on at a certain rpm?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalttc05
^are you saying you can't tune for a non progressive kit for it to kick on at a certain rpm?
Both kits are boost sensitive. You set the non-progressive to whatever you want it to kick on and it does its thing. The progressive has a low end to start spraying and a top end to be at full pressure. Neither are RPM based. You want it boost activated.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:40 PM
Banned

Exactly. Having a progressive kit just lets you have basically 2 different spray levels. Lets say your driving in traffic and hit boost, you get a nice little spray. You go out and race, hit WOT you have a full spray.
I have mine setup to start spraying at 5psi and full spray at 10psi. I instantly hit 10psi as soon as I slam the gas down.

Anyways, methanol injection is great because without it, you really can't drop pulley sizes and or increase your timing because of octane/heat issues.

Cobalttc05 - It really depends on what pulley size you are running. If you have a 2.8 or lower meth is HIGHLY recommend in my opinion. However I do not think you will damage your engine with daily driving in traffic on a non progressive kit. A lot of it is also in the tune. But if you drop below a 2.9 pulley, go with methanol to keep it safe.

Basically the progressive kit, just allows me to spray whenever I want. I have the controller mounted in my car on the dash, so its a simple turn of a knob.

Last edited by Zach06CobaltSC; 08-31-2008 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-01-2008, 03:26 PM

thanks for clearing that up, so basically if your planning on going big or going home you need the progressive kit

Quick Reply: Meth Questions/Help