Cobalt SS Network

Cobalt SS Network (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/)
-   2.0L LSJ Performance Tech (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/)
-   -   SS/SC intakes (https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/ss-sc-intakes-15911/)

Orange06Supercharged 08-23-2006 04:56 PM

hey guys... does anyone know where i can get a good short ram intake without causing a CEL. i'm really just looking for a louder supercharger wine without buying a cai or cutting the factory airbox.

portergraph 08-24-2006 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by KeystoneSC
Thanks!

I had the same issue at first. As long as you start from the front on the bottom, work around the side, then up the wheel well, pulling it into alignment as you go, you will have an easier time of it.

My 2 cents - I just turned/bent the lower flat portion back against the front of the wheel well - its pretty flexible I feel, no stress lines on the plastic. It doesn't appear to be pushing much at all on the filter either. I also keep the drycharger on there as well. I drove it through the rain today (hit a couple puddles, wasn't trying) and when I got home, I checked the filter and it was dry... Having the lower part attached kinda defeats the purpose of the CAI, don't it?

FYI - I'm still learning...

ameaglemike 08-29-2006 05:50 PM

That air box mod is one of those "WELL DUH!" types of mods. I have no idea why I didn't think of that. GENIUS!!

SSCobalt~SSZ24 08-29-2006 05:53 PM

is the whining sounds gonna be as loud with the AIR BOX MOD as it would be with an aftermarket intake? im sure it would right?

Superdave420 08-29-2006 06:29 PM

I did the AEM thing.. but now am thinking that a full metal intake might help to amplify the noise where I think the plastic duct "dampens" the noise.. just my 2 cents.

hind sight tells me I should have went Injen..... oh well.

motogp34 08-29-2006 11:40 PM

Cobalt SS

Whats a good cold air intake to get, and do i have to worry about any warning codes coming up? I live in Canada would that make any differance in my choice because of snow?

+JohnnyBoy- 08-31-2006 05:16 PM

I'm gonna break the whole "no questions" rule and ask one..

Any noticeable changes to gas mileage? My ss/sc is a daily driver and I'd like to do the intake/exhaust, but if I'm going to get 15 mpg in exchange I'll pass until I get a winter beater.

Alex47 08-31-2006 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by +JohnnyBoy-

Any noticeable changes to gas mileage? My ss/sc is a daily driver and I'd like to do the intake/exhaust, but if I'm going to get 15 mpg in exchange I'll pass until I get a winter beater.

You will get better gas mileage

Superdave420 09-01-2006 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by +JohnnyBoy-

I don't know how accurate my DIC is (hehehe) but I routinely see it at 35-36 MPG while cruising on the highway with cruise control. I only have the AEM CAI at the moment.

splink 09-01-2006 11:10 AM

all you states suck with no hills...:lol: :lol:

i live in pa...if you arent driving on a hill then you are stopped somewhere...25-26 mpg is what i see...mostly highway

Superdave420 09-01-2006 11:33 AM

LOL yeah the Silicon Valley in California is mostly flat land. :-)

BLKSS 09-01-2006 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by motogp34
Cobalt SS

Whats a good cold air intake to get, and do i have to worry about any warning codes coming up? I live in Canada would that make any differance in my choice because of snow?

Its not unusual for any intake to throw a code on the SS/SC. I decided to keep mt stock air box and filter for that very reason. Oh, and I love racing cars and claiming mine is stock because technically it is, sound wise ;)

splink 09-01-2006 11:40 AM

when i bought mine the window sticker rated it at 23-29mpg. im seeing 25-26 so im happy. superdave...was your rated the same as mine or higher? wondering if the ratings are based on location...

Superdave420 09-01-2006 11:53 AM

I have to check my window sticker, It may be that Chevy ratres it at the min average to be safe. My vaccum gage is about 20" of Vaccum when getting this mileage. when crusing down hill it goes into the 40's.

my window sticker is in my glove box still so I'll go check and write back.

Also I have not seen a CEL yet. the AEM intake has the Sensor in the same location as the stock.

splink 09-01-2006 12:51 PM

yeah...i have no CEL as of yet either...K&N intake on my car

darrend3 09-01-2006 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by splink
all you states suck with no hills...:lol: :lol:

i live in pa...if you arent driving on a hill then you are stopped somewhere...25-26 mpg is what i see...mostly highway

i totally agree i live in austin tx and it is so hilly out here i get 23 mpg ALL city TERRIBLE stop start stop on a hill then start then again and again and again finally your at school haha its so shittie

Superdave420 09-01-2006 01:22 PM

ah man that sucks..

Hind sight.. I think I should have got a Injen CAI because I beleive the full metal tube would amplify the blower noise.. (yeah I love the blower whine) I think with the AEM kit the plastic ducting helps dampen the noise.

R&C_rallySS 09-04-2006 07:35 PM

I have not seen the AEM CAI yet. Anyone have some pics? I only seen them for the non SC Cobalts...

ameaglemike 09-06-2006 12:02 AM

Hey I did that Air Box Mod on my car and it worked out BEAUTIFULLY!!!! Once again, I just wanted to say thanks for the "well-duh" thing I should have figured out in the first place!!!!

ameaglemike 09-06-2006 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
I have not seen the AEM CAI yet. Anyone have some pics? I only seen them for the non SC Cobalts...

Yes, the AEM CAI for the SS/SC is 21-532, then a "b" for blue, "r" for red, and a "s" for silver. You can get them through AEM directly or (I manage my own NAPA Auto Parts) and I found out that you can get them thru Arrowspeed Warehouse.

Mike

Superdave420 09-06-2006 11:52 AM

it's kind of funny about the color options... you can't even see the colored pipe once installed.

I got all excited when I ordered the Blue version and the online pic showed a full size metal tube. lol then I open the box and it was a stumpy little pipe. at least the MAF is in the factory location along the length of pipe....

TurboTechRacing 09-06-2006 01:14 PM

Just for reference, as many have asked, we again have many 2.0 SS SC Injen intakes IN STOCK in black and polished! FREE SHIPPING still applies :)

astrocrep 09-06-2006 04:01 PM

Where (what address) do we send the Old pipe back to Injen at. For the RMA process.

Thanks,
Rich

BallsoutBalt 09-06-2006 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gregg K
Whats the best intake for a 06 ss supercharged

Ijust ordered the Fijita. 3" just makes sence. I would have loved to get the JBP, but they are back ordered for a month.

TurboTechRacing 09-06-2006 04:10 PM

The Fujita is good but we have many complaints about the fitment of it. Performance is great, they need to work on the fitment though.