2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

victory_red_SS goes RWD

Old 07-04-2007, 07:31 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
it's t-76 Q-trim .96 a/r if you want to contact turbonetics on the exacts... the serial number is 18866 I think. Big shaft, ceramic ball bearing setup... I know it puts out like 1200cfm at 12psi or something rediculous like that
Paul, just to let you know, the Garrett GT-45 is already in route so I guess the t-76 goes into your Monte.

UPDATE
Here are a couple of pics of the custom bellhousing we are submitting for SFI approval. We expect to get only pieces back, if even that much after their testing.
If you compare this bellhousing to the one from McCloud, this one looks much more capable of withstanding a major blast.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woo.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:36 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Latest update

So the latest news on my project is that the backend of the car is cut-out. The rear 4-link suspension kit is all measured up and the parts should be on the way.
We are going with a fully adjustable coil-over on the back with the custom axles, 9" Ford rear-end and a wildwood brake kit. This kit will come as a complete kit for the car.
We are also having the 4-link being designed to run in a line that lines up closer to the top of the wheel tubs to allow for street driving handling. The goal is to retain as much handling ability as these cars have from the factory. Yes, this is proving to be a challenge.
The next thing we had to deal with was the company producing the custom crankshaft. Due to the startup cost of creating the new crank, two cranks needed to be produced to recover their cost. Because of that I chose to purchase the second crank as well as a second engine. The plan is to build a spare but we will do this over time and likely with the help of sponsors.
Lastly (for now), we are close to getting a sponsorship deal with Konig for the wheels that I will use for the street tires. As well, if this goes through, Konig is very interested in having the car in their booth at SEMA. Once we have more pictures to send them they will make their decision.
I hope to have pictures next week.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
why a 9 inch?
why not build a ford 8.8 with 35 spline axles, basically a big nasty one capable of holding stupid amounts of power.

the reason i say this, it takes less power to turn the 8.8 then it does a 12 bolt or the power sucking 9 inch
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by Area47
why a 9 inch?
why not build a ford 8.8 with 35 spline axles, basically a big nasty one capable of holding stupid amounts of power.

the reason i say this, it takes less power to turn the 8.8 then it does a 12 bolt or the power sucking 9 inch
The concensus has been that the 9" is the one thing Ford did right. Everyone (that I talked to) in the racing business all agreed with using that rear so I deferred to their knowledge and experience.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
The concensus has been that the 9" is the one thing Ford did right. Everyone (that I talked to) in the racing business all agreed with using that rear so I deferred to their knowledge and experience.
okie dokie.

there is a couple mustang guys here deep in the 8's on built 8.8's

then again, i have seen people destroy them all off a transbrake. lol
get it done man!
Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
9" ford is the **** man.... I even swap em into chevy's lol.
but damn man, finally some real progress for ya Rod, must be happy as hell.

BTW that bellhousing looks like they made it out of 12" sch 40 erw pipe man.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

9" ford is the **** man.... I even swap em into chevy's lol.
but damn man, finally some real progress for ya Rod, must be happy as hell.

It does doesn't it?
They didn't take the time to make it pretty because it has been sent of for SFI testing and it will only be scrap metal after that. The next one will look a bit nicer, but still out of the sewer pipe.
And yes some progress is being made, and I will be real happy when the pics arrive.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM

lol nice... (I work in the plumbing supply business btw)
Old 07-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
That made me LOL. I work for a marine exhaust company and I started seeing pipes and mufflers looking at that thing.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:28 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Latest news

Here's the latest news.
The testing for the Supercooler is underway. Over the last weekend testing was done to see how the unit would run and how much current it will draw. This is all being done prior to being installed in a SS/SC for the road test. During the test there was an ambient temperature of 26C. The unit managed to produce a temperature of -13C for a difference of 39 degrees celsius. There were also a few discoveries that will now be incorporated this week and the expectation is that the cooling power will be increased substantially. I will post more as those results come back.
Other news.
The clutch and custom bellhousing have been shipped to SFI, for testing and approval.
I have now bought and received a spare motor that will be built up after it is used for the design of the engine bay's cradle and chassis. I am also working on getting a second T-56 through sponsorship. With both of these components on hand, I will not be so concerned about going all out once we get this car on the race track.
We have chosen to go with a totally different water pump that is has a very high flow capacity. This pump flows better than what is being used on the Phase 5 Cobalts. For now we are keeping the maker under wraps but this is one fine piece in both function and looks.
We are also getting rid of both the PCM and BCM in favour of total control over all electronics. I will have 2 PCM's available for sale soon enough. I am still waiting on the total list of what isn't needed from the stock parts.
Here is a picture of the Supercooler on the test bench.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the latest news.
The testing for the Supercooler is underway. Over the last weekend testing was done to see how the unit would run and how much current it will draw. This is all being done prior to being installed in a SS/SC for the road test. During the test there was an ambient temperature of 26C. The unit managed to produce a temperature of -13C for a difference of 39 degrees celsius. There were also a few discoveries that will now be incorporated this week and the expectation is that the cooling power will be increased substantially. I will post more as those results come back.
Other news.
The clutch and custom bellhousing have been shipped to SFI, for testing and approval.
I have now bought and received a spare motor that will be built up after it is used for the design of the engine bay's cradle and chassis. I am also working on getting a second T-56 through sponsorship. With both of these components on hand, I will not be so concerned about going all out once we get this car on the race track.
We have chosen to go with a totally different water pump that is has a very high flow capacity. This pump flows better than what is being used on the Phase 5 Cobalts. For now we are keeping the maker under wraps but this is one fine piece in both function and looks.
We are also getting rid of both the PCM and BCM in favour of total control over all electronics. I will have 2 PCM's available for sale soon enough. I am still waiting on the total list of what isn't needed from the stock parts.
Here is a picture of the Supercooler on the test bench.

so does that bad boy piggy back to the A/C?

tell us more about how it functions? PLEAAAAAAAAASE

WHere's My TICKET. I need notice to plan..... (inside joke guys)
Old 07-18-2007, 10:56 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by ssnipes
so does that bad boy piggy back to the A/C?

tell us more about how it functions? PLEAAAAAAAAASE

WHere's My TICKET. I need notice to plan..... (inside joke guys)
Because of the dry sump and the roll cgae at the firewall, I had to say to the AC.
This unit has many special modules that produce about 800 watts of cooling power at the flick of a switch. there will be two lines going in and two lines going out which the sends that much cooler coolant to the new intercooler which is a true 6 pass intercooler with over 3 times the capacity of the stocker. When we hit the street we are expecting to have the coolest running Cobalt, bar none.

As for the ticket, I don't have a firm date yet and it's a sure thing the car won't be done for my early September birthday.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Banned

I realize you are going for uniqueness but does cost have a ceiling? I would think after $50,000 it's time to ditch the project and buy a Z06 and put some form of F/I on it since praticallity and comforts are all thrown out the window.

Good luck with everything once again.

-Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by sneaky
I realize you are going for uniqueness but does cost have a ceiling? I would think after $50,000 it's time to ditch the project and buy a Z06 and put some form of F/I on it since praticallity and comforts are all thrown out the window.

Good luck with everything once again.

-Mike
Mike, the only comfort I am losing is A/C. Everything else will either be the same or upgraded.
As far as the Vette goes, I would just be another guy with a Vette. Considering the cost of this car yes I could buy a Z06, but for it to be as fast as this car would require lots more money. I would then have to totally cage the car and put in the same things that the NHRA wants for this car. Would you do that to a brand new Z06?
After everything is done, which gets more noticed, a fast Z06 or the RWD Cobalt kicking the Z06's ass??? The reason for answer that question is because the serious sponsors are starting to lineup simply because of the uniqueness of this project. That translates into huge savings for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Mike, the only comfort I am losing is A/C. Everything else will either be the same or upgraded.
As far as the Vette goes, I would just be another guy with a Vette. Considering the cost of this car yes I could buy a Z06, but for it to be as fast as this car would require lots more money. I would then have to totally cage the car and put in the same things that the NHRA wants for this car. Would you do that to a brand new Z06?
After all was done which gets more noticed a fast Z06 or the RWD Cobalt kicking the Z06's ass??? The reason for answer that question is because the serious sponsors are starting to lineup simply because of the uniqueness of this project. That translates into huge savings for me.
Saving money is a good thing ha ha. I hope they are helping you out a lot because you surely are the first to do something this crazy. I hope things go well.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

I admire the fact that you've remained with this project for so long but by the time you have it done your car will be 4-5 years old and most likely paid off waiting around. I won't have the patience to wait as long as you have.

Tell Mev and friends to hurry up.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:23 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by BriantheLion26
Saving money is a good thing ha ha. I hope they are helping you out a lot because you surely are the first to do something this crazy. I hope things go well.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by sneaky
I admire the fact that you've remained with this project for so long but by the time you have it done your car will be 4-5 years old and most likely paid off waiting around. I won't have the patience to wait as long as you have.

Tell Mev and friends to hurry up.
I am booked to fly to Toronto Aug. 10-12 and I will be pushing all the way until then.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 AM

victory, will you be entering pro/ semi-pro racing with this car, or is it just for your own enjoyment?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
victory, will you be entering pro/ semi-pro racing with this car, or is it just for your own enjoyment?
To start off with I will be going to the local test & tune days and street legal nights.
From there, and after practicing to learn how to drive this beast full out, I will go to the nearby tracks and enter in the NHRA Super Street/Comp/Gas races.
My plan is not to follow the circuit around. I will race on weekends where it is close. Mission, Ashcroft and Seattle are closest and I will also show up at the tracks in Edmonton and Calgary ( I am from Alberta)
I have no delusions of being a championship racer, I am going out for purely my own enjoyment. I just happen to want to enjoy racing some very fast cars.

And just in case someone is wondering, no I will never go on Pinks.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:36 AM

And just in case someone is wondering, no I will never go on Pinks.

i would go just to see if rich falls off a bike again. that was hillarious
Old 07-18-2007, 11:52 AM

Looks like a huge Peltier connected to an aluminum box. Yay for thermal electric cooling!

Where did you find such a beast?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:11 PM

damn man... progress.... good good
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM

its a diesel huge peltier cooler, badass
Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM

Yea, I thought it was a TEC when I saw it too. Actually, I'm willing to bet money it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: victory_red_SS goes RWD