2.0L LSJ Performance Tech 205hp Supercharged SS tuner version. 200 lb-ft of torque.

Where's my 7000 rpm's ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for chiming in, Clint. The info is very useful. By the way, that was me that made the 5-10 minute comment on the belt, and I stand by it. Granted, that was with 2 people, one to push the tensioner and one to slip the belt off and on. Alone, I can see that job taking a whole lot longer. I don't know if the techs there help each other out or not, as sometimes it's too busy, or it's just simpler to have one man to a job unless it absolutely requires 2.

I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've done a belt on a Cobalt, as well as some other cars. I try to do what maintenance I can to save myself some $$$ down the road, you know? It's not like my old Pontiac where it circles the motor mount or anything. *That* particular job was a true PITA.

Regardless, thanks to you and Oni for helping clarify and fix the issue Back2GM had, and as well for your future input.

Edit: As a note as well, I also bought my car at Bill Heard, along with Oni, and I take it there when stuff needs to be done. Good to know you're back there.

Last edited by Tomtwtwtw; 09-07-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Thank you for chiming in, Clint. The info is very useful. By the way, that was me that made the 5-10 minute comment on the belt, and I stand by it. Granted, that was with 2 people, one to push the tensioner and one to slip the belt off and on. Alone, I can see that job taking a whole lot longer. I don't know if the techs there help each other out or not, as sometimes it's too busy, or it's just simpler to have one man to a job unless it absolutely requires 2.

I'm no mechanic by any means, but I've done a belt on a Cobalt, as well as some other cars. I try to do what maintenance I can to save myself some $$$ down the road, you know? It's not like my old Pontiac where it circles the motor mount or anything. *That* particular job was a true PITA.

Regardless, thanks to you and Oni for helping clarify and fix the issue Back2GM had, and as well for your future input.
i think what he is referring to is the belt assembly ie pulley setup. He mentioned that after a new pulley setup is installed it becomes incredibly easier to swap pulley rings of the same size though in reference to that information if your installing a stage 2 from a stock car I am sure it can take quite a bit of effort to complete
Old 09-07-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
i think what he is referring to is the belt assembly ie pulley setup. He mentioned that after a new pulley setup is installed it becomes incredibly easier to swap pulley rings of the same size though in reference to that information if your installing a stage 2 from a stock car I am sure it can take quite a bit of effort to complete

That's true. I helped one of the redline guys install the stage 2 hub with just the pulley puller, and that was truely a handful. But the modular system is great! The rings change out so easily once you get that thing mounted. That took the brunt of the time - getting the stock ring off and getting the new one on.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
damn I got the pulley swap down to a science... I think it took me a little over 30min to do the pulley swap, remove and reinstall s/c and stgII belt
Old 09-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Screwdriver, push down tensioner, slip belt off, re-route, slip back on? I could do it in 2
Old 09-07-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
damn I got the pulley swap down to a science... I think it took me a little over 30min to do the pulley swap, remove and reinstall s/c and stgII belt
If the pulley puller goes like planned. Some are tight as hell. Also I could see problems removing the injectors if you dont follow the steps
Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
true... I haven't had injectors take me over 20-25 min yet (did about 7-8 swaps already) pretty straightfoward
Old 09-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
true... I haven't had injectors take me over 20-25 min yet (did about 7-8 swaps already) pretty straightfoward
That's was my problem... guy had never worked on a SS/SC (Didn't know at the time), in fact no one had (I'm one of the only ones in town) and didn't follow the instructions... or even look at them for that matter... until he tried for 30 min to an hour to pull the stock pulley off by hand. As you can read in my previous statement in this thread. There were a lot of times I noticed were "wrong". When they told me the price it seemed right... 4 hours of work - $407 ($384+tax... ONLY because I was use to the Pontiac place across town (Labor is like $95/hr). BUT, when I discovered that the Reflash was not done... It rang a bell... so I had them give me the detailed list of times (Refer to previous post).

Since then, it's gone to hell for me. Stage2 has become more of a hassle then something fun that I can enjoy. I ALWAYS go to this dealership. My problem I guess is that I know what it is like to be on that side... I work for an ATV, Crotchrocket, Dirt bike place... so I have a hard time yelling and saying "You don't know what you are doing... I'm being overcharged... ARRRRGG!"

But I am going to give myself a little time to cool down... and then I am going to approach them with the issue. And GMWORLDCLASS, I'd appreciate some input from you... Look at my install times. Everyone is saying injectors should only take half an hour... hour tops... then why did mine take 1.7? Is that someone doing it for the first time... or is that someone not knowing what they are doing?

Sorry for the rant.... But I need help

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 09-07-2006 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
That's was my problem... guy had never worked on a SS/SC (Didn't know at the time), in fact no one had (I'm one of the only ones in town) and didn't follow the instructions... or even look at them for that matter... until he tried for 30 min to an hour to pull the stock pulley off by hand. As you can read in my previous statement in this thread. There were a lot of times I noticed were "wrong". When they told me the price it seemed right... 4 hours of work - $407 ($384+tax... ONLY because I was use to the Pontiac place across town (Labor is like $95/hr). BUT, when I discovered that the Reflash was not done... It rang a bell... so I had them give me the detailed list of times (Refer to previous post).

Since then, it's gone to hell for me. Stage2 has become more of a hassle then something fun that I can enjoy. I ALWAYS go to this dealership. My problem I guess is that I know what it is like to be on that side... I work for an ATV, Crotchrocket, Dirt bike place... so I have a had time yelling and saying "You don't know what you are doing... I'm being overcharged... ARRRRGG!"

But I am going to give myself a little time to cool down... and then I am going to approach them with the issue. And GMWORLDCLASS, I'd appreciate some input from you... Look at my install times. Everyone is saying injectors should only take half an hour... hour tops... then why did mine take 1.7? Is that someone doing it for the first time... or is that someone not knowing what they are doing?

Sorry for the rant.... But I need help
They are simply quoting customer pay labor times, I retrieved these from Alldata.com
Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help BILL HEARD CHEVROLET

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:

Conversion Calculator

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt L4-2.0L SC VIN P
Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Fuel Injector Parts Information

Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Fuel Injector
Injector 12790827 $59.74 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Fuel Injector
Replace
One B 0.8 1.1 Notes
Each Additional B 0.0 0.2 Notes
All B 0.0 1.6 Notes

Š 2006 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Conversion Calculator

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Fuel Delivery and Air Induction Supercharger Parts Information

Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Supercharger
Supercharger 12584331 $1732.51 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Supercharger
Replace B 1.1 1.5 Notes

Terms of Use

Conversion Calculator

Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Drive Belt Parts Information

Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Drive Belt
Serpentine Belt 12585151 $38.23 Notes
Contact dealer for most current part and price information.

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Drive Belt
Replace
Serpentine Belt C 0.9 1.3 Notes

Terms of Use

Conversion Calculator

Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Spark Plug Labor Times

Labor Times

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Spark Plug
Replace C 0.0 0.6 Notes

Terms of Use Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help BILL HEARD CHEVROLET

Conversion Calculator

Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Engine Control Module Parts Information

Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
Engine Control Module
ECM 12597520 $495.08 Notes

Labor Skill
Level Mfg.
Warranty Standard
Engine Control Module
Replace
ECM B 0.7 0.9 Notes
Reset
ECM, Reprogram B 0.4 0.6 Notes

Terms of Use

The higher number refers to "customer pay" labor. Not accounting for overlaps it's easy to see how they add up to 5.6 hours when you add spark plugs to the mix. So like I stated earlier, 4.0 hours labor is quite reasonable without spark plugs, 4.6 with plugs. If you pay less, good for you. If you pay more than 5.0 without plugs or 5.6 with plugs, try to negotiate.

Clint
Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM

Just asking for a quick update as to the rev limiter. People who have gone back to the dealer to get it reflashed, is it in fact a 7000 rpm limiter???

I am going to the dealer after class to get my stage 2 reflashed.

Back2GM, is your stage 2 rev limiter 7000 after you got the reflash??

Thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 PM

my stage 2 had a 7k rev limit immediatly after i drove it off the lot after the install
Old 09-07-2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ggarcia86
my stage 2 had a 7k rev limit immediatly after i drove it off the lot after the install

If you read earlier in the thread, some of us got a BAD stage 2 tune over the weekend. I was wondering if any of those people have gone to get the problem fixed and if it corrected the rev limiter to 7000
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Yes... my Rev Limiter is now 7000. They actually NEVER reflashed mine... didn't know he had to. Till I brought up the fact that my Rev limiter was still at 6500.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM

Gotta love those incompitant dealers!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by TMRRedline
If you read earlier in the thread, some of us got a BAD stage 2 tune over the weekend. I was wondering if any of those people have gone to get the problem fixed and if it corrected the rev limiter to 7000
Yes, BACK2GM got an improper tune, but now has the proper flash and has the 7,000 rev limiter.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:25 PM

So, mine was reflashed and the dealer had me contact Chevy customer care. They are investigating and said they'll contact me next Tuesday. My case is a bit strange. Some times it seems to 'hesitate around 6500 and then continue to 7k, others it goes straight to 7k no prob (I'd say about 80% of the time it goes to 7k as normal). I think there was one other person in this thread saying this happens to them. I'll post back with what they say.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:36 PM

I would just like to finish out my problem w/ the Stage 2.

Went and got it reflashed and now the rev limiter is cutting at 7000 like its supposed to!!! Only took the dealer about 2 hrs (they were busy) and the problem was fixed. So I have a complete Stage 2 now!!!

Car feels smoother through RPM range and seems to pull alittle harder, but not much.

So thanks Oni for your info and I hope the rest of you get your rev limiter problems fixed.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike06cobalt
So, mine was reflashed and the dealer had me contact Chevy customer care. They are investigating and said they'll contact me next Tuesday. My case is a bit strange. Some times it seems to 'hesitate around 6500 and then continue to 7k, others it goes straight to 7k no prob (I'd say about 80% of the time it goes to 7k as normal). I think there was one other person in this thread saying this happens to them. I'll post back with what they say.
you might be experiencing the issue with the tach being ~500rpm off due to the slow instrumentation panel communication link. There might be a fix for that and you shouldn't have to pay for it since the issue also occurs with stock cars though stage 2 appears to amplify the issue
Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by TMRRedline
I would just like to finish out my problem w/ the Stage 2.

Went and got it reflashed and now the rev limiter is cutting at 7000 like its supposed to!!! Only took the dealer about 2 hrs (they were busy) and the problem was fixed. So I have a complete Stage 2 now!!!

Car feels smoother through RPM range and seems to pull alittle harder, but not much.

So thanks Oni for your info and I hope the rest of you get your rev limiter problems fixed.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 PM

well I had the reflash done on09/05/2006 and I installed the injectors and the a 3.0 pulley from zz perfromance.You guys got me worried. I've shifted and definatly feel a difference but have not taken it to the full7000 yet . I will check mine as well . I know this for sure though I'm boosting toaround14-14.5psi. I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Well took it for a drive up to 7000rpm. No problem here.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
you might be experiencing the issue with the tach being ~500rpm off due to the slow instrumentation panel communication link. There might be a fix for that and you shouldn't have to pay for it since the issue also occurs with stock cars though stage 2 appears to amplify the issue
Well the only thing to dis-prove that would be that most of the time the car revs straight to 7k. Only a few times so far when the rpm's sort of hiccup around 6.5k so that makes me think this wouldn't be the case. Who knows...the guys is supposed to call me back tomorrow.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:28 PM

one of the guys on here (wheelhoppinss) has that happen every now and then... it will hit the stock limiter... and then be fine to 7k... odd
So I contacted GM about this and they are investigating. They were supposed to call me back this past Tuesday but didn't so I had to call them back on Wednesday (oddly enough he said they had a call back scheduled on Wed evening).

I had to reexplain the problem to the guy and get him to do the investigation for me...again. Says he's going to try to get in contact with the district rep for the my area (MN) and find out what to do. The guy isn't technical but says everyone he talks to thinks it's a programming bug somewhere.

He's now supposed to contact me tomorrow evening with an update. Hopefully I don't have to reexplain the symptoms again.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:36 PM

Ok I have access to an updated TEC2 to try and update my Stage reflash with the new TSB files, but I cannot find a way to reprogram. At Hyundai we use a Hi Scan similar to the TEC2 and all I have to do is pop in the reprog card with the updated reprog file and the upload it to the PCM.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mike06cobalt
So I contacted GM about this and they are investigating. They were supposed to call me back this past Tuesday but didn't so I had to call them back on Wednesday (oddly enough he said they had a call back scheduled on Wed evening).

I had to reexplain the problem to the guy and get him to do the investigation for me...again. Says he's going to try to get in contact with the district rep for the my area (MN) and find out what to do. The guy isn't technical but says everyone he talks to thinks it's a programming bug somewhere.

He's now supposed to contact me tomorrow evening with an update. Hopefully I don't have to reexplain the symptoms again.
So I finally heard back from the Chevy people and they are saying that a software patch is needed for a flaw in the ECU (I think that's what was reflashed) code. The customer service lady said she doesn't have an ETA for this, so I asked her to find someone who would and let me know how long I have to wait for it.

The good thing is that I haven't had this problem pop up again and I've been trying to reproduce it more often now. It seems to appear under certain circumstances.

Quick Reply: Where's my 7000 rpm's ??