jdbaugh1 official "build" thread - Page 14 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > 2.2L L61 Performance Tech
jdbaugh1 official "build" thread >

jdbaugh1 official "build" thread

2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

jdbaugh1 official "build" thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 AM

Using syncro parts from the Cavi trans I picked up with the Quaife LSD in it. Also discovered the plastic wear pads on my shift forks have worn completely off so need new shift forks as well. Interesting discovery though with the Cavi shaft vs. Cobalt shaft. The Cavalier shaft is shorter. I had always thought the internals were identical and only the casing/bell housing was different.

Cavi on top, Cobalt on bottom
Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

That is interesting... update if you find any other differences. I have a brand new cobalt 3.84 f23 I could sell you, shipping would suck tho.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:29 AM

Transmission shift forks came in and transmission shop should be done by Friday. Clutch and pressure plate will be delivered today. New Exedy lightweight flywheel, AEM Infinity series 5 ECU, AEM 5 bar map sensor and waterpump/timing chain kit came in yesterday. Will make a more detailed list later with part numbers. Thought I would share AEM's warning to me that I should not be attempting this project.

Also going to attempt to make my own wiring harness. I will plot a basic diagram before attempting anything with physical wire.I'm thinking I should mount the ECU in the cab on the passenger side. I'll probably bore a new hole in the firewall to route the main cable through. As a side note does anyone in here have recommendations of someone who would be willing to help me get started with an initial tune when if I actually end up getting this thing put back together?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

ZZP has some experience tuning with AEM infinity, other than that, Trevor Jolley also has one on Chris' race car.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 PM

My AEM is mounted on the firewall behind where the glovebox used to be. It cost some $$ But I have a MIL-SPEC bulkhead harness in the firewall, so that engine side the entire harness unplugs from the firewall and can go with the engine when it has to come out.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Foximus View Post
My AEM is mounted on the firewall behind where the glovebox used to be. It cost some $$ But I have a MIL-SPEC bulkhead harness in the firewall, so that engine side the entire harness unplugs from the firewall and can go with the engine when it has to come out.
I'm imaging you have a stubby main cable that goes from your ECU to your firewall. Then at your firewall you have a junction that joins the stubby cable to the engine harness? Mind sharing with me what component you used there?
Old 02-07-2019, 10:13 AM

Installed new water pump, wp/bs chain, guides, sprockets and tensioner. Installed flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch yesterday evening. Took TOB disengagement measurements. Came up with 2-15/32" from block mating surface to engagement point of pressure plate fingers and 2-21/32" to compressed TOB engagement surface to mating surface of transmission. The difference ends up being 3/16" of excess TOB travel which the
I watched said was perfect. Not sure if someone knows if GM lists the official specification somewhere?

Have many additional parts coming in. Hopefully progress as far as possible this weekend. Can only get so far without having the head back yet. Not sure when Trevor will be done with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdbaugh1 For This Useful Post:
armcclure (02-08-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Installed the transmission with a little help from a ratchet strap to support the weight while I slid it into position.

Installed AEM oil pressure sensor.

Bought some stainless steel spring stock to try and keep my intercooler hose from kinking.

Also tapped out my 1/2" supercharger spacer plate a bit deeper so the nozzle spray pattern would not hit the threaded bore which condensed the mist into large droplets.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:07 PM

Very nice progress!
The Following User Says Thank You to ProfDNS For This Useful Post:
jdbaugh1 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS View Post
Very nice progress!
Been pretty slow but I still don't have my head back so there is only so much progress I can make anyway. That's good though because I make less mistakes when I take my time if you can imagine that. Spent the whole day Sunday redoing my rats nest wiring that I had from all my gauges, water-circ pump, and methanol pump. I kept adding stuff and just splicing into existing wire so basically cut out all that crap and tidied it up. I'm powering my gauges off of a single relay and the pumps on a separate relay. Amazon sells these relays that comes with their own harness and they are really handy.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
Been pretty slow but I still don't have my head back so there is only so much progress I can make anyway. That's good though because I make less mistakes when I take my time if you can imagine that. Spent the whole day Sunday redoing my rats nest wiring that I had from all my gauges, water-circ pump, and methanol pump. I kept adding stuff and just splicing into existing wire so basically cut out all that crap and tidied it up. I'm powering my gauges off of a single relay and the pumps on a separate relay. Amazon sells these relays that comes with their own harness and they are really handy.
Absolutely. Might as well do it once and do it right. You have the A-Pillar gauges right?
Old 02-12-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ProfDNS View Post
Absolutely. Might as well do it once and do it right. You have the A-Pillar gauges right?
Yeah and one integrated into the instrument cluster. Boost, AFR, IAT2, and water/methanol failsafe gauge.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
Rewired my car too last summer (Meth, IC pump, WB02), if you want to clean up the power distribution this fuse block is pretty nice:
Amazon Amazon
I also got the multi-pack of relays with the plug and pigtails, seem to be working okay and easier to swap out at least.

I paralleled two relays to power the distribution block main input, ignition switched so everything is switched via ignition that is connected to it. (Ya that's a Slostice)
The Following User Says Thank You to steelmesh For This Useful Post:
jdbaugh1 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM

Yeah I like that, thanks for sharing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.