2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually. If you read around on the website, which i have because i was looking at the GTO, You should as optional items they offer different assorments of things like splash gaurd, tuning, etc. Also i've read somewhere, not sure where, that this is setup is actually better at spooling. I'll try to find it again and see if i can post it. But i think this would be a deffinite bonus for us. This company has pushed almost a 1000hp out of a GTO; they've got a good reputation. So i would cross my fingers instead of looking at all the downsides to it. But nice find for whoever did find it.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:40 PM

I think that gm high performance or car craft or one of those magazines did a write up on STS turbos, from what i have read and heared STS turbos have less lag then normal turbo setup, and if turbo exposured to the elements under the hood to so there is realli no difference, I like the idea of a rear mount turbo, more of a sleeper look to.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it would have a sleeper look with a kit. i got an aftermarket exhaust and it clearly shows underneath my car. i dont see how you can add this turbo and not have anyone notice. A drop would help to but thats putting the turbo in more danger.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:50 PM

I don't have a cobalt but I know the 2.2 Ecotec pretty well. Figured I'd throw in my two cents.

You should be able to use the megasquirt. Currently I run the megasquirt with the extra code to do fuel and spark although I do not have the spark stuff set up .... I just wanted the bigger tables. I replaced my stock injectors with resistors to fool the ecu into thinking the injectors were still there. The injectors I am running are controlled completely by the megasquirt and I was able to switch to low impedance which was a bonus. I drilled a spot for the extra clt sensor, put an extra ait sensor in my charge pipe and tapped the tps sensor for signal. Spark control is not manditory for lower boost levels, I've run as high as 15 psi with the stock spark maps .... although I don't know how mine would compare to yours, although I would expect them to be simular.

The hardest thing for me was the tach signal. I'm not sure if you guys have the same cop system as me but it's a pita. I built a small circuit to combine both signals wires into one and then ran that through a tach adapter to get the proper signal for the megesquirt.

Outside of that the only thing to do is run a vacuum signal. I also wired my wideband into the megasquirt to make data logging easier.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
okay...question time...
say i get a turbo (once tuning/turbos are released)
what do i NEED to run the car...(i have an automatic LS for the record...06)
wouldi need new injectors? new heads? ect?
a complete list would be greatly appreciated so i can see just how much i'd spend turboing my car....im figuring $3.5k+any mandatory upgrades
please help out guys
Old 10-11-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
okay...question time...
say i get a turbo (once tuning/turbos are released)
what do i NEED to run the car...(i have an automatic LS for the record...06)
wouldi need new injectors? new heads? ect?
a complete list would be greatly appreciated so i can see just how much i'd spend turboing my car....im figuring $3.5k+any mandatory upgrades
please help out guys
Not to toot my own horn, but this will answer alot of your questions that you just asked now and are probably still thinking:

The Ultimate ECOTEC Turbo FAQ

How To: Build your own ECOTEC Turbo Kit

Please read both fully and if you have any further questions, you may reach me privately or ask here. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:59 PM

there is a bolts on turbo kits for the 2.2 cobalt

Guys i have just finished researching online and i have found a turbo kit for the cobalts 2.2L

I am buying one here is the link http://www.maximumboost.net/index.ph...=21_44_148_272
have fun thank me later
Old 11-04-2006, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by venechamito
Guys i have just finished researching online and i have found a turbo kit for the cobalts 2.2L

I am buying one here is the link http://www.maximumboost.net/index.ph...=21_44_148_272
have fun thank me later
DO NOT BUY A MAXIMUM BOOST KIT! Please read the Turbo FAQ and you'll see why...this is for your own good.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by venechamito

have fun thank me later
actually, you'll thank us for warning you that you are giong to blow up your engine, and that maximum boost is a scam...

not for nothing, but you obviously did NOT research anything, or you would not have made such a silly post...
Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 PM

So whats the verdict? Im a little confused... is the maximum boost kit good or no? What about that setup that halfcent posted? Whats up with that?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by punkincobalt
So whats the verdict? Im a little confused... is the maximum boost kit good or no? What about that setup that halfcent posted? Whats up with that?
Maximum Boost is crap...plain and simple.

The kit Halfcent posted? The Garrett setup?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:33 PM

sorry- the STS system....good or no? Last someone talked about it was awhile ago. Was wondering if someone asked some questions or actually bought it.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no data on the STS system right now. I have been wanting to call the company that does their tuning, Nelson Performance, and ask what exactly they do. Maximum Boost is a joke. I really wish that name would just die already.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Cobalt Turbo 250+ HP

...Grr

Last edited by africaniris; 12-04-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by africaniris
"There are turbo charged Cobalts in the world. But none of them are street legal cars. They are all race cars."

Well get ready to hear about one...! I have a 2007 LT 2.2 that is about to get a turbo installed...just around 5PSI of boost. basically there is someone here in Colorado that works a lot on the Saturn Ion engines (as most of you probably know the Ion has the same exact Engine has there is a Turbo kit for it..) and he has been looking for someone to be a "test subject"...basically he is giving me a "discount" of some kind and free tuning on the dyno to make sure that it is set up right. All I need is to come up with the money (2600.00)....what do all you guys think ? I was informed that I would probably be the first in Colorado To have it.
It should increase about 50HP but then I will have the intercooler kit so overall about 90HP..probably being able to beet the Cobalt 2.0SS off the line... From my test he'll be able to make more kits for other customers. here is the specs :

Components:
- Garrett T3 Turbocharger
-Tial External Wastegate
-Manifold with wastegate welds
-Greddy Type S Blow Off Valve
-Charge Pipes (w/custom welds for blow off valve)
-Oil Feed Kit
-Oil Return Kit
-Vacuum Lines
-Manifold Gasket
-T3 Gasket
-Silicon Boots & Clamps
-Bolts, Nuts, Washers, & Necessary Hardware

The compressor wheel is a T3 60 trim and the compressor housing is a 42ar. The turbine side is a 48ar with a standard T3 flance.

I'd love to get all your opinions before I continue...
you wont beable to beat the 2.0SS off the line, you are forgetting about turbo lag. because it has to let the exhaust build up, turbos dont kick in the extra HP till about 60 ft from the line, in the 1/4mile yes i can believe you that you could beat one w/ a turbo. it will take more then just a turbo to beat an SS off the line. Like a ported and polished head, new high performance cams machined for a turbo, new valve train from turbotechracing.com, and lower compression pistons. not to mention that the plastic intake manifold we have on our engines will only beable to handle about 8 to 12 lbs of boost, and an intercooler does not add another 40hp, a stage 2 kit has an intercooler and on 4-6lbs of boost is 30-50hp gain, you want more hp get the aluminum intake manifold from gmpp and change out your internals and pump out 18lbs of boost, that will be a monster.

you should look at halfcents profile and look at his picture album, he has a picture of the garret kit and a picture of the dyno resaults, it only took the engine to 205 hp at the flywheel on the stage 2 kit, which translate to about 180 to 190 hp at the wheels, my friends yellow SS/SC dynoed in at 217hp at the wheels w/out any of the stage upgrades
Old 11-21-2006, 07:50 PM

first of all. this is a t3. These have very little lag. Considering these motors can handle 7psi safely. This thing would be fully spooled at 2000rpm. Even on a mildly moddified motor running 12psi, the turbo would be making enough boost to blow away an ss way before the 60f. The only time you get excessive lag is with a big snail turrning big boost, eg. 20psi or more
Old 11-22-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm old school

Actually, turbo lag in a drag launch depends on your launch technique. In an auto for instance, the brake torque will bring the engine RPM to stall speed of around 3000 RPM, which is where the turbo starts making it's peak torque. So it will launch off the line with a lot more power then the supercharger.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:26 AM

damn straight. which is why some people perfer to mate a turbo application to an auto tranny. you can leave the line in boost and get the whole shot quicker. Where as in a manual, nitrous is used to get past the lagg in a high boost app.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 PM

L 61 turbo

Well guys when someone finds a turbo that works for 2.2 balts just let me know
i am about to trade in because of lack of performance parts for my car, I am getting an SS/ SC on feb 07 its the last year for the SS/SC and it comes with traction control, so if anything comes before feb let me know!!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:46 PM

...umm....source? who said its the last year for the ss sc?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm old school

I don't have a definitive source either, which is why I haven't said anything.

But...

He speaks the truth.

LNF>LSJ
Old 11-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

I'm totally speaking on a rumor I've heard, but it might be the last cus the SS may go the turbo route? I dunno for sure
Old 11-29-2006, 12:22 AM

now what about the Saturn Ion? If it has the same engine, supposedly, wouldn't the turbo kits apply to the bolts? And what about specifics? what year ion? what model? I am very interested cause i really like my 2.2 and want to make it a well-balanced car; performance and prowess. First, of course, performance. I've heard a lot of rumors but i really want the facts. everything there is to know. Thats why this site rocks!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM

woulda been cool if they kept 3 SS models...the SS S/C, the SS N/A and the SS T/C
Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 AM

Yep, the IRL is dead, and the SS/SC will be gone after Oct./Nov. possibly sooner. Like Halfcent said LNF>LSJ FTW!

Quick Reply: L61 Turbo/Super (forced induction) Information Thread