2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

New Guy - Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Guy - Dumb Question

Hi guys, I'm trig, I'm 19 and I've had a white 2007 Cobalt LS for about 6 months.

Minus it's tiny interior (which I probably could have noticed before I bought it ), I love this car. My daily driver is a 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R, but I needed a car too, and this is what I got.

I have an odd ball question, and I guess I got caught off-guard until I had purchased the car.

I knew that on the 05 and 06 models said you were able to tow "up to 1000lbs", and didn't think about it being any different for a newer model, but apparently it is.

At first I was just gonna say screw it, if I burn up the clutch I'll just replace it with stock or aftermarket-still cheaper than another car, but I called GM just to verify, and it's the planetary gear that was causing problems.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't have any idea what a planetary gear is on a car, other than a basic idea of what it does from researching it. I was wanting to tow my bike on a small motorcycle trailer to track days, etc. and the GM guy said since that would only be about 700-800, he wouldn't really worry about it, but he wasn't gonna say it was "OK", so I don't want to void my whole warranty.

My question is, is there any aftermarket parts that can bring back that original 1000lbs towing cap., or does anybody know the cost of replacing a planetary gear, so that I can weigh the differences and see what I need to do.

If I can't, I'll probably have a 07 Cobalt for sale soon.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by trig
Hi guys, I'm trig, I'm 19 and I've had a white 2007 Cobalt LS for about 6 months.

Minus it's tiny interior (which I probably could have noticed before I bought it ), I love this car. My daily driver is a 2006 Kawasaki ZX6R, but I needed a car too, and this is what I got.

I have an odd ball question, and I guess I got caught off-guard until I had purchased the car.

I knew that on the 05 and 06 models said you were able to tow "up to 1000lbs", and didn't think about it being any different for a newer model, but apparently it is.

At first I was just gonna say screw it, if I burn up the clutch I'll just replace it with stock or aftermarket-still cheaper than another car, but I called GM just to verify, and it's the planetary gear that was causing problems.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't have any idea what a planetary gear is on a car, other than a basic idea of what it does from researching it. I was wanting to tow my bike on a small motorcycle trailer to track days, etc. and the GM guy said since that would only be about 700-800, he wouldn't really worry about it, but he wasn't gonna say it was "OK", so I don't want to void my whole warranty.

My question is, is there any aftermarket parts that can bring back that original 1000lbs towing cap., or does anybody know the cost of replacing a planetary gear, so that I can weigh the differences and see what I need to do.

If I can't, I'll probably have a 07 Cobalt for sale soon.

Thanks.
First off welcome to the site. This is a very good question because I have never heard anyone ask this before. I'm not really to sure about the answer. It really is ashame GM could not answer your question but thats what were here for. The right person will see this thread and help you out. I know I have seen some cobalts towing things in my area. The family in the car and a boat in the back. Anyways, good luck. Free bump for you.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by R&C_rallySS
First off welcome to the site. This is a very good question because I have never heard anyone ask this before. I'm not really to sure about the answer. It really is ashame GM could not answer your question but thats what were here for. The right person will see this thread and help you out. I know I have seen some cobalts towing things in my area. The family in the car and a boat in the back. Anyways, good luck. Free bump for you.

Thanks for the warm welcome man, and yea I was bummed when no one could help me out, as I've also seen people towing with them (not a boat though!).

The reason it confuses me, is I told this guy I was a car audio fan, and I could easily fit at least 360lbs (my bike dry) in my trunk, and then put 4 200lb people in my car, and that doesn't void my warranty...so is this a liability issue, and the other guys having failures due to towing too much (like boats), or can you really not tow a thing with it...
Old 05-03-2007, 09:32 AM

I know you mentioned clutch but is it a manual or automatic transmission not sure if you talking like actual clutch or clutch plates and plantary gears in the auto trans.

Document ID# 1761421
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Automatic Transmission
Caution: If you do not use the correct equipment and drive properly, you can lose control when you pull a trailer. For example, if the trailer is too heavy, the brakes may not work well -- or even at all. You and your passengers could be seriously injured. You may also damage your vehicle; the resulting repairs would not be covered by your warranty. Pull a trailer only if you have followed all the steps in this section. Ask your dealer/retailer for advice and information about towing a trailer with your vehicle.

Your vehicle can tow a trailer if it is equipped with the proper trailer towing equipment. If your vehicle is not equipped as stated above, do not tow a trailer. To identify the trailering capacity of your vehicle, you should read the information in "Weight of the Trailer" that appears later in this section. Trailering is different than just driving your vehicle by itself. Trailering means changes in handling, acceleration, braking, durability and fuel economy. Successful, safe trailering takes correct equipment, and it has to be used properly.

That is the reason for this part. In it are many time-tested, important trailering tips and safety rules. Many of these are important for your safety and that of your passengers. So please read this section carefully before you pull a trailer.

Load-pulling components such as the engine, transmission, wheel assemblies and tires are forced to work harder against the drag of the added weight. The engine is required to operate at relatively higher speeds and under greater loads, generating extra heat. Also, the trailer adds considerably to wind resistance, increasing the pulling requirements.

If You Do Decide To Pull A Trailer
If you do, here are some important points:

• There are many different laws, including speed limit restrictions, having to do with trailering. Make sure your rig will be legal, not only where you live but also where you will be driving. A good source for this information can be state or provincial police.

• Consider using a sway control. You can ask a hitch dealer about sway controls.

• Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 1,000 miles (1 600 km) your new vehicle is driven. Your engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.

• Then, during the first 500 miles (800 km) that you tow a trailer, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps your engine and other parts of your vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

• Obey speed limit restrictions when towing a trailer. Do not drive faster than the maximum posted speed for trailers, or no more than 55 mph (90 km/h), to save wear on your vehicle's parts.

• Do not tow when the outside air temperature is above 100°F (38°C).

• Do not tow more than 1,000 miles (1 600 km) per year.

Three important considerations have to do with weight:

• The weight of the trailer

• The weight of the trailer tongue

• The total weight on your vehicle's tires

Weight of the Trailer
How heavy can a trailer safely be?

It should never weigh more than 1,000 lbs (450 kg). But even that can be too heavy.

It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed, altitude, road grades, outside temperature and how much your vehicle is used to pull a trailer are all important. It can also depend on any special equipment that you have on your vehicle, and the amount of tongue weight the vehicle can carry. See "Weight of the Trailer Tongue" later in this section for more information.

Maximum trailer weight is calculated assuming only the driver is in the tow vehicle and it has all the required trailering equipment. The weight of additional optional equipment, passengers and cargo must be subtracted from the maximum trailer weight.

Ask your dealer/retailer for our trailering information or advice, or write us at our Customer Assistance Offices. See Customer Assistance Offices for more information.

Weight of the Trailer Tongue
The tongue load (A) of any trailer is an important weight to measure because it affects the total or gross weight of your vehicle. The Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) includes the curb weight of the vehicle, any cargo you may carry in it, and the people who will be riding in the vehicle. If you have a lot of options, equipment, passengers, or cargo in your vehicle, it will reduce the tongue weight your vehicle can carry, which will also reduce the trailer weight your vehicle can tow. And if you tow a trailer, you must add the tongue load to the GVW because your vehicle will be carrying that weight, too. See Loading Your Vehicle for more information about your vehicle's maximum load capacity.

If you are using a weight-carrying hitch, the trailer tongue (A) should weigh 10 to 15 percent of the total loaded trailer weight (B).

After you have loaded your trailer, weigh the trailer and then the tongue, separately, to see if the weights are proper. If they are not, you may be able to get them right simply by moving some items around in the trailer.

Total Weight on Your Vehicle's Tires
Be sure your vehicle's tires are inflated to the upper limit for cold tires. You will find these numbers on the Tire-Loading Information label. See Loading Your Vehicle . Then be sure you do not go over the GVW limit for your vehicle, including the weight of the trailer tongue.

Hitches
It is important to have the correct hitch equipment. Crosswinds, large trucks going by and rough roads are a few reasons why you will need the right hitch. Here are some rules to follow:

• The rear bumper on your vehicle is not intended for hitches. Do not attach rental hitches or other bumper-type hitches to it. Use only a frame-mounted hitch that does not attach to the bumper.

• Will you have to make any holes in the body of your vehicle when you install a trailer hitch? If you do, then be sure to seal the holes later when you remove the hitch. If you do not seal them, deadly carbon monoxide (CO) from your exhaust can get into your vehicle. See Engine Exhaust . Dirt and water can also enter the vehicle.

Safety Chains
You should always attach chains between your vehicle and your trailer. Cross the safety chains under the tongue of the trailer so that the tongue will not drop to the road if it becomes separated from the hitch. Instructions about safety chains may be provided by the hitch manufacturer or by the trailer manufacturer. Follow the manufacturer's recommendation for attaching safety chains and do not attach them to the bumper. Always leave just enough slack so you can turn with your rig. And, never allow safety chains to drag on the ground.

Trailer Brakes
Does your trailer have its own brakes? Be sure to read and follow the instructions for the trailer brakes so you will be able to install, adjust and maintain them properly. Do not try to tap into your vehicle's brake system. If you do, both brake systems will not work well, or at all.

Driving with a Trailer
Towing a trailer requires a certain amount of experience. Before setting out for the open road, you will want to get to know your rig. Acquaint yourself with the feel of handling and braking with the added weight of the trailer. And always keep in mind that the vehicle you are driving is now a good deal longer and not nearly as responsive as your vehicle is by itself.

Before you start, check all trailer hitch parts and attachments, safety chains, electrical connector, lamps, tires and mirror adjustment. If the trailer has electric brakes, start your vehicle and trailer moving and then apply the trailer brake controller by hand to be sure the brakes are working. This lets you check your electrical connection at the same time.

During your trip, check occasionally to be sure that the load is secure, and that the lamps and any trailer brakes are still working.

Following Distance
Stay at least twice as far behind the vehicle ahead as you would when driving your vehicle without a trailer. This can help you avoid situations that require heavy braking and sudden turns.

Passing
You will need more passing distance up ahead when you are towing a trailer. And, because the vehicle is a good deal longer, you will need to go much farther beyond the passed vehicle before you can return to your lane.

Backing Up
Hold the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand. Then, to move the trailer to the left, just move that hand to the left. To move the trailer to the right, move your hand to the right. Always back up slowly and, if possible, have someone guide you.

Making Turns
Notice: Making very sharp turns while trailering could cause the trailer to come in contact with the vehicle. Your vehicle could be damaged. Avoid making very sharp turns while trailering.

When you are turning with a trailer, make wider turns than normal. Do this so your trailer will not strike soft shoulders, curbs, road signs, trees or other objects. Avoid jerky or sudden maneuvers. Signal well in advance.

Turn Signals When Towing a Trailer
When you tow a trailer, your vehicle may need a different turn signal flasher and/or extra wiring. Check with your dealer/retailer. The arrows on your instrument panel will flash whenever you signal a turn or lane change. Properly hooked up, the trailer lamps will also flash, telling other drivers you are about to turn, change lanes or stop.

When towing a trailer, the arrows on your instrument panel will flash for turns even if the bulbs on the trailer are burned out. Thus, you may think drivers behind you are seeing your signal when they are not. It is important to check occasionally to be sure the trailer bulbs are still working.

Driving on Grades
Notice: Do not tow on steep continuous grades exceeding 6 miles (9.6 km). Extended, higher than normal engine and transmission temperatures may result and damage your vehicle. Frequent stops are very important to allow the engine and transmission to cool.

Reduce speed and shift to a lower gear before you start down a long or steep downgrade. If you do not shift down, you might have to use your brakes so much that they would get hot and no longer work well.

Pay attention to the engine coolant gage. If the indicator is in the red area, turn off the air conditioning to reduce engine load. See Engine Overheating .

When towing under severe conditions such as hot ambient temperatures or steep grades, your vehicle may experience more transmission shifting. A COOLING MODE ON message may also appear in the DIC. This alerts the driver that the shifting mode is in progress and is aiding engine cooling. See DIC Warnings and Messages for more information.

Parking on Hills
Caution: You really should not park your vehicle, with a trailer attached, on a hill. If something goes wrong, your rig could start to move. People can be injured, and both your vehicle and the trailer can be damaged.

But if you ever have to park your rig on a hill, here is how to do it:

Apply your regular brakes, but do not shift into PARK (P) for an automatic transmission, or into gear for a manual transmission. When parking uphill, turn your wheels away from the curb. When parking downhill, turn your wheels into the curb.
Have someone place chocks under the trailer wheels.
When the wheel chocks are in place, release the regular brakes until the chocks absorb the load.
Reapply the regular brakes. Then apply your parking brake, and then shift into PARK (P) for an automatic transmission or REVERSE (R) for a manual transmission.
Release the regular brakes.
When You Are Ready to Leave After Parking on a Hill
Apply your regular brakes and hold the pedal down while you:
• Start your engine.

• Shift into a gear.

• Release the parking brake.

Let up on the brake pedal.
Drive slowly until the trailer is clear of the chocks.
Stop and have someone pick up and store the chocks.
Maintenance When Trailer Towing
Your vehicle will need service more often when you are pulling a trailer. See Scheduled Maintenance for more on this. Things that are especially important in trailer operation are transmission fluid (do not overfill), engine oil, drive belt, cooling system and brake system.

Each of these is covered in this manual, and the Index will help you find them quickly. If you are trailering, it is a good idea to review this information before you start your trip.

Check periodically to see that all hitch nuts and bolts are tight.

Engine Cooling When Trailer Towing
Your cooling system may temporarily overheat during severe operating conditions. See Engine Overheating .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1761421
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Document ID# 1645080
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Manual Transaxle
Do not tow a trailer if your vehicle is equipped with a manual transaxle. If you have the Cobalt SS, you can tow a trailer. See "Towing a Trailer" in the Index for more information.

Document ID# 1645080
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Sorry this is so long but these are GM's actual document I didn't want to leave anything out.

Last edited by Badassz69; 05-03-2007 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM

It's a manual, not the automatic.

I was under that impression that towing would only burn up my clutch, (under heavy use) and that was it.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 AM

So as far as I can tell you cannot tow anything with a manual trans unless it's an SS.

And yeah you'll melt your clutch and prob put too much stress on your entire drivetrain. I would not do it. but your bike is prob 300 lbs and the trailer maybe another 200 or so. Just don't drive it up like huge hills and try to keep you rpms as low as possible, anything over 4 rpms may be very pad for extended periods of time.

Last edited by Badassz69; 05-03-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM

Eh, I may just have to sell it and buy an old truck.

I have another question though. If some math wiz were to figure it out, how is the rotational mass of oversized rims different than pulling a trailer?

I see people driving LS models like mine with bigger rims. Do they just keep rebuilding there tranny's?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Careful, that statement is confusing. You can't tow with a manual. The "SS" can come with an automatic (read carefully). They are talking about the 2.4L with the auto, not the 2.0L.

To answer your other question, broken planatary gear = whole trans pretty much.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:50 PM

i learn new things everyday... but as far as i can see i dont think the Cobalt was naturally meant to tow anything in the first place, at least unless you wanna struggle with it. a nice S-10 would be good and fairly inexpensive. good luck!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:47 AM

Yeah the balt is a commuter ecobox, not a heavy duty truck, I wouldn't EVER tow anything with it
Old 05-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Yeah I would agree with halfcent, they are more then likely talking about the ss with the auto trans not the ss/sc.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Another reason why my Auto 2.4l rules
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 PM

I have an auto LT, and I remember it showing somewhere that the weight capicity in the car was 800 lbs +

That would be 4 200 lb people. Seems resonable, doesn't it. So if you are the only one in the car, I see no logical reason that you could not tow a bike. If you go easy on it, you should have no trouble. EMPHESIS ON "SHOULD NOT".
Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 AM
Jn2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you can tow w/a Ls, i have a 06 Ls, 5spd, and i have towed my friends CRX and Integra, what i did at first to avoid having to burn the hell out the clutch was, ease of the about 1/2 way, basically where the car starts to walk(sorta speak), but b/c your pulling something you feel it pull, but not go no where, remember not the release the clucth all the way, or it will just turn off on you, but when you feel that pull just add the gas and you'll start moving
Old 05-05-2007, 10:28 AM

"Manual Transaxle
Do not tow a trailer if your vehicle is equipped with a manual transaxle. If you have the Cobalt SS, you can tow a trailer. See "Towing a Trailer" in the Index for more information."

tahts great my 2.2 i boght with 31k miles on it came with a hitch hope the last guy didn't use it too much..