2.2L L61 Performance Tech 16 valve 145 hp EcoTec with 155 lb-ft of torque

Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's

Old 04-11-2008, 11:04 AM
  #301  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-07
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah true, or I can find out the voltage for sure by sticking an Holmes meter between the sensor and the wire back to the PCM. You wanna roll by today or sunday we can give it a go?
avenger09123 is offline  
Old 04-11-2008, 11:15 AM
  #302  
Senior Member
 
kkanowitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-07
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 1,728
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
yeah true, or I can find out the voltage for sure by sticking an Holmes meter between the sensor and the wire back to the PCM. You wanna roll by today or sunday we can give it a go?
PM sent.
kkanowitz is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
  #303  
New Member
 
Join Date: 04-15-08
Location: casper, wyoming
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i own 06 ls sedan with sai and one cat
showbalt88 is offline  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:56 PM
  #304  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-07
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok...
avenger09123 is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 AM
  #305  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,018
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size plug or flange would fit where the 02 sensor goes at the base of the header? i found a way to make it work for CA users.
CobaltLs_14 is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 02:23 PM
  #306  
I'm old school
Thread Starter
 
Halfcent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-16-05
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,901
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, but the O2 sensor really has nothing to do with this system.
Halfcent is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
  #307  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Blue_Balt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-22-07
Location: Howell, NJ
Posts: 6,180
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
Halfcent's right. No LSJ 2.0L or LNF 2.4L has , will, or ever will have the SAI system. SAI only comes on L61 2.2L motors, and even then, not on all of them, it seems they were made and spread out throughout delivery.

----
2.4 engine is the LE5 not the LNF.
Blue_Balt is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 03:49 PM
  #308  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,018
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent View Post
I don't know, but the O2 sensor really has nothing to do with this system.
Then what could i do to plug that hole up? what i'm really looking for is a flange to fit in there.
CobaltLs_14 is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 05:04 PM
  #309  
I'm old school
Thread Starter
 
Halfcent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-16-05
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,901
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you are talking about the air injection hole, not the O2 bung, right? In that case, I still don't know exactly. But I do know that hole isn't threaded like an O2 bung. It just a plate with two bolts that hold it. So you could fab up a simple steel plate and drill the holes to match.
Halfcent is offline  
Old 04-19-2008, 09:18 PM
  #310  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,018
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent View Post
I think you are talking about the air injection hole, not the O2 bung, right? In that case, I still don't know exactly. But I do know that hole isn't threaded like an O2 bung. It just a plate with two bolts that hold it. So you could fab up a simple steel plate and drill the holes to match.
Yeah the air injection is on top of the stock header and the o2 sensor at the base of the header is plugged, but the GMPP header isnt plugged and a found a way to to still have the air injection and route it to the o2 sensor and still pass smog in ca...
CobaltLs_14 is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 02:02 AM
  #311  
I'm old school
Thread Starter
 
Halfcent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-16-05
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,901
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, well, you didn't mention that where trying to use a GMPP header. That's kind of important. I'm afraid I don't know. But I can tell you it still sounds like far too much work just for CARB requirements. Remember, this system only runs for like the first minute your car is on. If you are using an aftermarket header and trying to retain the system just to keep the CEL off, I would just leave the air injection line disconnected and venting to atmosphere rather then trying to plumb it into the O2 bung.
Halfcent is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
  #312  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 03-04-08
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 2,018
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent View Post
Oh, well, you didn't mention that where trying to use a GMPP header. That's kind of important. I'm afraid I don't know. But I can tell you it still sounds like far too much work just for CARB requirements. Remember, this system only runs for like the first minute your car is on. If you are using an aftermarket header and trying to retain the system just to keep the CEL off, I would just leave the air injection line disconnected and venting to atmosphere rather then trying to plumb it into the O2 bung.
Oh So it only runs as soon as the engine starts up the cuts off? i dont know if i'm getting this right... but its not to much work its actually really easy if u know what your doing...
CobaltLs_14 is offline  
Old 04-20-2008, 06:51 PM
  #313  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-07
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CobaltLs_14 View Post
Oh So it only runs as soon as the engine starts up the cuts off? i dont know if i'm getting this right... but its not to much work its actually really easy if u know what your doing...
Yes your right, the one thing you need to consider is if the o2 sensor in the exhaust picks it up or not, thats the deciding factor to determine whether you can do that.
avenger09123 is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
  #314  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm not sure if i have SAI or not. but i think i do. the thing is that i installed a k&N CAI and ever since i did that my car idles when i turn it on. would SAI have anything to do with that?
chrism0589 is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 03:46 PM
  #315  
Senior Member
 
Sarbae's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-05
Location: The Valley
Posts: 1,043
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrism0589 View Post
i'm not sure if i have SAI or not. but i think i do. the thing is that i installed a k&N CAI and ever since i did that my car idles when i turn it on. would SAI have anything to do with that?
your car idles when you turn it on? so does mine...

what do you mean?
Sarbae is offline  
Old 04-28-2008, 04:00 PM
  #316  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarbae View Post
your car idles when you turn it on? so does mine...

what do you mean?

well when i turn it on. like in the mornings. the revs go down to like 300 then up to like 900 does that a few times then u hear like an air sound then it stops.

Last edited by chrism0589; 04-29-2008 at 07:53 AM.
chrism0589 is offline  
Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
  #317  
I'm old school
Thread Starter
 
Halfcent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-16-05
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,901
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Using the pictures in this thread you should easily be able to know if you have SAI. However, the problem you are describing has nothing to do with it.

Poor idling and oscilating RPMs with the K&N intake might be because you still have the SAI intake hole open on the intake pipe. The K&N pipe is the only one that actually has that.
Halfcent is offline  
Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
  #318  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent View Post
Using the pictures in this thread you should easily be able to know if you have SAI. However, the problem you are describing has nothing to do with it.

Poor idling and oscilating RPMs with the K&N intake might be because you still have the SAI intake hole open on the intake pipe. The K&N pipe is the only one that actually has that.

well i just went down to my car and checked. i guess i do have SAI. and i also checked the intake pipe and it looks to me like everything is connected. is there anything else it could be??
chrism0589 is offline  
Old 04-29-2008, 11:05 AM
  #319  
I'm old school
Thread Starter
 
Halfcent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-16-05
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,901
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing else that would have to do with SAI. Take it to the shop. And when you do, leave your intake alone.
Halfcent is offline  
Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
  #320  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Halfcent View Post
Nothing else that would have to do with SAI. Take it to the shop. And when you do, leave your intake alone.

what do u mean leave my intake alone??
chrism0589 is offline  
Old 04-30-2008, 05:18 PM
  #321  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 09-16-07
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 448
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chrism0589 View Post
what do u mean leave my intake alone??
No no hold on a sec.....
Your new intake is flowing much more air through your MAF than your old intake....if you havent unplugged your battery and allowed your car to relearn its fuel trim settings it will do that.

It pulls a ton of air in at startup because the intake is much better and then drops the RPMS because its getting too much and then kicks it up and then drops it down while its finding the right fuel trim to get it to the 800rpm idle with so much more air coming in.

Unplug the + on your battery for abotu 30 mins and let it reset and then start up your car and let it relearn all the fuel trims for your new intake....

it might take a week or so to get it to stop doing that...but it will eventually either way....
avenger09123 is offline  
Old 04-30-2008, 07:55 PM
  #322  
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 11-07-07
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 262
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
No no hold on a sec.....
Your new intake is flowing much more air through your MAF than your old intake....if you havent unplugged your battery and allowed your car to relearn its fuel trim settings it will do that.

It pulls a ton of air in at startup because the intake is much better and then drops the RPMS because its getting too much and then kicks it up and then drops it down while its finding the right fuel trim to get it to the 800rpm idle with so much more air coming in.

Unplug the + on your battery for abotu 30 mins and let it reset and then start up your car and let it relearn all the fuel trims for your new intake....

it might take a week or so to get it to stop doing that...but it will eventually either way....
alright then i'm going to do that right now thanks.
chrism0589 is offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
  #323  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 06-14-05
Location: phoenix , az
Posts: 1,130
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
as a update since i still get asked questions

currently there is NO plan to move forward on the pacesetter header to work with the SAI system
97cavie24ls is offline  
Old 05-22-2008, 03:59 PM
  #324  
I'm old school
Thread Starter
 
Halfcent's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-16-05
Location: Nashville
Posts: 6,901
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't expect there ever will be either.
Halfcent is offline  
Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 AM
  #325  
New Member
 
Join Date: 05-27-08
Location: Spiro
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I got my cobalt on saturday and today I come on this board to join and learn a bit and I find out I have this system. I read the post that mrgoodwrench78 had on here thanks to halfcent. Now if i have my technician do this to eliminate the sai I can take all the parts of for it and replace with any that I choose? I do appreciate everyones time and effort on this and sorry If I missed the answer on the other 17 pages I read on this..
franchise78 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Secondary Air Injection on late production 2006 L61's


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.