2.2L LAP Performance Tech 2.2L LAP Performance Tech (2009+) 155 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Gene's 2.2 LAP Supercharger Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm probably gonna go to my local hardware store - they have a huge bolt department.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

As far as Lowe's... I went to a couple of different one's (Lowes) and they didn't have the M6 x 75's or the M8 X 130's...

I went to quite a bit of local stores, including national chains and some mom and pops stores and no one had those. I even had my wife ask at some of these places with her new ***** on display and the workers worked their ass off for her trying to find them (so they could keep her around a while) and nada... so even asking at these places didn't help. All I had around me were a bunch of tarts hanging around to see my wife's *****... lol... I just had to say that... it was really funny though.

I am going to attempt to install my interceptor and my other gauges today... as far as wiring goes.. so when I get to install day I can just hook up the vacuum line to the boost gauge and the sensor to the AEM wideband.

It will be interesting to see how much HP it says I currently have, bone stock, lol.

Oh, PS, that is the reason why I ordered the rest of the bolts I needed from boltdepot.com. It only took me like 2 days to get them from them. Very good service for a great price.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:32 PM

Just got all the rest of my bolts I needed from our independent hardware store, they're VERY good (always voted best independent in Detroit). They even had the M6x75s. I didn't check if they had M8x130s, but I bet they did, but I already had them.

How much heater hose should I get?

Last edited by MP81; 06-13-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Talking

Ok, I didn't get to do the Interceptor thing because I forgot about going to my mom's college graduation (bachelors this time)... so I will do it today.

Here is the amount of heater hose they tell you to get in the how-to... I haven't gotten it yet.

10ft. x ¾” I.D. Hose
10ft x ¼” I.D. Hose
4ft. x ½” I.D. Hose
Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Woah...what are the 1/4" and 1/2" hose used for?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1/4" is for option B if you have the stock HE or if your aftermarket one has a 1/4" bleeder nipple on it
no clue why he's getting 1/2" though
Old 06-14-2009, 03:52 PM

I'm gonna be running a Cobra H/E and an extra coolant tank from Murray's...

I should only need the 3/4?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:01 PM

correct
Old 06-14-2009, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very informative thread.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:08 PM

Talking

I'm not getting the 1/4 or 1/2... that is just what was in the original parts list. I guess I shall only need 3/4.

Casey... wtf on the Interceptor dude..lol. It took me a while today to do all the wiring for all of my gauges (professional looking) and after messing around with it after I got it going the Interceptor is telling me I have like 6 HP at idle, lol. Sure, I rev it up and stuff and it tells me like 35 HP.... this is funny.

The manual says it bases the HP calculation off air flow and average MPG... and since I disconnected my battery (lost my 28.6 avg previously) my dic says that I am at around 8MPG because I just took the car up the street, bout 1/2 mile, to the Wawa to get gas.

I wonder if this number will get better after the fuel economy starts to average out?

Also, how can you tell you have 265 and the numbers seem to go so fast I wouldn't ever know what the top number was.

After all the work I did today, this was a disappointment. lol.

I didn't 100% get everything situated behind the pillar because I still have to hook up the hose for the boost for the SC and the UEGO wideband sensor and all. There is a slight vibration behind the pillar at a certain RPM... but I'm sure I'll get that fixed.

All of the gauges turn on and turn off, etc, when I turn the key on and off. I had to modify the ZZP pillar a little in the back where the AEM UEGO goes, but that is ok, I guess. It just added some time to my wiring job today.

Oh well, Casey, if you could help me I would appreciate it
Old 06-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Talking

H E L P.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drive it more?...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 PM

Anyone have a hose routing or something for this install?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:01 PM

Talking

There was a routing diagram in Beck's or Hunters. I'm going to have to find it.

Update:... looked at some routing diagrams and I think I'm in trouble on this. I better get it figured out by Friday. I am using just an additional coolant tank with the ZZP H/E and I don't see a routing digram for that!

So my build update:

Received the tuning cable and all from Vince today.

My friend came over tonight and we plugged the SC hole. All we did was use a 7/16 tap (without drilling) and installed a 7/16 allen hex socket plug. I will post pics. I installed the 3.0 polished pulley and changed the SC oil. I measured it exactly and 4 oz came out... but this was without taking the snout off.

My friend says he has Saturday to spend with me so it looks like Saturday I'm going to start the install!

Casey... where are you?? Need help with my interceptor and your phone number for the install this weekend!

Last edited by Gene Culley; 06-16-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by MP81
Anyone have a hose routing or something for this install?
which diagram do you need specifically?

evap?

coolant/he/resevior?

I have alldatapro if anyone needs diagrams just let me know which ones specifically and I will post them in the tech section or here...

samples of the diagrams...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Talking

I really appreciate your kindness, but that isn't what I need. I am actually a GM employee so I have access to the GM service manuals online.

Now I'm worried about the hose routing diagram. I don't have a stock Cobalt H/E. I have the ZZP H/E so I'm going to be looking for the routing diagram for the H/E, IC Pump and intake manifold. I'm fugged. lol.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM

It should still be the same, just to a different H/E.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:49 PM

Talking

Ok here's another update.

I got the wideband bung welded into the LSJ DP.

I figured out the hose routing last night from looking at a ZZP diagram. Don't forget I am using the ZZP H/E so it won't have any small nipple on it for anything. Today I decided to overnight the few items it took to do the stock SC coolant setup... with the small reservoir attached to the SC and the formed hoses from the intake manifold to the SC reservoir and the intake manifold to the IC pump.

It will look more factory now.

Here is the original ZZP diagram I looked at.

Here is the modified diagram of what it will look like without the stock H/E and using only the ZZP H/E.

Also, here is the promised photo of the hex socket plug in the MAP sensor hole in the SC. It was really simple. You can see some teflon tape around it still.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM

I suppose that diagram should work for me, as well.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I'm not getting the 1/4 or 1/2... that is just what was in the original parts list. I guess I shall only need 3/4.

Casey... wtf on the Interceptor dude..lol. It took me a while today to do all the wiring for all of my gauges (professional looking) and after messing around with it after I got it going the Interceptor is telling me I have like 6 HP at idle, lol. Sure, I rev it up and stuff and it tells me like 35 HP.... this is funny.

The manual says it bases the HP calculation off air flow and average MPG... and since I disconnected my battery (lost my 28.6 avg previously) my dic says that I am at around 8MPG because I just took the car up the street, bout 1/2 mile, to the Wawa to get gas.

I wonder if this number will get better after the fuel economy starts to average out?

Also, how can you tell you have 265 and the numbers seem to go so fast I wouldn't ever know what the top number was.

After all the work I did today, this was a disappointment. lol.

I didn't 100% get everything situated behind the pillar because I still have to hook up the hose for the boost for the SC and the UEGO wideband sensor and all. There is a slight vibration behind the pillar at a certain RPM... but I'm sure I'll get that fixed.

All of the gauges turn on and turn off, etc, when I turn the key on and off. I had to modify the ZZP pillar a little in the back where the AEM UEGO goes, but that is ok, I guess. It just added some time to my wiring job today.

Oh well, Casey, if you could help me I would appreciate it
sorry dude I was on a camping trip this week. just got back today.

mmmk.. so, I typically see 3-4hp at idle. Thats about normal. As im sure you figured out now, it doesnt show peak HP, it shows the amount of HP the motor is making at that instant. I was unaware that it used MPG as a factor in HP, but if it does, then yea, your's should change, as theyre a tad off from mine.

you can see where it peaks better when doing a 3rd gear pull (especially when its only a 4speed) Its still an approximation, but its definitely mid 260's

If any of the gauges are too loose, use some teflon tape. Worked for me . Of course, if the rattling is behind the pillar, its probably a wire that just needs to be pulled tight, or taped if it cant be pulled.

I'll PM you my number now
Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 AM

I don't have mine yet, but reading the downloadable manual from aeroforce leads me to believe that you can record a pull as well, allowing you to watch your run after its over. This would make finding your instantaneous max hp much easier if this function works on the 2.2/2.4 interceptor.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by MP81
I suppose that diagram should work for me, as well.
thats more or less how it should be ran...although I'd recommend getting rid of that stock filler neck and running an actual reservoir instead
Old 06-19-2009, 11:46 AM

I am. I'm getting a cheap reservoir from Murray's. They're like $10 or $20...

This one, in fact:

http://www.id-usa.com/product.asp?CID=5&PID=164
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
sorry dude I was on a camping trip this week. just got back today.

mmmk.. so, I typically see 3-4hp at idle. Thats about normal. As im sure you figured out now, it doesnt show peak HP, it shows the amount of HP the motor is making at that instant. I was unaware that it used MPG as a factor in HP, but if it does, then yea, your's should change, as theyre a tad off from mine.

you can see where it peaks better when doing a 3rd gear pull (especially when its only a 4speed) Its still an approximation, but its definitely mid 260's

If any of the gauges are too loose, use some teflon tape. Worked for me . Of course, if the rattling is behind the pillar, its probably a wire that just needs to be pulled tight, or taped if it cant be pulled.

I'll PM you my number now
You're not allowed to leave us, lol. You don't have any vacation time from here dude. LOL. So fun picking on you.

I didn't think the cars only had that little HP at idle, but I guess makes sense. I just read the manual online again and I believe I was mistaken. I was looking at the HP adjustment thing and it said you can adjust the HP rating and the MPG rating, but it doesn't say the MPG has anything to do with the HP. Sorry about that.

I didn't do any 3rd gear pulls or anything as I just ran down the street to get gas. The gauges don't SEEM to be loose, but they could be. There are some loose wires back there because I still have to remove it again to install the boost line and the wiring for the wideband... then I'll tidy all up.

I did receive your number... thank you!

Originally Posted by mtbrent
I don't have mine yet, but reading the downloadable manual from aeroforce leads me to believe that you can record a pull as well, allowing you to watch your run after its over. This would make finding your instantaneous max hp much easier if this function works on the 2.2/2.4 interceptor.
Unfortunately HP isn't one of those though

PERFORMANCE. This selection will allow you to measure 0-60 mph (100
Km/hr in the metric version), 1/8 mile and ¼ mile performance with speed.

Originally Posted by IonNinja
thats more or less how it should be ran...although I'd recommend getting rid of that stock filler neck and running an actual reservoir instead
I bought a second reservoir that looks like stock, but it won't look stock the way the hoses have to run. I want it to look as stock as possible. There really is no advantage of a larger reservoir other than to have extra fluid available.

Last edited by Gene Culley; 06-19-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
There really is no advantage of a larger reservoir other than to have extra fluid available.
That is the point

just so you know, you'll need a 3/4" T fitting if you wont be using the stock filler neck

Quick Reply: Gene's 2.2 LAP Supercharger Build