Supercharged 2009 G5 - Page 4 - Cobalt SS Network

2.2L LAP Performance Tech 2.2L LAP Performance Tech (2009+) 155 hp EcoTec with 150 lb-ft of torque

Supercharged 2009 G5

Old 07-27-2017, 04:15 PM
  #76  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Full cooling mods. My car has never heat soaked and you don't have to change the pump for e85. Stock is fine.
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-27-2017, 06:21 PM
  #77  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Laredo
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yea when my brother had the s3 heat exchanger it ran amazing, then when he broke it exiting his driveway the car didnt run the same. I do have a dual pass but i dont think it helps much without a bigger HE.

​​​​​​​Really? I had read about LSJ cobalts switching out the fuel pump for e85. Your making me want to switch to e85 lol. I just dont want my motor to blow up. Its not as strong as the 2.4
Crav3 is offline  
Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 PM
  #78  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
No one swaps their fuel pumps lol unless they go tvs and bigger numbers. I was on the stock one 2 years. All my friends are too. I recommend getting the ottp h/e. The zzp is garbage. It bends so easy and cracks. I broke mine and bent it. Replaced it with ottp. So much stronger and made better. I've scrapped it a lot. Also cheaper.
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-27-2017, 08:30 PM
  #79  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Also, dual pass is the most important part. The stock h/e is actually enough.
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-27-2017, 10:23 PM
  #80  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Laredo
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow i did not know that. Ill keep it in mind if i ever do go e85. I really wanted to get an lnf but then i lose one race and i want to build the g5 better and stronger.

​​​​​​​was thinking of getting the cx racing HE, it was like $130 i think. A friend had one and it was not bad.

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006 View Post
Also, dual pass is the most important part. The stock h/e is actually enough.
​​​​​​​i did notice my iat temps go way down after the dual pass, even when going down a couple pulley sizes from stock. It is really good mod
Crav3 is offline  
Old 07-27-2017, 10:48 PM
  #81  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
Lsj and turbo swap it
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 04:25 AM
  #82  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Laredo
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I want to get an lsj and turbo it and put it in a miata. Also currently on the look out for a low priced miata to start an ecotec swap on it. Also know of a guy who took out his lnf and dropped in an LDK into it. So maybe ill pick that up if i find a miata.
Crav3 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 AM
  #83  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,077
Thanked 127 Times in 123 Posts
I wonder if you would even be able to reap much benefit from E85 as the rods in 2.2's like to bend.

Ecotec swap Miata's are bad ass. There is one stripped down purpose built Ecotec Miata that I see at autocross events on slicks with a turbo ecotec and the thing flys around the courses. Honestly is right up there with the Exocets or other tube frame builds.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:43 AM
  #84  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
I can't think of any stock motor 2.2s I know that are running e85
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 10:44 AM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
But I don't think e85 and a sc kit is going to make enough power to bend a rod. You will till be under 300hp
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:13 AM
  #86  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,077
Thanked 127 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by chevygirl2006 View Post
But I don't think e85 and a sc kit is going to make enough power to bend a rod. You will till be under 300hp
I think our rods are safe to 250 and that is the max.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 AM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-21-11
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,704
Thanked 36 Times in 36 Posts
That's what people say and it's not true. I know a few people that have more
chevygirl2006 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 11:33 AM
  #88  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,077
Thanked 127 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by chevygirl2006 View Post
That's what people say and it's not true. I know a few people that have more
I said safe, not impossible.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 03:47 PM
  #89  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,155
Thanked 369 Times in 327 Posts
The 250 number came from GM testing with a nitrous shot. Using a blower the power gain is different. You'll run cooler cylinder temps on e85 so that might help prolong things
ECaulk is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 PM
  #90  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,077
Thanked 127 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ECaulk View Post
The 250 number came from GM testing with a nitrous shot. Using a blower the power gain is different. You'll run cooler cylinder temps on e85 so that might help prolong things
When tuned correctly isn't a nitrous shot more healthy than boost from a supercharger because it is adding oxygen without additional heat and pressure?
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 04:11 PM
  #91  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Laredo
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
I wonder if you would even be able to reap much benefit from E85 as the rods in 2.2's like to bend.

Ecotec swap Miata's are bad ass. There is one stripped down purpose built Ecotec Miata that I see at autocross events on slicks with a turbo ecotec and the thing flys around the courses. Honestly is right up there with the Exocets or other tube frame builds.
i remember back when i got my car around 2011 there was a guy running full cooling mods 2.9 pulley and e85 on a 2.2 LAP and only lasted a couple weeks before he bent a rod. That is why i dont want to do it just yet.

nitrous does not start to get harsh until after a 100 shot at a time. That is why they make stage kits. Its easy to take 2 small hits one after an other than one huge hit at once. I seen a 5.3 silverado take a 250 shot and blow up while another had a 2 stage kit spraying 150 shot then another 100 a bit after and survive many runs.

​​​​​​​yes i seen few ecotec miatas on youtbe and i gotta say im impressed. Even a stock 2.4 can run with turbo 1.6, 1.8 miatas. An lnf or lsj turbo in one would be crazy
Crav3 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 04:14 PM
  #92  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 02-03-16
Location: Kansas
Posts: 4,077
Thanked 127 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Crav3 View Post
i remember back when i got my car around 2011 there was a guy running full cooling mods 2.9 pulley and e85 on a 2.2 LAP and only lasted a couple weeks before he bent a rod. That is why i dont want to do it just yet.

nitrous does not start to get harsh until after a 100 shot at a time. That is why they make stage kits. Its easy to take 2 small hits one after an other than one huge hit at once. I seen a 5.3 silverado take a 250 shot and blow up while another had a 2 stage kit spraying 150 shot then another 100 a bit after and survive many runs.

​​​​​​​yes i seen few ecotec miatas on youtbe and i gotta say im impressed. Even a stock 2.4 can run with turbo 1.6, 1.8 miatas. An lnf or lsj turbo in one would be crazy
The Miata I was talking about I think started with a 2.4 Ecotec and was very impressive them. Definitely enough power for autocross IMO. This year he is turbo'd and it went from impressive to nuts.
jdbaugh1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 04:50 PM
  #93  
Senior Member
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: 07-19-10
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 22,155
Thanked 369 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
When tuned correctly isn't a nitrous shot more healthy than boost from a supercharger because it is adding oxygen without additional heat and pressure?
Depends on how the nitrous and boost comes in. The supercharge is nice because it's more linear than a nitrous or turbo can be. They were hitting the poor little engine with a big shot at once
ECaulk is offline  
Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 PM
  #94  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 04-25-12
Location: Laredo
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdbaugh1 View Post
The Miata I was talking about I think started with a 2.4 Ecotec and was very impressive them. Definitely enough power for autocross IMO. This year he is turbo'd and it went from impressive to nuts.
​​​​​​​damn sounds like a car id like to see run. Is it a NA miata or NB? I always wanted a NA with the pop up headlights, but i always put it off and now their prices are going up. Im looking for a cheap NB right now but if a good priced NA comes out im taking it. They are fun little cars, and i cant imagine how fun they are with an ecotec
Crav3 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Supercharged06SS
08-10 SS Turbocharged General Discussion
20
02-08-2016 07:14 PM
brandon04
Problems/Service/Maintenance
46
10-21-2015 08:04 AM
dennis69
Appearance
9
10-20-2015 05:49 PM
Tupp
Suspension
5
09-30-2015 09:18 PM
z28addiction
Wanted - What to buy - All categories
0
09-28-2015 01:03 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharged 2009 G5


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.