2.4L LE5 Performance Tech 16 valve 171 hp EcoTec with 163 lb-ft of torque

2.4 turbo build (for the haters! )

Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 AM

Received 91 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by NICOMAN
thats awesome and wish i was so fortunate but could not come across a deal like that ..and in all reality thats what im doing
a real kit...no ebay. even if you piece together a stock kit thats better than a ebay kit
Old 09-28-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as soon as i get the chance i will replace the manifold and go to external wastegate being..then by the time the heat comes back around..step up the intercooler..and by then the turbo will probly be on its way out (i think ill get it to last with brandname wastegate and intercooling ..and lastly replace the turbo when funds are there..i honestly think the turbo will go long be4 the engine does..my statements on the engine blowing and not caring are just worst case scenario ..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:21 AM

or be patient and wait till you have the money for a good kit
i might later on turbo mine.
When I have the money and if i decide to keep it
Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 AM

the zzp kit is 3 and thats for the stage 2 which i dont beleive ur running 12s on ..
Old 09-28-2012, 01:30 AM

honestly if i saved 3 ..ide sell and buy a new car..but the more i do to this thing the more im attached to it ..idk i honestly just have a good time messing with stuff and regardless to how much i spend on it in the long run ..it will be more rewarding to me knowing everything i did with it ya kno..
and to get feedback that isnt just "ur cars gunna blow up lol" would be nice
idc if its negative but y and how and what
Old 09-28-2012, 01:38 AM

i didnt just say your car is going to blow up
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 AM

Your still going to need some sort of custom charge pipes put together and that aint cheap from what ive seen! For the money your going to throw into a cheap Ebay kit why not just throw on an SS/SC M62? Can be done for pretty cheap and is pretty damn reliable IMHO. And would make more power alot safer than a junk Ebay kit that is poorly thrown together and will end up in not only toasting your motor, But the turbo too. WHich would lead to having to either return to stock or pay the $$$ and have it done right and doing it twice in the end! But hey it's your money... In for blown cobalt vids once put together!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
inb4theiblewmyengine!!!!

Seriously though, it you plan on changing stuff out later on, why not just wait and get what you want. im not saying dont go ebay kit, because ive known people who have had good luck (not many at all though) But honestly i think you need to wait and read/research more and decide what the hell you want out of this car. If you dont want to spend 3g on it, dont go F/I. At that point your better off at getting a LSJ or LNF throwing the same amount your cheaping out on for a turbo kit and being better off reliabilty wise.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 AM

lol the charge piping is not going to be a problem ..pretty much put it together myself no welding of anything needed .. and i did consider the m62 for the longest time ..and i agreed its way more reliable ..but im simply not a fan of s/c and s/c is more expensive it ur looking to get any real power ..correct me in im wrong ..
and ok blowing my motor up ..how ? lol ill occupy the thought bcause agreed cheap products cheap response..but whats weak in an ebay set up ? ide say my weakest point ..is the wastegate ..not only is it ebay but its an internal wastegate and and is poorly set up (many stock turbos with internal wastegates r poorly set up )
i am def considering scrapping the internal wastegate ..dp and manifold ..other then that i cannot see how anything else may effect the engine
Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 AM

correction no scrapping of the dp needed bcuz im making it lol ..i thought of fabricating the manifold for a external wastegate but im worried about it cracking ..im not worried about the intercooler at all really .. or the piping ..and i think if the turbo is poorly maid..it will die way b4 my engine will
and ill probably rebuild it with the garrett rebuild kit
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 AM

tmr i will post pictures of what i think i will be using and what not and we will get an opinion from there..none of u can tell me a storey of how u used som ebay turbo parts and how they failed miserably..and idk about u guys but im tired of hearing mixed reviews and i want to find out !
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the first thing to go will be the turbo,I cant tell you how many times I seen ppl purchase a ebay turbo and 2 months later crapping out
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Banned

just get some spray!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:44 AM

i cant say i havent seen it aswell .. i do agree that the internals on an ebay turbo are not quality ..but ive seen many success storeys from people rebuilding them with garrett rebuild kit being it will then have quality internally ..i think alot of the time its a seal blowing and theyll leak oil everywhere.. with the rebuild..and a name brand external wastegate ..i think it will hold up
Old 09-28-2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by NICOMAN
lol the charge piping is not going to be a problem ..pretty much put it together myself no welding of anything needed .. and i did consider the m62 for the longest time ..and i agreed its way more reliable ..but im simply not a fan of s/c and s/c is more expensive it ur looking to get any real power ..correct me in im wrong ..
and ok blowing my motor up ..how ? lol ill occupy the thought bcause agreed cheap products cheap response..but whats weak in an ebay set up ? ide say my weakest point ..is the wastegate ..not only is it ebay but its an internal wastegate and and is poorly set up (many stock turbos with internal wastegates r poorly set up )
i am def considering scrapping the internal wastegate ..dp and manifold ..other then that i cannot see how anything else may effect the engine
Your an idiot if you think a ebay kit was made for your car. You can sit here and say that you will do all that is needed but you clearly have no freaking clue what your doing. you weak link is not only the ebay kit. scraping the DP/manifold and other thing's that crucial to a turbo build makes it very clear you have not done any research. if you think this has not been done before than you have no idea how the search button works. once again in for the blown turbo build just for the fun. what weak in an ebay kit is EVERY SINGLE PART. but go ahead and experiment like alot of people on this forum have.. Once you have blown your motor and turbo(which you admitted was possible) You will end up buying the same **** more than twice. Just do an S/C build and keep it safe as there are tons of how too's if you search. or continue on your path and waste $$$$$ it's up to you. if you were able to make a DP and charge piping then why hasnt it happend allready? CAUSE YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR DOING! Otherwise you would not be asking the questions you are! let alone trying to make junk **** work. And LOL at rebuilding what comes in an Ebay kit(two months down the road). Do it right the first time or dont bitch at doing it more than twice! cause that's what's going to happen!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by thedubsack85
Your an idiot if you think a ebay kit was made for your car. You can sit here and say that you will do all that is needed but you clearly have no freaking clue what your doing. you weak link is not only the ebay kit. scraping the DP/manifold and other thing's that crucial to a turbo build makes it very clear you have not done any research. if you think this has not been done before than you have no idea how the search button works. once again in for the blown turbo build just for the fun. what weak in an ebay kit is EVERY SINGLE PART. but go ahead and experiment like alot of people on this forum have.. Once you have blown your motor and turbo(which you admitted was possible) You will end up buying the same **** more than twice. Just do an S/C build and keep it safe as there are tons of how too's if you search. or continue on your path and waste $$$$$ it's up to you. if you were able to make a DP and charge piping then why hasnt it happend allready? CAUSE YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR DOING! Otherwise you would not be asking the questions you are! let alone trying to make junk **** work. And LOL at rebuilding what comes in an Ebay kit(two months down the road). Do it right the first time or dont bitch at doing it more than twice! cause that's what's going to happen!
ok ..first off u completely misunderstood everything i said..when i said scrapping the dp and manifold i mean the manifold that comes with the kit..and buying somthing right either zzps or turbo tech racing turbo manifold ..that way i can use an external wastegate instead of relying on the one that comes with the turbo..bcuz as i said when i maid that statement i think that the most important parts will be my wastegate and manifold bcuz im concerned the welds on the mani it comes with r ****..i havent really asked any questions lol bsides trying to pry people to see if they know what they r talking about.. ..and y have i not made the downpipe? bcuz as it says in the first post i maid..parts are in the mail! ..when it gets here..and i can see how the mani looks and how the turbo will sit bhind the engine i will then determine how i need to make the dp lol ..i cant do anything without the parts in front of me lol ..ide also like to take a look at the mani and see how well its put together ..i will rebuild the ebay turbo with garrett parts..i love how the second any1 says ebay i must know nothing lol.. im glad to be getting the responses i am getting though ..i expected nothing less..a year ago i would have been saying what ur saying but frankly im bored..and ive seen to many mixed reviews and therefore intrigued..every1 has said a whole bunch of ur stupid and udk what ur doing and ur engine is going to blow up ..i havent heard one technical accusation yet ..and thats what im here for ..ide like to see if i can work out the kinks in the ebay turbo design and make something useable ..
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 AM

oh and i dont think it was maid for my car..the only thing ebay can even claim fits is the exhaust manifold to head ..which as i said i dont know how sure i am about using ..but again i cant make an accusation without seeing the part….when i get them i will make the conclusion ..this thread is to try and see what is possible ..i can read from text books and search all day and get things right every time..but u learn the most when u experiment brother..jmo ..and ive done turbo set ups b4 ..but namebrand company was always who did the work and figuring out the kinks and percs in systems that im now trying to do
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
just do it,
i will just says good luck and have fun.
let us know how it goes in details, how long the parts lasted, and if it blows or not.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i know youre like oh i couldnt be so fortunate to find a kit like that blah blah blah. did you even try looking? ive seen 2-3 kits being sold here in the last month or 2 for less than 1k

heres one right now for $700!!! lmao!

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/part...rembos-286960/

but yeah please post the video of the car blowing up

and i have to agree with chevygirl. if youre going to be cheap about modding your car then whats the point of even modifying it? its only going to give you more problems in the end and be more expensive than the more expensive part wouldve been
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Buy a real kit 80's n e85 10 psi ull have a mid to high 300 whp car all day on a good tune
Old 09-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Twoozofjuice
i know youre like oh i couldnt be so fortunate to find a kit like that blah blah blah. did you even try looking? ive seen 2-3 kits being sold here in the last month or 2 for less than 1k

heres one right now for $700!!! lmao!

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/part...rembos-286960/

but yeah please post the video of the car blowing up

and i have to agree with chevygirl. if youre going to be cheap about modding your car then whats the point of even modifying it? its only going to give you more problems in the end and be more expensive than the more expensive part wouldve been
lol dude do u know what boosting consist of?
yes this is a complete kit for the lnf..this is no where near complete for what i would have to run ..only parts i could even use in that is the turbo and exhaust manifold ..mayb some of those lines im not sure how theyd run tho ..but for 700 ide be better buying a used garrett nd mani from zzp and i could get that for a lil less then 700..
Old 09-28-2012, 12:31 PM

Well this escalated quickly lol
Old 09-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by chevygirl2006
Well this escalated quickly lol
lol yepp
Old 09-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mmcgee123
Buy a real kit 80's n e85 10 psi ull have a mid to high 300 whp car all day on a good tune
Corn is for the Indians my friend
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM

few things just came in the mail ill take pictures tn when i have some more time ..the blades on the turbine seem to have scratches here in there..nothing drastic but theres no way for me to tell if its balanced ..w.e. scratched a blade could have bent something ..soo a rebuild will def be happening ..the manifold ..welds seem good but cuts and fitting are really bad ..and omg u sould see the downpipe that came with this thing ..i could only imagine how many people get this with no knowledge and bult right on blow up ..pics will be posted later!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.4 turbo build (for the haters! )