LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build! - Page 3 - Cobalt SS Network

Go Back  Cobalt SS Network > Engine Technical Discussion > ADVANCED Performance Modifications
LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build! >

LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build!

ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build!

Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 PM
  #51  
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: 06-03-08
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ebristol View Post
I like this build.

But I do think it is funny how in the past if someone talked about compounding boost with a super/turbo charger setup they would get flamed.

But since this is a turbo/turbo setup everything is ok! lol
It's more strange that people know that rear mount turbos do not work nearly as well as engine mounted turbos, but in this case people think it's a good idea.

OP- Good luck on your build. It's going to be a serious challenge.
Matt M is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Dayta's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-06
Location: MA
Posts: 5,431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SMG ftw
Dayta is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
  #53  
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: 06-03-08
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedSS2005 View Post
Because tuners mostly dislike blowers and think turbos are the only power makers. That's why the twincharge idea never really took off short of the couple ZZP-done cars.
Couple? lol. There's a lot of them out there. Only about 1 out of 10 builds gets discussed on the forums.
Matt M is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:15 PM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Frederick, Maryland
Posts: 546
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
Couple? lol. There's a lot of them out there. Only about 1 out of 10 builds gets discussed on the forums.
I think you guys should do a raffle type deal to give away one of you kits what you think
rollingboostedss is offline  
Old 08-08-2010, 11:19 PM
  #55  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-09-09
Location: White Marsh, Maryland
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
do want now
Kyle4236 is offline  
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 03-19-07
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 14,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
It's more strange that people know that rear mount turbos do not work nearly as well as engine mounted turbos, but in this case people think it's a good idea.

OP- Good luck on your build. It's going to be a serious challenge.
I agree they're not as affected but i'm not sure how a compound setup is a rear mount? unless there is something I missed
elecblue06 is offline  
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
I agree they're not as affected but i'm not sure how a compound setup is a rear mount? unless there is something I missed
might still work....

but an issue that might wana be considered....

a.) loss of thermal velocity through that long pipe......going to the rear big turbo

b.) and the extra/second oil pump wirings that feed the rear big turbo might get cut. It will my daily driver, and sometimes object might cause this to happen...............and will lead to a sudden death of the big turbo.

c.) air filter getting wet during heavy rain/deep snow (its my daily driver)







I was actually planning before about this to make it simpler instead of having to relocate all the stuff inside the engine bay......

- plan was having that long exhaust pipe.....be coated w/ swaintech and also wrapped with - DEI thermal wrap.

- also have a 3" pipe that will become a 2.5" pipe by the middle of the long exhaust pipe. Will help with the thermal velocity.

- and the long pipe going back to the engine......will serve as an "intercooler/pre-cooler" ...so all the compressed air will be cooled.....before reaching the inlet of the small turbo.

but that's my last resort....if things will not fit inside the engine bay

Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
It's more strange that people know that rear mount turbos do not work nearly as well as engine mounted turbos, but in this case people think it's a good idea.

OP- Good luck on your build. It's going to be a serious challenge.

thank you!

it will really be a VERY SERIOUS project .......

Last edited by SKY888; 08-11-2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 03:14 PM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 04-01-09
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 971
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why don't you just go with a really nice big turbo setup? u will still push the lnf farther than anybody else and it wont be as painful with the r&d
08ShowbaltLS is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-09-09
Location: White Marsh, Maryland
Posts: 3,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rollingboostedss View Post
I think you guys should do a raffle type deal to give away one of you kits what you think
yessssssssssssssss
Kyle4236 is offline  
Old 08-12-2010, 05:21 PM
  #60  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 08ShowbaltLS View Post
why don't you just go with a really nice big turbo setup? u will still push the lnf farther than anybody else and it wont be as painful with the r&d
cuz I don't like the lag a big turbo offers
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 04:41 PM
  #61  
Member
 
Join Date: 12-23-09
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 213
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dayta View Post
SMG ftw
Not to take anything away from SKY888's monster build but anyone on FB can check out SMG's current LNF project here:

http://www.facebook.com/ProjectScarab?ref=ts&v=wall
ProjectScarab is offline  
Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM
  #62  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectScarab View Post
Not to take anything away from SKY888's monster build but anyone on FB can check out SMG's current LNF project here:

http://www.facebook.com/ProjectScarab?ref=ts&v=wall



hahaha! Hurry up with your build bro! I will be broke soon..........with this freakin rental car! lol
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-14-2010, 09:26 AM
  #63  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Wangspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-22-09
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't say I'm a fan of the compound turbo setup, but good luck. How are you only making 400whp on a GT35 with meth? That is low. What type of dyno and how much boost? If you're in this far you might as well get a full ECU system.

The other comment is your tubular manifold. 321 is nice but for it to work it needs to be back purged while welded. Also no header / manifold will be immune to cracking if the tubos aren't properly supported. I see so many kits ( other cars ) that have no support, and then people act confused when they crack or leak.

Good luck. I think you should be doing this on an expendable car because there's a good chance it will sit for MANY weeks. If you really think it will only be down for 2 weeks or something while parts get fabled and installed, that's not realistic. This is the kind of thing that takes months and requires tons of downtime. Plus tuning will be a bitch. That first WOT run could go crazy and even with both WG open, you may get a totally unexpected result, and grenade the motor.
Wangspeed is offline  
Old 08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Only making 400whp....due to fuel delivery issues. HPT doesn't have enough tables open. LNF doesn't have an aftermarket camshaft which should also help with power. Plus most of all, we only kept it around 400whp.......since most other LNF engines with more than 420whp starts bending rods or destroying their pistons. My stock internals are still intact, no reason to get them destroyed by going more than 400whp

I don't use any standalone ECU...since there's none so far.

tubular manifold will have enough supports/brackets to support the weight of the turbos....to prevent cracking/leaks.

it will be a long process......so we'll see what happens.

thanks
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-16-2010, 02:02 AM
  #65  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 03-19-07
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 14,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
Only making 400whp....due to fuel delivery issues. HPT doesn't have enough tables open. LNF doesn't have an aftermarket camshaft which should also help with power. Plus most of all, we only kept it around 400whp.......since most other LNF engines with more than 420whp starts bending rods or destroying their pistons. My stock internals are still intact, no reason to get them destroyed by going more than 400whp

I don't use any standalone ECU...since there's none so far.

tubular manifold will have enough supports/brackets to support the weight of the turbos....to prevent cracking/leaks.

it will be a long process......so we'll see what happens.

thanks
only with a **** tune zzp didn't bend their rods till over 500 whp

yes i know RWD has a bigger drivetrain loss.. but still .. and there are a few ways to get around the fueling issue.. on stock ecm
elecblue06 is offline  
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 AM
  #66  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
only with a **** tune zzp didn't bend their rods till over 500 whp

yes i know RWD has a bigger drivetrain loss.. but still .. and there are a few ways to get around the fueling issue.. on stock ecm
definitely tune might be the cause of blown engines.

like what I said, I don't want to risk it. My car is a daily driver......and I don't have funds for a new block

besides having HPT-trifecta tune that ZZP did...........what other "ways" to get around the fueling issue?

my friend is using a secondary fuel rail w/ microsquirt........

my water/meth helps a bit......

besides those....please let me know what other ways to get around.....that will be helpful
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
  #67  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 03-19-07
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 14,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
definitely tune might be the cause of blown engines.

like what I said, I don't want to risk it. My car is a daily driver......and I don't have funds for a new block

besides having HPT-trifecta tune that ZZP did...........what other "ways" to get around the fueling issue?

my friend is using a secondary fuel rail w/ microsquirt........

my water/meth helps a bit......

besides those....please let me know what other ways to get around.....that will be helpful
zzp was able to raise the fuel pressure prior to the trifecta -hpt combo idk how they did it but they did
elecblue06 is offline  
Old 08-16-2010, 12:16 PM
  #68  
Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: 06-03-08
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
zzp was able to raise the fuel pressure prior to the trifecta -hpt combo idk how they did it but they did
We simply modified the voltage signal coming from the fuel pressure sensor. If you lower the voltage the ECM sees, it raises the fuel pressure. It's not technically the right way to do it, but it was easily done for free with stuff I had lying around the shop.
Matt M is offline  
Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM
  #69  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06 View Post
zzp was able to raise the fuel pressure prior to the trifecta -hpt combo idk how they did it but they did



Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
We simply modified the voltage signal coming from the fuel pressure sensor. If you lower the voltage the ECM sees, it raises the fuel pressure. It's not technically the right way to do it, but it was easily done for free with stuff I had lying around the shop.
thanks!

are you guys still using this method.....or the trifecta-hpt tune is now what are you guys using?

Last edited by SKY888; 08-16-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
  #70  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-12-09
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice build Antonio. Glad Werks helped you out some

Can't wait to see it finished. Maybe I will have to build a V8 Solstice to compete eh? Lol.
mkriebs is offline  
Old 08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: 03-19-07
Location: newburgh,ny
Posts: 14,911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
thanks!

are you guys still using this method.....or the trifecta-hpt tune is now what are you guys using?
currently they're using the trifecta hpt setup just giving you other options thats all
elecblue06 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
  #72  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
Nice build Antonio. Glad Werks helped you out some

Can't wait to see it finished. Maybe I will have to build a V8 Solstice to compete eh? Lol.
thanks Matt! Yeah, Dave hooked me up with that big-ass IC and wastegate.......I'm glad. I really like that IC. Will compliment my build

V8 solstice? hmmmmmmm....you better turbo it to keep up! lol jk!

I did this...so I can also be VERY different and on-of-a-kind among kappas......and of course its an advantage during car shows. Plus of course I want instant power..........unlike my old gt35 set-up thats a tad bit laggy especially during city driving.

Now I'm looking for wider wheels at the back! Might end up getting 10" wheels and 295 tires.......and roll the fenders
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 AM
  #73  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
UPDATE:

BTF just received the 321 and 304 stainless steel from Burns stainless last Wednesday. He will start working on the manifold and compound set-up today.

SMG is still finishing up with Project Scarab...and one cobalt. SMG might start disassembling the engine and transmission next week.

Might take about 2 months....
SKY888 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:49 AM
  #74  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 01-12-09
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,220
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SKY888 View Post
thanks Matt! Yeah, Dave hooked me up with that big-ass IC and wastegate.......I'm glad. I really like that IC. Will compliment my build

V8 solstice? hmmmmmmm....you better turbo it to keep up! lol jk!

I did this...so I can also be VERY different and on-of-a-kind among kappas......and of course its an advantage during car shows. Plus of course I want instant power..........unlike my old gt35 set-up thats a tad bit laggy especially during city driving.

Now I'm looking for wider wheels at the back! Might end up getting 10" wheels and 295 tires.......and roll the fenders
Have you considered the CCW wheels we have on sale right now? Can't beat the price!
mkriebs is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM
  #75  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 05-04-10
Location: RI
Posts: 892
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkriebs View Post
Have you considered the CCW wheels we have on sale right now? Can't beat the price!
yeah I saw them posted.....

unfortunately, they're 19" and I'm not really into chrome/polished shiny rims

I like them black
SKY888 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build!


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.