ADVANCED Performance Modifications For advanced modification topics only.

LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ebristol
I like this build.

But I do think it is funny how in the past if someone talked about compounding boost with a super/turbo charger setup they would get flamed.

But since this is a turbo/turbo setup everything is ok! lol
It's more strange that people know that rear mount turbos do not work nearly as well as engine mounted turbos, but in this case people think it's a good idea.

OP- Good luck on your build. It's going to be a serious challenge.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SMG ftw
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by WickedSS2005
Because tuners mostly dislike blowers and think turbos are the only power makers. That's why the twincharge idea never really took off short of the couple ZZP-done cars.
Couple? lol. There's a lot of them out there. Only about 1 out of 10 builds gets discussed on the forums.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt M
Couple? lol. There's a lot of them out there. Only about 1 out of 10 builds gets discussed on the forums.
I think you guys should do a raffle type deal to give away one of you kits what you think
Old 08-08-2010, 10:19 PM

do want now
Old 08-10-2010, 03:38 PM

It's more strange that people know that rear mount turbos do not work nearly as well as engine mounted turbos, but in this case people think it's a good idea.

I agree they're not as affected but i'm not sure how a compound setup is a rear mount? unless there is something I missed
Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elecblue06
I agree they're not as affected but i'm not sure how a compound setup is a rear mount? unless there is something I missed
might still work....

but an issue that might wana be considered....

a.) loss of thermal velocity through that long pipe......going to the rear big turbo

b.) and the extra/second oil pump wirings that feed the rear big turbo might get cut. It will my daily driver, and sometimes object might cause this to happen...............and will lead to a sudden death of the big turbo.

c.) air filter getting wet during heavy rain/deep snow (its my daily driver)

I was actually planning before about this to make it simpler instead of having to relocate all the stuff inside the engine bay......

- plan was having that long exhaust pipe.....be coated w/ swaintech and also wrapped with - DEI thermal wrap.

- also have a 3" pipe that will become a 2.5" pipe by the middle of the long exhaust pipe. Will help with the thermal velocity.

- and the long pipe going back to the engine......will serve as an "intercooler/pre-cooler" ...so all the compressed air will be cooled.....before reaching the inlet of the small turbo.

but that's my last resort....if things will not fit inside the engine bay

thank you!

it will really be a VERY SERIOUS project .......

Last edited by SKY888; 08-11-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM

why don't you just go with a really nice big turbo setup? u will still push the lnf farther than anybody else and it wont be as painful with the r&d
Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by rollingboostedss
I think you guys should do a raffle type deal to give away one of you kits what you think
yessssssssssssssss
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by 08ShowbaltLS
why don't you just go with a really nice big turbo setup? u will still push the lnf farther than anybody else and it wont be as painful with the r&d
cuz I don't like the lag a big turbo offers
Old 08-13-2010, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dayta
SMG ftw
Not to take anything away from SKY888's monster build but anyone on FB can check out SMG's current LNF project here:

http://www.facebook.com/ProjectScarab?ref=ts&v=wall
Old 08-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectScarab
Not to take anything away from SKY888's monster build but anyone on FB can check out SMG's current LNF project here:

http://www.facebook.com/ProjectScarab?ref=ts&v=wall

hahaha! Hurry up with your build bro! I will be broke soon..........with this freakin rental car! lol
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't say I'm a fan of the compound turbo setup, but good luck. How are you only making 400whp on a GT35 with meth? That is low. What type of dyno and how much boost? If you're in this far you might as well get a full ECU system.

The other comment is your tubular manifold. 321 is nice but for it to work it needs to be back purged while welded. Also no header / manifold will be immune to cracking if the tubos aren't properly supported. I see so many kits ( other cars ) that have no support, and then people act confused when they crack or leak.

Good luck. I think you should be doing this on an expendable car because there's a good chance it will sit for MANY weeks. If you really think it will only be down for 2 weeks or something while parts get fabled and installed, that's not realistic. This is the kind of thing that takes months and requires tons of downtime. Plus tuning will be a bitch. That first WOT run could go crazy and even with both WG open, you may get a totally unexpected result, and grenade the motor.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:04 PM

Only making 400whp....due to fuel delivery issues. HPT doesn't have enough tables open. LNF doesn't have an aftermarket camshaft which should also help with power. Plus most of all, we only kept it around 400whp.......since most other LNF engines with more than 420whp starts bending rods or destroying their pistons. My stock internals are still intact, no reason to get them destroyed by going more than 400whp

I don't use any standalone ECU...since there's none so far.

tubular manifold will have enough supports/brackets to support the weight of the turbos....to prevent cracking/leaks.

it will be a long process......so we'll see what happens.

thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by SKY888
Only making 400whp....due to fuel delivery issues. HPT doesn't have enough tables open. LNF doesn't have an aftermarket camshaft which should also help with power. Plus most of all, we only kept it around 400whp.......since most other LNF engines with more than 420whp starts bending rods or destroying their pistons. My stock internals are still intact, no reason to get them destroyed by going more than 400whp

I don't use any standalone ECU...since there's none so far.

tubular manifold will have enough supports/brackets to support the weight of the turbos....to prevent cracking/leaks.

it will be a long process......so we'll see what happens.

thanks
only with a **** tune zzp didn't bend their rods till over 500 whp

yes i know RWD has a bigger drivetrain loss.. but still .. and there are a few ways to get around the fueling issue.. on stock ecm
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 AM

only with a **** tune zzp didn't bend their rods till over 500 whp

yes i know RWD has a bigger drivetrain loss.. but still .. and there are a few ways to get around the fueling issue.. on stock ecm
definitely tune might be the cause of blown engines.

like what I said, I don't want to risk it. My car is a daily driver......and I don't have funds for a new block

besides having HPT-trifecta tune that ZZP did...........what other "ways" to get around the fueling issue?

my friend is using a secondary fuel rail w/ microsquirt........

my water/meth helps a bit......

besides those....please let me know what other ways to get around.....that will be helpful
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM

definitely tune might be the cause of blown engines.

like what I said, I don't want to risk it. My car is a daily driver......and I don't have funds for a new block

besides having HPT-trifecta tune that ZZP did...........what other "ways" to get around the fueling issue?

my friend is using a secondary fuel rail w/ microsquirt........

my water/meth helps a bit......

besides those....please let me know what other ways to get around.....that will be helpful
zzp was able to raise the fuel pressure prior to the trifecta -hpt combo idk how they did it but they did
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

zzp was able to raise the fuel pressure prior to the trifecta -hpt combo idk how they did it but they did
We simply modified the voltage signal coming from the fuel pressure sensor. If you lower the voltage the ECM sees, it raises the fuel pressure. It's not technically the right way to do it, but it was easily done for free with stuff I had lying around the shop.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:21 AM

We simply modified the voltage signal coming from the fuel pressure sensor. If you lower the voltage the ECM sees, it raises the fuel pressure. It's not technically the right way to do it, but it was easily done for free with stuff I had lying around the shop.
thanks!

are you guys still using this method.....or the trifecta-hpt tune is now what are you guys using?

Last edited by SKY888; 08-16-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Nice build Antonio. Glad Werks helped you out some

Can't wait to see it finished. Maybe I will have to build a V8 Solstice to compete eh? Lol.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 PM

thanks!

are you guys still using this method.....or the trifecta-hpt tune is now what are you guys using?
currently they're using the trifecta hpt setup just giving you other options thats all
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mkriebs
Nice build Antonio. Glad Werks helped you out some

Can't wait to see it finished. Maybe I will have to build a V8 Solstice to compete eh? Lol.
thanks Matt! Yeah, Dave hooked me up with that big-ass IC and wastegate.......I'm glad. I really like that IC. Will compliment my build

V8 solstice? hmmmmmmm....you better turbo it to keep up! lol jk!

I did this...so I can also be VERY different and on-of-a-kind among kappas......and of course its an advantage during car shows. Plus of course I want instant power..........unlike my old gt35 set-up thats a tad bit laggy especially during city driving.

Now I'm looking for wider wheels at the back! Might end up getting 10" wheels and 295 tires.......and roll the fenders
Old 08-20-2010, 07:43 AM

UPDATE:

BTF just received the 321 and 304 stainless steel from Burns stainless last Wednesday. He will start working on the manifold and compound set-up today.

SMG is still finishing up with Project Scarab...and one cobalt. SMG might start disassembling the engine and transmission next week.

Might take about 2 months....
Old 08-20-2010, 09:49 AM

thanks Matt! Yeah, Dave hooked me up with that big-ass IC and wastegate.......I'm glad. I really like that IC. Will compliment my build

V8 solstice? hmmmmmmm....you better turbo it to keep up! lol jk!

I did this...so I can also be VERY different and on-of-a-kind among kappas......and of course its an advantage during car shows. Plus of course I want instant power..........unlike my old gt35 set-up thats a tad bit laggy especially during city driving.

Now I'm looking for wider wheels at the back! Might end up getting 10" wheels and 295 tires.......and roll the fenders
Have you considered the CCW wheels we have on sale right now? Can't beat the price!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mkriebs
Have you considered the CCW wheels we have on sale right now? Can't beat the price!
yeah I saw them posted.....

unfortunately, they're 19" and I'm not really into chrome/polished shiny rims

I like them black

Quick Reply: LIPSTICK's 800hp first LNF compound turbo/engine build!