Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Mesh grilles. Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mesh grilles. Opinions?

Hey guys. After months of preparation and procrastination, I finally went to the Home Depot and bought some mesh to replace the original grilles. Although I haven't seen any 2.2's with mesh, I'm pretty sure the car'll look far better than with the originals. I have an idea of how to install and fix them into the bumper, so that isn't much of a problem as of now, I think I'll learn as I go.

Since I'm already at it, I thought "Heck, why not add some fogs? They look pretty good!". So, yeah. I'm trying to see where I should put them and IF I should actually do it.

Anyone wants to add their .2?

Here're some illustrations of where I'd mainly install them.

-> This one kind of appeals to me. I know it gives you that "Mustang" look, so I don't know if it would look too fishy. I also don't know if modifying the bumber to fit them would be a necessity. If so, then it's a big no-no.

Thanks for the input!

Edit: By the way, my webserver has been acting up lately. So if you can't see either the images I posted or my signature... It means it's screwed.

Edit2: And YES those X's are my artistical illustration or how mesh would look like. Didn't feel like taking a lot of time to do them...

Last edited by ZeroShinohara; 06-02-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:52 PM

pics didnt come up dude
Old 06-02-2007, 12:54 PM

Yeah, it's the ghey hosting company. I think they're doing some maintenance. It's up at the moment.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Honestly, I wouldnt put Home Depot Meshing. Theres a diference between normal meshing(purchased at hardware stores) and Auto/bumper meshing. I had proper meshing put into my bodykit and it looks SWEET. I can ask my detailer where you can get this meshing.

its a slight difference in texture, smoother surface (very easy to paint on), and stronger than hardware store mesh.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:04 PM

Well, I'd really like that. Although I'm not putting it without giving it a proper paint/clear job, of course.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:07 PM

I vote for the second design.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Ugh, do you mean the picture in the middle or the first one, where it says "2"? I was supposed to post the first one to avoid confusion, but since it didn't have the fogs, I saw no reason to.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:09 PM

wish i had the removable lower bumper inserts
Old 06-02-2007, 01:11 PM

not a big fan of the last one, but the first and middle pic would look nice. probably gunna have to go with the middle tho. nice pics btw.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by fastfreddy7
I vote for the second design.
I agree... design 2 would be the most functional w/o loosing air flow to motor!

design 1 is too common

design 3 is blah

how about adding some brake cooling ducts?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Hmm, yeah, I think that the one in the middle is the most appealing then.

nice pics btw.
Thanks, just traced on Photoshop. Don't like copying/pasting stuff, since its pretty hard to make it look natural, so I'd rather draw it.

how about adding some brake cooling ducts?
If you 1) Tell me what they are 2) How they look 3) How to do it, I'd have no problem in doing it

Sorry for the noobness.

Edit:

I meant the middle pic.
Yeah, I thought so too... Funny thing is that I like the other two, but don't quite dig that one at all.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:18 PM

I meant the middle pic.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See, now I like the first design. The fogs are in a good place and they are different than the rest of us who already have them so it will def stand out as a mod all in its own. I would love to see how this turns out and a How-to while you are doing it. I have been thinking of something along the same lines and opening up that center piece more would be a good place for a few of those slim transmission oil coolers.

Good idea, lets see how it turns out.

BTW, I think I would try and find the mesh made for the car, but maybe if we see pics of the actual HD mesh we could be swayed
Old 06-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
See, now I like the first design. The fogs are in a good place and they are different than the rest of us who already have them so it will def stand out as a mod all in its own. I would love to see how this turns out and a How-to while you are doing it. I have been thinking of something along the same lines and opening up that center piece more would be a good place for a few of those slim transmission oil coolers.

Good idea, lets see how it turns out.

BTW, I think I would try and find the mesh made for the car, but maybe if we see pics of the actual HD mesh we could be swayed
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Placing them on the sides wouldn't really stand out of the other models, SS included, even though the fascia is completely different.

And yeah, I'll definitely make a How-to when I get to it. I was hoping to start today, but like you all probably know already, it's pouring down here... Raining nonstop since yesterday. Sucks.

I'll get a pic of the Mesh I got. Give me a minute.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:31 PM

The second one looks way much gooder
Old 06-02-2007, 01:41 PM

Here's the HD Mesh. I think it'll look good once its painted black and cleared, but I'll have to try it on the car first to see how it goes.

And this is how my working area looks like... :|
Old 06-02-2007, 01:44 PM

That actually might not look to bad painted. Definitely can't wiat to see a finished product
Old 06-02-2007, 01:50 PM

Yep, I don't think it'll look like crap either, but can't know for sure until I do it. My neighbor has a 96 Civic with a body kit with the same kind of mesh, but it looks like crap because the paint wasn't well done, and the body kit huge, so it almost doesnt look like the mesh is there until you look very close. I also think it's a tad smaller than what I have, so...

Anyway, I posted a sort of midpoint between 1 and 2. Although I like the first one, the second one seems more natural. What do you guys think?
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 PM

upload them to ur gallery and host them here, i guess your host site is having problems again
edit: NVM i see them now

I thought about doing mesh on my 2.2 but thought it would look kind of honda civic-y,
but don't take it as a diss or anything, i wanna see your plans
It looks good on a sketch but you never know until u see it on the actual car, so if u do it and you don't like it well there are 2 possibilties, if you have the base, youre SOL bc youll have had to cut into the bumper, or if you have an LS or LT you can just put the plastic inserts back in
Old 06-02-2007, 02:00 PM

Yeah, my bad. Their servers are having a pretty hard time staying up, it seems. Try it a few times, it just loaded back for me.

Edit: There, they're hosted in the gallery, you guys shouldn't have any problems now
Old 06-02-2007, 02:05 PM

i like either the first or fourth.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:25 PM

Lol... Little update for you guys.

After spending half an hour trying to get the factor grilles out, it started pouring again. I had only a few minutes to put everything back again and get back to the drawing board.

The center piece comes out easily and besides the two bottom holes that the grilles fit in and the two fuggly bars that I think serve no purpose at all, everything seems fine and ready to go.

The two side grilles are a completely different story. I couldn't remove neither of them, even though I know they come out. What I realized is that the side ones aren't open. Even if I did take out the grilles, I'd, well, bump into the bumper. There aren't any exits on those sides. And I figured that mesh in the center piece only would look like crap.

So... any suggestions? Here's a pic I took.

I really don't want anything to do with dremelling that off... so I guess I need something else to do. :\

It looks good on a sketch but you never know until u see it on the actual car, so if u do it and you don't like it well there are 2 possibilties, if you have the base, youre SOL bc youll have had to cut into the bumper, or if you have an LS or LT you can just put the plastic inserts back in
Yeah, I know that some models don't have the removable inserts. Mine does, but like I stated up there, they don't take me anywhere. Taking them out and putting the mesh in would really be no help at all.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:32 PM

I was thinking about doing this too with my car. Good luck with the mod and if it turns out well, you might have some company!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks! And well, here's the deal.

Like the picture says, I just spotted where the original factory insert would have a hole to install the cobalt foglamps. If I were to continue with this idea, I'd have to use a dremel or something of the like to cut open the bumper and work from there. The problem is that I don't know if there's anything sensitive behind that area, so if I were to cut open an area that WAS supposed to receive no air at all... ****.

So yeah. Answer to this will be removing the whole bumper and do a test with the mesh first. If it looks good in the mid, I'll think about taking this one on.