Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Step-by-Step Interior Painting No pix yet :-(

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Step-by-Step Interior Painting No pix yet :-(

Alright sooo, alot of people have been wondering about the painting of the interior. Well I'll be done completely with mine within the month so pics will be up. But here's what I use and where I go.

Paint: I like to use Krylon. Go to walmart and get a few cans of primer, paint of ur choice, and the non-yellowing crystal clear coat. I bought some last night, it's 2.97 a can. A bit pricey, but It's deff worth it. I have a 4 dr white balt, so my colors are white and blue.

Sandpaper (optional): If u want a clean look for the interior and donnot like rigidy leathery look pn the plastic, sand it down. This is time consuming. But it is deff worth it in the end. Once again, at Wal-Mart buy the 3M wet-sand paper. It has 220, 330, and 400 grit. It's like 3 bucks, buy maybe 2 packs of it. If not u still want some to wet sand inbetween coats.

Steps: Okay so there a billion panels and i'm painting everyone of them. I'm not going through all the steps to remove them because most of them are easy except the dashboard and the glove box and doors. I haven't figured out how to remove the dash or glove box yet because I haven't had much time working 2 jobs and going to school. But doors all U have to do is pop the plastic cover in the door panel, remove the screws, then in the side pocket remove the screws in that. For the window crank, place some newspaper or a towel on the ground and wedge a towel in-between and a clip should pop out. The reason for the cover on the ground is because the clip is hard to find if it flies out and u can easily spot it with something on the ground. Then the crank should pop out and the door handle just needs to be fidled with and u can manuver the panel out.

First, after u remove the panel ur painting, clean it with dish soap and water. This is so everything adheres to it and nothing foreign will be painted over. If ur sanding, u can skip this step and start wet sanding. Get the panel wet and go to town on it. Like I said, this is time consuming, but its worth it. U wanna use the 220 grit and just sand it all down. U want it smooth and not bumpy. After that wash it down, and get ready for some primer. U want to be in around 50*f-80*f temperatures so everything adheres right, and u want to be in a VERY VERY well ventilated area. The first time I painted my friends was in a basement and we were high as ******* hell. Not too cool. Lol. But u want to spray evenly and consistantly about 6 inches away. After the first coat dries (if using krylon about 30-45 minutes) wet sand it with the 400 grit paper. Be gentle or u will just sand all the primer off. Do about 2 coats of primer, with wet sanding in-between for a smooth base coat.

Secondly after u've primered ur panel, and ur satisfied with the surface, ur ready for paint. Once again, wait until everything is dry and be patient or u will leave finger-prints in the panel. Not a good look, lol. Now once again wipe the panel down so no debris is cought in the paint. Spray 6 inches away and be consistant or u will blotch. The primer wasn't really a big deal but the painting is important. U want to do like a good 2-3 coats of paint with light wet sanding in-between each coat. If ur doing multiple colors like me u want to tape off areas that u've painted and start painting ure second color in the desired area. It's kinda tricky because sometimes if u dont wait long enough u'll peel off the paint u already painted. It can be a huige pain in the ass. Soo patience is of the essence. After u paint each coat, wet sand it again, then wipe it down.

Third, once of the most important things is clear coat. If u don't clear coat, the paint will fade, and scratches will appear easier. When I first painted my interior I didnt sand down my panels and i kept the rigidy look. The paint chipped off easily, and it was a mess. When u clear coat, u want to spray 2 good thick but not too thick coats. Basically u want to spray it very constantly. Its tricky because u can't really see the clear coat, since, duh its clear. So getting all of the panel coated is tough. each coat u want to just spray thick and get everything. Let it set, wash it down, and 2nd coat it.

Now just wait and marvel at ur hard work and dedication. Once again, if u don't let each coat set, u will have fingerprints in it and u have to sand them out. Its tricky but if u take ur time with everything, u will get so many looks at car shows, or pretty much everywhere. I bought 2 cans of Krylon primer, 2 cans of white, 2 cans of blue, 2 cans of clear coat, 2 packs of 3M wet sand paper, 1 pack of regular walmart brand sand paper, and the latest issue of Moddified Mag, and it was 45 bux. Pretty cheap. I'm sure with all the painting i'm doing I'll make quite a few more trips. But most of u guys just want a few panels painted, so basically u won't spend too much dough. Painting ur interior is a good custom mod for cheap, and u can turn alot of heads if done right. Sooo like I said sadly no pics yet, but I'm sure u guys don't need them yet, because if u do what i'm doing u'll see how sick the sanded panels looks. But I'm gonna borrow my gf's camera maybe sunday and take some pics of the few panels I have painted and u guys can decide which u like better. I'll even take pics of the panels i painted of the summer without sanding them. It's not a pretty sight. lol. well, tell me if i'm missing anything, or PM me for questions or just write comments. This is my first write-up, I hope ppl can understand it since I'm mad tired. lol. Well, good-night all, and good-luck.

-ryan
Old 03-17-2007, 05:26 PM

nice write up do you have any pics of all the parts youve painted so far? i want to paint pretty much everything red
Old 03-17-2007, 06:20 PM

Oh, nice, nice. Now I can get down to actually choosing the colors I'll go with Thanks man.