Appearance Body Kits, Hoods, Wheels, Spoilers, Interiors

Turn Signal Wiring Question - LED bulb blinker issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turn Signal Wiring Question - LED bulb blinker issue

I have some basic questions on the turn signal wiring for our Cobalts. Bought some 12V automotive replacement LED bulbs from superbrightLEDs.com (45-LED Tower Type 3157 Bulb Specifications) and wired them all in.

Took a long hard look at the wiring diagrams and decided to add my resistor circuit to the light blue wire and then the ground (talking specifically on the left front). Did not have hyperflash and things were all good, parking lights lit up correctly, flashed correctly high and low. Overall, not blown away by the light intensity, but that's a different discussion.

A week passes and since I'm still constantly checking them because I'm not satisfied with the light output, I notice one night that I can't get the left front signal to blink. The bulb is illuminated 'low', but no matter what I do (changing to each light mode on the stalk), I cannot get that bulb to blink. Only way it will blink the 'high' is with the hazard lights.

So I begin to investigate, and I notice on the back of the plug, in addition to the light blue and black wires, there are two brown wires. I look back at the wiring diagram, and there are no brown wires anywhere on it.

My gut tells me that these brown wires are a part of the problem and need to be included in the wiring modifications to accomodate the LED bulbs... I'm a mechanical engineer, not an electrical, so I am not at that 'aha!' moment just yet.

If anyone here knows what these brown wires do, I'd really appreciate the info, so I can rethink this! Thanks!! Here are some pics..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44539537@N03/7540199698/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44539537@N03/7540203494/
^^ As a reference, on this wiring print, I have the LED resistor wired between 'A' and 'G' on the LF turn signal bulb.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ibought my switchback turn signals from Vleds.com. tapped the black wire for ground and the blue wire for the resistor on the socket harness

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...isters-276188/
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Follow my How-to that brandon posted above.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The brown wire is your parking light circuit. It shouldn't have anything to do with the turn signal circuit, it just illuminates the "low" part of the bulb.

I would suggest you switch the LED bulbs from left to right and vice versa, see if the problem follows the bulb. If it does, then you have a screwy bulb. LED bulbs aren't immune to failures, so this is very possible.

If the problem remains on the driver's side, remove the resistor from the wiring and see if that changes anything. If the light blinks now, your resistor is mucking everything up. If still nothing, you may have a more serious wiring issue. Check the contacts in the socket to see if each contact is getting voltage when it should. If not, you'll have to start tracing the wiring to see if something is messed up.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Figured it out. Did I what I should've done the whole time and root caused it correctly. I tested it in all conditions and actually found that the bulb gets stuck 'high' after about 5 minutes or so of use. Swapped out components and turns out the bulb is bad.

Thanks NCC for pushing me in the direction I should've done first!