Cobalt SS Vendor Reviews Please post your first hand service experience with Cobalt SS vendors.

Don't be surprised if you get a dirty message on your answering machine, ZZP...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by klloyd
Customer service does need some improvement but their parts are top notch. I get frustrated when I can't get ahold of them but when it comes down to it I still buy my parts from them. When it comes time to get a head/turbo kit and sleeved block they will be who I go to because they have proven their work.
I only buy from zzp if there's no other option which is never the case.
Everything I want for my car can be bought elsewhere.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RecklessL61
in for ZZPs exusse into why this is exceptable and how this guys is lying and how they are gods like always
Well, apparently I am trash talking them on here from what they said on the phone....but oh well. Said I had emails in my junk mail which I did from 4 weeks ago when we did the verification and their verification department told me that. But just a tip to anyone getting an engine built, they told me it takes 5 weeks for them to build one so I was just misinformed by them and got heated over nothing I suppose.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 AM

i had ok service from them when i bought my DP from them, called multiple times and emailed but nothin, just a few "ill look into its" or "i think it shipped"
**** like that
good products tho dont get me wrong
Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 AM

Oh yeah, great products. I just need them to know that wasn't a trash talk, it was a "If I don't hear a status update about my engine I'm gonna get my money back somehow because I was told it would take 2 weeks and its been 4." I would not have gotten nearly this mad had they have told me from the beginning it would be 5 weeks.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 AM

glad to see it worked out for you
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM

of course you're trash talking.......lmao. that would be the reply you get.

last time i checked telling the truth was not **** talking.
you're telling everyone how shitty their customer service system is & empowered potential future customers of theirs to think twice.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
cuuuuhhhhhhhhllllliiiiiiiiccccccccckkkkkkkk
Old 03-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Yea, IMHO if you order something big from them, talk to Matt because he seems to always know whats up.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM

Dear ZZP,

Hire me as your CSR and I will take your company THROUGH THE ******* ROOF!!

Till then.. tata
Randy
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a lot to respond here. I'll start with the OP's situation.

The engine has taken a lot longer to build than we had anticipated. We have one engine builder and he's EXTREMELY backed up. In that sense, we're a victim of our own success. We are selling an engine or a transmission nearly daily. Thousands of other parts. It's been tough to keep up. Overall as the owner, I feel we're doing an excellent job. However, in the case of this motor, our communication hasn't been good.

I saw two emails from the OP and FWD them to Henry. After hours I spoke with Henry and he said 'there's nothing to tell the customer so I couldn't reply. Todd isn't done with the engine'.
I get very frustrated with my employees when this happens because 'nothing' is never a good answer. A customer always needs to be told what's going on. Furthermore, I have told my employees 10,000 times 'if you aren't going to respond or do anything, tell me so I can handle it. Otherwise I'm assuming you're responding'.

I can say that Steve did send out the emails. 7 IIRC and when he received a phone call, he was told that no one has replied to any emails. Some of his emails were just to say 'are you getting my email?' and there was no reply.

Anyway, the engine is being worked on as fast as humanly possible. I apologize for the long wait. I know when you spend money, you want fast service. In the future, you can always email me directly at zooomer@aol.com and say 'no one is answering my emails.

------------------------
To respond to the rest of what's in this thread:

-People who are talking about lawyers, suing, credit card chargebacks, and so on....
Why? You act like it takes a bunch of force to get a refund or your money back. You know a few effective easier route? Ask to cancel your order. It's really that simple. Honestly it is. We are not OTT, we don't have BS restocking fees or fake tracking #'s. I have no idea why people talk about lawyers being involved when they could simple just ask for a refund. Do you do that with Best buy too? Problem with your purchase so you call your lawyer? No, you just go in and get a refund. ZZP is really that easy as well.

-ZZP is growing. In fact, we've grown for 11 out of 12 years in business. We're 34% up from 2011 and 11 was a record year. Every year is a record year. But growing is hard. It's not just a matter of hiring more people. We do, but part of why ZZP grows is the experience we create for the customer. Do you think you can just hire your way out of a customer service problem? There's a post where is guy is mad because he didn't get good advice on taking his axle out. Well, guess what? There are literally 10,000 things to know about a Cobalt. All you guys want to call 'the experts' but get mad if we hire someone who doesn't know an intricate detail about your car that you don't know!!! Then you get mad if our expert techs are too busy to answer your calls. Then gen mad if those techs who should be building your order (as engine above) are answering calls instead of building your parts. Get it? Think about it. It's really quite a simple problem with no simple solution.

-We have 27 employees currently. An office assistant was hired 1 week ago, engine builder assistant hired 2 weeks ago, Ecotec CSR hired 2 months ago, additional mechanic hired 3 months ago. We are growing but it takes YEARS for these new people to give the type of knowledge and service you guys are demanding. Our new CSR showed me this post. But he doesn't know what to say or how long the engine will take. He can't even read through the 100's of emails we get daily much less understand them all and answer.

-Do I need a tune when I relocate the MAF
-How much HP with XXX and XXX give me
-How much power will this hold
-how do I install this?
-will your part work with this other company's part?
-Do 255 tires fit w/o rubbing with your lowering springs
-what is the spring rate of your lowering springs
-do you have a tune for e47
-what's the spool difference from a 256 to a 259 turbo?
-can I change the injector size of a 5th injector
-how long is the top bolt that holds on the IC pump
-what thickness is your gasket on the phenolic spacer
-what diameter is your turbo coupler inside?
-What's the difference from these two plugs?
-what gap should I run for xxx
-how much for these 30 items shipped to Canada, ok. what if I don't want the downpipe. How long will it take to get here
-Can you change my order to red? (who are you?)

and hundreds more EVERY DAY! These are HARD emails to answer day after day. A new person has to go ask someone else. That other person then can't do their job. If ZZP wasn't growing, it would be easy. Then again, you'd be upset that we aren't adding the new products you're asking for. So we're doing the best we can and appreciate being #1. It ain't easy.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Good answer, end thread.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:46 PM

^good post zoomer. you admitted that it was wrong from your employees not answering emails.
not every company owner will admit stuff like that.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Good answer, end thread.
X2. Always have faith in zzp. Ordered my turbo kit from them on Friday and they had it shipped out by thursday. Less than a week not bad at all especially with custom dp work and theyre busy up the wazoo. Also responded to every phone call and email same day.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM

yeah ZZP has NEVER let me down. other companies i have had a couple issues with. but they even got worked out.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:06 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Good answer, end thread.
I second this.

Zoomer, I can empathize with your situation ~ and this is where "damage control" on the part of replying to inquiries will do wonders for you.

Might I try to make a suggestion?

(keep in mind I haven't been on your page in a bit)
On your page citing contact information maybe you can clearly spell out how emails will be replied to, and the order in which they will be replied;
  • customers inquireis regaurding orders (status revisions ect) must have the order number in the subject line, and be directed to the correct department.
  • general inquiries must be directed to the most appropriate department.

eg:
Drivetrain;
Drivetrain order inquiries: driveorder@zzp.com
Drivetrain general inquiries: drivegen@zzp.com

You could also set up an automated reply system in which you spell out:
  • messages are dealt with in order
  • if you've emailed the wrong department your email may not get to the right person
  • you cannot be expected to know how your parts will interact with other aftermarket parts - your parts are engineered around factory components.
  • you cannot be expected to know if some of your third party components will cause issues with other third party parts (eg, lowering springs, and wheel/tire combination.

It sounds as though your emails are a bit of a 'dogs breakfast' right now ~ so some means of sorting them would help;
also department heads ect should be expected to spend at least a nominal amount of time each day dealing with "paperwork" like emails and what not....

I hope you can get this all ironed out...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I never had any problems with zzp
Old 03-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Frogstofall
So basically we need a lawyer to call and threaten them in order to get a response? Hogwash.... I have never purchased a thing from them and THIS is why. Lots of threads/messages like this here about their customer service.

You know better than that. Why are you acting that way?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zooomer

The engine has taken a lot longer to build than we had anticipated. We have one engine builder and he's EXTREMELY backed up. In that sense, we're a victim of our own success. We are selling an engine or a transmission nearly daily. Thousands of other parts. It's been tough to keep up. Overall as the owner, I feel we're doing an excellent job. However, in the case of this motor, our communication hasn't been good.

I saw two emails from the OP and FWD them to Henry. After hours I spoke with Henry and he said 'there's nothing to tell the customer so I couldn't reply. Todd isn't done with the engine'.
I get very frustrated with my employees when this happens because 'nothing' is never a good answer. A customer always needs to be told what's going on. Furthermore, I have told my employees 10,000 times 'if you aren't going to respond or do anything, tell me so I can handle it. Otherwise I'm assuming you're responding'.

I can say that Steve did send out the emails. 7 IIRC and when he received a phone call, he was told that no one has replied to any emails. Some of his emails were just to say 'are you getting my email?' and there was no reply.

Anyway, the engine is being worked on as fast as humanly possible. I apologize for the long wait. I know when you spend money, you want fast service. In the future, you can always email me directly at zooomer@aol.com and say 'no one is answering my emails.

------------------------

-People who are talking about lawyers, suing, credit card chargebacks, and so on....
Why? You act like it takes a bunch of force to get a refund or your money back. You know a few effective easier route? Ask to cancel your order. It's really that simple. Honestly it is. We are not OTT, we don't have BS restocking fees or fake tracking #'s. I have no idea why people talk about lawyers being involved when they could simple just ask for a refund. Do you do that with Best buy too? Problem with your purchase so you call your lawyer? No, you just go in and get a refund. ZZP is really that easy as well.

-ZZP is growing. In fact, we've grown for 11 out of 12 years in business. We're 34% up from 2011 and 11 was a record year. Every year is a record year. But growing is hard. It's not just a matter of hiring more people. We do, but part of why ZZP grows is the experience we create for the customer. Do you think you can just hire your way out of a customer service problem? There's a post where is guy is mad because he didn't get good advice on taking his axle out. Well, guess what? There are literally 10,000 things to know about a Cobalt. All you guys want to call 'the experts' but get mad if we hire someone who doesn't know an intricate detail about your car that you don't know!!! Then you get mad if our expert techs are too busy to answer your calls. Then gen mad if those techs who should be building your order (as engine above) are answering calls instead of building your parts. Get it? Think about it. It's really quite a simple problem with no simple solution.

-We have 27 employees currently. An office assistant was hired 1 week ago, engine builder assistant hired 2 weeks ago, Ecotec CSR hired 2 months ago, additional mechanic hired 3 months ago. We are growing but it takes YEARS for these new people to give the type of knowledge and service you guys are demanding. Our new CSR showed me this post. But he doesn't know what to say or how long the engine will take. He can't even read through the 100's of emails we get daily much less understand them all and answer.

-how do I install this?
-how much for these 30 items shipped to Canada, ok. what if I don't want the downpipe. How long will it take to get here

and hundreds more EVERY DAY! These are HARD emails to answer day after day. A new person has to go ask someone else. That other person then can't do their job. If ZZP wasn't growing, it would be easy. Then again, you'd be upset that we aren't adding the new products you're asking for. So we're doing the best we can and appreciate being #1. It ain't easy.
Although we've had our issues I just gained a lot more respect for you.
You responded elegantly and respectfully. I completely agree that not replying is not a viable way to proceed if there's no update. Thank you for handling this the way you did. Best of luck to you and the new employees. I'm sure you'll iron out the kinks and ensure your support improves.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 PM

------------------------

-how do I install this?

As i have stated in multiple threads in the past, when a vendor becomes the "go-to" source they begin receiving hundreds of emails regarding stupid questions or even relevant technical questions.

Hell Matt has answered some of my generic questions regarding manual boost control over ECM controlled on the S256et.

People still bring up black friday... honestly what did you expect and people were told that their could be some confusion and they would make everything right before black friday. I commend the way you responded Zoomer, it is direct and on point with no excuses. Every purchase from ZZP has been flawless for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Zoomer, in response to your message I had tried contacting you and you were the one who told me "I would guess two weeks" on the engine order. In the past I had issues with my turbo kit because you were backed up. Matt informed me that and if you would have informed me about my engine in that manner from the beginning I would have never responded the way I did. The reason I responded the way I did was due to miscommunication apparently which is weird because I always got both you and Steves emails every time before. I took it as you did not want to talk to me and felt disrespected as a customer in the way you responded in your email. Also if I got no response from you, how could I have expected to get a response when I would want to cancel the order? I strongly did not want to cancel my order due to ZZPs reputation with Ecotecs. If you guys could communicate more like Matt, I think it would help a lot.

Sorry if you took this thread wrong, but that is exactly why I took this route.

Nicholas Walton

Also I do understand you are swamped with a large number of emails. The only reason I use the email service is due to you guys even saying on your automated phone operator that email is the fastest route for communication for you guys. In the future I will contact you directly through email or phone because I really like your products. Hell, I bought a turbo kit then an engine in less than a few months from your company in particular when I could have had numerous other engine shops in my area build one for me but I believe in your company's reputation.

Last edited by FasterIsBetter; 03-23-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Zoomer, in response to your message I had tried contacting you and you were the one who told me "I would guess two weeks" on the engine order. In the past I had issues with my turbo kit because you were backed up. Matt informed me that and if you would have informed me about my engine in that manner from the beginning I would have never responded the way I did. The reason I responded the way I did was due to miscommunication apparently which is weird because I always got both you and Steves emails every time before. I took it as you did not want to talk to me and felt disrespected as a customer in the way you responded in your email. Also if I got no response from you, how could I have expected to get a response when I would want to cancel the order? I strongly did not want to cancel my order due to ZZPs reputation with Ecotecs. If you guys could communicate more like Matt, I think it would help a lot.

Sorry if you took this thread wrong, but that is exactly why I took this route.

Nicholas Walton
I don't' want you to think I didn't want to deal with you. I personally just didn't have an answer. I'm doing a lot of things here, so I fwd your message on, twice. I assumed (incorrectly) that someone else was giving you a response. Clearly they didn't. So we're discussing this and ways to prevent it in the future. It's been a reoccurring problem. Not sure if we'll do employee write ups or automated follow ups to see if you were responded to, etc.

I incorrectly told you 2 weeks. I had information leading me to believe this would be our lead time. It wasn't, we've been getting mucked up trying to keep up and with other things that I'll make a new post on.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Supporting Vendor

An issue in our engine program, or should I say issues, is R&D.
These motors are difficult. There are many variants and there is a reason people are coming to ZZP. Failures are rampant, other companies haven't invested the time to know how to and not to build a motor.

Normally ZZP is a year out on R&D, currently we've had to push releases up so far that we're literally deciding to sell mainstream product with concept type fixes. I can't get too in depth here, as i don't want to divulge all of what we do. More importantly tho, I don't want someone taking what I'm saying the wrong way and spreading rumors around.

There are a lot of issues we've been running into. We're trying to solve them all. We're out of time as I said before. People want solutions immediately. We don't know why certain failures are happening. We've had a block crack in 1/2. right through the middle. Car was onlymaking 450WHP. People spend 7k and get mad when that happens. However, we can't warranty every failure, especially when it's something like the GM block cracking. We didn't cast it. It doesn't appear to have been defective. There are a dozen other issues similar. You see it all the time in the forums. Guys with stock motors are failing. So we're tryign to solve each and every issue. Customers want truly bullet proof motors for their $. Problem is that we're taking 2.0 liters to 500+WHP. That would be like going to a corvette shop with your 2012 boosted 6.2 vette and saying you want a conservative build of 1600 HP to the wheels. They'd look at you like you were crazy. But that's what ZZP is doing every day with our customers on these motors.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:37 PM

I don't' want you to think I didn't want to deal with you. I personally just didn't have an answer. I'm doing a lot of things here, so I fwd your message on, twice. I assumed (incorrectly) that someone else was giving you a response. Clearly they didn't. So we're discussing this and ways to prevent it in the future. It's been a reoccurring problem. Not sure if we'll do employee write ups or automated follow ups to see if you were responded to, etc.

I incorrectly told you 2 weeks. I had information leading me to believe this would be our lead time. It wasn't, we've been getting mucked up trying to keep up and with other things that I'll make a new post on.
Well, I personally just gained a lot of respect for you. I can relate to your issues somewhat as I own my own company and that is who I paid you through using our company credit card. We are only a 2 person company but at times we'll have the work that 30 people should be doing and get extremely backed up. We use email as a way of contact as well and it is hard to keep up with our clients that we do business for, but we are dealing with other companies when we do business so we have to make sure our customer service is great, especially with the multibillion dollar companies we deal with. I am glad you seem to understand why I took these measures and have taken my point of view.

Thanks,

Nicholas Walton
Old 03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
very nice!

zzp is the ****
Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I've had nothing but 100% positive communication with ZZP. They responded to every e-mail within 1 business day or less and thoroughly answered my questions.

Quick Reply: Don't be surprised if you get a dirty message on your answering machine, ZZP...