Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Gen 4 Projector w/HID HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 4 Projector w/HID HELP!!!

I have had HID's in my current housings for a while now, and finally decided to buy a set of Depo headlights (gen4).

I had read on the forums that all I needed to do for the swap was swap bulbs (buy H7 HID bulbs).

Upon receiving the bulbs I noticed one thing, how on earth do the HID's know to turn on?

The old headlights had a plug that went from the car, to the headlight housing, and then the HID bulbs had a wire that went off into the HID ballast to let it know to turn on (or to the relay harness).

The new headlights have the plug that plugs into the car and goes to the projector lights, but it is an H7 plug, and this would no longer be used.

The new bulbs only have 2 plugs that both go to the ballast, but there is no longer any wires that will be going from the car to the bulb, just straight from the ballast to the bulb.

Before I spend time installing all of this, am I missing something? Because to me it seems like these lights wont know what to do.

Basically what I am asking is do i need to buy an H7 HID kit? What do I need to do? I have the H7 bulbs but like I said it just doesnt seem like it would work as it is now.

-guess1
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
so wait the new lights would be wired as

car to ballast to bulb right? because thats how it should be normally really. the car tells the balast to turn on the ballast provides power to the bulb then the bulb lights up
Old 01-13-2012, 03:38 AM

The way my current lights are set up (as far as I can remember) It goes relay harness -> Ballast for power.

The part that is confusing me is that I believe on my relay harness there is a plug that plugs into the blue connector on the stock headlights. The Gen4's do not have this.

The only plug from the car -> Headlights is the main connector (outside corner on each headlight). This plug then has wires that go to the H7 bulbs inside of the gen4 housing.

If i route HID's into the housing, then I am no longer using the only connection from the car to the headlight, and going straight from ballast to headlight, and I do not see a way that the headlights would receive the signal to turn on.

I ordered a H7 Relay harness, I am hoping this fixes my problems...

Please tell me if I am ass backwards about all of this, but I can not see a way that HID's turn on, because we are getting rid of the only link between them and the car itself.

-guess1
Old 01-13-2012, 03:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
ok i get what ur saying. but at the same time that makes no sense. like i get what u mean but it shouldn't be like that really. im nto a hid expert by any means but if that h7 relay harness doesnt fix that issue then just post up pics of everything u have and maybe i can get it figured out
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The H7 relay harness will fix it. However an easier solution would have been to cut off the blue connector on your current 9007 harness and attach some spade connectors to the wires so that you would be able to plug into the wires that normally power the halogen H7 bulb. That way you are essentially creating an H7 harness using a 9007 harness. I don't know why people told you that all you would need is new bulbs, because with a different bulb type you render your current setup useless unless you modify it, since you have no way to connect a 9007 relay harness to the ballast if you're using H7 bulbs now.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by NCC-2000
The H7 relay harness will fix it. However an easier solution would have been to cut off the blue connector on your current 9007 harness and attach some spade connectors to the wires so that you would be able to plug into the wires that normally power the halogen H7 bulb. That way you are essentially creating an H7 harness using a 9007 harness. I don't know why people told you that all you would need is new bulbs, because with a different bulb type you render your current setup useless unless you modify it, since you have no way to connect a 9007 relay harness to the ballast if you're using H7 bulbs now.
I dont know why either...its baffling to me really. Regardless, no harm done, No wasted $$ as I would have had to order it either way (or modified my old one i guess).

Amazon had a pretty good deal on relay's for H7's. Something like $9 or so.

I do wish however that I knew all this when I ordered the headlights so that I could have ordered them all at the same time.

Thanks NCC-2000 and EmperorJJ1...I knew i wasn't crazy! I literally had both headlights out thinking i was crazy and that this was simpler than I was making it seem...but I couldnt justify installing the new ones when in my mind I couldn't figure out a way for them to get a signal to turn on.

-guess1 (Ill update post-relay harness)