Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

EVAP to Boost Controler conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
EVAP to Boost Controler conversion

I had an idea today so let me provide you with some food for thought. in another one of my threads about the EVAP system I learned that the evap purge solonoid is a duty cycled vacuum switching valve why is this important well lets look at how the engine computer determons when the EVAP is on. the engine computer considers speed, vacume, rpm, and coolant temp to determine when to activate the EVAP. now Im sure most of you are thinking by now Who the hell cares about that, well what if I told you the Boost control solonoid on the LNF's K04 is a duty cycled vacuum switching valve so if my thinking is on the right track if the engine computer is able to so precisly control the EVAP why would it not be able to so precisly control a boost control solonoid in its place? now I cant just remove the EVAP solonoid from the emissions system but I can replace it with a Thermo Vacuum Valve and vent it to the atmosphere that way while the car is just siting the EVAP system is not open to the atmosphere but when the engine reaches 120* the system can vent this would free up the controled duty cycled chanel on the engine computer to be used as a boost control signal for a boost control solonoid and since the engine computer can use speed, rpm and vacuum (or in this case boost) as deciding factors who is to say you could not have a fully computer controled boost system for the 2.2 and even 2.4 systems this would of course require a 2+ bar map sensor to work but it would allow you to have the waste gate open at a low boost at a low speed for launching but also allow for higher boost at higher speeds
so this is just a thought and more research would have to be put into this to make it hapen along with a lot of trial and error with tuning the evap control to control the boost controler but I just thought I would through this out there if anyone has holes to shoot into my theory please do

Last edited by Axelthered05; 03-29-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM

any thoughts on this?
Old 04-04-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the evap purge solenoid is controlled by the computer so that part is correct. using it to control a boost control solenoid will never work. the computer monitors the pressure in the fuel tank. when the pressure in the tank gets to a specific pressure( just above atmospheric pressure) the computer cycles the purge solenoid allowing vacuum to enter the fuel tank. this action will suck the fuel vapors out of the tank and into the engine to be burned. this will drop the pressure in the tank. the computer sees the fuel tank pressure drop as it cycles the purge valve. when the vacuum in the tank is at the computers spec then the computer will shut off the purge valve. i dont know how you would put a boost control solenoid in its place and expect to get boost control. you would need to be one hell of a computer programmer and a software tuner to do that.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM

That is what Vince is for the point is that the electrical capabilities are there, so the question would be could Vince alter the engine program to operate under different conditions I already conected the boost control solonoid to the EVAP control signal and confirmed the that the boost control valve opens when the engine comands the EVAP to open, you can even see the precentage (duty cycle) of the solonoid if you have the right OBDII software. this proves that the boost control solonoid has the same operating voltage and the same electrical resistance as the EVAP solonoid or at least not enough variance for the engine to care (through a code)
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Last edited by Axelthered05; 04-04-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:58 PM

so the first picture shows that the long term fuel trim still works with the boost control solonoid (normaly locks when evap is unpluged) and the second photo shows the boost control solonoid is opening with the EVAP System Vapor Pressure. I just need to figure out how to get it to open with the intake manifold MAP sensor signal