General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Letting The Car Sit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Letting The Car Sit?

Well im leaving for maryland to go to collage and i plan on driving my car down and driving it back on the first break before winter. I will leave it garaged after i drive back on teh first break and garage it for the winter with a cover. My question is what is the best way to garage it and keep it ready for when spring comes along? sould i have a full take of gas or completely empty? change oil? Since both me and my girlfriend are going to the same school we will drive her cavy in the winter and leave my baby garaged. ESP. now that i finally own my first pair of rims!. Thanks guys
Old 06-12-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's going to be sitting a very long time, it would be wise to disconnect the battery and get it low as possible on gas. Also wouldn't hurt to do an oil change as soon as you start driving it again.

If it's an auto, have the fluid checked and changed if needed afterwards as well...stick should be fine. Sounds excessive, I know, but better safe than sorry!

If at all possible, take it for a spin every week or so, then it won't matter at all.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Banned

Cant take it out for a spin Ill be in maryland and it will be in NH. + im the only ne in my family that can drive a stick.. lol. So from december till april it will sit. any other tips?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 PM

Main thing is to disconnect battery. If you don't, it will likely be dead when you try to start it up.

Also, my bad on the gas part...read this, this guy runs a shop in my area and really knows his ****.

http://www.salemboysauto.com/salem-f...Action=Q&ID=52
Old 06-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

thanks!
Old 06-12-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure if you disconnect your battery, DONT CLOSE THE TRUNK ALL THE WAY!
You will be jump starting it otherwise
I know this because my battery cable has fallen off the battery terminal and i wasnt able to get the the battery to re-attach it
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
Well im leaving for maryland to go to collage and i plan on driving my car down and driving it back on the first break before winter. I will leave it garaged after i drive back on teh first break and garage it for the winter with a cover. My question is what is the best way to garage it and keep it ready for when spring comes along? sould i have a full take of gas or completely empty? change oil? Since both me and my girlfriend are going to the same school we will drive her cavy in the winter and leave my baby garaged. ESP. now that i finally own my first pair of rims!. Thanks guys
On top of disconnecting the battery

#1 You'll need to buy a can(s) of fuel stabilizer, otherwise the fuel will destabilize and need to be pumped out. --- Also rust may become an issue if you leave the tank sitting empty for too long. I recommend just using the stabilizer and filling up the tank, this will also help to keep fuel (and not air) in the lines so they don't dry rot and crack..

#2 you might want to condition all your rubber seals/gaskets so they don't dry rot. Take the car for a good hour long drive before storing it. You can use Silicone grease bought at the GM service dept to do all of your weatherstripping.

#3 Change your fluids before and after storing. (I guess just OIL and filter before is fine if you're not ****.)

and if you visit someplace like stangnet or another forum in their classic car sections you can get a lot more good advice from people who store their classics during the winter time every year.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
I know this because my battery cable has fallen off the battery terminal and i wasnt able to get the the battery to re-attach it

Why didn't you just use your key to open the trunk?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by jokieman
Why didn't you just use your key to open the trunk?
I was wondering that myself!

I parked mine last winter, put it on jacks with a fresh oil change, full tank, pulled the wheels off, and put that mouse paper down around each jack. I did pull it out of the garage once a month. (I couldnt help it)
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmaasta
I was wondering that myself!

I parked mine last winter, put it on jacks with a fresh oil change, full tank, pulled the wheels off, and put that mouse paper down around each jack. I did pull it out of the garage once a month. (I couldnt help it)
Oh yeah that's another good one. Remove the tires so they don't get flat spots.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

Ok i have 4 jack stands... i was wondering where is a safe place to put them so there fine for 4 months. i really have no idea. if someone could take a picture of where there mounted on the front and back so i know. thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Premium Member

I've been storing cars for years, here's my suggestions.

1. If you have over 500 miles on the oil I'd change it.

2. Fill tank with fresh gas, it's your choice if you want to use a fuel stabilizer.

3. I don't use jack stands, instead I inflate the tires to 45psi..... don't forget to deflate them to the correct psi once you start driving it again.

4. Wash car, make sure car is completely dry before covering it.

5. I run a floor fan 24/7 365 days a year in front of the cars.

6. Finally, get one of these http://batterytender.com/product_inf...ded132f3b4d408 , hook it up and forget about the car until it's time to drive it again.

Oh, one more thing, if there's any chance of mice use mice posion in the garage..... mice bait bars work the best in my opinon.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
you dont need ur battery for jump starting ...read the manual
Old 06-13-2006, 04:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just because they can't drive a stick, it's not hard to open the door, push in the clutch. start the car... let it warm up with the AC on for about 25 minutes and then kill it. (i'd leave the heater knob about halfway so that water flows through the core)
Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
If it's going to be sitting a very long time, it would be wise to disconnect the battery and get it low as possible on gas. Also wouldn't hurt to do an oil change as soon as you start driving it again.

If it's an auto, have the fluid checked and changed if needed afterwards as well...stick should be fine. Sounds excessive, I know, but better safe than sorry!

If at all possible, take it for a spin every week or so, then it won't matter at all.

As low on gas as possible?? Ummm...NO.
A low fuel tank lets condensation form and contaminate the fuel, a FULL tank leaves no open space for condensation.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by BrockLanders
As low on gas as possible?? Ummm...NO.
A low fuel tank lets condensation form and contaminate the fuel, a FULL tank leaves no open space for condensation.
Read more - I already admitted my error and corrected myself.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

my family knows NOT to mess with my car lol. They know the blood sweat and $$ into it and know i will destory them. So no worrys there. I would like to put it on jackl stands just not to sure were to put them in a safe place.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:25 PM

My old neighbor had had a 70-something Grand Torino. He always replaced the oil with some special stuff (or maybe added something to the oil?) and started the engine once a week. It was made to protect the engine internals while it sat during the winter.

I forgot to ask him what that stuff was. Anyone know what it is?
Old 06-14-2006, 11:14 AM

agreed...all except for disconnect the battery...disconecting the battery can cause the comp. to loose alot of the operating codes for driving...if anything it would be wise to remove the battery and the ecm/pcm
Old 06-14-2006, 11:15 AM

Read more - I already admitted my error and corrected myself.
the gas is gonna go bad either way...itl just take longer on a full tank..and if its gona sit as long as he says...then what you said doesnt matter...gas is only good for a 3-4 months
Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Premium Member

I would like to put it on jackl stands just not to sure were to put them in a safe place.
As I said in my first reply, there's no need to put the car on jack stands...just inflate the tires to 45psi.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

ok but gas what should i do about that? it will sit from dec till april. and when i come home for breaks ill start her up and such but any other tips? thanks guys
Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

ok but gas what should i do about that? it will sit from dec till april. and when i come home for breaks ill start her up and such but any other tips? thanks guys

Fill your tank up with fresh gas just before you store your car, you can put the correct amount of fuel stabilizer in your tank if you like....will it make a big difference if you don't..I doubt it. As far as other tips, I think it's been covered what's best to do.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:25 PM

If you dont want it to sit around let someone use it like you parents, or a good freind so you can kill them if they F|_|K it up

Last edited by Killjoy32; 06-15-2006 at 10:49 AM.