General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Warranty Denied...all read

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inhale
im just curious of how many cobalt ss/sc's are out there and are broken and have been denied warranty work. id like to know why, what u did, and what GM said. my transmission is stuck in 2nd gear and my transaxle broke and they denied me warranty work because of 'driver abuse'. now they didnt say what caused the problem, nor did they look into it. they just said 'driver abuse' and now im screwed. i sent letter to Better Business Bureau and also a local news channel to see if they would investigate it for me. please post with ur experiences. my car broke on 9/18/06, they didnt touch my car till 9/22/06. they call me on 9/23/06 saying it wont be covered. ive been without my car for a little over a week and they didnt even give me a loaner car.
i thought you knew that my car wasnt under warrenty either when i blew the tranny up

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/tranny-blew-up-9571/
Old 09-28-2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by XSNRG
Having worked at different dealerships it all depends on the situation. if your car was stuck in second gear is it possible that it was originally a clutch problem and the dealership based their decision on a) number of miles on the car (most dealerships only will warranty the clutch for 1 yr/12k miles) or the condition of the clutch (yes many times it is obvious if you abuse the clutch racing) ? it could be the dealer is afraid that if a gm adjuster comes out or they send the damaged part back to gm as required gm will kick back the whole warranty claim. therefore the dealership, service manager, service writer and tech will all lose money out of their own pocket and from personal experience i wouldn't want to pay for your abuse to your own car. when i worked at a dealership i got people who abused their vehicles all the time and wanted us to repair or replace parts for free (ie people would not rotate their tires or align their tires for 20k miles and then wonder why they were wearing so quickly and want us to replace them).
Having said that equally at dealerships i saw many tech's, service writers and managers deny warranty on baseless reasons just out of lazyness or greed. unfortunately mostly it was the tech's, tech's would see a mod or aftermarket radio and try to get the claim denied so they could make more money. for example a chk engine light update pays the tech .2 of an hour under warranty but the tech would want the customer to pay 1-1.5 hours just to do a reflash that took them 10 minutes. I even had one tech that everytime a car would not start under warranty would say it was bad fuel and if it was not warranty would tell me it needed a fuel pump, starter, battery and then their might be additional problems. the tech was best friends with the manager so needless to say i lost lots of good jobs when people pulled their cars and then got yelled at when they took it to another shop and it only needed a battery. also sometimes service managers have too high warranty costs and are trying to cut their warranty costs and upsell their customer pay so they make their bonus and do not raise the eye of their gm rep.
what you should do is first call gm. realize gm is a huge company and does not want to deal with bad press and the liability if the car is indeed damaged and they deny that claim. at last resort you can consult a lawyer but realize that the lawyer most likely will cost quite a bit of money and afetr reviewing the facts might not take your case. (remember a lawyer unless working on your case for free, wants to make money and a simple trans claim on a car is not a high paying case for the time he will need to spend)

Nice post! Its good to hear some insider info...its too bad that some techs act like that...good to hear that you are keeping it real!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:06 AM

You drag raced it at the track, I have no sympathy for you what-so-ever. I agree with others when they say you are committing fraud. Its because of people like you that give us HONEST people who have a problem with our cars when we bring them in for service at the dealership.

yes, i have drag raced it at the track. you tell me u never raced your car. u dont have to be a dick ya know. the transmission shouldn't break as it did. i wasnt driving it very hard, just normal shifting as i went. im not committing fraud because i believe the tranny did not hold up as it was supposed to. these cars are supposed to be built up to a sports cars' expectations. so 300hp is too much for a sports cars' tranmission to hold up to? if so, GM should have never released this car. i hope you have the same problem i have or worse so i can laugh at you, u moron. and you say your HONEST....tell us all that you have never lied, may GOD strike you with 1000 lightning bolts if your not HONEST. GM is a billion dollar corporation, they should stand by their products. i never intended this to turn into a flame match and its idiotic comments left by people like you that makes me hate the car even more. this is supposed to be a place where other drivers with the same car can get help and advice but people like you turn it into a macho match. if you dont have anything useful to say......

SHUT UP!

who was this Directed to ?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Incognito
who was this Directed to ?
Me....
Old 09-28-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
hey trix I knew your car wasn't covered I was referring to a different one... yet again another member screwed by gm... but yeah darksun has broken everything but the engine on his car and he was always covered by warranty... sux for the rest of you guys
Old 09-28-2006, 07:42 AM

2006 Red Cobalt SS/SC
Red Inserts, Sun Roof, XM Radio, 7 Speaker with Sub

Current Mods: Airbox Modification, Custom Ramair, Red Painted Calipers, Polyurethane Engine Mount, 3" Catless XTC Downpipe, 1 step colder plugs, BROKEN TRANSMISSION

Future Plans:
NEW TRANSMISSION AND AXLE

4.9.06 - 2.290 60', 14.42 @ 99.95 1/4, Englishtown, NJ (only mod was airbox mod)

9.17.06 - 2.38 60', 13.82 @ 102.96
1/4, Atco raceway, NJ (2.6 pulley, tune, tranny mounts, broken transmission)
I Felt bad for you until I looked at your SIG.

You modify the car, Track it and then Bitch like a sissy when the dealer does not honor your contract. Did you ever think that perhaps they come here too and read the forums.

If I worked there, Id print off a copy of this sig and staple it to the work order denial.

My 2 Cents...
Old 09-28-2006, 07:43 AM

im sayin ok lets say ur car breaks down with a GM STage II kit, and also another owner's car breaks down without GM STage II but has really the same work done. the one without GM Stage II removes all his aftermarket parts before giving it in to GM. Both guys bring there car into the same dealer. from what going on here, at least by us it seems like every car they are saying no too, its driver abuse. so it seems like they really dont care.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:53 AM

well as far as I know if it wasn't a clutch failure due to slave cylinder.... they really won't fix anything drivetrain related... ask trix... his car was bone stock and his diff blew out the side of his tranny at 3000 miles... he had to pay 6 grand to get his car back.... so obviously there's something wrong here (and don't say clutch drops and burnouts, his car is an 05 and still has the original tires on it in good condition) and they did the same thing to him claimed abuse and refused to warranty it... and he never took the car to the track...
Old 09-28-2006, 10:33 AM

allright for all the negative people out there, my car has never really been beat on. my clutch never slipped, never had a problem with the car at all. so now my car sits with a downpipe, aftermarket shift knob, and a filter. what pisses me off is that the GM Rep will not contact me, GM Customer service says the paperwork has it listed as "Driver abuse" with no other info, the dealership has it listed as "Driver abuse" with no reasons stating why. They didnt look into the car, they just looked AT it and claimed abuse. how can they tell me its abuse when they didnt even look at it? does a downpipe, different shift knob and a filter void my warranty? how can gm void a warranty on a rated 205hp car when all these cars dyno WELL OVER 205hp to the wheels? so right outta the box, soon as u drive it off the lot you warranty is voided....? thats complete bullsh*t. i dont care if GM reads this, my sig doesnt have any info about me, doesnt have my name, address, license plate number, vin #....anything. im just another avg. joe on here. i dont care if i was granny driving or racing, this car is qualified to GM as a 'sports car'. they sell it as a 'sports car'. once the car breaks, they claim its a 'coupe'? im completely disgusted in GM, in GM's customer service. the only people willing to help but cant is the actual dealership. i will never buy a chevy, or a GM car, ever again. if i wanted to pay for repairs on a sports car, i wouldve bout a used camaro, used vette, used anything that didnt have a warranty. all these cobalts having problems, shouldnt that send a message to GM saying... "hey, our cars that we made suck. lets fix the problem and make the customers happy". no, instead they take our money and run. im taking this to the full mile. ill leave the car infront of the dealership with a HUGE sign on it saying "BEWARE: GM doesnt NOT cover warranty issues". how can they tell me it was abuse and deny me warranty work when they NEVER looked into the car. they put it on a lift and say "hell, lets just say its abuse and see if he doesnt fight it. if he doesnt, more money in our pockets. if he does fight it, maybe we should fix it". i cant get any answers from GM regarding my car and that is complete BS. onward to the next step, calling local news, placing complaint with BBB, contacting family friend lawyer and i will, repeat i will, take it to court if it goes that far. id rather pay a lawyer 8k then pay GM 4k just to make a point. if any GM members are reading this, i have a little message for you....

The cars u produce are garbage, your service sucks. Maybe you guys shouldve went bankrupt because you are heading that way in the future. ive never been so ashamed of owning a GM product until now and you too yourselves should be ashamed. Imagine you went on a tropical vacation and when you arrived all the power went out for the duration of your trip. you'd like to be reimburshed, wouldnt you? well thats how i feel about this P.O.S. car i own. shame on you GM, shame.

PS: i thought our motors were good for 400hp, i thought are trannys were good for 600hp? what happened to that? they are breaking with 300hp to the wheels? GM stage 2 brings 270hp to the wheels...so WTF?
How can you keep saying the car has never been beat on. Taking it to the track is beating on the car and also reason to deny a warrenty claim. I think you have the wrong idea about what a warrenty is suppose to cover. They cover MANUFACTURES DEFECTS, you blowing your transmission at the drag strip is not a manuf defect it's abuse, plain and simple.

Oh and when you go to the local news, place your complaint with the BBB, and contact your lawyer make sure you tell them the whole story about how you moded the car, broke it at the track, put it back to stock, and then tried to defraud GM into fixing your car. But my guess is you are going to leave all that out so you don't look like an idiot.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
hey trix I knew your car wasn't covered I was referring to a different one... yet again another member screwed by gm... but yeah darksun has broken everything but the engine on his car and he was always covered by warranty... sux for the rest of you guys
way to put me out there paul....hahahahhah dont matter anyway. yes folks my cars got 18 grand in warrenty work in it all coverd by GM. love my dealership. doesn't matter though im going today to flip into another cobalt. Or exstend my current warrenty.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM

I was waiting for you to chime in man..... let me know if you're coming by c/a tonight... I'll be there early (if my axles come in) but I'll be swapping all my **** back in... but they are only open til 7 tonight... but I can always finish your car up in the parking lot...
p.s. bring my jackstands
Old 09-28-2006, 11:12 AM

I gotta say though INHALE it sucks there not covering you cause i know that your mods didnt break your axles the track and TQ did. Hey you roll with the punches. Thats why i buy my service department guys lunch when i go In there. 80 dollars in lunch for the the crew or 10 grand outta my pocket in broken **** all in one shot..........I'll pay for the damn hero
Old 09-28-2006, 11:16 AM

Oh yeah trix got assed fucked on that one but that in the past. I never had to spaz at my dealer to get **** done but thing is if youm didnt buy the car from them the got absolutly ZERO ******* love for you that gave texas phil the boot when he tried to come through complaining about something.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 4drssmikekc
You guys that are saying he abused his car and he modded it and thats why it broke and thats why GM wont cover it you are missing the point that GM has a resposiablity here and they are not living up to it. Laws were created to prevent these exact issues. Thats what SEMA is all about most people this SEMA is just a large vendor show every year. The dealership is one that is manipulating GM and causing you guys to get screwed on your warranty.

WRONG! Your missing the point. GM has no responsibility to fix a moddified car if the mods potentially caused the damage. Period! In this case the guy raced his car, modified! and it broke. Why should GM fix that.

I also think you guys that are saying people like myself and others who understand the situation are "douchbags". No were not, we are adults and understand how the world operates. If you guys want your warranty honored, DON'T MOD!

My car is stock, it's fun to drive and I am going to keep it that way until my warranty is up or I feel like I am ready to assume to risk that if I mod I may have major issues. Everyone here who is modded and crying about their warranty not being honored need to grow up! In the big boy world you can't get by with everything.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:21 AM

heres some food for thought- if you have a bone stock ss/sc or any other car that is entry level but packeged much like the ss/sc and you leave it stock shoulded the parts last more than 30k miles no matter how you drive?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:22 AM

ok here is the thing. the cost of the car should not reflect the quality of service you receive. So stop saying hey it was only 20k. ONLY 20K THAT IS A **** LOAD OF MONEY ! Also I dont remember the sign at my dealer that said " for good treatment you must purchase a vehicle at least 25k or above" Maybe that is in the fine print. It doesnt matter if you buy a chevy aveo if the thing is falling apart you should be treated with the same respect as the guy in his Tahoe or Trailblazer SS. The other thing that cracks me up is the well have you been driving it hard ? This question I get everytime I go in the dealership. So I answer with this. GM put SS badges and a SC what the **** do you think ? Well thats my rant.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 4drssmikekc
heres some food for thought- if you have a bone stock ss/sc or any other car that is entry level but packeged much like the ss/sc and you leave it stock shoulded the parts last more than 30k miles no matter how you drive?
That is an excelent question and i say yes they should. as long as your not off roading it. You don't buy a car like lets say an sti than get denied warrenty coverage when the stock car comes in for a snaped axle and the cars never been to the track. I mean every situatins is differnt but i honestly think that there are a lot of currupt dealershoips out there that want to deny coverage and void warrentiess as much as possible to get out of spending cash. WHICH makes absolutly no sense since GM reimbursses them for it after wards
Old 09-28-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
ok here is the thing. the cost of the car should not reflect the quality of service you receive. So stop saying hey it was only 20k. ONLY 20K THAT IS A **** LOAD OF MONEY ! Also I dont remember the sign at my dealer that said " for good treatment you must purchase a vehicle at least 25k or above" Maybe that is in the fine print. It doesnt matter if you buy a chevy aveo if the thing is falling apart you should be treated with the same respect as the guy in his Tahoe or Trailblazer SS. The other thing that cracks me up is the well have you been driving it hard ? This question I get everytime I go in the dealership. So I answer with this. GM put SS badges and a SC what the **** do you think ? Well thats my rant.

The price shouldn't matter, if it does at your dealer then you need to find a new dealership. One that respects the common man. I don't know about where everyone else is from but 20k is probably average or slightly above average for the price of a car around here. With that said I think my dealership treats everyone the same whether they are driving the 13k$ cobalt or the 40$ Caddy. It all depends on the dealership really. The price should not matter when it comes to warranty work.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 1stbluSS
tru tu. But I don't think many people know this but a dealer only has to warrenty a car up to the cost paid for said car. That really doesnt affect 99% of the members on here but ones like me where 21,999 was paid for the car and it has 18,568 in warrenty work at the car is one year and 3 months old that could be a problem.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well my opinion...GM should have never put a supercharger in this car ..they should be expecting this to happen and im sure they tested the car before release...u mean to tell me there were no problems at all from all the test driving GM Must have done before releasing to the public? something had to have gone wrong at some point... and i believe that they probably didnt really care because gm knows that in the event something like this happens..they could just black list a warrently and charge the customer for the repair because its within their guidelines. granted modifications will effect the car....but ive seen a lot of instances where these cars stock just cant take any abuse.

people will beat on the car especially the young people who bought the car for the reason that it came supercharged....why buy a supercharged car if your going to drive 30 mph all the time

...people will "drive" the **** out of it....the bottom line...its pretty poorly constructed when cars with 3k miles are blowing up...regardless of how hard you drive the car...one or 2 times down the track..or in pauls case not at all should not kill a car.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:37 AM

Just a quick sociology experiment....

Whose posts do you find more valid, those with proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling...

or those with cursing, blatant misspellings, and name calling?

You raced it, you broke it, grow up and GET OVER IT!!
Old 09-28-2006, 11:43 AM

I dunno... but gm obviously knows the stock axles and clutch are weak.... I probably stated this before but for their cars that they race what do they do?
replace axles with grand am ones... use and exedy race clutch... oh yeah and replace the rivetted in ball joints in the control arms too....
so it shows they know whats not up to par on these cars
Old 09-28-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by badg1rl
well my opinion...GM should have never put a supercharger in this car ..they should be expecting this to happen and im sure they tested the car before release...u mean to tell me there were no problems at all from all the test driving GM Must have done before releasing to the public? something had to have gone wrong at some point... and i believe that they probably didnt really care because gm knows that in the event something like this happens..they could just black list a warrently and charge the customer for the repair because its within their guidelines. granted modifications will effect the car....but ive seen a lot of instances where these cars stock just cant take any abuse.

people will beat on the car especially the young people who bought the car for the reason that it came supercharged....why buy a supercharged car if your going to drive 30 mph all the time

...people will "drive" this **** out of it....the bottom line...its pretty poorly constructed when cars with 3k miles are blowing up...regardless of how hard you drive the car...one or 2 times down the track..or in pauls case not at all should not kill a car.
I agree With you but if any one was a prime example of how this car holds up it would be me 31 thousand miles in 8 months All of which i asure you the car was beat on and the car held up untill it touched the track. THIS CAR IS NOT ATRACK CAR!!!!! stop taking them there. There getting assainated out there. I put shitty tires on my car on purpose with 16 inch rims just so i could spin the intial 1st and begining of second gear. probably only thing that kept my car alive for as long as it did. Once i caught that instant traction at the track though motor mounts riped away from the actuall frame of the car and tranny cases broke.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:58 AM

Well after my car makes its triumphant exit from cobalt-addiction.... these parts shouldn't break again on my car... (hopefully).... damnit where are my axles
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by 06blackg85ss
I dunno... but gm obviously knows the stock axles and clutch are weak.... I probably stated this before but for their cars that they race what do they do?
replace axles with grand am ones... use and exedy race clutch... oh yeah and replace the rivetted in ball joints in the control arms too....
so it shows they know whats not up to par on these cars
Man your the last one to say the stock clutch is weak. if anything you should have zero complaints. and you know its the master cly that sucks not the actual clutch.

Quick Reply: Warranty Denied...all read