How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

All Engines: Oil Change How-To with picture!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CruzinYellow
Anyone else tried AMSOIL 0W-30 100% synthetic (Signature Series)? I decided to give it a try. It's supposed to last 17,500 miles or one year. If nobody chimes in that has used this oil before I'll let you know how it turns out. Been using Mobil 1 oil and filters since I got the car but got the feeling this might in fact be better.

Changed my oil earlier this week. Let the oil drain out after running the engine to regular operating temps. Poured in AMSOIL and the car rev'd up to around 2500 RPM's at first after start up. Seemed like the PCM had to relearn since it took a few mins to finally idle down to where it usually idles at.
I've been using in my s2k, longest I've let it run is around 7000 miles.... but only because i used an oem filter and felt it needed changed. If I had used an amsoil filter, I'd probably have let it go to at least 10,000. It's highly recommended for my car due to higher revving causing oil consumption= I noticed a huge improvement vs. mobil1... and so I imagine it'd be the same for Cobalts.

And since you have the cartridge filter on the top of the engine, you guys can change the filter without losing oil, so you can get an extended life interval out of your oil.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arkkornkid
I've been using in my s2k, longest I've let it run is around 7000 miles.... but only because i used an oem filter and felt it needed changed. If I had used an amsoil filter, I'd probably have let it go to at least 10,000. It's highly recommended for my car due to higher revving causing oil consumption= I noticed a huge improvement vs. mobil1... and so I imagine it'd be the same for Cobalts.

And since you have the cartridge filter on the top of the engine, you guys can change the filter without losing oil, so you can get an extended life interval out of your oil.
Well the 0W-30 Signature Series oil is made specifically for turbo and supercharged engines. It costs a little more than their other synthetic oils but it still says it will last 17,500 miles or one year. I'm going to change the filter about every 3-4 thousand miles to try and extend the life of the oil as much as possible. Going to continue to test it and see if it actually lasts that long. I can already notice how much smoother the engine runs. Unfortunately since my filter is a drop in filter that's not encased in the usual canister, AMSOIL doesn't have a filter that they specifically make for it. I'm using a WIX filter at the moment. When I was running Extended Performance Mobil 1 Synthetic oil (15,000 mile change interval oil) along with a Mobil 1 filter I would notice a huge difference in the performance of my engine at around 5-6 thousand miles. And when I changed the oil it performed well again. I'm hoping that I have better results with AMSOIL then I did with Mobil 1. We'll see...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM

I'm sure you will, and get your order in this week, the cost is going up on all their oils on March 1
Old 02-23-2011, 10:45 PM

I'm sure you will, and get your order in this week, the cost is going up on all their oils on March 1
Yeah I noticed that, prices are going up on just about everything it looks like, even posters and sales aides. It seems that either you possibly like and use AMSOIL products or your a Preferred Customer, maybe even an authorized dealer. Most people have no idea about AMSOIL much less the future price change. I could be wrong. Just a guess. Actually I just became an authorized dealer recently. No problems here, I already got all the supplies I need for now. The price changes aren't really that extreme but oh well, if their oil does much better and lasts longer, then I don't mind paying a little more for it as opposed to using other oils that I've tried in the past.

(March 1st Price change) Good info for others to know who are thinking about trying AMSOIL though. I just don't think the price changes are going to go up enough to really make a difference in someones decision when it comes to taking care of their vehicles.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 PM

Yeah, I just renewed my Preferred Customer membership..... been using their stuff in my car and bike and have been impressed, so I'll place a good sized order and it'll last me a loooong time.... and will save more money than the $20 it cost to be a PC.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:35 PM

Yeah, I just renewed my Preferred Customer membership..... been using their stuff in my car and bike and have been impressed, so I'll place a good sized order and it'll last me a loooong time.... and will save more money than the $20 it cost to be a PC.
Cool glad to hear your happy with their products. I've heard nothing but good about this company and it's products. Being that I work on all types of vehicles of really like to do upgrades on everything I figured I might as well sell products that I believe in at least to make some money on the side. Me and friend just started a business and part of it entailed becoming an authorized dealer for AMSOIL. We have lots of new innovative ideas and plans but some things that we are in the process of testing for future sale we are keeping them quiet until everything is tested and proven. We have a basic AMSOIL website to use but I want to get a standalone site that's linked to AMSOIL's site as well but that we can sell our products on as well. We're converting everyone in our families and a good bit of our friends to AMSOIL and have had nothing but good results so far. We have and older Dodge 3/4 ton 4WD that not only did we change the oil but we drained and switched transmission fluid as well as the fluid in the front and rear diffs. That truck has a turbo that pushes almost 70 lbs of boost and since we have changed everything it runs smoother and even shifts better at colder operating temperatures whereas before it would be harder to shift gears.

Anyways long story short, if we are going to be selling this stuff we might as well use it and believe in it right? Results so far have been GREAT so we're going to continue to grow our business and sell the products. If CSS.net responds soon to my message I sent for information, we may advertise and possibly become a supporting vendor on here in the near future as well as other popular car forums. May target the Corvette and some of the motorcycle forums next since we have some of those around here as well and use those other product lines from the company. Just something to do that may bring in extra money in our spare time.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:57 AM

Cool deal. Sounds like you've got a decent business plan and I wish you luck with it. If I had the least bit of motivation I'd become a seller as well, but it's just not in the cards right now.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Cool deal. Sounds like you've got a decent business plan and I wish you luck with it. If I had the least bit of motivation I'd become a seller as well, but it's just not in the cards right now.
Well we work on all types of vehicles. If you ever have any questions or need help finding something let me know.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:34 AM

If your like me and lazy... I bring my own supply of oil and walmart charges 15 bucks to change. And they lube me up too. Yay me
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 AM

Should have taken pictures last night but my good camera was dead . I changed oil on my 08 SS/TC last night and it didn't even take 20 minutes tops (I took longer letting all the oil drip out good), and virtually no mess (love the filter element in the top of the motor good design). I had to purchase a 3/8 to 1/2 socket adapter and also a 1 1/4 inch socket (lowes didn't carry the 32mm), bought the adapter so I could use my torque wrench on the filter housing.

3/8 to 1/2 socket adapter - $3.58 (lowes)
1 1/4 inch socket - $3.58 (lowes)
5QT Mobile 1 5W-30 Full Synth - $24.58 (wal-mart)
AC Delco P457G - $8.87 (wal-mart)
-------------------------------------------------------
Total Cost - $40.61 - With Tax - $44.57

Changing it was simple as pie, SS/TC model is exactly the same as here just maneuvering in there is a little different with some of the wiring harness and hoses. Make sure to put some oil on the filter housing lip when putting it back in to keep it lubed (don't want it to get dry and crack under the motor heat). Also both the filter housing and the oil drain plug are 18 lb ft torque spec (216 inch pounds) which I did with my wrench. As others have stated the SS/TC does take exactly 5QT as the manual states, after taking it off the jack stands and letting it run for 5 minutes I checked the oil later and it was a notch over the center so perfectly fine (within the ranges).

Going forward my oil changes will cost me $36.71 grabbing a AC Delco filter and good quality Mobile 1 oil, can't beat that. Can't beat knowing I'm doing it myself and I'm doing it right.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
ill pm you to send the money
Old 06-01-2011, 01:50 AM

i did mine today, over all cost was like 32 bucks and i own non of the tools to do it with
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM

can some one tell me how to reset the oil clock lol.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:00 AM

scroll thru your screen thing, with your steering wheel controls, on your speedo till you see oil life

hold the <-- till it resets
Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM

ok cool thanks. i acctually hit that once and knew my oil life was at 61% so i just waited till it got to 80 b4 i change it which ill be today
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM
USA Y U NO HAVE AUTOBAHN?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure you put the fuel filter cap correctly on the threads
I threaded it in sideways and started thecar.. leaked about half a quart
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

wow that oil filter was kindof a ***** but otherwise a smooth operation, no mess! royal purple ftw, thanks for the write up

i got (what looked like) the same oil filter in the OP, and it didn't seem to sit in the cap like the old filter. anyone else have this issue, or is it even an issue?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BIG SS TC
can some one tell me how to reset the oil clock lol.
with the car off, turn the key to acc, hit the gas to the floor 5 times in less than 5 seconds, quickly turn it off. wait about 10 seconds, then turn the car on. problem solved
Old 04-13-2012, 04:08 PM

1. where do i get the mobil oil cap?
2. i got the K&N filter that is suppost to last 10,000 to 15,000 miles
3. is mobil one syn better than amsoil?
4. the correct socket is 1 1/4" and the bolt is 15mm
thanks for your input
Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 PM

Still looking for Mobil 1 cap anybody know where to pick one up????????
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 PM

How did you find Mobile 1 for that cheap? Amazon doesn't even sell it that cheap.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 PM
AWD > FWD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vahdyx
How did you find Mobile 1 for that cheap? Amazon doesn't even sell it that cheap.
this is from 2006, the price of oil has gone up quite a bit.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:03 AM

It's only gone up $2 for that 5 qt jug.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by xdjstylz330x
If your like me and lazy... I bring my own supply of oil and walmart charges 15 bucks to change. And they lube me up too. Yay me
unless you have the moog endlinks there are no greasable parts on the cobalt.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:54 PM

Thank you

Quick Reply: All Engines: Oil Change How-To with picture!