How to Guide For step by step “How to” instructions ONLY!

2.2 LAP Engine: Washer Fluid Tank Relocation

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 PM

Received 135 Likes on 135 Posts
Washer Fluid Tank Relocation

Will be doing a washer fluid relocation very soon for a cold air intake install on a supercharged base model. Haven’t seen a how to on this, so why no post what I can during the install.
What you’ll need is tools, lots of zip ties and
-an lsj washer fluid resivor
-maf extension 3 feet 14 gauge
-washer pump wire extension 9 feet 16 gauge
-washer tank hose extension
-pcv hose 1/2inch x 5 feet

you may be able to re-route your old washer fluid lines, but rather than lifting the cowl to swap out the line Position (connecting to the nozzles), I’m simply going to extend the line and save myself the hassle. I bought a Dodge Journey washer nozzle line from work 10$, it’s about 5 feet and will do the job nicely.

The pump connector using two white wires, I will be adding a black wire just in case their positions matter

And since I am deleting a PCV breather I required some long PCV hose

i went a bit overkill on my lengths as I’ll be doing this at home not at the shop, not sure how I’m gonna run the washer connector yet so 9 feet should be enough for me to get creative.
Also took the time to use electrical tape and conduit for elemental protection, little details count
Soon:

Old 06-04-2019, 11:17 PM

Get on the ground, simply start removing screws, should be a push pin or two, there's no need to take off the bumper.
Screws are all 8mm i believe, you will need pliers to remove the push pin.
Remove three screws from your fender liner, from the base up.
At this point you should be able to free up the "accessory drive flap" sorta
Remove the connector to the washer tank to feel like your almost there!
(At this point I proceeded to get a visual of where it was mounted)
-----
Now I was not anticipating the inter cooler pump to be so close to the Washer fluid tank studs or whatever. So start removing your headlamp and mounting bracket.

So maybe your setup is different, but my mechanic choose to install the inter cooler pump so darn close to one of the nuts holding the tank, almost makes you wonder why nut just use that stud....anyway at this point I realized why I could not grasp one of the nuts from underneath the car , with a socket.
The inter cooler pump rested on one of the studs preventing my socket from going over it.

Begin to remove the car's horn.

Take a 10 mm wrench and patiently loosen the bolt retaining the pump

One you have relieved enough pressure on the Pump bracket, Remove the two nuts on the side securing the tank.
On the far side there is one bolt. You can easily see it peering into the fender and should be removed that way.
Now, cut the line and remove the tank out the bottom.
I'm one inch lowered in the front and I barely had enough clearance so if your lower, then you may need to just jack it up a little.

Once removed, set the tank aside
Splice in your washer pump extension wire.
Adjust and secure your pump bracket.
Re-install the horn, pre-plan your pump connector extension routing.
Install the Mounting Bracket, Install the headlamp, Secure your Accessory drive shield/ fender liner
-----------------
Now moving to the other side you should have your wire extension readily accessible..
Unless you left your stock intake remaining from you NA days this space should be empty.
Get your lsj tank in the flap, same way you got it out on the drivers side.

At this point as an LAP you realize that although the tank may fit, doesn't mean it will have mounting points everywhere.
From the engine bay looking down, line up the top mounting point with the appropriate hold in the body.
Use a push pin you have acquired.

From the ground looking up secure the base mounting point with a few zip ties again to the cradle/body

The final mounting point doesn't line up with anything, if you had power tools, you could probably add something, my solution was double down on zip ties for that lower point.

Connect the connector, attach your new pump lines.
Pour your old fluid from the tank into your new tank.
Verify it works before assembly.

Hopefully the washer line doesn't melt from the headers, otherwise I'd say it was a success.
Took me about 3 hours with one trip inside to get a wrench...
Though I spent a long time locating the mounting points from underneath before removing the headlight mounting bracket.
I'd say just remove it, gives you much more access and visualization.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:45 PM

So tools required would be a couple extensions of different lengths, 8 and 10 mm sockets, 10 mm short wrench.

The pump connector extension could probably be 7 feet instead of 9 the way I routed it.
And use 18 gauge instead of 16...

Finish off with a couple beers and get pumped for the intake install coming soon.
(waiting on a silicone adapter)
Old 06-05-2019, 06:10 AM

Received 222 Likes on 182 Posts
Nice write up! Could you run the washer line across the front core support?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:53 AM

Nothing stopping you, after a good night sleep that sounds like a better position haha.
The shape of my line prevented me from running it that way from the start,
though the line can be cut to remove corners where you don't want them and add a 90 degree or straight fitting where necessary to get the desired shape.

Though It didn't melt on the way to work! so probably wont cause any issues where it is for the moment!