Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

'06 Cobalt problems, RPMs shooting up, have to force to go past 20!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A quick trip to any REPUTABLE service center would most likely reach the same ends as people here. Since the "noise/louder sounding" coincides with your RPM's increasing it is safe to say the "noise" you hear is actually your engine revs increasing. The rest sounds exactly like a slipping transmission.

People here are sharing years of experience in cars, while you said one person told you it WAS NOT a transmission problem. In general yes, the masses are stupid. That doesn't mean that that is true here, but for years I have seen guys diagnose and offer sound advice to ANY person who asked, regardless of whether they were inquiring about a cobalt or not. Yet you continue to rant about he said, she said. This forum is a community, we aren't here to give you the run around, but just the opposite. So please, if you don't want to hear the responses, don't want to believe the answers or just don't whatever.... Please click the <Log Out> button and go listen to your friend with 15+ years of experience.
/End Thread

Originally Posted by DavidM92
No, I'm not trolling. I'm on the verge of a panic attack considering the only car I own is about to die, and I can't shell out $2,000 + to fix the damn thing. So, yes, I'm going to be speculating a lot and asking questions that I think could be an "easy fix". If you don't have anything informative to say, don't say anything at all.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Yes and good videos, of every issue ur having. I'm sure u wouldn't have to pay 2 grand for a tranny, if that's what it is goto a auto wrecker and get one. There are enough smashed Cobalts around. Or give me 400 for this f23 5 speed I have sitting in my shop and u can have standard lol
Old 07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by bubba_jay
A quick trip to any REPUTABLE service center would most likely reach the same ends as people here. Since the "noise/louder sounding" coincides with your RPM's increasing it is safe to say the "noise" you hear is actually your engine revs increasing. The rest sounds exactly like a slipping transmission.

People here are sharing years of experience in cars, while you said one person told you it WAS NOT a transmission problem. In general yes, the masses are stupid. That doesn't mean that that is true here, but for years I have seen guys diagnose and offer sound advice to ANY person who asked, regardless of whether they were inquiring about a cobalt or not. Yet you continue to rant about he said, she said. This forum is a community, we aren't here to give you the run around, but just the opposite. So please, if you don't want to hear the responses, don't want to believe the answers or just don't whatever.... Please click the <Log Out> button and go listen to your friend with 15+ years of experience.
/End Thread

Very well spoken sir
Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a guy quoting me 45 to take a look, see what's wrong with it, he says it could be one of three things, I'd like your guys input:

1. Torque Converter
2. Tranny Fluid/Filter needs changed(already said here, of course)
3. Tranny is bad, and needs replaced.

For the Torque converter he wants about 770$. (to install and replace), for the Tranny Fluid/Filter he wants 77$(which is only 25 or so extra dollars after the 45), and if the Tranny is bad, he wants 800. Are these fair prices?

COULD it even be the Torque converter?

Edit: Just found the Torque Converter for 200.00$ @ OReilly. Hmm.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

yes it could be any of those things. id say those are good prices.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
They are good prices just hope he does a good job usually rebuilding a transmission will usually cost over $1000 and flushing a transmission with high millage isnt a good idea because the detegents on the new fluid will start to brake down the transmission. I would say passing 70k miles and it has never been serviced before and that depends on weather condition too as that 70k could go down to 60k-65k. you shouldnt do a complete flush anymore and just leave the fluid it has
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by eddieavila10
They are good prices just hope he does a good job usually rebuilding a transmission will usually cost over $1000 and flushing a transmission with high millage isnt a good idea because the detegents on the new fluid will start to brake down the transmission. I would say passing 70k miles and it has never been serviced before and that depends on weather condition too as that 70k could go down to 60k-65k. you shouldnt do a complete flush anymore and just leave the fluid it has

Should I drain it and refill? Or does that mean flush? So, should I just have my father see how low it is, and refill it with what the Owners Manual recommends? Once I do that, see if it improves? Because, It could just be that it's low, correct? (That's the luckyluckyluckyIhopebecauseI'mbroke inside of me hoping heh.)

I get it though -- Worst case scenario, get a new torque converter or tranny?

I'm thinking:

1. Ride down the road to my fathers' house, have him take a look see. If low, purchase tranny fluid, add, test for a day or two to see how it's doing, if it improves, drive until it either dies or get new torque converter or tranny.

Yeah?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

yes, but id say drain fluid and replace since ur doing the work anyway, but for quick fix if its low just add.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by tomj77
yes, but id say drain fluid and replace since ur doing the work anyway, but for quick fix if its low just add.

If there isn't a leak, would it be low at all? I was told that it wouldn't. It would just be really dirty and gunked up, and that, once again, if it has a burned smell, the tranny is toast.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try not to discourage anyone from working on their own car but it will probably cost you more to change the oil yourself if you don't have any tools. I would not recommend someone with your skill/knowledge level to change the tranny or torque converter without the help of a friend who is more experienced. All that being said a set of tools is probably one of the best investments you will ever make as long as you are willing to put time into learning.
Here is a link showing how to change the tranny fluid. Don't get under the vehicle if you don't have jack stands. If you are willing to risk your life for a few bucks go rob liquor stores or something else that gives you a second chance ;-)

How to change Automatic Transmission Fluid + Filt…: http://youtu.be/14jSdg6c-Xs
Old 07-26-2014, 11:18 AM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
Well a complete flush I wouldnt recommend unless your rebuilding the transmission and of course that would be a high millage car. If your going to change the transmission filter you will probably get like 4 quarts out just replace that with new oil, that would be the best thing to do
Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by eddieavila10
Well a complete flush I wouldnt recommend unless your rebuilding the transmission and of course that would be a high millage car. If your going to change the transmission filter you will probably get like 4 quarts out just replace that with new oil, that would be the best thing to do

Like I said though, is changing it a good idea? If it is, I'll have my dad help me do it. He knows how -- He's just scared, like I am, that even letting 4 quarts leak out will kill the tranny if it's bad. So.. I dunno? I'm just so confused.

So - I should replace the filter/gasket and replace SOME of the tranny oil? Like I asked though, it doesn't have a leak that I can see, so would it be low at all? With that being said is changing it a good idea? If it is, I will..
Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dropping the pan and changing fluid and filter will not hurt anything. Only a flush may cause problems on a high mileage tranny that has never been changed before. It can move some of the sediment and cause it to get lodged in some of smaller pasages/check valves.
Go ahead and try it if you are interested. It is relativity cheap and MAY fix your problem. Like I said it is likely cheaper to pay your guy to change it than buying all the tools you need to do it. However if you don't mind getting dirty to save some money you will be able to use these same tools to do your own oil changes and they will pay for themselves in a short time.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by sLAsh
Dropping the pan and changing fluid and filter will not hurt anything. Only a flush may cause problems on a high mileage tranny that has never been changed before. It can move some of the sediment and cause it to get lodged in some of smaller pasages/check valves.
Go ahead and try it if you are interested. It is relativity cheap and MAY fix your problem. Like I said it is likely cheaper to pay your guy to change it than buying all the tools you need to do it. However if you don't mind getting dirty to save some money you will be able to use these same tools to do your own oil changes and they will pay for themselves in a short time.

Thanks for all the help. I found a place that will diagnose the problem for free, and are very reputable in my area. I'm going up there Monday or Tuesday(more likely Tuesday, as I'm off work that day), and will report back and let you guys know what they said is wrong.

Although, I do have a question[I know, I'm a pain in the #@!). A friend of mine from my workplace said that cleaning the O2 censor with some Styrofoam cleaner and letting it sit overnight could possibly fix the problem? I KNOW, I KNOW - You guys keep letting me know that it is NOT the problem, but it couldn't hurt, anyway, right?

Ummm, that aside - I'm not going to do that until after I go to the tranny place Mon. or Tues. I will also not being doing that unless you guys say it couldn't hurt, or they say the same thing,..

Anyway! I'll report back in a couple of days and let you guys know what's up! Thanks again for all the help, please don't close the thread though! Need one last reply and then I wanna report back for more advice when I know something more.

-David

PS; Sorry for being such a pain in the @%!, I'm just not good at cars, and.. well... yeah. Heh.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

seafoam and cleaning o2 wont fix tranny problems
Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
seafoam and cleaning o2 wont fix tranny problems

What WOULD it solve? Having car looked at tomorrow or Tuesday, jw..
Old 07-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Edit: Can go ahead and delete. Took it to a family-owned Transmission shop a few miles from us, took a look at it for free, told me there were not any leaks in the Transmission, but that the Radiator gasket(I think that's what he said - There is one of those, right? Because, if not, he may have said the Transmission fluid gasket), was drenched(pretty sure he said radiator gasket.. idk though), that that is leaking and other than that it seems perfectly fine. We drove it home and all of the symptoms(1. RPMs shooting up almost to 5 when driving only 20 mph, 2. Car struggling to go. You'll see cars you know are only going 25-30 mph race past you as you struggle to get it up to 25), 3. The whistling sound is also gone, as the car is a lot quieter.)

The transmission was 5 and a half quarts low on fluid. The guy filling it would put it in half a quart at a time and came back in after two and said, "It's still not coming out." The owner of the shop told him to keep doing it until it does.. came back after another quart or so, then again after it started to come out. It took five and a half quarts to fill it.. I couldn't believe it was that low!

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by DavidM92; 07-31-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
That will be $50 to my PayPal account for telling you the issue.

Justkidding@paypal.com

But you need to keep an eye on the trans fluid level. It should b a semi sealed system and not lose much if any fluid. Even over 100k miles or more