Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Bad hesitation shifting between gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 09-13-2017, 01:29 AM

Put new sensor in. Still won't start. I erased the codes but they came back p0335 p0336.

Last edited by Johnny Bliss; 09-13-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I believe the LSJ had a TSB for the wiring harness to that sensor. Check all of the wiring.

Check the wiring by the purge valve as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM

I get a rpm reading through scanner but not on the dash is that normal?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:55 PM

Has these codes now...

Bought cam position sensor will put them in soon I guess

Last edited by Johnny Bliss; 09-15-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:56 PM

Put a new cam sensor in it and it still doesn't run.

It sounded like it tried to fire once but that was it.

This thing is turning into a lawn ornament quick
Old 09-13-2017, 09:57 PM

Same codes
Old 09-13-2017, 10:13 PM

I wasnt getting a reading from the maf... Before it was saying like 14 or 15 cfm while cranking...
Old 09-15-2017, 01:25 PM

anyway to check if the cams are turning besides taking the cam sensor housing off or valve cover?
Old 09-15-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
What?

Of course your cams should be turning. Unless you snapped your timing chain?

I'd really suggest taking it to a mechanic. Preferably one that specializes in electrical. Don't tell him your theory's and let him diagnose it.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessk
What?

Of course your cams should be turning. Unless you snapped your timing chain?

I'd really suggest taking it to a mechanic. Preferably one that specializes in electrical. Don't tell him your theory's and let him diagnose it.

durrrrrr

it didn't make any noise it just shut off out of the blue but its possible the timing chain could've had a problem or something i would think it would make noise tho..

its one thing to check.

a mechanic is just going to do the same **** i am and charge me.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Bliss
durrrrrr

it didn't make any noise it just shut off out of the blue but its possible the timing chain could've had a problem or something i would think it would make noise tho..

its one thing to check.

a mechanic is just going to do the same **** i am and charge me.
where did you mention in the last few posts that it just stopped running. If the timing chain snapped while running you would of known because it would of been followed by some bad noises. These are interference motors, if the timing chain goes **** is 95% of the time getting damaged internally.

No a mechanic is more likely to actually figure out whats going on, but if its a half cocked half fixed mess you'll get charged more (which I don't blame mechanics) since you'll likely then blame any future failure on said mechanic. How much have you dropped in random parts trying to "fix" the issue. If you don't have the proper tools then either get them or take it to someone who does.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ECaulk
where did you mention in the last few posts that it just stopped running. If the timing chain snapped while running you would of known because it would of been followed by some bad noises. These are interference motors, if the timing chain goes **** is 95% of the time getting damaged internally.

No a mechanic is more likely to actually figure out whats going on, but if its a half cocked half fixed mess you'll get charged more (which I don't blame mechanics) since you'll likely then blame any future failure on said mechanic. How much have you dropped in random parts trying to "fix" the issue. If you don't have the proper tools then either get them or take it to someone who does.
i know what an interference motor means. the chain would make some noise slamming around i'm guessing... but bending valves doesn't make any noise. done it a couple times... i mentioned in this thread is just randomly stopped out of the blue while accelerating lightly from a stop light.

i have been using torque app to try to figure out what is wrong. the only thing i might not be able to find is a problem with the harness somewhere. i have a multi meter i will use to test the wiring but i'm limited on time right now to work on it.

it had crankshaft and camshaft position sensor codes. i put new ones of both in. didn't change anything ~60 bucks.

after i put the cam sensor in and erased the codes the code came back immediately after i tried to start it.

when i took the cam sensor housing off i tried really hard to not move it and to put it back in how it came out. it seems like if it was barely off it would still at least try to run.

i havent' had time to check one of the coils with a meter. i tried to lay the plug against the head and turn it over, there was no spark. but i'm sure these coils need to be grounded by the bolt. i tried to ground it with a piece of metal but not sure if it was working.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:23 PM

the torque app is able to communicate with the ecm so i dont know if that rules out a problem with it. this is all probably related to the hesitation i've been having.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:41 PM

you likely failed to install the cam postion sensor correct. The GM build book is wrong. If the sensor is off the car will not start no matter how hard you will it to

Read this thread:https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-...r-head-292811/
Old 09-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Also seems like you should trace out the sensors wiring and make sure there isn't a short or a break.

Check compression to verify if there is any internal damage
Old 09-15-2017, 03:05 PM

you likely failed to install the cam postion sensor correct. The GM build book is wrong. If the sensor is off the car will not start no matter how hard you will it to

Also seems like you should trace out the sensors wiring and make sure there isn't a short or a break.

Check compression to verify if there is any internal damage
it seems like i might have no gotten the cam sensor housing in exactly how it was taken out. since it spuddered a tiny bit once when i tried to start it. sounds like if i time it correctly it might start.

i think i have a compression tester somewhere. i took all the plugs out and just visually looked and it seemed like all cylinders were acting normal. it was still getting fuel so it was spraying a bit out of the plug holes. not scientific.

it sounds like my next step is going to be to set the timing on the motor correctly and make sure the cam sensor housing is on right.

while the sensor housing is off i will verify the cams are actually spinning at the same time. wish i could see the cam moving through the oil fill in the valve cover :/

can you see the timing mark on the balancer without taking the wheel off and that fender?

i might try this today if i am able to
Old 09-15-2017, 03:14 PM

oh by the way i think i found the original problemo. i forgot about this.

when i took the cam sensor housing off the bolt was not tight on the sensor and it had some play it in. it probably got bad enough to where it wasn't making a reading at all. i already had it off at this time and put the new sensor in because its only 30 bucks.

odd that the first set of codes were p0355 and p0356, and after i put a new crank position sensor in p0365 and p0366 came up
Old 09-16-2017, 12:21 AM

Not sure why this happened. Not sure why the valve train is so complicated with lifters and rocker arms and ****... Does the ecotech have vvt or something I've never looked.. maybe that lifter is messed up and the rocker arm got bound up and broke the shaft... Or maybe it just broke... But at 2k rpms???

Worst part is that three cam cap bolts got broke off inside the head when the cam went...

Old 09-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
So your camshaft snapped in half or am I missing something?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
So your camshaft snapped in half or am I missing something?
nope you got it.

cam snapped in half at about 2k rpms just cruising. for no apparent reason...

i talked to a guy that only does cylinder heads and he says a lot of ecotec heads come in from broken cam cap bolts. that break and then the cam ends up breaking.

i had 4 broken cam cap bolts, they could've broken at any time i guess. there really is no way to tell why it happened.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:04 PM

cam broke with NO NOISE.

good thing i didn't take it to a mechanic.

taking the head into shop today to get valves done, and a checkup on the rest of it to make sure its ok, remove the broken bolts.

i think i found a used exhaust camshaft.

bought some parts from OTTP, arp cam cap bolts, cometic HG, dual pass endplate and front mount h/e. bought new head bolts and a ching chong meow long tube off ebay.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:08 PM

Old 09-22-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Bliss
cam broke with NO NOISE.

good thing i didn't take it to a mechanic.

taking the head into shop today to get valves done, and a checkup on the rest of it to make sure its ok, remove the broken bolts.

i think i found a used exhaust camshaft.

bought some parts from OTTP, arp cam cap bolts, cometic HG, dual pass endplate and front mount h/e. bought new head bolts and a ching chong meow long tube off ebay.
Did I ever say that a broken cam would make noise? I said timing. Good luck with the ottp parts.