Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Brake issues galore (caliper seizing/pad noise)...need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake issues galore (caliper seizing/pad noise)...need help

OK, I have two separate issues - one is pad-specific for Hawk HPS pads and the other is a general issue.

1st part is for ANYONE out there for Hawk HPS pads: how bad is the squeak/squeal you guys get with the pads?????? I came forewarned that they'd be noisy but I really bought them for the performance aspect for the road course (and they DO work great). BUT....the noise from mine is absolutely UNBEARABLE. Can't drive with the windows down because the noise from the pads drowns out the radio, literally an eardrum-piercing scream. Louder than a school bus. PLENTY of anti-squeal was used in the installation. We even took them BACK off and re-gelled them to make SURE we got enough on there. So that should not be the issue. Any ideas??????

Now, let me preference this second part by saying I have no warranty left - so I would prefer a do-it-yourself solution to going to the dealership and paying out the ear for parts and install. Though I get the feeling that I'll at least be buying new parts.

2nd problem is with what I believe is the right front caliper seizing. It has done this since the car was almost new. Went to GM for it 5 separate times to 2 different dealers. They both said "Oh yeah, that's not an issue." I KNOW it's sticking, with the clutch fully depressed and/or the car in neutral, you can hear the pad dragging on the rotor, so I KNOW that it's sticking and I KNOW that's not normal. Here's my question: is there any way that a rebuild on the caliper would fix the issue or is there some other means by which to attempt to fix it. GM wouldn't even try, they told me it was perfectly normal for cars to do that and there was no reason for them to fix it. BS. Especially since when I had it back in to have the key pad reprogrammed to my new BCM the service guy said "You've got a caliper sticking, that's not good, you should really get that fixed." DUH! I tried!!!!! So if anyone has a suggestion on where to go from here. If caliper assemblies weren't so expensive I'd just buy a new one, which is where this may end up anyway, but I'd like to see if there's some way to troubleshoot/fix the caliper before resorting to buying a new one.