Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Intermediate Shaft Troubleshooting - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermediate Shaft Troubleshooting - HELP!!

NOTE: i have the limited slip diff. To clarify: the intermediate shaft is not to be confused with either CV Shaft. The intermediate shaft is basically a driveshaft.

First thing I've had to fix, 120,000 miles. I heard a humming noise, sounded like a bearing, but noise didn't change when turning as is usually the case with bearings. Got louder with increased speed. no clunking, just humming. I jacked the car up, placed it on jack stands, put it in 1st and 2nd. same hum, but couldn't pin point it to either side. I noticed the noise was coming from the middle of the floor board. I get under the car and see pic 1. Even though I drove several hundred miles (dumb i know) i detected no rattles, or grinding. Upon further research into replacing the oil seal. I come across the possibilities of the stub shaft needing replaced, the carrier bearing/bracket needing replaced, etc. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Also, there is mentioning of a sleeve that needs replaced? is this the sleeve over the intermediate shaft? over the stub shaft? something else? again, im pretty mechanical, I've built motor or two, I own an old Jeep Wrangler, a Ford Ranger, so I work on cars ALOT! BUT this is my baby and front wheel drive, with an LSD, I am a little foggy on this. Thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails intermediate-shaft.jpg  
Old 05-22-2018, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Received 584 Likes on 519 Posts
I would definitely say the axle seal needs to be replaced.

As for the intermediate shaft, I had a buddys go bad, ended up finding a replacement sealed bearing at napa and installing that. Maybe try getting some numbers off the bearing? or take the whole thing down there and try to match it up.
The following users liked this post:
jdoginc (05-29-2021)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
the stub shaft and/or sleeve you find mention of is only on the automatics.

the axle seal for sure needs changing, when you pull it apart have a close look at the intermediate shaft where the seal rides, if there is a groove worn in it you either need to use a speedy-sleeve or replace the shaft. have a good feel of the intermediate shaft bearing when your there.
The following users liked this post:
jdoginc (07-12-2018)