Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Don't Hate

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05redline
I hope so becuase those wheels look like something from the late 80s to early 90s.

Black torque thrust style wheels would really look nice on a GN though.
well it is a late 80's car....
Old 07-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you know that they are real GNXs? I doubt all five would be the real thing, since they are rare as hell. GNX clone parts are not that hard to find, and unlees you really know what to look for most anyone would assume it's the real thing.
They've all got the numbered dash plaques, all but like i said one have the original motor in the original frame and the guy with the motor has paperwork on both the frame and the motor which he got out of a total loss GNX.

LOL I'm taking my damn camera next time to TNT night.

The other car that crops up around here WAY more than it statistically should is the Studebaker Avanti. There are a ton of those damn things around.

Originally Posted by Jackalope
This is great! So far we can account for what 10 or 15 of the 547 GNX's GM built 20 years ago right here on our little web site.

Me thinks some people maaaaay be confussed as to what a GNX is.
I know what a GNX is and the differences between the two. Hell I'll see if I can track down my batshit looney neighbor and get pics of his. His is in pretty pathetic condition as he is often, erm, how to put this, um, "indisposed" at a certain county and/or state facility at times and the car gets neglected.

It's probably a fake ass knock off. Like I said if the guy had a bit of common sense, he would know that the car is worth big money and wouldn't be treating it like that. I wouldn't even let a GN go like that.
You'd be surprised. The guy my uncle sources parts from have found TRUE GNX's in places you'd never imagine and in absolutley horrid condition.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Speaking of statistically rare cars, does anyone know what the final production run of the 08 SS/TC is? Talking to the dealer, they cannot order any more 08's. That means that there was about a 5 month window to place orders.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alleycat58
They've all got the numbered dash plaques, all but like i said one have the original motor in the original frame and the guy with the motor has paperwork on both the frame and the motor which he got out of a total loss GNX.
Dash plaques are not that hard to find on the GNX and GN forums. I remebr seeing before that someone makes reproduction plaques. Look on the inside of the driver's door and look for an ASC Mclaren decal and the Fisher Body plate, it'll have GNX on it. Those are a sure way of telling that it's the real thing.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:23 PM

nice

some GNX facts:
The 1987 was the last of the Buick Grand Nationals. Only 547 were produced making then quite rare and very collectible The GNX was built as a limited edition by both Buick and ASC/McLaren. Buick delivered fully optioned Grand Nationals over to ASC/McLaren. Specialty Products to be modified extensively.

Modifications started with the engine which received special components, including more efficient Garrett air-to-air intercooler. The pipe that make the intercooler to the engine is specially coated with a CERMATEL (ceramic/aluminum) coating for increased heat rejection and dissipation which is the key to increased turbocharged engine performance! For additional heat dissipation, front fender vents were installed to pull the heat away from the engine while driving.

The engine also received a special Garrett "hybrid" T-s turbocharger that uses a very lightweight ceramic impeller (as opposed to metal for the GN). The decreased weight allows the turbocharger to spin up much faster, thereby decreasing the turbo-lag time inherent in turbocharged engines. For additional efficiency the turbocharger incorporates special low drag, dynamic turbine shat seals, and a built in contamination trap. The system uses an electronic wastegate, and maximum boost is set at 15 psi.

The net result of these modifications was an engine that produced well over 275 horsepower and a fantastic (by today's production car standards) 360 ft. lbs. of torque. No other production V-6 engine that Buick has produced to date, including the new Series II Supercharged engine can touch this powerplant in brute power in original factory configuration.

To handle this extra power, the transmission was beefed up with firmer shifts and the rear axle received a longitudinal torque ladder bar with a panhard rod to help wheel hop and torque twist. Likewise, it received a special rear axle housing cover (aluminum, with GNX embossed on it) that serves as an additional strengthening element and point for the torque bar. For even more strengthening, the car body received special structural reinforcements in the form of "behind-the-back-seat bracing" and special chassis (steel cross member between the chassis rails) bracing.

The GNX was the only Regal to ever receive 16 in. wheels. The front and rear wheels were not interchangeable as they were smaller in front, thus receiving smaller front tires (P245/50VR16 front and P255/50VR16 rear).

Special (welded-in) fender flair's were added to the wheel openings to make more room for the oversized wheels and tires. The wheels themselves are a lightweight alloy, which together with special aluminum bumpers and brackets and other weight saving measures, make the GNX the quiet nimble and very responsive.

The engine is monitored by a special Steward Warner analog gauge package that includes a 16o m.p.h. speedometer, 8000 r.p.m. tachometer, oil pressure gauge, water temperature gauge, fuel gauge, and turbo boost gauge with a 15 p.s.i. limit.

All GNX's were black in color and received only minor exterior identification in the form of "GNX" badges placed on the front radiator grille and rear deck lid. Additionally, a special turbocharger heat shield had "GNX" stamped-out on large letters. Plus, the aluminum rear axle cover was embossed with the same "GNX" lettering. Each GNX recited a special numbered plaque mounted on the passenger side dash which identified the number of that particular car (1-547). Also the Fischer Body Plate has the name "GNX" stamped on it! Special decals that include the "GNX" lettering were use on the intercooler and other locations. All GNX's have hidden I.D. stampings to prevent fakes. To order a (GNX exclusive) part you must supply the V.I.N. number, the turbocharger number and other I.D. numbers. This is to stop people from ordering parts simply to horde them and perhaps more importantly, to stop fakes from being produced using factory original parts.

http://www.tctc.com/~avblefty/87gnx.htm
Old 07-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Does it have the logo on the seats, the dash plaque, or the ASC Mclaren decal on the inside of the door?
Dash plaques are not that hard to find on the GNX and GN forums. I remebr seeing before that someone makes reproduction plaques. Look on the inside of the driver's door and look for an ASC Mclaren decal and the Fisher Body plate, it'll have GNX on it. Those are a sure way of telling that it's the real thing.
Don't ever, ever, ever go by seats, there are SO many places that have that embrodery template for people building "replicas".

Yes, they all have the decal from what I remember, in fact most GNX owners will point that out first thing. Like I said, I checked them over pretty carefully and MOST of these guys have the original window sticker with the VIN on it.

The track guys actually drive theirs, but there are 2 that go on the Western PA/Ohio show circuit that are trailered - both owned by the same guy no less - BOTH have less than 1,000 miles on them and one even still has the plastic covers over the seats from the factory. IIRC one car he bought from the dealer, the other was purchased from another collector later down the line.

For it being a "winter" area, this place is kind of an anomaly for cars, we get some of the rarest and most interesting cars around here in numbers you would not believe.

Porsche RS America is another one that comes to mind. I've been to track days with as many as 6 running at a time. I was told when Porsche was a featured Marque at the PVGP there were close to 50 on the track.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM

finished with the detail, ill just make a new thread since this one is a tad off topic haha
Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Former Vendor

just a tad off
Old 07-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Alley I wasn't pointing you out either. Your one of the few people here that I believe when they say something. I have a pretty good BS filter.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alleycat58
Don't ever, ever, ever go by seats, there are SO many places that have that embrodery template for people building "replicas".
No, I wouldn't go strictly on that but it would be a good starting point. Anyone could build a look-a-like clone, but the stamping and identiciations tell the story. I can tell weather or not one is real, the GNX is only one of my top all time favorite cars.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 PM

No, I wouldn't go strictly on that but it would be a good starting point. Anyone could build a look-a-like clone, but the stamping and identiciations tell the story. I can tell weather or not one is real, the GNX is only one of my top all time favorite cars.
Next time I see any of them, I will take pix. They range in condition from the really freaky one that looks like it was just trailered in from the showroom to some of the more "well used" ones.

I fell in love with that car when I was 6 years old. My dad worked at a Buick dealer and they unloaded the car, he plopped me down in the passenger seat, buckled me in, and showed me what the car could do. That was the first *new* performance car I'd ever been in, has always and will always hold a special place in my car heart!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 PM

ok peeps, here is what the thread was intended for-

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/grand-national-detail-124318/
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 PM

Nice
Old 07-25-2008, 09:26 PM

i would sell my left nut for a grand national
Old 08-12-2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zven
Great looking car! I'll have to post some pics of mine up tomorrow for that!

They are amazing cars. Neither the GN's or T-Types for 1984 or 85 were intercooled. Both were intercooled for 86 and 87. The 87's had the most HP with around 245hp... but what was amazing was that from the factory these monsters laid down over 355lbs of torque. With just a few modifications, this number crept closer to 500lbs.

BTW Everyone here should know that 2009 is the LAST year for the Buick 231 now known as the 3800 Series making it one of the longest running engine series of all time. The basic block design was first used by Buick in 1962 known as the Fireball and by 1978 the designers realized the strength potential of this design and began developing it for turbo applications.

Now for a pipe dream... sure be nice if Buick would run production for an extra year and revive the Turbo Buick. Can anyone say 2010 Grand National!
Hey, I've got one of those..