Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Removing paint spots without fux0ring your paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing paint spots without fux0ring your paint?

Hey guys.

About 3 months ago, the administration of the place I live at started doing some changes around, including new roofs and painting all houses around here. And I might say that the paint job they did was crappy and they ended up painting a lot of stuff they shouldn't have.

Including my car.

Now, it isn't anything visible if you not standing more than 3 inches from it, but every now and then you see little white paint spots, like if they were spraying stuff on the wall and the wind blew it into the car. I just realized it some time ago, so I can't go ahead and file a complaint against them. Besides the fact I can't prove it's their fault.

So, do you guys think there's any way to do this? I don't want to be applying remover in my car and wake up in the morning yelling "WTF HAPPENED TO MY CAR". I tried using 3M's watermark remover, but those things just won't come off by rubbing them. The only way I can get some of them out is by running my nail over a couple times, but they're many, all around the car ( more critical on the hood and trunk ), so I wanted something I could rub into a piece of cloth, wipe it around and bam, have it fixed.

I CAN, however, stay with the nailing process, which might take a few years to complete.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Try some type of lacquer thinner or paint thinner, that should take it off just make sure you put some wax on the spots you do use it and make sure not to use to much and it should turn out good!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:05 PM

Clay bar 100% should take care of it no prob
Old 03-15-2007, 03:11 PM

I did take some pictures of it, but it's sunny outside so nothing shows up. I'll see if I get some later.

So, just a little of lacquer thinner in the spots and rub a bit? Alright, I'll try that.

And I'll get the clay bar as well, just in case.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HAVE THEM PAY TO FIX IT CAUSE THEY FUCKED IT UP! Geeeeez! Whay the hell should you have to clean up after them? You say it happened too long ago? BS! I'd be demanding they fix it!

Good luck!
Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Yeah, I know... but the thing is, I've got no way to prove it's their fault. Unless, of course, I take that paint to a lab and have it analyzed and compared to the one used on the walls... but hell, I think it's less work to just go buy the damn clay bar.

If it's permanent damage or things get worse... I'll definitely stick that up their asses and have them pay for a new paint job in the whole car.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:17 PM

I would try the clay bar before the thinner, it is a lot safer for your car. Also wash your car before you do anything about getting that paint off so as not to scratch your car with the dirt already on there.

BTW dealers and detailers use clay bars to take off vehicle overspray.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Oh yeah, for sure I'll wash it before. I always do it before anything else.

I'm gonna rush to autozone this instant and get one of those. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:34 AM

I hate to bump topics up, but I'll do it this time to give you guys an update.

Ok, so I went to Autozone, picked up a Meguiar's clay kit and used it today on the car.

I gotta say that the results were just awesome. The car looks and feels so much cleaner now, and most of the paint spots were removed. There's still a few ones here and there, and maybe it's nitpicking but hey, it's my car, my baby. Can't have anything that's not supposed to be there!

It did a great job, though, and now I'm much happier I'll give'er some waxing tomorrow and enjoy the sense of cleanliness that I'm getting after the awesomeness of clay bars.