Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

YYZ springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frogstofall
I'd like to preface this response by saying that I am in no way trying to discredit John or anyone here at all. I'll also add that I'm elated to see hard working people like John, develop new products for our platform especially those that improve the driving experience.

That being said, I would really like to see a 100% objective review/comparison of these spring vs. Pedders. Find someone that doesn't even drive a Cobalt but that drives competitively and put them in a Cobalt with Pedders. Send them around a course. Then put them in the SAME car but with YYZ springs and send them around the course again. After all that's done, get their feedback.

This would be nice b/c I'll be honest, I don't think anyone that buys these springs is gonna say anything negative about them. Not only b/c they would want justification for the money they spent but also b/c of having loyalty to Powell (well deserved loyalty I might add) and that adds a serious amount of bias.

As it sits, personally I need that b/c right now I'm not sold on these but I WANT TO BE. I don't like the ride height but I'd be willing to ignore it if I read a good objective review from someone. Again, I'm not trying to be Downer Dan or anything, just trying to illustrate a point.

Thanks John for your hard work.
I kinda see where you coming from... BUT HERES THE THING: Powell loyalty has gotten to be this way because he's really the only guy that has proven time and time again to have the best products out there without any arguing. Yea there will always be the skeptics, and I suppose I can see where there coming from, but you pay for a good product and you get a good product. its just the mentality powell basis his company on.

I'm not trying to come off as a Powell nutswinger at all, but considering idk if I've ever even seen a bad review about Powell, well that may not mean nutswinging, that may just mean his products are working damn well. Once you buy one of his products, you won't go back. I never fully realized this until I got my Hardcore bar and compared it to other companies (eibach's breaking, TTR's rusting/breaking, etc). Never have I seen anything like that from a Powell sway bar

as far as springs go, I've seen the bad in Pedders in person and ridden on them before, so I need no comparison as to what would be better. IMO stock ss/tc springs are better long term than Pedders. So if powells guarantee holds on the fact they wont sag over time, etc and they are designed to handle top notch. I'm already sold! nothing else needs to be said

There are two ways to look at this though, and I can see where your coming from with trying to get a fair review n all, but I'm just saying that maybe you need to think that Powell fans are this loyal for a reason.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 AM

You just proved my point. This is why I'd like a non-biased 3rd party review. FWIW, I love my Pedders. They ride great, handle decently and drop is perfect for me.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You just proved my point. This is why I'd like a non-biased 3rd party review. FWIW, I love my Pedders. They ride great, handle decently and drop is perfect for me.
Although i will not be able to get my friend (drives bmw's competitively) on a road course, i will have him drive my car with pedders then drive my car with YYZ springs. How does that sound?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 68nova200
Although i will not be able to get my friend (drives bmw's competitively) on a road course, i will have him drive my car with pedders then drive my car with YYZ springs. How does that sound?
Sounds perfect! That's exactly what I'd like to see.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Sounds perfect! That's exactly what I'd like to see.
i will see if i can arrange it today. (YYZ drive wont be until next week tho)
Old 08-10-2012, 07:44 AM

I would think doing them as close as possible would be best but if he at least can make some notes that'll be helpful.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:48 AM

ill do my best. I haven't even gotten my springs yet and i only have install time on the weekends. But it will be today and monday.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TX.SS.TC
Powell, would you sell just 2 front springs?
lol

ah .....

no.

xfd

sorry hope u understand, we make them in sets.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM
Former Vendor

so far:
reports in from
stealth tc
distillion
kweenredline
qwikredline
loki
wangspeed
bluenote

all say the same thing, all have driven extensively with Cobalts, some longer than others, and all rode off the cars back to back pedders to YYZ and in fact, four of those folks did it back to back with two cars one pedders one YYZ which is as close to a/b/a as you can get. qwik and kween are not unbiased i suppose. Distillion runs his own contario cobalt club and web site has had an 06 forever. Loki is a pro driver. wangspeed is a pro period. Bluenote started this thread, must be a nutswinger...

Not sure what else to do, not sure I care after a bit. Truth will out.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
Bluenote started this thread, must be a nutswinger...
First thing I read after waking up, should probably go back to sleep
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BLue NoTe
Yeah its gotten to the point where I'm surprised every time with how well the rear responds with the XXX bar. So good. Wang how do you like the twist beam bushing? I'm getting that tomorrow
It's hard to tell on the street, but that's a good thing. It means that it's not beating me up. I do need to spin the nut off and check the bushing clearance, but I suspect it's okay. Another part that's worth getting. My stock one was partly torn on both sides.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 839 Likes on 736 Posts
Just ordered these, I wasn't on pedders' before (ssi low and rough ride), but I have koni's all the way around. hopefully I'll be able to install them next weekend and I'll hit up some switch backs.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
until they collapse..... after my last track event i had my front right spring collapse. but they have quite a bit of miles on them.

my honest opinion is that you want guys that drive cobalts to tell you whats going on..... guy that know the chassis, know the suspension and so forth. they can tell you whats right and whats not. its like when i said stances....... for the longest time guys whored out how amazing the handling is and its not. same thing with h&rs, eibachs etc etc. i went through a phase of testing all the springs on load machines and on the car driving.

stock and pedders were the best until now. i still need to get a set on the car to give my honest feedback. i can tell you when doing load testing on the pedders they DO NOT compress perfectly straight vs stock springs which is no bueno imho.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Former Vendor

I think we have to look at this intelligently Matty. From what we know, just leave Froggie alone, and in 6 months or so he will be posting on CSS whining about suspension noise, banging, uneven ride height and rusty springs.

So no problem Frogstofall enjoy your ride!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 PM

anyone run these on an auto? after my horrible experience with stance I am afraid to run anything on my car that lowers it due to the crazy axle bind/popping/breaking issues I had...
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 PM

^ on a base model your looking at a little over an inch of drop, these springs should be perfect for you.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 PM

im not bashing him or anything.... he might not have issues. mine bad it who knows how long. i put close to 30k on them total plus whatever was on them from wills car when he had them. will be good enough for now.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 839 Likes on 736 Posts
Originally Posted by Tank07
anyone run these on an auto? after my horrible experience with stance I am afraid to run anything on my car that lowers it due to the crazy axle bind/popping/breaking issues I had...

It won't lower your car enough to ruin axles, they aren't really lowering springs(while they do drop it a bit, john has a post about the drop it gives), they're for suspension performance.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Who's gotten their set so far?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Former Vendor

r3v07ut10n got his on yesterday. His Pedders were totalled. Pedders did send him replacement fronts, the GM dealer said the springs were no good...
road test results were as you suggested, he found they were night and day. Therefore r3v07ut10n
is a nutswinger.
stealth TC got his on, coming off stock TC springs, another night day nutswinger.

Oh and for Frogstofall, NO notes taken. Not sure what you need to take notes for. StealthTC says he will when he gets his computer working. schools out...

Like....

meh.

Last edited by Powell Race Parts; 08-12-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:26 PM

Got mine on yesterday for an autox today.

First install: Went pretty easy. For the rears, definetly heat up the center of the bottom perch. Went on like butter once heated. For the fronts I did what John suggested not using a springs compressor. For all F23/auto cobalts with the crazy long passenger side axle, it makes it pretty difficult to do this spring without a helper, but with two people it's easily done.

As for the springs, love them. The ride is IMHO better than stock ss/tc springs. I know it isn't recommended to use FE5 shocks/struts with these springs, but they are still very good. I get a little more rotation, but it comes in evenly and controllable. Also noticed a little less body roll. As far as height, coming from stock ss/tc FE5 suspension mine dropped an inch all the way around, maybe a little less in front but a very good height.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM
Former Vendor

good news. For those who have my trailing cabs undo both the leading and trailing cab bolts so you can get enough travel to so the spring swap; the cabs have enough travel for suspension movement, but not enough over travel for dropping the knuckle out of range to do the spring swap.

For F23 I forgot the long axle on the passenger side, maybe releasing the lower control arm would help that a bit as well. A good helper goes a long way! And I am uploading pictures of the heat gun to add to the how to. Thanks Noorj for paying attention, it really makes the isolators a snap compared to any other way...

no more than 60 seconds seems to work best, dont melt it.

Name:  DSCN6809.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  4.27 MB

Name:  DSCN6811.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  4.15 MB

the rear upper go to the lower part of insulator sideways
Name:  DSCN6812.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  3.77 MB

Name:  DSCN6815.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  4.05 MB

then use the flat side of a bfh to get it in. put something soft under the spring to avoid abrasion

Last edited by Powell Race Parts; 08-12-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:45 AM

Hey John question for you, for more camber up front would you recommend the strut bolt hole enlargement method or camber bolts?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:52 AM

get camber bolts..... not sure if johns working on a camber plate still....

biggest thing you can look for is your tire wear. if your wearing to the outer edge you need more negative camber.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 AM

Sub'd

Quick Reply: YYZ springs