Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

YYZ springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Omiotek
get camber bolts..... not sure if johns working on a camber plate still....

biggest thing you can look for is your tire wear. if your wearing to the outer edge you need more negative camber.
A few things about camber bolts. Turn the bolt so that the head is at the front. This is important because you need the lock washer to fully engage the cam lobe, which is not possible on the other side due to the bracket.

The other thing is that it should be torqued to 85 ftlbs.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll be getting bolts soon I guess to figure out how much camber I'll want/get used to it for next season.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by c130aviator
Thanks for the very well written reply but a true "enthusiast" wouldn't be driving a cobalt, lol, so anyway a lot of people have something to prove and I just don't buy into it. I do however have a very large desire for some of your more useful parts (rotated mounts, braking)
CM is the only springs I would run out of the ones listed here, "enthusiasts" mention that they are too soft but they are near stock rates. How can that be a bad thing since the car was proven in the Nürburgring.
Thanks for making parts for our cars btw, you are respected for a reason.
You're not helping your case here. I picked this car to be my track car. I think I qualify as an enthusiast. I have long list of fun good handling cars that I've owned. I picked this one because it's a well engineered car that is a monster on track. I'm not the only one that realized this. There are plenty of folks running track and autox events in Cobalt SS. Fairly sure they are also enthusiasts. Some choose to participate on this forum. Others wisely avoid.

As far as springs rates go. Again not doing yourself any favors here. If you reduce the travel to the point where you bang off the bump stops all the time, then the springs are too soft, or you have reduced the amount of travel too much. I had this problem with the front Pedders, and couteracted by running a custom set of linear rate bump stops, which is an artificial attempt to up the spring rate.

If you need to slam your car more than 1" from the TC ride height, then these aren't the right springs for you. There are tons of cheap crappy options that will accomplish that. Enjoy them.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
lol I think warren has it....check with gloria lol
Yep. I have it. Ready to send it to the next person. Just let me know!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM

i have H&r sports right now, and they are way too soft. plus the rake is terrible, i am slammed in the front and 3 finger gap in the rear after 1 year and 15k miles.

Nobody has talked in comparison to the B&G springs. They seem to have better springs rates and they lower the car to slammed in the front and 1 finger gap in the rear which is perfect in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wangspeed
You're not helping your case here. I picked this car to be my track car. I think I qualify as an enthusiast. I have long list of fun good handling cars that I've owned. I picked this one because it's a well engineered car that is a monster on track. I'm not the only one that realized this. There are plenty of folks running track and autox events in Cobalt SS. Fairly sure they are also enthusiasts. Some choose to participate on this forum. Others wisely avoid.

As far as springs rates go. Again not doing yourself any favors here. If you reduce the travel to the point where you bang off the bump stops all the time, then the springs are too soft, or you have reduced the amount of travel too much. I had this problem with the front Pedders, and couteracted by running a custom set of linear rate bump stops, which is an artificial attempt to up the spring rate.

If you need to slam your car more than 1" from the TC ride height, then these aren't the right springs for you. There are tons of cheap crappy options that will accomplish that. Enjoy them.
haha agreed car and drive voted 08-10 cobalt ss best bang for the buck under 25k and thats one of reasons i bought it and to be a cheap track car also so you sir not wang are an idiot lol
Old 08-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by AARON-SS-TC
i have H&r sports right now, and they are way too soft. plus the rake is terrible, i am slammed in the front and 3 finger gap in the rear after 1 year and 15k miles.

Nobody has talked in comparison to the B&G springs. They seem to have better springs rates and they lower the car to slammed in the front and 1 finger gap in the rear which is perfect in my opinion.
ur springs look like this:
free length rear is 11.25
10.25 in compression 255 mm 100 lbs

7 1/4 in compression coils bound

free length front is 11.25

255 mm 10 100

185mm 7.25 compression 360 lbs
158mm 6.25 coil bound
Old 08-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor

old news. One unfortunate characteristic of people is they tend to rubbish what went down before.

the current management at GM is not a lot different from prior to bankruptcy. Karl Strake fits into that category.

and regrettably, this forum has people who drive Cobalts and love to say what a pos it is. Which begs the question, why do you drive one, hang around here, just to say you hate your car and its a pos?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM

ur springs look like this:
free length rear is 11.25
10.25 in compression 255 mm 100 lbs

7 1/4 in compression coils bound

free length front is 11.25

255 mm 10 100

185mm 7.25 compression 360 lbs
158mm 6.25 coil bound

thanks for the info, but what is the comparison on the B&G springs?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by c130aviator
Keep drinking the Kool Aid. Even GM thinks our cars are crap.

While driving a Cobalt, Karl Stracke, vice president of global vehicle engineering, was blunt: "Look at this car, it's horrible. How did this get through so many people."
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/gene...rrible-215138/
I think he was talking about the base model not the ss
Old 08-14-2012, 11:13 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
old news. One unfortunate characteristic of people is they tend to rubbish what went down before.

the current management at GM is not a lot different from prior to bankruptcy. Karl Strake fits into that category.

and regrettably, this forum has people who drive Cobalts and love to say what a pos it is. Which begs the question, why do you drive one, hang around here, just to say you hate your car and its a pos?
Some ppl are never statisfied, they could have a supercar but would complain about not enough trunk space. The cobalt is a great car for the cost.

Explaining your springs more to some ppl is like beating a dead horse. There will be plenty of ppl that will enjoy your springs for what they are designed for.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Former Vendor

thanks for the info, but what is the comparison on the B&G springs?
Huh? I said "UR SPRINGS LOOK LIKE THIS" not sure how I can make it clearer.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor

Post #92
But let me throw in some information here. Nominal rates. As the manufacturing shot peening normalizes, YYZ may settle 1/8th to 1/4 inch, NO loss of rate.

StockTC FE5 springs: front. Linear. 158 lbs
Pedders: front. Linear. 139 lbs.
YYZ: front. Progressive. 138 lbs at the first 5.5 inches of travel to 265 at full compression
(1st load 762 lbs @6.4 inches/2nd load 993 lbs @5.5. inches.)

Rear YYZ are variable rate. Pedders are not.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by blackonblack07
Some ppl are never statisfied, they could have a supercar but would complain about not enough trunk space. The cobalt is a great car for the cost.

Explaining your springs more to some ppl is like beating a dead horse. There will be plenty of ppl that will enjoy your springs for what they are designed for.
^^^ troof thank you
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM

sorry, thought you were talking about my h&r springs rather than the B&G i was wanting to get...
Old 08-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Former Vendor

sorry, thought you were talking about my h&r springs rather than the B&G i was wanting to get...
Now its me that has to apologise. H&R are shown. B&G are similar, but lower therefore worse.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
I can see these springs are good for the track individual and im glad that someone is still making good parts for our platform.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
b&g springs garbage....ive tested all of these....
Old 08-14-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Wangspeed

i have to agree here..... i mean i have multiple cars that range ALL OVER. 2001 Subaru RS, 2009 Cobalt SS, 1996 Saleen mustang, 1994 Z28(drag car) 81 Z28....so i mean i dont see where im not an enthusiast.... ive toyed with them all and done a lot of things to them. the cobalts by far one of my favorite owned cars to the day. ive had 2 of them. one making 442whp 450 ftlbs and after the accident i now have a mostly stock one. amazing car on the track and it hangs with the pack of cars that normally runs which include gt500s, 5.0s, boss 302s, couple corvettes, rx7s, other cobalts and so forth. some of this could be due to drivers but the cars never failed me on the track and on the road. track toy and dd
Old 08-14-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Omiotek
b&g springs garbage....ive tested all of these....
Really? Well, i appreciate the response...so i basically wouldnt be getting a better spring, just a better look than my H&R sports
Old 08-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok now im just confused, few weeks ago pedders was the ****, everyone said they where awesome, so about a week ago I bought some, and now since john came out with his pedders are trash? are pedders still a good performance spring or not? I understand johns springs are better for performance but it seems like everyone is now saying pedders are trash.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Yes, my car handled very well with Pedders. The big issue people had was that for their ride height they were too soft and it caused them to hit the bumpstops. That caused ride issues and apparently on wangspeeds car damage to his twist beam bushing and a bent shock, again since they were too soft for their ride height. I've never heard of a broken set of Pedders but they do rust, John says these hyperco made springs will not

They WERE the best option, the only performance option. Not anymore
Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLue NoTe
Yes, my car handled very well with Pedders. The big issue people had was that for their ride height they were too soft and it caused them to hit the bumpstops. That caused ride issues and apparently on wangspeeds car damage to his twist beam bushing and a bent shock, again since they were too soft for their ride height. I've never heard of a broken set of Pedders but they do rust, John says these hyperco made springs will not

They WERE the best option, the only performance option. Not anymore
well I dont do any autocross or **** like that, im hit the 1/4 track a few times once im done with my setup but outside of that I just do a lil street racing and hitting corners and **** so I just want something that is focused on performance for the street with good looks, im guessing pedders will be more then enough for that?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Vander Nars
well I dont do any autocross or **** like that, im hit the 1/4 track a few times once im done with my setup but outside of that I just do a lil street racing and hitting corners and **** so I just want something that is focused on performance for the street with good looks, im guessing pedders will be more then enough for that?
These should ride better than pedders since the rate is not linear, and the price point is fairly close, along with ride height (if I remember correctly, check back in the #60ish posts there is some photos of pedders then yyz). Not to mention John stands behind his work and if you have issues he will fix the problem and replace the part.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
Ok now im just confused, few weeks ago pedders was the ****, everyone said they where awesome, so about a week ago I bought some, and now since john came out with his pedders are trash? are pedders still a good performance spring or not? I understand johns springs are better for performance but it seems like everyone is now saying pedders are trash.
I mentioned on the forum that they weren't very good if you push them. No one listened. Bugged John privately about it, til he did something to fix it

Quick Reply: YYZ springs