War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

cobalt ls vs. 04 cavy

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You said save the LS to be what it is, "a grocery getter" and I simply stated and backed up that the LS can very easily be brought up to standards with the TC for minimal money.
I never said that the TC wasn't a good car and isn't a good bang for the buck, it is, but it's easy to make the LS as comparable. I just hear on a regular basis how the LS cannot keep up with or beat the TC or SC for that matter for the same amount if you went out and bought the SC or TC in the first place.

Springs and tires, hard to believe, to be honest if someone just told me that it helped them that much I'd call bullshit to, but it does.

Last edited by Rocket; 11-03-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thing is...there's a couple so cal guys with lowered ls's...and they'll tell you exactly what I'm telling you.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:21 PM

Good for them. Im telling YOU what MY car does.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rissa
The thing is...there's a couple so cal guys with lowered ls's...and they'll tell you exactly what I'm telling you.
Pwned...now stfu ur LS is an ss/tc killer we get it, blah blah blah *yawn*
Old 11-03-2009, 06:31 PM

How is that owned? That's what they say, I say what I say. If you get it then why are you still arguing with me?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Their cars are pretty much the same as yours lol. One's supercharged(he recently sold it) and the other is turbo'd.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rocket
How is that owned? That's what they say, I say what I say. If you get it then why are you still arguing with me?
When the weather gets better Ill run you at a lebanon dragstrip. Its the closest to where im located.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 PM

I already told you Rissa, I'm telling you what MY car does, I can't speak for others.

BlackOnBlackSS sounds good
Old 11-03-2009, 06:58 PM

I already told you Rissa, I'm telling you what MY car does, I can't speak for others.

BlackOnBlackSS sounds good
You do know where that is rite?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:01 PM

No but my husband does. He says it's a **** track and we should go to New England Drag as it's a way better track. But the tracks are closed for now anyways. We can figure all that out come spring.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Lol all right, I can predict this outcome as well. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but you have to think logically about what your car is and isn't capable of.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:06 PM

And you need to shut your trap when you have no clue what your talking about

You go by what he said she said. i go by experience. I don't need to worry about what he said she said. I know what my car can do and what it's capable of. If he wins, he wins. It's not the end of the world. If I win I win, again, not the end of the world. Racing is a hobby = fun. Not life or death lol
Old 11-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Because your ls is somehow faster and handles better than cars with identical set ups as yours? All right then lol with that said I'm out of here, blackSS you can tell me the outcome of the race, and do some twisties too that way we can lay this "argument" to rest with the answer that everyone else already knows. I know what I'm talking about since I own the car you think you can beat, and the answer to that question has been and always will be no, unless you buy all of the components that make up the ss/tc suspension, which you do not have. Laterrrr.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Rissa
Because your ls is somehow faster and handles better than cars with identical set ups as yours? All right then lol with that said I'm out of here, blackSS you can tell me the outcome of the race, and do some twisties too that way we can lay this "argument" to rest with the answer that everyone else already knows. I know what I'm talking about since I own the car you think you can beat, and the answer to that question has been and always will be no, unless you buy all of the components that make up the ss/tc suspension, which you do not have. Laterrrr.
Lol shes just pissed cuz she spent 20 g's so far to make 270whp

Come by whenever your ready. I'll give a headstart,or should I not since you clearly own an ss/tc killer
Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Nah dude her car is cool there is a lot of work behind it, and it looks 190128370129381290 x better than every other g5, but some people need to get real, especially when the tc was designed for handling. That's like saying I could outhandle a lotus exige through a canyon road because I'm lowered with different tires. Just not happening.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 PM

what a joke!

this is a good read!

little did i know that allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the development done on the LNF car was able to be out done by joe averige with a set of wholly undeveloped springs, mis-matched dampers, and a set of garbage street tires!

well ****, guess i should have thought of that!

Rissa, we need to talk tires. ultimate grip wise, the nitto streets have LESS ultimate grip then the OE conti's.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by 06black
what a joke!

this is a good read!

little did i know that allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the development done on the LNF car was able to be out done by joe averige with a set of wholly undeveloped springs, mis-matched dampers, and a set of garbage street tires!

Rissa, we need to talk tires. ultimate grip wise, the nitto streets have LESS ultimate grip then the OE conti's.
ditto
Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by 06black
what a joke!

this is a good read!

Though you guys do need to remember the Engineers and developers built the car the way the bean counters would let them. So there is room for improvement and the LNF cars are not the Holy Grail but merely a better starting point. Just a few less stair cases to the top of the building thats all.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:58 AM

*sigh* All I was doing was proving my point that it is more then possible to make an LS compete and even beat a TC within a decent price range. There are some (not all but a lot) of TC owners that need to pull there head out of there ass and realize there cars ARE NOT UNTOUCHABLE. Just because I have absolutely nothing better to do and watching you people get your feathers ruffled up because I said the unspeakable let's compare. Then build an LS to keep up with the TC. Note this is all straight off of GM's site. *Also note, I'm sure that some of this CAN'T be true because your buddy down the street has one and there's doesn't have whatever and it doesnt ride like this and can't keep up with that*

http://compare.autodata.gm.ca/compar...dv%3DCHCOGA003 <-- source

Specifications 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe

Engine 2.0L I-4 2.2L I-4

Horsepower 260 @ 5,300 rpm 155 @ 6,100 rpm

Torque 260 @ 2,000 rpm 150 @ 4,900 rpm

Fuel economy city 9.3 L/100 km 8.0 L/100 km

Fuel economy highway6.6 L/100 km 5.4 L/100 km

Bore-and-Stroke 86.0 / 86.0 mm 86.0 / 94.6 mm

Curb weight N/A 1,216 kg

Towing capacity 454 kg 454 kg

Exterior length 4,584 mm 4,584 mm

Exterior body width 1,738 mm 1,738 mm

Exterior height 1,415 mm 1,415 mm

Wheelbase 2,623 mm 2,623 mm

Front tread 1,492 mm 1,492 mm

Rear tread 1,476 mm 1,476 mm

Turning radius 5.10 m 5.10 m

Front legroom 1,067 mm 1,067 mm

Rear legroom 834 mm 834 mm

Front headroom 971 mm 971 mm

Rear headroom 908 mm 908 mm

Front hiproom 1,257 mm 1,257 mm

Rear hiproom 1,176 mm 1,176 mm

Front shoulder room 1,349 mm 1,349 mm

Rear shoulder room 1,259 mm 1,259 mm

Luggage volume 397 L 397 L

Luggage volume (max) 397 L 397 L

Passenger volume 2,350 L 2,350 L

Fuel tank 49.2 L 49.2 L

Mechanical 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe

Engine 2.0L I-4 2.2L I-4

Engine - valvetrain DOHC DOHC

Engine - compressor intercooled turbo N/A

Recommended fuel premium unleaded regular unleaded

Battery regular with run down protection regular with run down protection

Brakes Brembo 4 wheel disc front disc/rear drum

Anti-lock brakes (ABS) 4-wheel N/A

Drive type front-wheel front-wheel

Engine block heater N/A optional

Exhaust stainless steel stainless steel

Exhaust, tailpipe chrome polished (optional)

Steering rack & pinion rack & pinion

Speed sensitive steering standard standard

Suspension tuning sport regular

Front suspension strut strut

Front anti-roll bar standard standard

Front shocks gas-pressurized gas-pressurized

Front springs coil coil

Rear suspension torsion beam beam torsion beam beam

Rear anti-roll bar standard standard

Rear shocks gas-pressurized gas-pressurized

Rear springs coil coil

Stability enhancement system StabiliTrak N/A

Transmission 5-spd man w/OD 5-spd man w/OD

Ok, now that we have that, what do we need to fix. Let's start with handling seen as a couple of you REALLY have a bone to pick over this.
Note: Wheel base, size of the vehicle etc etc etc are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME.
In the LS we need to lower, get a better tire and if we want to get better shocks. Here, right from GM:

Steering – power, electric, speed-sensitive, rack-and-pinion S S S
Suspension – front independent/rear semi-independent S S S
Suspension – Premium Ride S S –
Suspension – Performance Handling with monotube shocks – – S

The "S" means standard According to this all I need to do to get on the same page as the SS is SHOCKS I don't even need to lower my car. But well will for ***** and giggles.

And because OTTP Helped us out so much with our build we'll use there site as the "parts source"
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...123/index.html We'll say 700 for Koni Yellows
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...121/index.html Sportlines for 230
Brakes, we'll do for ***** and giggles but believe it or not they don't help you turn a corner they just help you stop quicker. Brembos are NOT necessary. They're just nice to have
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...114/index.html Rotor's for $214
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...115/index.html Pads for $70
So for a little over 1 grand we've just got the suspension and steering beyond the TC. Spend a little more and you can go even further. Wow that was hard.
Oh and a good set of tires. My BFG's cost me $150 installed and balanced per tire but I'm SURE that my BFG's are no where near as good as the stock conti's. Just like I'm sure none of the parts above are possibly better then the stock suspension ON the TC already.

Engine:
Depends which route you want to go. Turbo, go back to page 2, someone already posted a turbo kit for 2grand add a clutch so say another grand by the time you get it installed, a couple hundred for tuning so say 3500 or even 4grand to do the engine. HP gain: 90-100 Say you get the 100 that puts you up around 250. Tuned properly, cooled properly, etc etc etc you CAN get higher then that. Even at 250 that's only 10hp less then your precious TC.

So for say 7 - 8 grand you have just matched and gone beyond the TC. Now of course you can cut costs by getting second hand and waiting for sales, doing group buys etc.

For a little more (or the same depending on how good of deals you get) you can durastically improve the LS over the TC.

I know I know this all takes work, messes with warranty and you can just go out and buy the TC off of the lot and be where you need to be. I'm just PROVING that BUILDING AN LS TO GO ABOVE AND BEYOND THE TC IS NOT HARD. That was with 10mins of research to! But I'm sure I'm wrong and an idiot and I pulled all of this out of my ass and my car is soo much better then yours blah blah blah and he said she said bullshit. But I have now backed my claims and am done with the whine fest of TC owners complaining on here and starting the name calling bullshit I`m done. Think what you want. BlackSS I`ll see you at the track.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

In the LS we need to lower, get a better tire and if we want to get better shocks. Here, right from GM:

The "S" means standard According to this all I need to do to get on the same page as the SS is SHOCKS I don't even need to lower my car. But well will for ***** and giggles.

I'm no TC chest thumper ...... we are all cobalts/g5's......GM econo boxes BUT. All the stuff you list as standard .....is different between models . Can you build an LS to beat a SS .....sure you can . The thing is you've made your car look like an SS .... perform like an SS ....for the same money as an SS....... So why not get an SS?

I've never looked down on a LS/LT model owner just because they have a cheaper car ...or felt superior in some way because i own an SS , I think some of the LS/LT owners look down on SS owners as bought Not built.

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...sion-C188.aspx

Here is a good suspension parts place. At the top there is a FAQ about the cobalt's suspension.

Last edited by rukkee; 11-04-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 AM

Lol I know...seems like kind of a waste to me.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 AM

There is a cavi going around here that sounds exactly like your describing except I know that he dropped a V6 and is running NO2. Best sleeper I have seen around.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC
I will say the LS has a better engine in it.

*runs and hides*
You son of a bitch .

Just a heads up as this thread spirals on the LS vs TC argument; Rocket's husband and I had lined up a date to go to the strip back in August or September to see what it can do but something came up and we had to cancel. Now the snow's started to fly, the tracks are closed, and even if they weren't my wheels are hockey pucks, the car won't hold in 2nd gear from 2600 through to 4000ish and when the snows go on it won't be much better.

In any case, I'm sure we'll hit the strip next spring/summer when we all have time (we live 2 hours apart and the nearest strip for both is another 2 hour drive) and see how it goes. Am I going to lose straight line (I might have stage 1 in by then though so it might not be a fair comparison), it's very possible I'm not sure what to expect but but I'm curious to see what the bugger can do .
Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Though you guys do need to remember the Engineers and developers built the car the way the bean counters would let them. So there is room for improvement and the LNF cars are not the Holy Grail but merely a better starting point. Just a few less stair cases to the top of the building thats all.
take a look above and take a shot in the dark as to what i do.

*sigh* All I was doing was proving my point that it is more then possible to make an LS compete and even beat a TC within a decent price range. There are some (not all but a lot) of TC owners that need to pull there head out of there ass and realize there cars ARE NOT UNTOUCHABLE. Just because I have absolutely nothing better to do and watching you people get your feathers ruffled up because I said the unspeakable let's compare. Then build an LS to keep up with the TC. Note this is all straight off of GM's site. *Also note, I'm sure that some of this CAN'T be true because your buddy down the street has one and there's doesn't have whatever and it doesnt ride like this and can't keep up with that*

http://compare.autodata.gm.ca/compar...dv%3DCHCOGA003 <-- source

Specifications 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe

Engine 2.0L I-4 2.2L I-4

Horsepower 260 @ 5,300 rpm 155 @ 6,100 rpm

Torque 260 @ 2,000 rpm 150 @ 4,900 rpm

Fuel economy city 9.3 L/100 km 8.0 L/100 km

Fuel economy highway6.6 L/100 km 5.4 L/100 km

Bore-and-Stroke 86.0 / 86.0 mm 86.0 / 94.6 mm

Curb weight N/A 1,216 kg

Towing capacity 454 kg 454 kg

Exterior length 4,584 mm 4,584 mm

Exterior body width 1,738 mm 1,738 mm

Exterior height 1,415 mm 1,415 mm

Wheelbase 2,623 mm 2,623 mm

Front tread 1,492 mm 1,492 mm

Rear tread 1,476 mm 1,476 mm

Turning radius 5.10 m 5.10 m

Front legroom 1,067 mm 1,067 mm

Rear legroom 834 mm 834 mm

Front headroom 971 mm 971 mm

Rear headroom 908 mm 908 mm

Front hiproom 1,257 mm 1,257 mm

Rear hiproom 1,176 mm 1,176 mm

Front shoulder room 1,349 mm 1,349 mm

Rear shoulder room 1,259 mm 1,259 mm

Luggage volume 397 L 397 L

Luggage volume (max) 397 L 397 L

Passenger volume 2,350 L 2,350 L

Fuel tank 49.2 L 49.2 L

Mechanical 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt SS 2dr Coupe 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS 2dr Coupe

Engine 2.0L I-4 2.2L I-4

Engine - valvetrain DOHC DOHC

Engine - compressor intercooled turbo N/A

Recommended fuel premium unleaded regular unleaded

Battery regular with run down protection regular with run down protection

Brakes Brembo 4 wheel disc front disc/rear drum

Anti-lock brakes (ABS) 4-wheel N/A

Drive type front-wheel front-wheel

Engine block heater N/A optional

Exhaust stainless steel stainless steel

Exhaust, tailpipe chrome polished (optional)

Steering rack & pinion rack & pinion

Speed sensitive steering standard standard

Suspension tuning sport regular

Front suspension strut strut

Front anti-roll bar standard standard

Front shocks gas-pressurized gas-pressurized

Front springs coil coil

Rear suspension torsion beam beam torsion beam beam

Rear anti-roll bar standard standard

Rear shocks gas-pressurized gas-pressurized

Rear springs coil coil

Stability enhancement system StabiliTrak N/A

Transmission 5-spd man w/OD 5-spd man w/OD

Ok, now that we have that, what do we need to fix. Let's start with handling seen as a couple of you REALLY have a bone to pick over this.

And because OTTP Helped us out so much with our build we'll use there site as the "parts source"
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...123/index.html We'll say 700 for Koni Yellows
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...121/index.html Sportlines for 230
Brakes, we'll do for ***** and giggles but believe it or not they don't help you turn a corner they just help you stop quicker. Brembos are NOT necessary. They're just nice to have
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...114/index.html Rotor's for $214
http://www.ottperformance.com/Cobalt...115/index.html Pads for $70
So for a little over 1 grand we've just got the suspension and steering beyond the TC. Spend a little more and you can go even further. Wow that was hard.
Oh and a good set of tires. My BFG's cost me $150 installed and balanced per tire but I'm SURE that my BFG's are no where near as good as the stock conti's. Just like I'm sure none of the parts above are possibly better then the stock suspension ON the TC already.

Engine:
Depends which route you want to go. Turbo, go back to page 2, someone already posted a turbo kit for 2grand add a clutch so say another grand by the time you get it installed, a couple hundred for tuning so say 3500 or even 4grand to do the engine. HP gain: 90-100 Say you get the 100 that puts you up around 250. Tuned properly, cooled properly, etc etc etc you CAN get higher then that. Even at 250 that's only 10hp less then your precious TC.

So for say 7 - 8 grand you have just matched and gone beyond the TC. Now of course you can cut costs by getting second hand and waiting for sales, doing group buys etc.

For a little more (or the same depending on how good of deals you get) you can durastically improve the LS over the TC.

I know I know this all takes work, messes with warranty and you can just go out and buy the TC off of the lot and be where you need to be. I'm just PROVING that BUILDING AN LS TO GO ABOVE AND BEYOND THE TC IS NOT HARD. That was with 10mins of research to! But I'm sure I'm wrong and an idiot and I pulled all of this out of my ass and my car is soo much better then yours blah blah blah and he said she said bullshit. But I have now backed my claims and am done with the whine fest of TC owners complaining on here and starting the name calling bullshit I`m done. Think what you want. BlackSS I`ll see you at the track.
this is not a I think Vs You think.

its an I know Vs your being dense thing going on here.

take that list and shove it. if you think the only differance between the two chassis set ups are shocks and tires you have allot to learn about chassis dynamics and how to tune such.

your missing the small bits that add up to big differances. such as control arm bushing durometer, roll bar bushings, roll bar end links, sub-frame mounts, suspension mounts, ect, ect.

the list is huge. your little GM option comparing doesn't show you things like that idiot.

if you'd like to go to a road course and argue the point that your hack-job suspension and snazzy street tires will out handle a FE5 equipped car, i'll gladly take time from my schedule to prove you wrong.

Last edited by 06black; 11-04-2009 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Ouch.

Any legitimacy you may have had in this argument just went completely out the window.

Quick Reply: cobalt ls vs. 04 cavy