War Stories Post your racing wins. CobaltSS.net does not support or encourage street racing. Be smart and take it to the track.

Stock LS1 vs Infiniboosted SS/TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ if AWD cars could run in the 5s, they'd already be doing it, no NHRA class needed... just for the bragging rights

they can't... right now they are running what? 7s? making horsepower is NOT the problem, is keeping the drivetrain together, its a lot of fun trying to put 1500+hp to 4 wheels without breaking ****... they simply can't put 2300+ to them
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by amxguy1970
I am not even talking street, if there was an NHRA division for all wheel drive cars they would be knocking on the 5's I bet.... But because there isn't you have Joe the plumber with his performance shop less then 8 tenths away from a factory backed FWD performance team on a national drag racing circuit. As Slo said, you owned your self and didn't even know it.

You talk about what ifs and all things being equal, what do you think would happen if there was a Factory backed NHRA team for AWD cars???

I will give you credit though that at the moment pure numbers wise a FWD car is technically faster then a AWD car through the 1/4, but then again see my statement up top...

All things given equal if you were running two identical 150 HP 15 second cars just one FWD and one AWD, yes the FWD would be able to come back on the big end as there isn't so much power to blow the tires off and find it self in too big of a hole. But anything faster then say a 13 second car with the same terms as above the awd car will always win the 1/4 race and it only gets worse as the power levels increase. Same reason a manual loses more ground with the higher the hp levels compared to an auto. Now as Sho also pointed out earlier there are so many variables if you want to make things equal it isn't even funny. Are you talking slicks on the FWD car to create equal traction? Same exact power levels to the T? Gearing? Areodynamics, ect...

In conclusion if you honestly think FWD is faster then AWD across the board in a 1/4 mile race then you are clearly out side the learning curve when it comes to cars, and I bet I could explain to a 7 year old the basics with two hot wheels and he could even tell me which is faster...

Tyler

And Bama, don't you be jumping on that bandwagon as I had more respect for you then that and thought you knew better, and don't make me bring up the Utes... Haha
Yeah I'm so dumb I don't know anything about awd's. That must be why I'm building a turbocharged drag vehicle that weighs in at 2750 lbs (full interior I might add), that is awd, 5 speed and based on a proven Mitsubishi awd turbocharged platform. Please gtfo or stop trying to attack me with non sense.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM

how you guys manage to fall for it EVERYTIME is beyond me
Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 PM

bring up Utah really? in case you forgot, teams played college football in 2009 as well... how'd that turn out for Utah? what about that Alabama team, did they make a bowl? i missed out
Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_Slobalt
how you guys manage to fall for it EVERYTIME is beyond me
What? the Slowsho argument thread? lol ... every time
Old 03-29-2010, 11:53 PM

this thread is hilarious. yup, fwd rules all. thats why there are loads of high performance fwd cars; oh wait there is none, its either awd or rwd. lamborghini lp640? name a fwd car that keeps up with that stock for stock. because if fwd was so much better, then theyd be using that platform instead, same with porsche. haha tards.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by restonSS
this thread is hilarious. yup, fwd rules all. thats why there are loads of high performance fwd cars; oh wait there is none, its either awd or rwd. lamborghini lp640? name a fwd car that keeps up with that stock for stock. because if fwd was so much better, then theyd be using that platform instead, same with porsche. haha tards.
yes car companies are trying to compete with LP640s stock for stock with $25,000 cars...

and if a LP640 had awd and 265hp, guess what, a fwd car with the same setup would put down MORE whp

and there are some streetable FWD cars that have ran mid-7s, you'll be hard pressed to find an AWD car doing that, because they can't handle as much HP as a fwd setup... its much easier to put power to 2 wheels, whether they be on the rear OR front, than all 4 and not get **** to break... spinning with fwd doesn't break ****(notice I said spinning not wheel hop), dead hooking with AWD does

now with that being said, take the same weight and crank hp from the fwd car, make it a rwd setup and well, it'll be much faster....
Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 AM

08inobama, you still fail to answer why there arent any supercar fwd cars but there are quite a few awd ones? lamborghini, porches, etc. name some high end fwd sports cars. PLEASE. stop beating around the bush and answer my question.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:09 PM

I don't think that's a valid questions in this argument RentonSS ... RWD / AWD is also more comfortable (and has more tradition to it) to drive in that high hp setup. It's also going to be favorable on a road course which Europeans (where Supercars come from) care more about than going fast in a straight line.

However, there's more to it than what you imply.

Every platform has it's pro's and con's, but for an overall production supercar (to answer your question... which is not a Cobalt nor a Subaru), FWD is not an option. Period.

Note: you CAN build the fastest 1/4 mile car to be FWD
you CAN build the fastest road course car to be FWD

With enough time and money... anything is possible.

Also, remember that FWD vehicles were first put into production in the 1970's... AWD has been around since ~1900 in production cars and RWD is, of course, genesis. There's still time lots of time to develop FWD systems...

But I digress, continue arguing about who's dick is bigger until you're blue in the face.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:39 PM

well duh, if money wasnt an issue we wouldnt be arguing about this. oh well i give up. you guys win. this is taking wayyyyy too much time and def not worth it. go back to arguing about how your trap speed doesnt decrease if you run slicks compared to street tires :P
Old 03-30-2010, 04:57 PM

08inobama, you still fail to answer why there arent any supercar fwd cars but there are quite a few awd ones? lamborghini, porches, etc. name some high end fwd sports cars. PLEASE. stop beating around the bush and answer my question.

because AWD is the superior platform in all things NOT drag racing... its even the superior platform for a high horsepower car... being you AREN'T going to have full slicks on your street car... but at the end of the day, a fwd has more potential on the drag strip than an AWD car, FWD cars have gone faster... end of the ******* discussion

go look up e.t.s: FWD's have gone faster

go look up trap speeds: FWD's have gone faster

look up drivetrain loss: FWD's loss LESS horsepower through it

that isn't my opinion on the matter, that is FACT... and is all I or HHR has said on the matter

here are some more facts,

go find the fastest LP640 you can find, there will be MANY fwd civics that are faster

the same can be said for Evos, for every one you find running 9s, you could find 5 fwd civics running 8s... most of the fast Evos, get AWAY from AWD and go to RWD... why? because AWD is awesome when you are talking 300, 400, even 500hp... not arguing that... but those numbers aren't drag racing and when you get into the real horsepower, that is when AWD begins to fail

Last edited by 08inBama; 03-30-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Banned

Wow 08inBama you continue to amaze me with your stupidity.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM

so you are saying FWDs haven't gone faster than AWD cars? they have... both E.t. wise and mph wise... in drag racing, all is fair: drag slicks, the works... he who puts the power to the ground the best and DOESN'T break is going to win the race most of the time: RWD cars are the best at that... AWD cars are best at breaking at that

see you guys are thinking 400whp Street cars, i'm thinking outside the box: if we're talking drag cars, we're talking drag cars... for example look at AMS, they JUST NOW broke 9s with their GTR and everyone is busting a ******* nut... why? they couldn't keep a transmission from grenading in it... they had problems with it running mid-10s... why? that is what 800+ hp does to your drivetrain with AWD, it breaks ****

but everything I have said in this topic is NOT opinion, its fact:

FWD cars have gone faster
FWD cars have less drivetrain loss
MOST awd platform cars that are fast convert to RWD
Old 03-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well duh, if money wasnt an issue we wouldnt be arguing about this. oh well i give up. you guys win. this is taking wayyyyy too much time and def not worth it. go back to arguing about how your trap speed doesnt decrease if you run slicks compared to street tires :P
Didnt see where it says anything about trap decreasing with slicks, but I agree, it definitly does. I lost a whole mph at the track.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
Banned

Keep digging, god you're stupid.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by White_Out
I don't think that's a valid questions in this argument RentonSS ... RWD / AWD is also more comfortable (and has more tradition to it) to drive in that high hp setup. It's also going to be favorable on a road course which Europeans (where Supercars come from) care more about than going fast in a straight line.

However, there's more to it than what you imply.

Every platform has it's pro's and con's, but for an overall production supercar (to answer your question... which is not a Cobalt nor a Subaru), FWD is not an option. Period.

Note: you CAN build the fastest 1/4 mile car to be FWD
you CAN build the fastest road course car to be FWD

With enough time and money... anything is possible.

Also, remember that FWD vehicles were first put into production in the 1970's... AWD has been around since ~1900 in production cars and RWD is, of course, genesis. There's still time lots of time to develop FWD systems...

But I digress, continue arguing about who's dick is bigger until you're blue in the face.
Just to keep facts facts

Prior to 1900
According to various sources, sometime between 1895 and 1898 Gräf & Stift built a voiturette with a one-cylinder De Dion-Bouton engine fitted in the front of the vehicle, powering the front axle. It was thus arguably the world's first front-wheel drive automobile, but it never saw mass production, with only one copy ever made. In 1898, Latil, in France, devised a front-wheel drive system for motorising horse-drawn carts.

[edit] 1900–1920
Experiments with front-wheel drive cars date to the early days of the automobile. Following the Spanish-American War, J. Walter Christie of the USA was working on designs for a front-wheel drive car, which he promoted and demonstrated by racing at various speedways in the U.S., and even competed in the Vanderbilt Cup and the French Grand Prix. In 1912 he began manufacturing a line of wheeled fire engine tractors which used his front-wheel drive system, but due to lack of sales this venture failed.

[edit] 1920–1930
The first successful application of front-wheel drive was the Miller 122 racecar designed in 1924 by Harry Arminius Miller of Menomonie, Wisconsin. However, the idea languished outside of the motor racing arena as no major auto manufacturer attempted the same for production automobiles. Market experiments in the United States were left to small endeavors such as the Ruxton (200 cars in 1929), and the Cord L-29 of 1929. Neither automobile maker was particularly successful on the open market. Alvis Cars of the United Kingdom also introduced a front-wheel drive model in 1928, but it was not a success either.

Front-wheel drive MF layout with engine behind the transmission in the ′30s[edit] 1930–1945
The first successful consumer application came in 1929. The BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company) produced the unique front wheel drive BSA three wheeler. Production continued until 1936 during which time sports and touring models were available. In 1931 the DKW F1 from Germany made its debut. Other German car producers followed: Stoewer offered a car with front wheel drive in 1931, Adler in 1932 and Audi in 1933. In 1934, the very successful Traction Avant cars were introduced by Citroën of France. The Cord 810 of the United States managed a bit better in the late 1930s than its predecessor one decade earlier. These vehicles featured a layout that places the engine behind the transmission, running "backwards," (save for the Cord, which drove the transmission from the front of the engine). The basic front-wheel drive layout provides sharp turning, and better weight distribution creates "positive handling characteristics" due to its low polar inertia and relatively favourable weight distribution. (The heaviest component is near the centre of the car, making the main component of its moment of inertia relatively low). Another result of this design is a lengthened chassis.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by SLoW SHO
Keep digging, god you're stupid.
which is short for:

I have no reply, because FWDs HAVE posted faster E.T.s, HAVE posted faster traps, and HAVE less drive train loss than an AWD drivetrain

go ahead, do some research... and report back as to whether an AWD evo or a FWD Civic have the fastest timeslip you can find... do it for any car, an AWD DSM, whatever your poison is

I already know the answer, HHRSSouth already knows the answer... you all called us out on it, well, prove it wrong, you can't..

you'll reply back with

"damn your stupid"

or some other bull ****, because i'm right on this matter

I mean for example take that picture that was posted of the FWD drag car with 3ft. tall drag slicks... that right there proves my point... why haven't we seen an AWD car with some huge ass slicks and 2000+ whp? because there is no drivetrain that could deliver that horsepower to all 4 wheels and not send parts flying everywhere... with fwd, a big enough slick will get it to hook...

on street tires, yeah, awd>fwd, i've never argued that...
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 09whteSSpssssh
Just to keep facts facts

Prior to 1900
According to various sources, sometime between 1895 and 1898 Gräf & Stift built a voiturette with a one-cylinder De Dion-Bouton engine fitted in the front of the vehicle, powering the front axle. It was thus arguably the world's first front-wheel drive automobile, but it never saw mass production, with only one copy ever made. In 1898, Latil, in France, devised a front-wheel drive system for motorising horse-drawn carts.

[edit] 1900–1920
Experiments with front-wheel drive cars date to the early days of the automobile. Following the Spanish-American War, J. Walter Christie of the USA was working on designs for a front-wheel drive car, which he promoted and demonstrated by racing at various speedways in the U.S., and even competed in the Vanderbilt Cup and the French Grand Prix. In 1912 he began manufacturing a line of wheeled fire engine tractors which used his front-wheel drive system, but due to lack of sales this venture failed.

[edit] 1920–1930
The first successful application of front-wheel drive was the Miller 122 racecar designed in 1924 by Harry Arminius Miller of Menomonie, Wisconsin. However, the idea languished outside of the motor racing arena as no major auto manufacturer attempted the same for production automobiles. Market experiments in the United States were left to small endeavors such as the Ruxton (200 cars in 1929), and the Cord L-29 of 1929. Neither automobile maker was particularly successful on the open market. Alvis Cars of the United Kingdom also introduced a front-wheel drive model in 1928, but it was not a success either.

Front-wheel drive MF layout with engine behind the transmission in the ′30s[edit] 1930–1945
The first successful consumer application came in 1929. The BSA (Birmingham Small Arms Company) produced the unique front wheel drive BSA three wheeler. Production continued until 1936 during which time sports and touring models were available. In 1931 the DKW F1 from Germany made its debut. Other German car producers followed: Stoewer offered a car with front wheel drive in 1931, Adler in 1932 and Audi in 1933. In 1934, the very successful Traction Avant cars were introduced by Citroën of France. The Cord 810 of the United States managed a bit better in the late 1930s than its predecessor one decade earlier. These vehicles featured a layout that places the engine behind the transmission, running "backwards," (save for the Cord, which drove the transmission from the front of the engine). The basic front-wheel drive layout provides sharp turning, and better weight distribution creates "positive handling characteristics" due to its low polar inertia and relatively favourable weight distribution. (The heaviest component is near the centre of the car, making the main component of its moment of inertia relatively low). Another result of this design is a lengthened chassis.
Wikipedia

However, none of these FWD "cars" (3 wheelers, motorcycle powered carriages, etc) you've listed are built using the same principles they are using today (and have been since the late 60's - 70's). Which is why I didn't bring them up. Keep reading that Wiki article and I'm sure they'll mention it if you actually bothered to read.

Cookie for trying though
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by 08inBama
which is short for:

I have no reply, because FWDs HAVE posted faster E.T.s, HAVE posted faster traps, and HAVE less drive train loss than an AWD drivetrain

go ahead, do some research... and report back as to whether an AWD evo or a FWD Civic have the fastest timeslip you can find... do it for any car, an AWD DSM, whatever your poison is

I already know the answer, HHRSSouth already knows the answer... you all called us out on it, well, prove it wrong, you can't..

you'll reply back with

"damn your stupid"

I mean for example take that picture that was posted of the FWD drag car with 3ft. tall drag slicks... that right there proves my point... why haven't we seen an AWD car with some huge ass slicks and 2000+ whp? because there is no drivetrain that could deliver that horsepower to all 4 wheels and not send parts flying everywhere... with fwd, a big enough slick will get it to hook...

You are not going to get proof or an apology from people who don't own a cobalt, who troll a cobalt forum, to prove their car/platform is better.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
Yeah I'm so dumb I don't know anything about awd's. That must be why I'm building a turbocharged drag vehicle that weighs in at 2750 lbs (full interior I might add), that is awd, 5 speed and based on a proven Mitsubishi awd turbocharged platform. Please gtfo or stop trying to attack me with non sense.
Did I say that? No, you did...

Good for you building a awd car drag I wonder why? Maybe because it is better then FWD and you will run faster times?...

Look, I gave you some credit as yes at the moment a FWD is overall in time faster then a AWD car, but I also gave you the reason why. Surprise surprise it is less then a second faster then a home built awd car and it took a NHRA drag car to do it.

I am done arguing with you on this, if you think AWD is slower then FWD then go right ahead but at some point in the future someone is going to come around with their garage built car and out run the FWD NHRA guys and your dreams are going to be dashed, just like when you found out santa doesn't exist or the easter bunny was a ploy or the tooth fairy really wasnt the rock. It is simple common sense backed up by physics that awd has the ability (yes I said ability as it hasn't yet but the resources aren't there either) to easily out run FWD cars.

Since FWD is so fast at drag racing why not take that rear drive shaft off and differential and save some weight in your car and drag race that huh? I bet you would run easily a half second slower if you were in FWD form then awd form..

Tyler

non-sense, some people never learn...

^ drew you really need a new outlook on life bud...

Originally Posted by 08inBama
which is short for:

Agreed...

AWD DSM's are faster then their FWD counterpart... Are there any other cars like those that have equal FWD/AWD set ups? 3000GT maybe? What are they top times?

you'll reply back with

"damn your stupid"

They make vehicles that can handle that power at all four wheels, but they are just alot heavier! That is just an assumption, you beef anything up enough it can handle an AWD launch on slicks, that's just ignorant.

The reason no one has it is too expensive and when they want to spend that much money and go the fastest possible they are going to use the best possible platform and that is RWD for that.

What is the fastest FWD non NHRA car?

^ on any type of grip comparison whether it be slicks or street tires, it's all about contact patch...

I do agree that then they get to a point I have heard many of the guys unbolt the FWD part of their AWD system and just go RWD to save weight, power and expense.

This kind of leads me to another question, anyone know what the fastest IRS suspended car is using RWD only?

Tyler

Last edited by amxguy1970; 03-31-2010 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Premium Member

lol you ended both paragraphs with.....

Tyler

Anyways you all are wrong, rocket sleds are the way to go on a magnetized rail.

Drew
Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM

^ yeah it merged my posts.... I always put my name at the end, force of habit in case I am in trouble they can call me by name I guess?

T-unit
Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM

amxguy, dont waste your breath any more. if these guys drove a rwd car, they would defend it to death and think its the best thing since sliced bread; if they drove an awd car, they would defend it to death and think its the best thing since sliced bread. There are defending thier front wheel drive because thats all they have. PLUS, since they all plan on having over 1000whp its a good thing they bought that front wheel drive car to withstand all those runs down the track. FWD>ALL.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by amxguy1970
Did I say that? No, you did...

Good for you building a awd car drag I wonder why? Maybe because it is better then FWD and you will run faster times?...

Look, I gave you some credit as yes at the moment a FWD is overall in time faster then a AWD car, but I also gave you the reason why. Surprise surprise it is less then a second faster then a home built awd car and it took a NHRA drag car to do it.

I am done arguing with you on this, if you think AWD is slower then FWD then go right ahead but at some point in the future someone is going to come around with their garage built car and out run the FWD NHRA guys and your dreams are going to be dashed, just like when you found out santa doesn't exist or the easter bunny was a ploy or the tooth fairy really wasnt the rock. It is simple common sense backed up by physics that awd has the ability (yes I said ability as it hasn't yet but the resources aren't there either) to easily out run FWD cars.

Since FWD is so fast at drag racing why not take that rear drive shaft off and differential and save some weight in your car and drag race that huh? I bet you would run easily a half second slower if you were in FWD form then awd form..

Tyler

non-sense, some people never learn...

Tyler
You are wrong on so many levels (so now you are psychic)?

I'm building an AWD drag car so I can drive to and from the local track. Also our local track is an 1/8th mile track, which I already said AWD will beat a FWD in. Trust me dude, if I had a local 1/4 mile track and planned on trailering my car, I would have built a FWD if the choices were AWD/FWD.

You need to think a little more before you type about things you know nothing about

amxguy, dont waste your breath any more. if these guys drove a rwd car, they would defend it to death and think its the best thing since sliced bread; if they drove an awd car, they would defend it to death and think its the best thing since sliced bread. There are defending thier front wheel drive because thats all they have. PLUS, since they all plan on having over 1000whp its a good thing they bought that front wheel drive car to withstand all those runs down the track. FWD>ALL.
Hey asshat go look in my gallery you will see a built 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD 5-speed, and a Grand National that I owned.
Keep running your mouth about your Euro trash car, I'm sure its the best car you have ever owned, but don't think that some of us haven't owned better or more then 1 drive train.

Last edited by HHRSSouth; 03-31-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

The stupidity is just awful. I can't even think right now...

Quick Reply: Stock LS1 vs Infiniboosted SS/TC